Sign in to follow this  
Rusty0918

"Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles"

This is the first draft or whatever of a fan-fic series called "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles." To honor the 30th anniversary of TNG, I decided that we should look at the adventures of the first Galaxy-class ship, the USS Galaxy herself. While she was commissioned in 2357, she wasn't assigned to proper missions until early 2360, which is where the series starts, four years prior to the beginning of Picard's adventures on the Enterprise-D.

We know the Galaxy has hung in there, lasting at least until 2379 when she was part of Battle Group Omega in "Star Trek: Nemesis." Alas, she fared better than the Enterprise-D.

The captain of the USS Galaxy for the first years in operation is Captain Sonal Chandra. Her great-great grandfather was captain of the Constitution-class USS Essex in the 2260's (you saw him as part of Kirk's court-martial board in TOS's "Court-Martial"). If there was any actress I'd want to see portraying her, it would be Archie Panjabi of "The Good Wife" and "Blindspot" fame. The first officer, Lieutenant Commander Sorista, is a female Shrostian. Her look was inspired quite a bit from Frosta from "She-Ra: Princess of Power," of which I had a childhood crush. The chief medical officer is Dr. Warren M'Benga, a descendant of Dr. Jabilo M'Benga who was a recurring TOS character (he was in the episodes "A Private Little War" and "That Which Survives"). The chief engineer, Lt. Cmdr. Jules Damen, is vertically challenged and in earlier days would have been considered a "dwarf." I at the moment would picture him being portrayed by renowned "Game of Thrones" actor Peter Dinklage. The chief of security is Lieutenant Olaas, a female Elasian (those people from the TOS episode "Elaan of Troyius") - if anyone was portraying her, I'd prefer Marie Avgeropoulos of "The 100" fame. The Ops officer is a male Saurian (those big-eyed aliens who made their debut in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture") known as Lieutenant JG Gonza. The Flight Control officer (helm officer) is Lieutenant Junior Grade Motylla, a female Jadlian. The race name I made up myself, but she is of the same species (and of the same look) as the communications officer of the USS Shepard from "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home," which we saw her making a transmission to Starfleet Command about the condition of their ship after being affected by the whale probe (she was portrayed by the Go-Gos Jane Weidlin - which gave me the name for the alien species). There's a rare photo floating about with her and Nimoy on TrekCore and up close, you can see she was probably supposed to be an alien, with yellow eyes.

I have someone doing the USS Galaxy bridge for me as seen in this thread here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?82357-Star-Trek-Interiors/page39. There are some differences, as no two ships are exactly alike.

I do want to point out that I'm a big outside-the-box thinker here.

The first installment is called "The Sound of the Shiant." In this, the USS Galaxy is ordered by Starfleet to investigate a dangerous spate of ion storms in a frontier sector, which has already caused the loss of other ships in the area. Due to the sector not being prone to such disturbances, could this be the work of some unknown intelligence?

As with the story, you can download it here: https://sta.sh/01hlqanch46

This is a revised version a la September 15, 2017. I adjusted some of the dialogue, elaborated on one of the scenes so it would work better, and a few other little things here and there.

Edited by Rusty0918

Nice. I enjoyed this. I felt a nice nostalgic throwback to when TNG was on TV and yet was a lot of original material to invest in. I miss that era of Star Trek storytelling. Please feel free to read my Kelvin Timeline movie script , Star Trek: The Wonderland Redemption. I would be interested in some feedback if you're willing. 

20 hours ago, Michael G. Bray said:

Nice. I enjoyed this. I felt a nice nostalgic throwback to when TNG was on TV and yet was a lot of original material to invest in. I miss that era of Star Trek storytelling. Please feel free to read my Kelvin Timeline movie script , Star Trek: The Wonderland Redemption. I would be interested in some feedback if you're willing. 

That was the idea, throwing back to TNG and introducing original material. I have another one in the works now, but I'd like to wait on some additional feedback regarding "Sound of the Shiant," there will be revisions. In addition, I know someone who can do illustrations of the USS Galaxy's senior staff, not to mention that bridge model that's being done that I posted the link for.

OK here's a little something extra from "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" - an art commission by JetFreak-7 of DeviantArt showing the USS Galaxy departing Seunta IV from the end of "Sound of the Shiant." Soon I may have artistic renditions of the ship's department heads.

galaxydeparts_by_jetfreak_7-dbna23l.png

9 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

OK here's a little something extra from "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" - an art commission by JetFreak-7 of DeviantArt showing the USS Galaxy departing Seunta IV from the end of "Sound of the Shiant." Soon I may have artistic renditions of the ship's department heads.

That’s just gorgeous.  
Looks like a Pocket book cover (or better!), so help me...

It should. I asked him for another one, from another scene from "Sound of the Shiant." Which reminds me, have you had the chance to look at it, Sehlat Vie?

11 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

Lovely.

I am thieving it to use as a wallpaper and you can't stop me.:P

Edited by prometheus59650

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

Lovely.

I am thieving it as a wallpaper and you can't stop me.:P

df8.gif :P

Here's additional artwork for the first Galaxy Chronicles story - "The Sound of the Shiant." This involves the USS Galaxy coming across the wreck of the USS Poseidon which was investigating unusual ion storm activity in the Hebridian Sector

poseidonadventure_by_jetfreak_7-dbnvtv7.

Edited by Rusty0918

I'm glad you like the color scheme. Looks better than the Enterprise-D bridge, IMHO!

Also coming up are comic-book like illustrations of the USS Galaxy's department heads (captain, first officer, etc.)! I have the first one being done right now, of Captain Sonal Chandra.

1 hour ago, Rusty0918 said:

I'm glad you like the color scheme. Looks better than the Enterprise-D bridge, IMHO!

Also coming up are comic-book like illustrations of the USS Galaxy's department heads (captain, first officer, etc.)! I have the first one being done right now, of Captain Sonal Chandra.

I was never too fond of the terra cotta/beige color scheme of the TV Ent-D bridge, but I liked the darker, bronze-ish color scheme introduced in GEN.  But your version tops them all; it looks more 'spaceship-ish' and not like a spacefaring Hilton. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I was never too fond of the terra cotta/beige color scheme of the TV Ent-D bridge, but I liked the darker, bronze-ish color scheme introduced in GEN.  But your version tops them all; it looks more 'spaceship-ish' and not like a spacefaring Hilton. 

I know, the space-faring Hilton has turned a lot of people off from it. Those secondary command stations make the bridge look less "living room"-ish as well. The Galaxy does carry families initially, although often before perilous missions, the captain will often try to off-load "non-essential" personnel on starbases before going off on hazardous situations (she's not too crazy about the idea of children on starships either). And don't expect me doing any stories focusing on children either. Didn't work well on TNG, although with the 5th season episode "Hero Worship," I am willing to make an exception on that one. Speaking of which, some of the inspiration for "Sound of the Shiant" did come from "Hero Worship" (you can guess which parts if you read it).

I picture the Galaxy undergoing a massive 4-6 month refit starting in late 2371 after the loss of her sister ship the Enterprise-D, which would include many of the systems intended for the Sovereign-class (e.g. Type XII phasers, auto-modulated regenerative shield system, bio-neural computer, maybe even a few Defiant-style phaser pulse cannons tucked away in that dorsal stub in the drive section during separated flight mode). Thought that's down the line from where my stuff is initially set.

37 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

Love the thought you've put into this.  When I get a chance I'll have to sit down and read it!  Stupid broken tablet... 

Shame we don’t live in a time where you could just replicate a new one, right?  

1 hour ago, ashleytinger said:

Love the thought you've put into this.  When I get a chance I'll have to sit down and read it!  Stupid broken tablet... 

I could definitely use some proper feedback on it, since I've gotten so little. The file is a Word document file so you can read it off your computer. It's not quite ready for PDF yet. The finished document will feature the Galaxy's illustrations seen as well as the bridge views and those crew member illustrations I was telling you about.

I'm already working on the second installment.

Perhaps you can give me a hand on some of it. Both the captain AND first officer are female, as is the chief of security - taking a battering ram to that glass ceiling.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Shame we don’t live in a time where you could just replicate a new one, right?  

If only. I've been eyeing an Asus Transformer Micro but it has to wait until we've moved and paid some bills.  It'll replace my old Asus first gen Transformer that was on Android (RIP my little leather bound buddy) with one that's running Windows 10 but I can get back to my digital sketching along with my 3D again. :) 

1 hour ago, Rusty0918 said:

I could definitely use some proper feedback on it, since I've gotten so little. The file is a Word document file so you can read it off your computer. It's not quite ready for PDF yet. The finished document will feature the Galaxy's illustrations seen as well as the bridge views and those crew member illustrations I was telling you about.

I'm already working on the second installment.

Perhaps you can give me a hand on some of it. Both the captain AND first officer are female, as is the chief of security - taking a battering ram to that glass ceiling.

Ahh. I mentioned my tablet as laying in bed is about the only free time I've had for awhile lol.  I'll see about reading it a bit later tonight or this weekend as time allows.

I instituted my own personal rule for my own crews that they had to be at least half female and male, I wanted everyone to be from a different region of Earth or at the very least be descended from vastly different ethnicities or be an alien, and I wanted them to not always get along. Just because they're on the verge of, or are in a utopia doesn't mean the crew won't rub each other the wrong way often and loudly.  I agree though that the battering ram is more than needed on that pesky ceiling. One of the things I love about Discovery so far. What kind of help are you looking for? 

26 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

If only. I've been eyeing an Asus Transformer Micro but it has to wait until we've moved and paid some bills.  It'll replace my old Asus first gen Transformer that was on Android (RIP my little leather bound buddy) with one that's running Windows 10 but I can get back to my digital sketching along with my 3D again. :) 

Ahh. I mentioned my tablet as laying in bed is about the only free time I've had for awhile lol.  I'll see about reading it a bit later tonight or this weekend as time allows.

I instituted my own personal rule for my own crews that they had to be at least half female and male, I wanted everyone to be from a different region of Earth or at the very least be descended from vastly different ethnicities or be an alien, and I wanted them to not always get along. Just because they're on the verge of, or are in a utopia doesn't mean the crew won't rub each other the wrong way often and loudly.  I agree though that the battering ram is more than needed on that pesky ceiling. One of the things I love about Discovery so far. What kind of help are you looking for? 

This more or less follows your personal rule to the letter. Sonal Chandra is of Indian descent (her great-great grandfather, BTW, is a canon character. He was a member of the court-martial board for Captain Kirk in the TOS episode "Court Martial"). Dr. M'Benga (a descendant of the Dr. M'Benga from TOS) is of African descent. The only human Caucasian male department head is vertically challenged. The other crew-members are aliens. Half the heads are female, half are female.

Whatever input you have on the story. The end part is quite unusual (not to mention plays on a variation of some certain fantasy stories, Earth mythology, and even a certain fairy tale that gave me inspiration for some of the elements). I had to adjust it a bit to work. I'm a big "outside the box" thinker here, and it should show on "Sound of the Shiant."

Edited by Rusty0918

2 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

This more or less follows your personal rule to the letter. Sonal Chandra is of Indian descent (her great-great grandfather, BTW, is a canon character. He was a member of the court-martial board for Captain Kirk in the TOS episode "Court Martial"). Dr. M'Benga (a descendant of the Dr. M'Benga from TOS) is of African descent. The only human Caucasian male department head is vertically challenged. The other crew-members are aliens. Half the heads are female, half are female.

Whatever input you have on the story. The end part is quite unusual (not to mention plays on a variation of some certain fantasy stories, Earth mythology, and even a certain fairy tale that gave me inspiration for some of the elements). I had to adjust it a bit to work. I'm a big "outside the box" thinker here, and it should show on "Sound of the Shiant."

Oh you don't have to follow my rules at all, just wanted to give you an idea where I come from with a lot of my own work. 

I don''t mind outside the box at all. Some of my favorites in sci-fi and not just Trek are the outside the box stories that deal with the unexplainable where we really have no idea what we just saw the characters deal with. 

There's an episode of Babylon 5 that I love (sorry it's a tangent but it explains my thoughts) even though it's pretty average for the main story as the b story deals with ancients that have no real explanation and G'Kar has to explain to Sinclair's girlfriend that not everything has an explanation.

Catherine Sakai: Ambassador! While I was out there, I saw something. What was it? 
G'Kar: [points to a flower with a bug crawling on it] What is this? 
Catherine Sakai: An ant. 
G'Kar: Ant. 
Catherine Sakai: So much gets shipped up from Earth on commercial transports it's hard to keep them out. 
G'Kar: Yeah, I have just picked it up on the tip of my glove. If I put it down again, and it asks another ant, "what was that?", 
[laughs] 
G'Kar: how would it explain? There are things in the universe billions of years older than either of our races. They're vast, timeless, and if they're aware of us at all, it is as little more than ants, and we have as much chance of communicating with them as an ant has with us. We know, we've tried, and we've learned that we can either stay out from underfoot or be stepped on. 
Catherine Sakai: That's it? That's all you know? 
G'Kar: Yes, they are a mystery. And I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the universe, that we have not yet explained everything. Whatever they are, Miss Sakai, they walk near Sigma 957, and they must walk there alone. 

A bit of the fantastical and unexplained with your sci-fi, especially Trek, never hurt anyone. ;)

Just now, ashleytinger said:

Oh you don't have to follow my rules at all, just wanted to give you an idea where I come from with a lot of my own work. 

I don''t mind outside the box at all. Some of my favorites in sci-fi and not just Trek are the outside the box stories that deal with the unexplainable where we really have no idea what we just saw the characters deal with. 

There's an episode of Babylon 5 that I love (sorry it's a tangent but it explains my thoughts) even though it's pretty average for the main story as the b story deals with ancients that have no real explanation and G'Kar has to explain to Sinclair's girlfriend that not everything has an explanation.

Catherine Sakai: Ambassador! While I was out there, I saw something. What was it? 
G'Kar: [points to a flower with a bug crawling on it] What is this? 
Catherine Sakai: An ant. 
G'Kar: Ant. 
Catherine Sakai: So much gets shipped up from Earth on commercial transports it's hard to keep them out. 
G'Kar: Yeah, I have just picked it up on the tip of my glove. If I put it down again, and it asks another ant, "what was that?", 
[laughs] 
G'Kar: how would it explain? There are things in the universe billions of years older than either of our races. They're vast, timeless, and if they're aware of us at all, it is as little more than ants, and we have as much chance of communicating with them as an ant has with us. We know, we've tried, and we've learned that we can either stay out from underfoot or be stepped on. 
Catherine Sakai: That's it? That's all you know? 
G'Kar: Yes, they are a mystery. And I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the universe, that we have not yet explained everything. Whatever they are, Miss Sakai, they walk near Sigma 957, and they must walk there alone. 

A bit of the fantastical and unexplained with your sci-fi, especially Trek, never hurt anyone. ;)

Ah "Babylon 5," that show was awesome. It does surpass all the Trek series, in my opinion (and no offense to all who are reading this post who think otherwise). Yeah in some of it, I don't fully explain everything usually to keep things a mystery. I know Arthur C. Clarke stated that any sufficiently advanced technology can be indistinguishable from magic to less developed people. And I saw that episode earlier this year (I was watching the DVDs we had). I only saw the series finale once (and that was with JMS's commentary) all the way through, and (while it's not bad at all) it's VERY hard to watch (even JMS said it himself).

I have another one in the works, where the Galaxy, damaged after battling the Cardassians (the Federation and the Cardassians have that Border War still going on) has to rescue the crew and passengers of a doomed civilian space-liner.

OK you've seen the ship and the bridge? Well how about some of the senior staff who crew the Galaxy? I give you Captain Sonal Chandra!

captain_sonal_chandra_by_rusty0918-dbodb

Edited by Rusty0918

We never saw a female captain in command of a Galaxy-class starship, and I wanted to do something different than an older male veteran. When I first saw the name "Captain Chandra" in the principals part of the "Star Trek Compendium" (which gave detailed information about the TOS epsiodes and movies) in the episode "Court Martial," I thought the name struck me as being a woman (although I was nine at the time).

The Captain Chandra in command of the Galaxy is a direct descendant of the Captain Chandra seen in "Court Martial," his great-great granddaughter.

Sign in to follow this