Comiskeybum

If this is true its a game changer! Whoa!!

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Why is Khan supposed to be the game changing breakout villain of all time? They keep going back to that tired well. The books are awesome though. It is probably just a rumor anyway.

Star Trek doesn't have to have a Joker. It kind of does in TNG with Q being like Picard's foil and villain. It's what they should have done for a final roundup, not his clone.

Agreed - this isn't a superhero franchise. There seems to be a formula for this in regards to baddies.

I don't think we need a Khan series - though then again that doesn't me we won't get it. They stuck us with a white-washed Khan in STID.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:34 PM, Rusty0918 said:

Agreed - this isn't a superhero franchise. There seems to be a formula for this in regards to baddies.

I don't think we need a Khan series - though then again that doesn't me we won't get it. They stuck us with a white-washed Khan in STID.

Yes but most die hard fans didn't like it. I wasn't offended or anything, not like some of my close friends, but it was strange to make Khan like that. I think it has just been done too much. Make the next movie or series not about 'dark baddie of the week' and come up with something more like man versus nature, or supernatural, or something. How would Pine Kirk handle Vger? Ha!

Can they make sure Khan is Indian this time?

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, The Founder said:

^ Yes, please.

This makes me think: All assuming this rumor about a Khan miniseries is true -- Could it be that some people behind the new generation of tv ST are really ambitious?

That this is not just the common stunt to pander to recognition value -- but that someone behind it thought:

Fans wanted a reimagination of the TOS era, but NuTrek disappointed them. They wanted more about Khan, but they got Cumberbatch. These NuTrek folks just didn't deliver, because they didn't really care. Now we will show them how to do it right! We will give the fans new TOS-nostalgic Trek with DSC and more about Khan, and this time, they will have no reason to complain! We will make up for the disappointment NuTrek brought to the fandom, by giving them the nostalgia they truly wanted, with great respect to canon.

But perhaps that's too much to hope. Perhaps the CBS guys are just utterly stupid suits, too, who don't realize that marketing is not the sole reason for people to buy pop culture, and that fans are not nearly as stupid as they think they are. :cry:

However, if true, that means CBS apparently wants to truly milk the Star Trek franchise now. Not just one show, but also a miniseries. If halfway successful -- that's great, because that would set the precedent for even more, perhaps bolder and more "niche interest" Star Trek shows: And in the end, we fans might really get what we want.

If the suits see that even Star Trek sells that isn't tailored according to their marketing ideas -- and perhaps even sells better than the stuff they had in mind? They might be bolder in the future and allow something *new* to be done with Star Trek.

Edited by Sim

12 hours ago, The Founder said:

If this rumor is true, and I'm increasingly doubtful (there's NO word on it here at Vegas ST con), I'd say a bit HELL YEAH to that...

One of my best friends is Indian-American and it's a bit embarrassing to see whitewash casting esp with the HUGE talent pool of Indian actors all over the world.

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If this rumor is true, and I'm increasingly doubtful (there's NO word on it here at Vegas ST con), I'd say a bit HELL YEAH to that...

One of my best friends is Indian-American and it's a bit embarrassing to see whitewash casting esp with the HUGE talent pool of Indian actors all over the world.

Though Meyer did say he's working on another Trek-related project... sooner or later, we'll learn about that, no matter what it is.

Some conspiracy videos on Youtube state that Meyer is supposed to drop hints every now and then that he's working on something else and that his series is the "backup plan" in case Discovery fails.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Some conspiracy videos on Youtube state that Meyer is supposed to drop hints every now and then that he's working on something else and that his series is the "backup plan" in case Discovery fails.

Or it's just a test balloon... testing how the fanbase reacts on various rumors that come up...

26 minutes ago, Sim said:

Or it's just a test balloon... testing how the fanbase reacts on various rumors that come up...

Hmm... if they had actually bothered to listen to the Discovery test balloon results when the first ideas for a new series emerged they would have noticed that "prime timeline but pre Kirk" was pretty much at the bottom of everyone's wish list, lol. I doubt they're very much into listening to what the fanbase wants. BUT they are interested in profit margins, so, I wouldn't put it past them to test media response, how wide-spread the rumors get depending on who publishes them, who picks them up and who doesn't, etc. That sort of test balloon I can see.

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Hmm... if they had actually bothered to listen to the Discovery test balloon results when the first ideas for a new series emerged they would have noticed that "prime timeline but pre Kirk" was pretty much at the bottom of everyone's wish list, lol. I doubt they're very much into listening to what the fanbase wants. BUT they are interested in profit margins, so, I wouldn't put it past them to test media response, how wide-spread the rumors get depending on who publishes them, who picks them up and who doesn't, etc. That sort of test balloon I can see.

Okay, this is pure speculation of course... but let's also keep in mind that "the powers that be" at CBS aren't a monolithic block. There are lots of rumors about the repeated delays of DSC, and no matter if true, we can assume one or the other head was rolling behind the scenes.

Maybe the original deciders who initiated DSC in the first place (and who insisted on NuTrek compatibility) aren't the same who now asked Meyer to work on whatever he's working on and/or are releasing these cryptic comments that result in rumors?

Maybe even "the suits" learnt a few tricks in the process of creating DSC?

(For example, if the rumors are true about Netflix wanting its money back after they saw the first designs, because Netflix felt this isn't Star Trek -- you could safely assume CBS fired next to all people responsible for the original concept.)

Edited by Sim

The rumors assume Nick Meyer would only work on a TWOK or Khan story, based on earlier posts and tweets. Months ago, it was a story set during TUC, and then Dsc trailers came out, and it was a prequel, and this was before Fuller, 'and the rumored third of the team with him', dropped out.

Now we have a lot of wild speculation from dedicated fans guessing that Dsc is going to fail, hoping it will, so they can say 'see my idea was better', but they never were allowed to submit their idea, so there is that. 

Mr. Meyer did other things besides Khan. He directed other fantasy, thrillers, and regular films. Doing that tired idea again would torpedo the chances of this working. Only the die hard TWOK fans might approve, hardly the demo they are looking for. They know full well how Cumber-Khan was received. Doing another would be unwise, as a recent comment on TrekMovie about this rumor said a week back.

I suspect Mr. Meyer has already been let go from Discovery and will not be involved in any future Star Trek stories, not even the new movies. Paramount controls the movies. CBS controls the shows. If he were going to help on Star Trek 14, or 4, then that is Paramount. This would be conflated on the net though with his work on the first Star Trek 4, TVH from 1986, and a lot of searches would link to that.

Even if it appears in imdb, fans can occasionally edit those. I would have to see it in a reputable news magazine, from him, claiming there is something,

This appears to have originated from before the Discovery teaser trailer, back when Fuller was still there, and Meyer involved also, and when it was an anthology. Meyer was going to write the 'movie era' part in season two. He was going to do a story that felt like TUC. not TWOK, in tone. That also got mixed in with the old Captain Sulu rumors, and went from there. That was older, before Beyond.

Beyond (Paramount) under performed, so it is unlikely the same people will be working on another, or hiring on a man from the classic days to revitalize it (in films). (Paramount and CBS can talk to each other). Seeing as how they like new and upcoming directions, they aren't going back to the well.

If Discovery fails, they (at CBS) would not go with anthology again. It seems more a sequel to Enterprise than a prequel to Kirk. Not sure why they would choose such a niche that nobody would even know, and not simply go with, it's 30 years after TNG and things changed. Making sense and logic though don't seem to be things the suits do at CBS.

If it was not even hinted at in Vegas last week, it is not happening. Rumors at the cons would be all abuzz.

Edited by Chimera82405