Justin Snead

The Maybe-Im-Willing-to-Give-Enterprise-a-Second-Look Thread

I've seen a few Season 4 episodes and am impressed by them, though I've heard a lot of awful things about "These Are the Voyages..." - which makes me inclined not to watch that particular one.

The rest of my family pretty much gave up on ENT after "A Night in Sickbay," which I can't blame them on, since it's definitely one of the worst things with the Trek name on it (down there with the Voyager episodes "Spirit Folk" and "Threshold.")

Edited by Rusty0918

20 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I've seen a few Season 4 episodes and am impressed by them, though I've heard a lot of awful things about "These Are the Voyages..." - which makes me inclined not to watch that particular one.

The rest of my family pretty much gave up on ENT after "A Night in Sickbay," which I can't blame them on, since it's definitely one of the worst things with the Trek name on it (down there with the Voyager episodes "Spirit Folk" and "Threshold."

I actually find "Threshold" more tolerable than either of them...and that's saying something.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I actually find "Threshold" more tolerable than either of them...and that's saying something.

Yeah, many rank Voyager's "Spirit Folk" and Enterprise's "A Night in Sickbay" below "Threshold." Chuck Sonnenberg aka SFDebris does with "A Night in Sickbay," as David Sluss (who used to do Cynics Corner) did with "Spirit Folk."

I think the whole temporal cold war wasn't that much of a good idea. I was also not too crazy about them using the Ferengi in one episode and the Borg in another.

9 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Yeah, many rank Voyager's "Spirit Folk" and Enterprise's "A Night in Sickbay" below "Threshold." Chuck Sonnenberg aka SFDebris does with "A Night in Sickbay," as David Sluss (who used to do Cynics Corner) did with "Spirit Folk."

I think the whole temporal cold war wasn't that much of a good idea. I was also not too crazy about them using the Ferengi in one episode and the Borg in another.

Threshold is largely just horrible execution of an idea, in this case, what happens if you hit warp 10? The answer: We devolve, just to poke at decades of Trek that talked about man...moving beyond. Tee-hee. So funny.

"Sickbay" and "Spirit Folk" are infuriating simply because they are wrong. They are stunningly wrong. The events in "Sickbay" are all Archer's fault. All of it and it takes him the entire episode before he even grudgingly accepts it. In "Spirit Folk" Janeway is utterly wrong. She's weighing two human lives and one artificial life form against a bunch of holograms that "are real because we care about them" and the ones that are real because we have feelings wins that argument.

It's insane.

With "Threshold" I just roll my eyes and wait for it to be over. With the others? It's far more frustrating because I want to grab these people and, "What the %$#@ are you thinking? What's WRONG with you?" and I can't.

Well back to the subject, I think Enterprise did get better when Berman and Braga were no longer holding the reins (with the exception of "These Are the Voyages..."). Fortunately, they're not helming Discovery.

I'm going to take a gamble that this thread is a reasonable place to post the following comment- apologies if I've gotten it wrong:

I'm about to give Enterprise a first look. It's the only Trek series I haven't seen and I haven't seen any of it, broadcast trailers aside. I was busy at the time it aired and made a conscious decision to set the whole series aside for later when I could (try to) enjoy it at leisure. Now, it appears, is that time.

I'm going to watch it all in production order on Blu-ray. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or silliness for me to consider before/while doing so?

Wish me luck!  :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, spectator said:

I'm going to take a gamble that this thread is a reasonable place to post the following comment- apologies if I've gotten it wrong:

I'm about to give Enterprise a first look. It's the only Trek series I haven't seen and I haven't seen any of it, broadcast trailers aside. I was busy at the time it aired and made a conscious decision to set the whole series aside for later when I could (try to) enjoy it at leisure. Now, it appears, is that time.

I'm going to watch it all in production order on Blu-ray. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or silliness for me to consider before/while doing so?

Wish me luck!  :thumbup:

When it's bad, it's pretty bad. I mean, "A Night in Sickbay" makes me angry at Archer, and I've only ever seen "These Are the Voyages" once and will never watch it again. As far as I'm concerned it's apocryphal.  

That said, Enterprise really gels the crew as a family quickly in a way I hadn't seen since the TOS films, and I find that I like it much more now than I remember when it first aired, and far more than I still like Voyager.

Good luck. :)

29 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

When it's bad, it's pretty bad. I mean, "A Night in Sickbay" makes me angry at Archer, and I've only ever seen "These Are the Voyages" once and will never watch it again. As far as I'm concerned it's apocryphal.  

That said, Enterprise really gels the crew as a family quickly in a way I hadn't seen since the TOS films, and I find that I like it much more now than I remember when it first aired, and far more than I still like Voyager.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for the details! I'll watch for that steep cliff at the end. For me, it won't take a whole lot to best Voyager, but I'm starting my first re-watch of Voyager since it first aired, as well, so maybe it will improve in my estimation.*

*I'm not holding my breath.  ;)

Best advice I can offer is to ignore everybody's advice.  A Night In Sickbay is one of my favorite episodes if you let it be played for humor as intended.  To each his (her) own.

In general, I look at Enterprise as sort of another missed opportunity...not as bad as Voyager in terms of missed opportunities, but still a missed one.  I actually find the crew of Enterprise to be one of the dullest in general...but that doesn't mean the show isn't without it's highpoints.  I actually grew to like it.  I did like the first half of Season 3 a good deal, because at least it had focus...but then it dragged on and felt as meandering as the first two season mostly were.  The fourth season is definitely were it all came together and (mostly) began to work.  But while I really loved tht Fourth season when I first went through the show (which I did long after the series ended, I too missed it in original airing)...when I tried not too long ago to rewatch my favorite story from Season 4...I found it's entire shooting style and everything to feel quite dated. Not to it's own era either, it felt liek a shooting style that belonged to the 90s Trek. Just rather stiff.  I don't know...I still like Enterprise in some ways, particularly that final season, but I think even when the show began to click for fans and become something fun...it was still being produced in this antiquated style, that I don't think it would have ever taken off.  It was just a victim of a production crew that had been working on the same stuff so long, they had kind of forgotten how to make it fresh, at least in the shooting of the thing. 

That all said: watch it and form your own opinions.  It is certainly not as bad as so many lamented at the time, and I personally rank it higher than Voyager, but for me Voyager was a low low bar.  And at least there was less Enterprise to get through. Someday I will probably give this series another go...probably just the fourth season...but I think I have to be into a super deep 90s-ish Trek mood.  Deep enough to have exhausted viewings of TNG or DS9.

Thanks for the additional details, opinions and encouragement, gang! I'll be starting season 1 very soon and will find (or make) a good place to post some first impressions/reviews.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, spectator said:

Thanks for the additional details, opinions and encouragement, gang! I'll be starting season 1 very soon and will find (or make) a good place to post some first impressions/reviews.

The ENT Episode discussion threads could use some dusting... http://theomegasector.com/index.php?/forum/64-ent-episode-discussions/

In light of the Mirror Universe plot on Discovery, I'm probably going to give 'Into a Mirror, Darkly' another viewing.

I think that ENT was a victim of bad timing. 9/11 had such a big impact on pop culture in the early 2000's. The writers tried to tap into that with the Xindi plot lines and Archer's increased hostility, but it didn't go over well. The temporal cold war was another miss, like they had to tap into the far future to overcome the prequel problem. Season 4 is worth a watch though IMO. Many didn't like 'These are the Voyages' although at the time I liked dipping into TNG nostalgia. 

Enterprise got good in its final season but too little too late. If it had been like that early on, it might well have lasted. Wished they had managed to show the start of the Romulan War at least. Visualise episodes with it all going to pot and the bridge crew hearing the news war is declared and then classic cliffhanger with..."TO BE CONTINUED".

3 hours ago, Benedict said:

Enterprise got good in its final season but too little too late. If it had been like that early on, it might well have lasted. Wished they had managed to show the start of the Romulan War at least. Visualise episodes with it all going to pot and the bridge crew hearing the news war is declared and then classic cliffhanger with..."TO BE CONTINUED".

I tend to agree with the too little too late sentiment.  That last season is the best of Enterprise, but the bar wasn't terribly high. Season 4 in someways feels like a good start to a show, and if that had been the awkward first season, well what a joy the show could have become.  But the first two seasons are like Voyager rehash and undeveloped/uninteresting characters...with no clear direction other than a Temporal Cold War that always felt wrongheaded to me (it seemed to say this is a prequel but we've created this in story excuse for why it isn't an accurate prequel and thus negating any point of making it a prequel), and the only satisfying element to that whole storyline is when it ended with "and it all never happened now I guess, moving on." And if the ongoing War arc of the third season focused on the Romulans instead of the Xindi (which while their different types of races was unique and interesting, it was also just a confusing mess)...then the series could have had better focus with a classic villain. 

By the time we get to Season 4 it's like starting over.  The way that Temporal Cold War plotline ended was almost like "now it never happened, now you can go back to your universe the way it was always meant to be."  So I think in my head canon, the previous seasons are iffy at best, temporal cold war machinations screwing it all up...and they only get on the track to being the true TOS prequel at the start of Season 4.  Which again, it feels sort of like a rocky first season to me, as opposed to a show finally hitting it's stride, even though technically that is what it was...it was just still a kind of clumsy stride.