Sign in to follow this  
Mutai Sho-Rin

The Orville

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

But Mercer acts almost like everyone's sidekick. He doesn't have the gravitas to pull the misfits together in spite of his own issues. And I don't know if McFarlane's actor enough to pull off a tougher Mercer

I realize that, to an actor/producer, the ego must be a factor and I respect that.   Most (if not all) actors/singers/what-not NEED a healthy ego to be performers.   But I also kinda wish that McFarlane would have the vision to get out of his own way a bit.   Whenever I watch the show, I can’t help mentally recasting Mercer; and the choices I come up with in my head are usually loads better.  I think a lot of that is also wish fulfillment; he’s a ST fan (as are we all) and what ST fan doesn’t have a ‘big chair’ fantasy, right?   Well, McFarlane has the resources to make his own fantasies come true, but the show is hurting for it. 

As played, I agree that he feels more like the sidekick than the captain.   

kenman   

I work for a Fox affiliate, and I think they want this show to succeed, because of their ties to MacFarlane and because it probably was a bit more expensive for a comedy than they are used to. My main reason is that usually on Sunday nights with Football, they cut into whatever show they've got on.  Rarely do we have to worry about them pushing shows back, and thus pushing back our news.  But they pushed it back because it was "new."  Where was that mentality when Futurama was on?  So I think Fox is definitely trying to help it along. But I don't think the audience rarely is gonna care.  It's aiming at such a niche audience, as it seemed to be trying to grab those offended by the "not your father's Star Trek" campaign of 2009...saying "oh but we kinda look like your fathers Star Trek!"  And ultimately that's only a sliver of loud Trekkies.  MacFarlane, maybe counting himself among them (who knows really), is overemphasizing the size of such a group...and then filling his TNG fantasy with nothing but predictable humor. 

And Sci-fi or anything off kilter and weird never lasts long on Fox.  I joke each year at work that they should just title some shows "Soon to be Cancelled!" This fits the bill of that kind of show. I think it is being given a chance because of the guy behind it...but I think it is more of a "throw him a bone Family Guy makes money" kind of deal. Unfortunately MacFarlane hasn't constructed an actual joke in years.

11 minutes ago, kenman said:

And Sci-fi or anything off kilter and weird never lasts long on Fox.  I joke each year at work that they should just title some shows "Soon to be Cancelled!"

:laugh:

Each new season they could just number them for convenience;  STBC #2, STBC #3, etc.  :P

1 hour ago, kenman said:

It's aiming at such a niche audience, as it seemed to be trying to grab those offended by the "not your father's Star Trek" campaign of 2009...saying "oh but we kinda look like your fathers Star Trek!"  And ultimately that's only a sliver of loud Trekkies.  MacFarlane, maybe counting himself among them (who knows really), is overemphasizing the size of such a group...and then filling his TNG fantasy with nothing but predictable humor. 

Basically this.

Its back half hour crashed on Sunday without football and starting on the 28th it has to compete.

And, to paraphrase Stewie, I don't think it's got the grapes.

22 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Basically this.

Its back half hour crashed on Sunday without football and starting on the 28th it has to compete.

And, to paraphrase Stewie, I don't think it's got the grapes.

Again, it either has to punch up the humor (and actually make it funny) or just play it as a straight scifi show with bits of levity.  

Either approach has to happen soon, because the show is on a collision course with real network competition soon and I agree; it doesn’t have the grapes. 

I would suggest (as if my opinion mattered, right?) that it get moved to a Fox subsidiary, like FX, it might hold out a while longer.

54 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Either approach has to happen soon, because the show is on a collision course with real network competition soon and I agree; it doesn’t have the grapes. 

It's not going to be a match for ABCs "Shonda Thursday."

55 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I would suggest (as if my opinion mattered, right?) that it get moved to a Fox subsidiary, like FX, it might hold out a while longer.

Yup. Or throw it to Hulu or something. Anywhere without the expectations of network.

55 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

It's not going to be a match for ABCs "Shonda Thursday."

Yup. Or throw it to Hulu or something. Anywhere without the expectations of network.

It would thrive on Hulu.  Hell, it could and would be flagship series (NPI) for a streaming service...

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It would thrive on Hulu.  Hell, it could and would be flagship series (NPI) for a streaming service...

Hulu was actually my first thought with this thing, as with a notable exception their original stuff tends toward lighter fare.

I have yet to see an episode of this, but I saw RottenTomatoes's tomato meter rating and it's still quite bad (20%). Probably will end up being mercifully cancelled. Though then again, stuff happens.

Sign in to follow this