Sign in to follow this  
Rusty0918

What if you had to squeeze the WORST of TNG in one season

Recommended Posts

I saw the previous post about the best - but let's see what we can put in the sewers.

"Shades of Gray" - the clip-show definitely fits

"The Naked Now" - bad take off of a good early TOS episode - and the one that really wrecked Wesley Crusher's character (I don't think he ever recovered from that one).

"Code of Honor" - racist piece of crap

"The Last Outpost" - the one thing that's really cringeworthy in this is the blabbering about Uncle Sam and colors on flags - which I don't really understand so much on how it relates to the Ferengi. Not to mention they sure didn't work out as the predators that the folks on TNG wanted.

"Lonely Among Us" - the entity part was decent but that whole unresolved Selay/Antican thing at the end really hurt this one

"Justice"

"Haven"

"Angel One"

"Too Short a Season" - the thing that really sinks this episode is the awful music

"When the Bough Breaks"

"Skin of Evil"

"The Outrageous Okana"

"Up the Long Ladder"

"Manhunt"

"Qpid"

"The Host" - I'm inclined to agree that I can't see anyone wanting to totally surrender themselves to a symbiote. DS9's retcon of this handled things a lot better.

"The Game"

"Cost of Living"

"Imaginary Friend" (of the damned)

"Man of the People"

"Rascals"

"A Fistful of Datas"

"Aquiel"

"SubRosa"

"Masks" - why change an entire space vessel into a friggin' stone temple?!

"Genesis"

Some of you may disagree on some of these - but I'd like to see your two cents on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I really hate "The Last Outpost." The twitchy Ferengi are the worst of it. Otherwise, it seems to be a fairly run-of-the-mill Roddenberry Trek story.

Personally, I wouldn't call, "When the Bough Breaks" or "Up the Long Ladder" the worst either. The former is basic Roddenberry and unremarkable. The latter has some good moments and I actually think the back half redeems it.

I hate "The Host" way more for Crusher's broad-brushing of humanity for her own flaws more than the actual plot. "Ethics" annoys for many of the same reasons.

"Cost of Living" simply blows. Luaxana Troi probably has lots and lots of restraining orders against her.

I straight up like "Rascals." I find it fun. I hear Patrick Stewart with, "I wanna see my father! Now, now, now!"

I like "The Game" as well. It's sort of a zombie thing and it appeals.

"Aquiel" is horrible and "SubRosa" is worse.

I like "Genesis," too. I've always liked the 'wrecked ship' theme and it's well-acted, even if the problem is a bit contrived.

I like, yet very don't, Barclay'sfirst episode. Sure he's an introvert with anxiety and that's causing problems on the ship for him, but, for supposedly evolved people they are insanely rude and disrespectful to him throughout, and no hint of aplogy.

"Galaxy's Child?" Awful for LaForge alone. He makes a holo-girlfriend. Okay. Barclay sort of did, too, and his fantasies are his business just like LaForge's are, but where he crosses the line is that he's actually upset with her for being upset with him almost to the point where I'm almost surprised he didn't demand she apologize. 

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well some of them aren't obvious than others.

One thing in "The Last Outpost" that made no sense was referring to the Ferengi as "Yankee Traders" and there was a talk about Uncle Sam and countries with primary colored-flags near the beginning of it. That's a cringe-worthy scene in itself. Can't really wrap my head around that.

"Genesis" may have had decent acting in it but its premise was well...ugh. IMHO, it was sort of a preparation for Voyager's "Threshold."

"Rascals" really drove home how much of a glass jaw the Enterprise-D had in combat (no wonder it was trashed in Generations).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yankee traders" was just to classify the Ferengi for the viewer before they showed, though, yes, the flag scene was utter filler.

"Genesis" works for me despite its contrived premise. The Reliant/Federation basically lost complete track of a solar system and TWOK still works.

As for the D, with so many civilians aboard, it really should have been better armed for its size and apparently crap maneuverability. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all have differing opinions.

Some episodes receive a really bad rap though:

"Home Soil" for one - the concept of "ugly bags of mostly water" was quite original - not to mention non-organic life.

"Loud as a Whisper" also gets a bad rap - although I can't see how an alien race kept kicking the crap out of each other for a millenia. The concept of Riva was quite interesting.

"The Bonding" - yes it's a kid episode but it's one of the better ones - in how Jeremy Aster has to cope with his mother's death and a group of aliens who try to give him a fantasy.

"Night Terrors" - I know some say it's weak, but it gives you a lot of guess-work into what's happening (Troi's nightmares, etc.). It's also a rather disturbing one but not as bad as some make it out to be.

"Hero Worship" - one of the better "children" episodes, dealing with a traumatized child and such. Nice Data episode too.

I'm not saying these are masterpieces, but they aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite agree on "Home Soil." I think it gets hit because it looks cheap. but, then,most of the show looked cheap in season 1.

"Loud as a Whisper," too. It's a good premise.

"The Bonding" is just...awful. This kid's mother gets IED'd and the kid is just left alone? No. And it's not this episode's fault, but Worf makes him a member of his family and he never mentions the kid again, even in passing? Considering how Worf ends up treating Alexander, it's probably for the best.

And, to be honest, the only thing I find wrong with "Night Terrors" is Troi. Never liked her all that much, though she's worlds better than Crusher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer   

Journey's End aggravates me, the Wesley story-line is beyond annoying. The 'Picard's ancestor was evil to First Nations' is eye roll worthy. What's worse is that they essentially recycle this awful episode into Star Trek Insurrection. I think this one even beats out Sub Rosa as the worst of Season 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Journey's End aggravates me, the Wesley story-line is beyond annoying. The 'Picard's ancestor was evil to First Nations' is eye roll worthy. What's worse is that they essentially recycle this awful episode into Star Trek Insurrection. I think this one even beats out Sub Rosa as the worst of Season 7. 

What I find ludicrous in this episode is:

- Troi...TROI...is the one who gives Picard a little history lesson.

- I don't buy that this tribe has sufficient command of its history to be able to point to Picard and definitively say that one of his ancestors wronged them.

- That the Cardassians are just going to leave these people alone.

 

And that the Federation did not simply adopt Picard's solution for the entire DMZ (If you're still on territory ceded to the Cardassians in 6 months you have abandoned your Federation citizenship and whatever happens to you happens) ASSURES another Cardassian/Federation war.

And none of this even touches the Wesley end of the story and how much silly it contains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

What I find ludicrous in this episode is:

- Troi...TROI...is the one who gives Picard a little history lesson.

- I don't buy that this tribe has sufficient command of its history to be able to point to Picard and definitively say that one of his ancestors wronged them.

- That the Cardassians are just going to leave these people alone.

 

And that the Federation did not simply adopt Picard's solution for the entire DMZ (If you're still on territory ceded to the Cardassians in 6 months you have abandoned your Federation citizenship and whatever happens to you happens) ASSURES another Cardassian/Federation war.

And none of this even touches the Wesley end of the story and how much silly it contains.

Didn't think it was as bad as "SubRosa" or "Genesis," but yeah - knowing the Cardassians and their schemes, they sure as heck wouldn't leave that world alone. And well, I get the impression they didn't (henceforth the formation of the Maquis). I doubt those people would also have concrete knowledge that one Picard's ancestors wronged their tribe either, though it is possible that the character is not 100% French, he might have some Spanish blood in him as well.

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

"The Bonding" is just...awful. This kid's mother gets IED'd and the kid is just left alone? No. And it's not this episode's fault, but Worf makes him a member of his family and he never mentions the kid again, even in passing? Considering how Worf ends up treating Alexander, it's probably for the best.

And, to be honest, the only thing I find wrong with "Night Terrors" is Troi. Never liked her all that much, though she's worlds better than Crusher.

As with "The Bonding," yeah it would have been interesting to see how Jeremy Aster developed. From what we know, he moved back with his aunt and uncle on Earth (or wherever). It would have been interesting if he served on a Klingon ship during the DS9 years. Maybe he would be good friends with Alexander. Though as I say, while not a standout, I do like the issues that were brought up in it, such as the loss of parenting, not to mention Wesley Crusher's weighing in on things, etc.

Yeah, Troi was always a weak character - but that didn't bring down "Night Terrors." Though I do admit it can be a bit of a dreary episode - not that it's bad per se.

You know, another that gets me I think speaking of which is "Identity Crisis" - is infecting others the *ONLY* way that the UV species reproduces? If so, you run into a LOT of problems. I mean, to survive on that world, they would have had to have reproduced in some other way. Furthermore, wouldn't there be any indication on Tarchannen III's logs about them encountering weird footprints, etc.? You'd think that in the initial survey. That being said, the first away team scene (when the Enterprise and Leijten) check out the outpost is creepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dillkid   

Code Of Honor - It's racist and offensive. "A WOMAN?!" 

Lonely Among Us - It's just not a very interesting story. P for Picard!! 

Justice - "CAN'T RUN?! We can run can't we Commander!!"

Haven - Cringe

Angel One - More Cringe

The Outragous Okana - Not intersting in the slightest

The Dauphin  - A boring Wesley love story

The Icarus Factor - Pure filler

Up The Long Ladder - Embarrassing

Manhunt - Filler

Shades Of Grey - Really?

The Hunted - A Troi love episode

The Loss - Troi gets snappy

Qpid - The worst Q episode, cringe

Half A Life - Boring!

The Host - Dr Crusher gets some action

Violations - Fell asleep 

The Masterpiece Society - How many times do I have to watch Troi with men?

Cost Of Living - Troi's mother equals filler

Man Of The People - Another bad Troi show

Rascals - Awful awful

A Fistful Of Datas - A terrible holodeck show

Lessons - Picard shouldn't have love interests, it never worked

Suspicians - Dull

And I've ran out of TV time slots, season 7 was missed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dillkid said:

Code Of Honor - It's racist and offensive. "A WOMAN?!" 

Lonely Among Us - It's just not a very interesting story. P for Picard!! 

Justice - "CAN'T RUN?! We can run can't we Commander!!"

Haven - Cringe

Angel One - More Cringe

The Outragous Okana - Not intersting in the slightest

The Dauphin  - A boring Wesley love story

The Icarus Factor - Pure filler

Up The Long Ladder - Embarrassing

Manhunt - Filler

Shades Of Grey - Really?

The Hunted - A Troi love episode

The Loss - Troi gets snappy

Qpid - The worst Q episode, cringe

Half A Life - Boring!

The Host - Dr Crusher gets some action

Violations - Fell asleep 

The Masterpiece Society - How many times do I have to watch Troi with men?

Cost Of Living - Troi's mother equals filler

Man Of The People - Another bad Troi show

Rascals - Awful awful

A Fistful Of Datas - A terrible holodeck show

Lessons - Picard shouldn't have love interests, it never worked

Suspicians - Dull

And I've ran out of TV time slots, season 7 was missed.

Season one definitely had the most cringeworthy episodes, and season two definitely had its fair share of them too. I'm with you on your choices for Season 1 episodes.

I beg to differ about "The Loss" - the Troi part I wasn't too crazy about but the 2-dimension life forms on a single plane, that was intriguing.

I'm with you on "Qpid" being the lamest Q episode - it was most certainly that.

Lwaxana Troi was definitely a blight to the series. Ugh. Picard had to have been a saint to put up with her. So I'm with you on the Lwaxana episodes!

The only thing I liked about "Violations" was Riker's memory of all hell breaking loose in engineering for the most part.

I hear you about "Man of the People" and "Rascals."

"Lessons" wasn't that bad. I think it was a cautionary tale about the dangers of love while being in the field and the perils of such, and Picard's limitations. It did also bring back the one tune from "The Inner Light" and such.

"Suspicions" was interesting in that it had a Ferengi who was a different type of person than the usual greedy Ferengi we've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

"Lessons" wasn't that bad. I think it was a cautionary tale about the dangers of love while being in the field and the perils of such, and Picard's limitations. It did also bring back the one tune from "The Inner Light" and such.

"Lessons" didn't work because she just seemed, in many ways, like Picard when, up until that point he'd seemed attracted more to more outgoing women with, well, spunk, like Vash or Kamala from "Perfect Mate." She had that spark even if she wasn't as out there with it as Vash.

Darren just seemed bland.

If she'd actually been a different character than written, the episode would have worked.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

"Lessons" didn't work because she just seemed, in many ways, like Picard when, up until that point he'd seemed attracted more to more outgoing women with, well, spunk, like Vash or Kamala from "Perfect Mate." She had that spark even if she wasn't as out there with it as Vash.

Darren just seemed bland.

If she'd actually been a different character than written, the episode would have worked.

 

Good point, she was a bit bland. Still though, it does explore the dangers of relationships within the ranks of Starfleet.

Looking at the ones I would replace on Dillkid's list - I would replace these:

"Suspicions" with "SubRosa" (that was a real stinker right there)

"The Masterpiece Society" with "Masks" (the whole premise of that episode just made no sense. WHY would a sophisticated piece of technology transform the ship into a friggin' stone temple? "Masks" has more than earned a spot at the bottom.

"The Icarus Factor" with "Genesis" - "Genesis" also more than earns a spot in the sewers. Yeah "The Icarus Factor" was a filler, but I didn't think it was that bad. Explored both Riker's and Worf's characters some. But that whole devolving thing was terrible (not to mention a "dress rehearsal" for the even worse Voyager episode of "Threshold!").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Good point, she was a bit bland. Still though, it does explore the dangers of relationships within the ranks of Starfleet.

Looking at the ones I would replace on Dillkid's list - I would replace these:

"Suspicions" with "SubRosa" (that was a real stinker right there)

"The Masterpiece Society" with "Masks" (the whole premise of that episode just made no sense. WHY would a sophisticated piece of technology transform the ship into a friggin' stone temple? "Masks" has more than earned a spot at the bottom.

"The Icarus Factor" with "Genesis" - "Genesis" also more than earns a spot in the sewers. Yeah "The Icarus Factor" was a filler, but I didn't think it was that bad. Explored both Riker's and Worf's characters some. But that whole devolving thing was terrible (not to mention a "dress rehearsal" for the even worse Voyager episode of "Threshold!").

I can agree with a lot of this. "Sub Rosa" is terrible. Not sure what's worse, zombie grandma or sexeh time with the green fog.

I kind of like "Masterpiece." I can totally do without the Troi romance. But I like the exploration of a genetically sculpted society like that, and the second moral quandary they threw in about how to deal with the people that wanted to leave. Sort of a two-fer there.

But "The Icarus Factor..." I really do not care about Worf's second or third of eleventy dozen, "What does it mean for me to be Klingon?" episodes, and, Kyle Riker, from beginning to end, is just punchable, until your knuckles bleed punchable.

 

"Genesis?" This is a guilty pleasure. I like wrecked ships, the premise, and it's pretty well-acted. Picard and Data  sell it. And, to be honest, I hate Crusher, and I appreciate having further evidence of her incompetence. :)

Edited by prometheus59650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you about "Masks." The only thing that was cool about that was the mood lighting in the Enterprise-D corridors on red alert. But still, I mean, why would some high-tech gizmo turn a passing ship into a stone temple? It makes zero sense whatsoever.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:12 PM, prometheus59650 said:

"Genesis?" This is a guilty pleasure. I like wrecked ships, the premise, and it's pretty well-acted. Picard and Data  sell it. And, to be honest, I hate Crusher, and I appreciate having further evidence of her incompetence. :)

Hey, did you get my private message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this