ashleytinger

Terminus Timeline - Starships and Interiors

Hi all!

I'm a 3D artist and Star Trek is one of my passions and I've been working on my own project set in my own timeline for awhile building sets, ships, designing characters, uniforms, etc. Thought I'd share what I'm currently working on and maybe update with some more of my other work going forward.

Loosely based off the Okinawa from Starfleet Command II, I've started laying out a 5-6 deck ship (depending on how you count what amounts to a deflector attachment and probe/torpedo launcher). It's going to be more TOS/Phase II that the late TMP style that the Okinawa was and also a bit smaller as the Okinawa was more like 10-12 decks or so depending on how you lay it out based on the lights. I'm thinking this would have been designed and built around the late 2250s and early 2260s. The saucer isn't going to have any deflector grid lines and the whole ship will have minimal markings. The Deflector shields are actually built into the strips running around the saucer itself to project what minimal shielding it had. I haven't decided if she's going to go more TOS without the thruster packages as well or not. They'll get added last if at all. It is a more civilian craft that Starfleet would occasionally build out as a scout or patrol craft. It'll at most sport one shuttle but it'll be nice and fast. Nowhere near as fast as the big Starfleet ships, but for a ship it's size it'll blow most anything away. I'm thinking minimal crew as well as a lot of it would be automated and it wouldn't have a lot of the complicated sensor or other systems the Big E had. Probably minimum of a crew of 5 to run her and at most a comfortable crew of 30 or so to run round the clock. 

Obviously this is just the saucer. Top is looking over the bridge, bottom is straight on at the ship. The neck connection I was going to borrow a bit from Discovery and changed my design, but I'm still working on the impulse deck and whether to build that into the longer portion of the secondary hull that the warp nacelles and engines will be mounted to. 

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 01 by ashleytinger

From there I laid out rough shapes for the Deflector hardware housing and the probe/torpedo launcher. I'd had a rough layout for the secondary hull that would rest about that but then decided I'd make sure there was actual space for a small shuttlebay and cargo area, so the grey rectangles at the back are the space for a shuttle and I wanted to make sure it had room to rotate in the bay and then obviously room for the cargo and to set a cargo container on the floor. I added in roughs for the warp drives and pylons.   

Still need to work out the impulse engine but I did realize that my turbolift/escape pods were too small so I upped their size and they can fit a full size turbolift now

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 02 by ashleytinger

Last night I decided to cut the height of the secondary hull so it'll only holds one stack of cargo instead of two, but we still have a shuttle bay. I have no idea how I wand to cap the end off. I don't know if I want to go more Reliant/Excelsior with the back end with sliding doors or the bandshell style of the Connie. I toyed with several exterior designs for the secondary hull but rounded brick was really the only thing that would hold any kind of cargo and support the warp nacelles while working with my TOS style deflector housing. I don't know why I have like zero issues with the saucers but then completely blank on the secondary hull. 

The deflector dish and torpedo/probe launcher are obviously placeholders but I wanted something there to make sure I'd given it enough space.  I just realized that the dish looks like a Dalek plunger. O.o

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 03 by ashleytinger

Anyway, that's where I'm at with my Civilian Scout/Personnel Transport. Definitely going to update as I move along. :)

Edited by ashleytinger
double paragraph

Welcome aboard Ashley. 

Thanks for sharing your talents with us here at Trekcore OS.  Looking forward to seeing further progress with your work.   :thumbup:

Post often and prosper. ;)

rta-man   

I LOVE ship images!  These are looking great!  Looking forward to more.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Welcome aboard Ashley. 

Thanks for sharing your talents with us here at Trekcore OS.  Looking forward to seeing further progress with your work.   :thumbup:

Post often and prosper. ;)

Thank you!  Will definitely be doing that! :)

On 8/18/2017 at 11:32 PM, rta-man said:

I LOVE ship images!  These are looking great!  Looking forward to more.

I'll be honest, I don't feel all that confident with my ships and spend a lot of time working on interiors to put my characters into to work out some of my stories (although I haven't actually got to the point where I can tell any yet) but I do have a number of ships I've started that I can share at least. This scout is just the latest. :)

Speaking of the scout. I got to play some more this weekend... 

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 04 by ashleytinger

So I tried a few new arrangements with the torpedo launchers. The first two I added a second launcher and tried slinging them just under the secondary hull, then jutting out of the deflector housing, and the last is the revised placement of the single launcher version. Then someone pointed out they looked like googly eyes and I couldn't unsee that, but I also realized that I'd way oversized the torpedo launcher anyway. So I fixed the overall size...

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 04a by ashleytinger

...which left me with a much smaller footprint for the underslung launcher but then I thought I might be able to rework out how I wanted the power to flow to the warp nacelles and fit the launchers into the secondary hull instead and have clearance around the lower part of the saucer. I do like that but I'll have to recess them so they look more like actual tubes instead of weird piping coming out the front. Or nipples on the batsuit. :P

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 05 by ashleytinger

And after finally deciding on a torpedo arrangement I could live with, I then decided I could not live with the Dalek plunger for a deflector dish anymore and modeled one based on the main dish from the Enterprise in The Cage and modeled the dish 'antennae' after the 33" reference model they built of the Enterprise while they were working on the 11ft version. :)

So the scout is coming along just at a much slower pace than I'm used to working as I have less free time.

I am still open to advice or opinions on the torpedo launcher(s) or anything else you can see as I'm still in the more 'layout' and planning step of the 3D build as opposed to the detailing.

The torpedo bay/neck kind of reminds me of the thinking that might’ve led to the Excelsior-class’ neck (which I like).

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The torpedo bay/neck kind of reminds me of the thinking that might’ve led to the Excelsior-class’ neck (which I like).

I was planning on doing refits to the design to keep her relevant through the years. I figure a cheap, easy to operate, easy to build design would hang around for a long time. My first refit would be to bring it up to date to run along with the Excelsior class so that does work perfectly!

Thanks!

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 06 by ashleytinger

So after looking at the bridge dome and turbolift/escape pods for the umpteenth time, the bridge was really REALLY bothering me. My dome on top of my saucer isn't exactly large. The bridge of the week (Enterprise C/Bozeman) won't fit, the battle bridge from the Enterprise D won't fit, the Defiant bridge from DS9 was also too big, so I sketched out a variant of the Defiant that drops two whole stations cause this little ship won't really need them. She's not a combat ship. I don't even know that I need the Captain's chair for the civilian version really. You've got the conn which handles the nav/helm and some ops, an engineering station, and a science station that also doubles as tactical and communications. In a pinch almost everything can be run through the conn by rotating out the controls.

I need to adjust the rear of the bridge to accommodate the turbolifts better and the emergency launch tubes (the turbolift shaft tops and turbolifts double as escape pods) and trim a bit up front and maybe the sides, but this one for all intents and purposes fits. Wow she's a cramped command center. Even the Raven from Voyager has more space. I'm actually thinking I might just forego the main viewscreen and have like a drop down viewer for the Captain or something and make the conn part of the front of the bridge. 

I MAY cheat a bit on this as a physical set since it really DOESN'T actually have to fit in the ship because the bridge is completely enclosed and just build around what I've got here so far and call it good for 'filming' purposes. I'm debating on keeping it all flat and one level like the Defiant bridge or dropping the crew stations down a level or two like was standard on other bridges. I have room going into the next deck especially since the deck right below the bridge is the computer core and life support machinery and not many people will crawl in there.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:37 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Your attention to detail and spatial logic is admirable!   Well done.

I had a suggestion from the DAZ forums to nix the Captain's chair and make this a 'working class' ship and bridge where everyone pitches in. So I borrowed a bit from the Hathaway and Enterprise C's back half of the bridge and made it the front part of mine. 

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 07 - Bridge design 2 by ashleytinger

The center console is still the Conn and the screen above it also functions as the main viewscreen as needed. The left is Engineering and the right is Science. Don't know if I'm going to kit this out entirely or go back to working on the rest of the ship but I do like this too. Might have to try dumping the stations into the first bridge layout I did and see what that looks like.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Like that rear alcove-effect.  Looks cozy. :laugh:

LOL Thanks! It's going to have some kind of display there along with being a nice little meeting area while you're waiting for the lift. ;)

Civilian Scout CS Knight Hawk Dedication Plaque by ashleytinger

Plaque for the now dubbed Liberty Class, designed by the Starfleet Civilian Engineering Corps to provide capable ships to Starfleet citizens. This is actually put together using parts from FuryofaSeraph excellent PSD file.

Civilian Scout Ship WIP 08 - Bridge Detailing by ashleytinger

I decided that I really needed to work on the turbolift as I was getting close to the end of the modeling portion with the civilian bridge. This is probably one of the more complicated parts I've built for my ships interiors in the simple fact that it HAS to work with the escape pods that launch off the bridge deck containing the turbolifts. I did render up a quick sequence here so you can see the airlock door is synced with the turbolift doors. There's a space there so the Escape Pod can launch after the turbolift is in place and it has room to close it's own doors before it separates from the Scout ship. Obviously once the airlock is sealed there's no way off the bridge through that lift. Which reminds me, I need a small Jefferies tube toward the back of the bridge that lets a crewman descend through the ship if they get left behind by the escape pods. So this bridge wasn't quite ready to export into DAZ yet, but she's almost there. 

Back to the tech in the lift, there are gravity plates along the walls of the turbolift running on their own power that work in tandem with the floor plates as well as plates in the ceiling so that when the escape pod launches, the occupants are held in place. Wouldn't do to have your people launching in an emergency escape vehicle to be bounced all over the interior walls. I'm re-doing the paint scheme on the escape pod to match modern day lifeboats like you'd find on cruise ships. The shuttle is getting the same treatment since it's part lifeboat and part tender.

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 01 by ashleytinger

A few things to unpack here

At this point I've started loading up the bridge from Truespace and porting it over to DAZ Studio to make sure everything was coming over like it should. So then I loaded up my Lt. Soras and played around with making her uniform leather, because I lack self control mainly and it amused me to have Starfleet discarding their fiber clothing for animal hide. This is the starboard wall of the bridge, nothing exciting really, just a display, but I needed to make sure my regular lights were ok.

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 01a by ashleytinger

So this one is a pulled back camera shot from the previous bridge load to illustrate just how barebones the set was in DAZ at the moment. 

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 02 by ashleytinger

Tried something new with my console export and actually tagged the textures to the specific console parts as opposed to doing a complicated overlay later in DAZ. This has the added benefit of being able to swap out a single screen texture instead of having to redo a whole texture for that tier on the console. Bonus.

Obviously these are all placeholders for a proper functioning console and display panels. I imagine this is what you'd get on first bootup when it's first being assembled before it ties into the ship's main computer.

Edited by ashleytinger

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 03 by ashleytinger

I loaded in the airlock door and the aft wall of the bridge. I think the back wall is a bit too reflective, or just too bright a color, though as that's a LOT brighter than I thought it'd be. I am pleased with the dedication plaque and how it looks though, so bonus. You can also see the Jefferies Tube access to the bridge in the floor in the event of turbolift failure or say someone prematurely launched the escape pods and you need to try for the shuttlebay.

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 04 by ashleytinger

Made some adjustments both to the position of the aft wall and to it's material settings. A lot less bright now, which is good. I also loaded up the turbolift, the escape pod hatch doors, and then moved the floor and Jefferies hatch forward a good 3 to 4 inches. Other than the door the turbolift is one solid unit and it exported and converted over on the first go, which I was amazed it did. Might still play with the lighting a bit in there but overall I think it works.  With this though the starboard side of the bridge is loaded up and good to go. Now to work on the center console and the port side of the bridge, and eventually better graphics than 'standby' or 'offline' on the consoles.

It’s the little reflections in the walls and ceilings that make it seem very ‘real’ for me.  Just love it!  :thumbup:

45 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s the little reflections in the walls and ceilings that make it seem very ‘real’ for me.  Just love it!  :thumbup:

Well thank you! 

I wish I could take complete credit for the reflections but it's the iRay shader doing the grunt work. I have to tell it what the material is, how shiny, etc,  and everything is self-illuminated through iRay, but it takes what I tell it and makes it all work. Makes my life so much easier as far as making a good looking render.

8 hours ago, ashleytinger said:

Well thank you! 

I wish I could take complete credit for the reflections but it's the iRay shader doing the grunt work. I have to tell it what the material is, how shiny, etc,  and everything is self-illuminated through iRay, but it takes what I tell it and makes it all work. Makes my life so much easier as far as making a good looking render.

It really works well. 

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 05 by ashleytinger

Port side import has begun. I have to admit to simply duplicating and flipping the turbolift and airlock rather than importing the port side from Truespace to DAZ. Two more consoles to go, decide on chairs, and then give the consoles some real textures.  I did get a bit lazy and didn't bother shutting the airlock/turbolift doors. Oops. 

18 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It really works well. 

Indeed!  Good lighting will pretty much make or kill a render. One of the things I started out with making these sets and ships is that they'll be self-illuminated. No extra lighting required unless you're going to want a more dramatic or visual effect. 

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 06 by ashleytinger

Arcelyn dropped into the starboard bridge chair. They'd been waiting for 6 hours for the new computer core to sync with the new bridge stations and all they kept getting from the consoles and the Engineers was 'Please Stand By'. Well, she'd had enough of standing. When she volunteered for this refit she didn't think she'd be babysitting a bridge with nothing going on for days on end. Emily had warned her that it'd be boring, and come to think of it so had Challenger's Chief Engineer, Janelle Westhauer. Arcelyn had done pretty well for the first few days but now there was nothing left to clean, she'd polished the dedication plaque way too many times, and nothing was out of place in the entirety of the bridge space. Slumping she rested her head on her hand and stared at the floor hoping for it to erupt in a sea of sparks so at least something was going on.

"Bored?" asked Lisbeth.

"And the science officer wins a point for not using her tricorder to figure that one out," muttered Arcelyn.

"You know, we all tried to warn you," smirked Lisbeth.

"Oh my gods, I know!"

All the important bits are loaded up. Now I just need to lay down some functioning console textures and the bridge will be ready for her civilian crew.

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I like Arcelyn already.... :thumbup:

Thanks!  She gets testy when there's nothing much to do and she's not allowed to go do something either fun or productive. 

6 hours ago, ashleytinger said:

Thanks!  She gets testy when there's nothing much to do and she's not allowed to go do something either fun or productive. 

She stands with attitude... :thumbup:

Civilian Liberty Class Bridge DAZ Studio WIP 07 by ashleytinger

Lisbeth leaned forward as she noticed the displays suddenly starting to change. 
"Looks like your long ordeal as bridge babysitter is over, Arc. There be console communication here!" she mocked Arcelyn.
"Don't play with me right now," muttered Arcelyn. "I wish to suffer in silence."
"I'm not kidding, Arc. Take a look for yourself," said Lisbeth as one by one the control panels and displays started activating around the bridge.

Started with the 'easier' re-textures of the flat regular shaped displays at the back of the bridge. The sector map turned out pretty well. I think the Damage display is a work in progress especially since the final exterior of the Liberty class isn't quite done yet.