ashleytinger

Terminus Timeline - Starships and Interiors

19 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 07 by ashleytinger

Lisbeth leaned forward as she noticed the displays suddenly starting to change. 
"Looks like your long ordeal as bridge babysitter is over, Arc. There be console communication here!" she mocked Arcelyn.
"Don't play with me right now," muttered Arcelyn. "I wish to suffer in silence."
"I'm not kidding, Arc. Take a look for yourself," said Lisbeth as one by one the control panels and displays started activating around the bridge.

Started with the 'easier' re-textures of the flat regular shaped displays at the back of the bridge. The sector map turned out pretty well. I think the Damage display is a work in progress especially since the final exterior of the Liberty class isn't quite done yet.

Once again, I like the little details; such the interactive lighting on Arcelyn’s skin, and the detail of the dedication plaque.   Nice. :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once again, I like the little details; such the interactive lighting on Arcelyn’s skin, and the detail of the dedication plaque.   Nice. :thumbup:

One of the things I'm finding is that I do have to play with the lighting quite a bit more when I dealing with any skin tone that's not white or light tan. Kind of like photography where they didn't even take into account other tones when they were developing it, it seems the same goes with the iRay renderer. So there's a bit of experimentation there to get it right. I've had some renders where you can even make out her face which irks the crap outta me. I'm never satisfied on that end though so the experimentation continues. ;)  

civilian_liberty_class_bridge_daz_studio_wip_08_by_ashleytinger-dboerar.png

Arcelyn turned in her chair to look at the consoles coming up one by one. She allowed herself the brief celebratory moment. They were still going to have to test each of the systems to make sure they were working correctly, but this was a huge step up from having nothing to do. 

Lisbeth moved to the comms and got a hold of Emily who was working down in the computer core. "You owe me a week's worth of the late shift"

Emily's voice came through clear over the Engineering station's internal comms. "She did the fist thing didn't she?"

"You'll eventually learn not to take that bet, Emily. Today is not that day," smirked Lisbeth.

Emily sounded annoyed and defeated. "And here I thought the six hours I'd spent down here goofing off would have worn her down. Oh well, back to aligning the core with the ship's network ports."

Arcelyn stared with an annoyed expression at her friend. "You know this bridge isn't that big. I can hear you two."

Finished up the textures for the bridge so one last render, well maybe second to last, while I go work on another part of the ship. A few of the monitors had a red alert version that takes the place of the 'System Nominal' there. The lighting would also probably subtly change as well. Took me a bit longer to tackle these than I thought it would but I think the result was worth it. Does seem a bit weird seeing the 2270's interface working on the 'Hathaway/Enterprise-C consoles instead of the Trek IV Okudagrams, but I'm liking it the more I look at it. 

And now I'm seeing some mesh errors in the support beams. Grrr... That'll need to be fixed, but other than that then this bridge is good to go.  

Like the generous use of color in your console displays!  Feels like a nice nod to both TOS and TMP’s sets.

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Like the generous use of color in your console displays!  Feels like a nice nod to both TOS and TMP’s sets.

Thank you!  Yeah that's pretty much what I was going for. I like the console look from TOS through Search for Spock (and the Saratoga in Voyage Home) where it wasn't all uniform and had that specialized feel for it. It's actually harder to do textures for because it has to be unique and look functional. You can't just throw a blue or green semi-circle with some numbers on it and call it good. Don't get me wrong, the Enterprise A bridge in Star Trek IV is also one of my favorite looks for that bridge and I do like the LCARS and the Okudagrams from the end of Trek IV up through Trek VI, but I fell in love with Trek with Star Trek II so my visual taste is kinda stuck in the early to mid-80s when it comes to Trek. ;)

5 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

Thank you!  Yeah that's pretty much what I was going for. I like the console look from TOS through Search for Spock (and the Saratoga in Voyage Home) where it wasn't all uniform and had that specialized feel for it. It's actually harder to do textures for because it has to be unique and look functional. You can't just throw a blue or green semi-circle with some numbers on it and call it good. Don't get me wrong, the Enterprise A bridge in Star Trek IV is also one of my favorite looks for that bridge and I do like the LCARS and the Okudagrams from the end of Trek IV up through Trek VI, but I fell in love with Trek with Star Trek II so my visual taste is kinda stuck in the early to mid-80s when it comes to Trek. ;)

That’s a common thing on these boards; each person’s favorite vision of ST is usually rooted with the first series/time they fell in love with it.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That’s a common thing on these boards; each person’s favorite vision of ST is usually rooted with the first series/time they fell in love with it.

Yeah my mother introduced me to Star Trek II when I was 6 or so and then proceeded to inundate me with TMP and the original series in re-runs on our local UHF station and I was hooked. 

Thought I'd share some of the other stuff I've been working on this year before I got side-tracked by the Liberty class and her bridge.

I'm working on bringing a Federation Destroyer to life, aka the Saladin class ship I've dubbed the Sephora. This isn't the lead ship of what I've been hashing out as I've been building sets, but she's definitely not just a side ship either. My ideas keep expanding well beyond the first few story ideas I've had. Destroyer Exterior - USS Sephora Test 01 by ashleytinger

I was going for a deep space look and I wanted to see how the render settings would work with a space ship as opposed to an interior. The Connie Kit Parts are from Greywolf Starkiller and the Remapped Saucer was by ptrope. I just put the hull markings you can barely read on there and made her self-illuminate. LOL

From here I went in and re-worked the Motion Picture transporter room I'd built a year or two ago to shrink it down and give it a bit of retro feel to it.
Transporter Room Revamp 2017 - D1a by ashleytinger
2017 Transporter Room Revamp - D2a by ashleytinger
Transporter Room Revamp 2017 - D4 by ashleytingerTransporter Room Revamp 2017 - D3 by ashleytinger

I wanted it more cramped but to have a late TOS look, hence the walls being a solid vibrant color. There's some hints to the TMP tech creeping in in both the console and the wall details. The open device in the side room is the transporter buffer. It's opened there for 'testing' ;)

Transporter Room Revamp 2017 - DST Signage by ashleytinger

Some of the signage around the transporter room and its attached corridor.  I went with an 'A' shaped radial corridor to house the utilities kind of like a corridor based off the A Frame arches we saw in TOS. 

Destroyer Engingeering Exterior Corridor by ashleytinger
Destroyer Engineering Radiation Airlock by ashleytinger

Destroyer Engineering - Heart of the Ship by ashleytinger

Destroyer Engineering - View From the Bulkheads by ashleytingerDestroyer Engineering Build 08 by ashleytinger

The Sephora's Engineering is located in two decks in the saucer since there's not enough room in the neck above the warp nacelle for it. The whole look for the ship is supposed to be a kind of less streamlined TOS style to look like they were headed in the direction of what we got in the Motion Picture but weren't quite there yet when the Sephora launched. Yes I did ape some of the design queues from Phase II. I'm working on converting this set over to be the cargo hold in the saucer of the ship as well in the finest of Star Trek set re-dressing traditions. ;) This was all before I got side-tracked by the Liberty Class. 

Ashley - 3D self-portrait by ashleytinger

And for fun I used one of those photo to 3D morph conversion programs to get my face onto a character for a self-portrait. I might squeeze myself into one of those Starfleet uniforms I've been using at some point, but I wanted to try out a new outfit and some of the fit control settings with it. 

Here's a few more things I worked on this year. I'm plugging away at my Liberty class again too but nothing good to show yet.

Destroyer Concentric Corridor Build Test by ashleytinger

Destroyer Radial Corridor Render Test by ashleytinger

This is a take on the TOS corridors of the Enterprise to work with the Sephora I'd worked on, plus an Orion skin I was playing with. The idea with this was to feel like TOS but be on that border between TMP and TOS and maybe evoke a little Phase II while it was at it. 

Deck 6 Midships Corridor Test 01 by ashleytinger

Deck 6 Midships Corridor Test 02 by ashleytinger

Deck 6 Midships Corridor Test 03 by ashleytinger

I'm using MadKoiFish's Reimagined Connie as my main ship, the Challenger, in my first story I'm working on. I decided to base some of my layout for the ship off the Strategic Designs deck plans for the Constitution and the saucer color coding of the panels on the walls from Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. This is a section of Deck 6 that's basically cut off from the rest of the deck, has 4 Junior Officers quarters, a turbolift, and 4 labs within it. Section E is referred to as midships by the crew. All of the 4 Junior Officers are friends and they can thank their Operations officer for putting the recommendation in for putting them near each other. This is actually like the fourth or fifth time I've tackled the corridors of the TMP Enterprise and the first time I've really been happy with the results. 

I'll be back to working on the Liberty Class tomorrow. :)

On 9/27/2017 at 2:34 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I'm pleased with it too.  Once again, I love your interactive lighting.  Well done.

Thanks!  I'm kind of cringing when I go back to do the secondary hull and Engineering cause those panels don't have padding and I'm going to be tweaking for hours to get it so it's not rendering too much shiny. 

Progress on the Liberty Class exterior continues now that she has a bridge. :)

civilian_scout_ship_wip_09___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dboxjje.jpg

After some hemming and hawing and careful placement I've decided that the Saucer Section of the Liberty class is going to be just 3 decks and that the bridge is going to sit about 6 ft below the actual height of the 'bridge' dome. I figure that gives them some room for the launch systems for the escape pods, an alternate life support system for the bridge and room for long and short range sensor systems above the bridge. The open space will be for life support and other equipment with hatch access in the corridors below them, no direct bridge access that way, but it gives me an excuse to make short horizontal curved Jefferies tubes at some point.  Deck 2 (B Deck) of the saucer will house Sick Bay, a mini transporter, main engineering, some minor holds, all of the quarters for guests and crew as well as a mess hall towards the bow. Deck 3 (C Deck of the saucer) will be the main science section that will tie into the planetary sensors among other things.  I coped the bridge just to see how much wiggle room I'll have for a lab in there.  I haven't decided yet if there will be a turbolift going into the Secondary hull yet or if it'll just be a ladder/stairs combination. We'll have to see how spacing works out. 

As it stands right now, the saucer is 180.025 ft in diameter and 39.980 ft from dome to dome. If you're looking for a comparison, the original TOS Enterprise Saucer diameter was 413.386 ft.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_10___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbp3mee.jpg

While I had some down time between cleaning and clearing out the old house, I put some more work in on the Liberty class. I actually completely rebuilt the saucer from scratch. You can see the old saucer hanging out just above the new one.  When I first did it up it was one solid object. That doesn't work so well when you want to have windows in the rim looking into rooms. Sure I could have done it with images, but screw that. I'm doing it right on this one. So you're looking at a brand new saucer with an actual hull about 4 to 5 inches thick and a hollow interior. Which means I get to start building more things to detail her without marking up her pretty white hull, well other than to paint her id on her anyway.

The top leftt portion is a quick render of the long and short range sensor within the dome on the top part of the saucer. The blue parts will be lit up in DAZ. I'm going to make the 'glass' cover clear but I made it yellow so I could see it and make sure it fit properly.

The bottom right is the planetary sensor array, built similarly to the long and short range, but there's grating between it and the science lab that will dwell in the lower portion of the saucer. Yes, it's my Destroyer's transporter grating, no I'm probably not going to make something new, and this kind of ties the technology together in a way. I imagined that to have some kind of shielding properties anyway, so it works. 

I did keep the sensor design pretty simple, but I don't want too many details clogging up the ship and it's going to get drowned out 89 percent of the time by the light it'll be emitting. 

civilian_scout_ship_wip_11___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbp7wyb.jpg

Played a bit more with my ship between cleaning and binging Game of Thrones on the free HBO weekend. 

She's got saucer markings now, gravitational thruster packages on the saucer (why would they use a conventional thruster system when they have grav plating and artificial gravity?  In a ship this small keeping that much spare fuel for the thrusters wouldn't be practical either way) along with the running lights. And she's finally got an impulse engine.  I might refine the grill after I import it into DAZ cause it's pretty much on the thin side right now.

I started adding some detailing to the secondary hull. Tried a refinement on the torpedo/probe launchers but I think I'll need to rebuild them as it didn't quite work as well as I thought it would. 

I am not done with the saucer as it's going to have windows, but I wanted to work on the rest of the ship a bit first as there's going to be a LOT of interior work on the saucer between the corridor placement as well as room arrangements before I put any windows into her hull. 

24 minutes ago, ashleytinger said:

(why would they use a conventional thruster system when they have grav plating and artificial gravity?  In a ship this small keeping that much spare fuel for the thrusters wouldn't be practical either way)

^
This is a very good question; often wondered that myself.  If they had tractor (and theoretical repulser) beam(s), carrying fuel for thrusters would seem to be a waste.  Then again, the chemicals used in action/reaction thrusters are pretty basic, and probably easily replicated.  

Still; this idea makes a lot of sense to me...

Beautiful work!

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This is a very good question; often wondered that myself.  If they had tractor (and theoretical repulser) beam(s), carrying fuel for thrusters would seem to be a waste.  Then again, the chemicals used in action/reaction thrusters are pretty basic, and probably easily replicated.  

Still; this idea makes a lot of sense to me...

Beautiful work!

Thanks!

Yeah I don't mind the chemical thruster approach but in a lot of the 'approved' starship blueprints those chemical engines are actually fusion engines so the thrusters basically end up being mini-impulse engines. At least that's how they looked on the Voyager blueprints anyway. Which is kind neat but also cringe inducing by having so many fusion engines scattered around the ship in key places. 

civilian_scout_science_lab_wip_01_by_ashleytinger-dbpun8u.jpg

So I was planning on cutting windows into the saucer and ended up building out the bulk of the lab in deck 3 in like a day.

civilian_scout_science_lab_wip_02_by_ashleytinger-dbpwr4n.jpg

Created a scanner, library computer access, two displays tied to each and some bottles with mysterious liquid in them. Add in a PADD that I already made and we have ourselves a 'stocked' science lab for the Liberty Class. 

civilian_scout_ship_wip_12___liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbpuplo.jpg

Here's the Liberty with the Deck 3 windows in the Science Lab carved into her. I've got the science lab internals pretty basic here, most of it is there but is missing some higher poly but smaller items to cut down render times. It is a full interior with lights as opposed to just some textures. Probably a little overkill but she is a smaller ship. 

liberty_class___civilian_scout___science_lab_01_by_ashleytinger-dbq0j4h.png

And I've got her imported into DAZ so have the start of some beauty shots. ;) Science lab is located on Deck 3 of the Liberty class. It's a room with options for the ship as it's a multi-purpose room and really depends on what you put into it. When a Liberty class is slated for construction, the default selection for this area is a Science Lab. It could also function as an observation deck with the right lounge equipment installed. Most Captains go for the Science Lab just to have that option when you're out in space on you're own and don't have back-up nearby.

This is the view looking into the forward window. More renders to come.

Credits:
Rank and combadges by RSchulte
V4 and Genesis from DAZ
New Adventure Uniforms by Uzilite
TOSReboot Textures for UNA by RSchulte

Bridge built in Truepace 3.1
Rendered with DAZ Studio 4.9 and iRay

Did this up real quick. Both ships are a work in progress, obviously. This kind of gives you a size comparison of the Liberty to other Starfleet ships, in this case, the Galaxy Class. 

The Liberty could actually fly right between the neck of the secondary hull and the warp nacelle and still have plenty of clearance. The reason parts of the Galaxy didn't render on this is that I hit the draw distance limit in Truespace. I'm working with real sizes, not scaled down ones at the moment. 

liberty_class___wip_size_comparison_by_ashleytinger-dbq87sx.jpg

I've been plugging away at the saucer section. It has 12 living quarters lining the exterior, each with a window. There's also a crew's mess in the bow, also with windows. The airlocks on either side aren't done yet but I'm working on some ideas. I think what I'll do for the exterior is have a set of retracting doors that reveal a flat area where a travel pod could dock with the standard starfleet airlock set-up underneath. 

I started working out some of my warp engine details. They are far from done, but I did lower them on the secondary hull a little bit. I'm toying with an idea I've seen from the super cars where they're using an electric engine alongside a gas powered engine but instead of making them fuel efficient they instead use the electric engine to boost the hell out of the gas engine's power. So what exactly does that mean? Along with the standard fusion powered Impulse Engines in the primary hull, the Liberty is going to have a set of experimental warp powered impulse engines built into the nacelles. It's an idea. We'll see how bulked up that looks when I put it on there. 

Anyway, the saucer has windows and little rooms behind each of those windows with tables, chairs, food dispensers, beds, and off to the side room behind a wall a sonic shower and a toilet.

civilian_scout_ship_wip_13_liberty_class_by_ashleytinger-dbqg8ja.jpg

Work continues on the Liberty

civilian_scout_ship_wip_14_liberty_class

The saucer now has two airlocks on either side, both capable of hosting a travel pod. It's a tight fit, but it's a fit. :)  I do have an option to move plates in to cover the airlock hatches because I thought I'd have to cut too much out of the saucer rim to get it to work, but I think she looks more... functional? this way. It feels more like a real ship to me, and let's be real, are you going to have yet another set of doors and mechanical parts that could gum up the works for a civilian vessel?

I think I'm done with the exterior of the saucer at this point. So from here I'm focusing on the back end of the Liberty. 

civilian_scout_ship_wip_15_liberty_class

Work has started on the secondary hull. I've tried a new smaller and sleeker looking deflector housing. This one makes it look more modular, like it's an option and not part of the standard build. You can see the old design hanging out off in the space below the new one. I'm not sold on it entirely yet. There are definitely things I like about both of them. I'm also working on new probe/torpedo launchers that aren't quite as set into the hull as the old ones. I might carve a bit into the hull for them as well but haven't decided yet on that either. I've got a lot more freedom to play with the back end and my imagination may actually be a bigger stumbling block than all the little details that went into the saucer.

ashley_starfleet_genesis_3_female_test_by_ashleytinger-dbr127h.png

So I'm testing out some of the Genesis 3 stuff I've got and my old standby Uzilite uniform with a variation. This is the dress and the male pants for a more slightly casual but still in regulation uniform.

Nothing to this, I was just testing her out to see how she looks. Renders hella fast.

Credits:
Uzilite New Adventure
Uniform texture by Rshulte
Genesis 3 from DAZ
Reimagined Connie by MKF

Edited by ashleytinger

14 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I really admire your attention to detail and your clarity of vision.  Your ship really makes sense! :)

Thank you!  I'm trying to keep her as practical as possible while still allowing for a few flights of fancy. ;)

civilian_scout_ship_wip_16_liberty_class

I've done some tinkering with the Liberty's secondary hull and the overall shape. I also added the landing strip section for the shuttlebay but I need to smooth that out and figure out if I'm going clamshell or flat doors for the back end. Probably flat. In the new secondary hull I added two slots that you can fit mission pods into. In this case, the first pod is our standard deflector, unchanged from last time. I reworked my deflector housing though to be a cargo container. Haven't decided what type. The actual Knight Hawk won't use them and will just have a seal to keep the 'bugs and dirt' out of the attachment port on the hull. I did try coming up with a secondary hull design that covered the deflector more, but ultimately it felt too much like the Excelsior and the ship designers just aren't there yet when the Liberty was being laid out. 

Exterior list still remaining: shuttlebay, civilian warp-capable shuttle, torpedo mounts/insets, proper nacelle struts with warp-powered impulse engines (more like vents that have been turned into almost boosters really), the 'warp core' that'll be visible in the front of the nacelles, and of course the nacelles themselves. 

The interior list is... long

Work continues.