Comiskeybum

If this is true its a game changer! Whoa!!

But the very fact that he is the one doing it is beyond amazing.  If true.  We really need a major news feed to back this up.

Just look at what happened Friday.  Ben Affleck supposedly signed to do a trilogy for Batman and a Batman Beyond movie.  It blew up on youtube until people noticed that the article was written by EDWARD NIGMA.   

I’m only half-believing this news (I have read it on other sites, but it seems to all come from the same source).   To be honest, I’m not really that excited about this; for me, the question of Khan’s exile had been well covered in the Greg Cox books (“Reign in Hell”) and the "Ruling in Hell" graphic novel.  

1065961.jpg61U0a-zbG3L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Either version worked as head-canon for me; and frankly, the missing years of Khan’s exile are less interesting to me than his earlier life during the Eugenics Wars.

eugenicswars.jpg

We shall see... 

I wish this was true, although I do have my doubts as well due to the fact that there's only one "source".

Anyways, a planet-based series based more on drama/character interaction and VERY much less on sci-fi elements would interest me a lot. I don't care about starships and whatnot (which is one reason why I have zero interest in Discovery), but base things on a planet and have good character scenes and nice episodes with decent plots and I just MIGHT be in for the ride even though I'm not exactly a Khan fan.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I wish this was true, although I do have my doubts as well due to the fact that there's only one "source".

Anyways, a planet-based series based more on drama/character interaction and VERY much less on sci-fi elements would interest me a lot. I don't care about starships and whatnot (which is one reason why I have zero interest in Discovery), but base things on a planet and have good character scenes and nice episodes with decent plots and I just MIGHT be in for the ride even though I'm not exactly a Khan fan.

As a character I think Khan is very overrated.  He dead-ends for me rather quickly (in either Montalban or Cumberbatch incarnation).   I don't believe, as some do, that he is ST's Darth Vader because Star Trek doesn't have Darth Vaders.  It's Star Trek, not Star Wars.

And yes, I still can't verify this beyond the one source so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.  It's nothing more than internet rumor at this point.  If I hear it from Variety, the LA Times or Meyer's own mouth I might be more inclined to believe it.  As it is now?  It sounds more like rumor.

As for planet-based drama?  I get that.  Space opera is not everyone's liking (and you have a very specific and carefully cultivated niche in your fandom...hehe ;)).  

There was Greg Cox's excellent Eugenics Wars novels (above) which were entirely set on Earth in the latter part of the 20th century (Khan's origin in 1970 to his exile in 1996), with no space stuff at all (save for a few TOS/TNG/DS9 'Easter eggs' scattered throughout the stories).   But they're pretty much earthbound.   I'm not necessarily recommending them to YOU per se (I think I know your tastes well enough by now), but for me, they more than satisfactorily answer the missing years of Khan's life. 

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As a character I think Khan is very overrated.  He dead-ends for me rather quickly (in either Montalban or Cumberbatch incarnation).   I don't believe, as some do, that he is ST's Darth Vader because Star Trek doesn't have Darth Vaders.  It's Star Trek, not Star Wars.

And yes, I still can't verify this beyond the one source so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.  It's nothing more than internet rumor at this point.  If I hear it from Variety, the LA Times or Meyer's own mouth I might be more inclined to believe it.  As it is now?  It sounds more like rumor.

As for planet-based drama?  I get that.  Space opera is not everyone's liking (and you have a very specific and carefully cultivated niche in your fandom...hehe ;)).  

There was Greg Cox's excellent Eugenics Wars novels (above) which were entirely set on Earth in the latter part of the 20th century (Khan's origin in 1970 to his exile in 1996), with no space stuff at all (save for a few TOS/TNG/DS9 'Easter eggs' scattered throughout the stories).   But they're pretty much earthbound.   I'm not necessarily recommending them to YOU per se (I think I know your tastes well enough by now), but for me, they more than satisfactorily answer the missing years of Khan's life. 

I detest TOS Khan's misogyny and I really have problems with him basically Stockholm-Syndroming that officer until she's nothing but a puppet on a string and I really hope they wouldn't do any such thing in a new series AND I'm not into Khan as a person AT ALL... buuuut... a drama series? Planet-based? With easter eggs, as you say? I'd find this one interesting and would definitely check it out. I could still decide that I don't like what I'm seeing, but at this point, if it were true (still doubting it very much), I'd be interested to hear more. I don't care when they set the series in Khan's life - some say they would set it after his exile, which would be even more awesome somehow, some say they'll set it during the Eugenics Wars - whichever it is, as long as it's planet-based I'd be in.

There is also very little risk of annoying the fanbase too much with a planet-based series, btw. Planets aren't starships, and no one would be yelling "this bridge doesn't look like one on a ship set during TOS!", especially not if they set it after Khan's exile. But, on the other hand, this is not really what Trek is about, there's no space exploration, no 'going where no one has gone before', no warp drive, no technobabble. Therefore I doubt the majority of the fandom would easily go along with such a series. Some of the key sci-fi elements are missing, and while I personally would gladly ditch them for the sake of more character exploration, 99.9% of the Trek fandom DOES consist of sci-fi fans.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I detest TOS Khan's misogyny and I really have problems with him basically Stockholm-Syndroming that officer until she's nothing but a puppet on a string and I really hope they wouldn't do any such thing in a new series AND I'm not into Khan as a person AT ALL... buuuut... a drama series? Planet-based? With easter eggs, as you say? I'd find this one interesting and would definitely check it out. I could still decide that I don't like what I'm seeing, but at this point, if it were true (still doubting it very much), I'd be interested to hear more. I don't care when they set the series in Khan's life - some say they would set it after his exile, which would be even more awesome somehow, some say they'll set it during the Eugenics Wars - whichever it is, as long as it's planet-based I'd be in.

There is also very little risk of annoying the fanbase too much with a planet-based series, btw. Planets aren't starships, and no one would be yelling "this bridge doesn't look like one on a ship set during TOS!", especially not if they set it after Khan's exile. But, on the other hand, this is not really what Trek is about, there's no space exploration, no 'going where no one has gone before', no warp drive, no technobabble. Therefore I doubt the majority of the fandom would easily go along with such a series. Some of the key sci-fi elements are missing, and while I personally would gladly ditch them for the sake of more character exploration, 99.9% of the Trek fandom DOES consist of sci-fi fans.

Greg Cox’s first two Khan books were his ‘rise-to-power’ books and had nothing to do with space or other planets, etc.  

***** SPOILERISH TALK FOR COX’S KHAN BOOK TRILOGY *****

His third book was the Khan-in-exile book, and to be honest, it was my least favorite of the three.  I think Cox tried a bit too hard in that book to explain away things that were simply continuity errors or best left a mystery.  For example; Khan’s henchman changing names from Joaquin in "Space Seed” to Joachim in TWOK.  The real-world explanation was that (I think?) it was supposed to be the same character; but Cox does an overly elaborate walk around it.   Or why does Khan wear only one glove in TWOK (answer: he burned his gloved hand really badly... a fairly mediocre explanation).   And a lot of the book is simply spent with Khan growing more bitter and watching more of his people die.  I realize that last book was penned in creatively by the events of TWOK, but it’s also what I detest the most about straight-line prequels; they’re usually just ‘filler’ before more interesting events to come.  If they explored something that wasn’t covered in “Space Seed” or TWOK (maybe one of Khan’s people goes rogue and starts his/her own faction elsewhere?) that might’ve worked.  Just as I think having Benedict Cumberbatch play a Section 31 agent created by Khan’s DNA rather than play Khan himself would’ve worked better as well...

But those first two books had a very cool, almost X-Files vibe to them; with “Assignment Earth”’s Roberta Lincoln and Gary Seven going undercover to topple the rising, secretive Eugenics movement which had mysteriously sprang up all over the Earth and was quietly seizing power.   Cox even managed to cleverly work in some real-life world disasters, such as India’s Bhopal railway/chemical disaster of 1984, into the mythology of Khan Noonian Singh.   I also liked how Khan and Seven were allies at one point, till Khan’s thirst for power destroyed that alliance/friendship.  

Those first two books were WAY more interesting than the third, IMO; mainly because they covered totally unexplored territory in Khan’s mythology.  

The final book is basically Khan’s monologue to Chekov in TWOK stretched over a few hundred pages...

Anything that doesn't have to do with space (and that doesn't have too much useless action or superheroes) has me curious. :happy: I wouldn't touch Trek books with a stick but if they draw some inspiration from these plots for that rumored series, why not. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Anything that doesn't have to do with space (and that doesn't have too much useless action or superheroes) has me curious. :happy: I wouldn't touch Trek books with a stick but if they draw some inspiration from these plots for that rumored series, why not. 

The first one was the best IMO, though the second one is a nice continuation (but it does involve a teensy bit of space stuff at the very end with Khan’s launch aboard the Botany Bay...).

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The first one was the best IMO, though the second one is a nice continuation (but it does involve a teensy bit of space stuff at the very end with Khan’s launch aboard the Botany Bay...).

A BIT of space stuff won't hurt, as long as it isn't a series set on a starship or space station with space battles and ugh, yawn.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be gently shoved to the forum gates soon if I continue to talk like this

Just now, Mr.Picard said:

A BIT of space stuff won't hurt, as long as it isn't a series set on a starship or space station with space battles and ugh, yawn.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be gently shoved to the forum gates soon if I continue to talk like this

cute-nope-nope-nope-gif-187.gif :P

No space opera shenanigans... promise. 

Make it a planet soap opera and OMG YES. Khan as some sort of JR Ewing or Alexis Carrington Colby... oooh looove. He DOES have the ego AND he would most likely be an anti-hero of the show anyway, so they might as well go there. Haha.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Make it a planet soap opera and OMG YES. Khan as some sort of JR Ewing or Alexis Carrington Colby... oooh looove. He DOES have the ego AND he would most likely be an anti-hero of the show anyway, so they might as well go there. Haha.

Well, Khan is nowhere near as charismatic or hilarious as J.R. Ewing or Alexis Colby, but he does have the ego thing down pat...:laugh:

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Well, Khan is nowhere near as charismatic or hilarious as J.R. Ewing or Alexis Colby, but he does have the ego thing down pat...:laugh:

See? SEE? This can work. Okay I want that series even more now. :laugh:

Sim   

Robin posted a while back (2 or 3 weeks ago, I think) an interview with Meyer where he alluded he's working on a different Trek related project.

Either that supports this news... or the guys at geekexchange just read that interview too, and felt like speculating a little...:laugh:

At any rate, more (and different kinds of) Star Trek are always good news! So... yay! :laugh:

That said, I agree with Sehlat that Khan is an overrated character. TWOK was a great movie, and Khan just perfect in it... but I don't think we really need much more about this character, his story was told.

I'd rather see more about the 24th century... but hey, more Star Trek is always better than no Star Trek.

Frontier   

IF cast extremely well, and IF it doesn't just cover 15 years of blowing sand storms but, like the books, covers Khan's rise and beyond, I could see it being really cool.

I, for one, am hoping Discovery is successful enough that CBS brings Fuller back to do his original anthology idea. That would be great.

I'm ready for another golden age of Trek TV.

6 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

At the moment I wouldn't take stock of this, unless it's truly confirmed. I just can't see this happening though.

I don't see where you go with it. They struggle to survive...there's some sort of schism with the survivors...the Reliant eventually shows.

I've read books that covered it and while they were interesting enough...I don't see a series in  this.

Well - it would have to be a limited run series since the appeal of it would be of a niche. I for one am not too crazy about the idea, although I could be in the minority.

15 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Well - it would have to be a limited run series since the appeal of it would be of a niche. I for one am not too crazy about the idea, although I could be in the minority.

True.

I just think there are more interesting stories to make a limited series out of.

True - but Khan's time in the Eugenics Wars and his marooning on Ceti Alpha V would be for a real niche audience. That being said, stuff has been known to happen.

C.Lovett   

Well if this series takes off, I'll give it a chance (Kinda depends on who they pick to play khan)

Why is Khan supposed to be the game changing breakout villain of all time? They keep going back to that tired well. The books are awesome though. It is probably just a rumor anyway.

Why not use any number of other villains? They've been trying to remake a TWOK film since TWOK.

Star Trek V, charismatic leader takes the ship.

Star Trek VI, charismatic Klingons try to start a war and one of them is quoting from the classics.

Star Trek Generations, charismatic and mad scientist wants to destroy planets, lets Klingons destroy Enterprise D.

Star Trek First Contact, charismatic Borg enemy seeks to rewrite history, and Picard quotes Moby Dick.

Star Trek Insurrection, oddly boring but driven planet of eternal youth has evil stock villain, but he's trying to be like a baddie.

Star Trek Nemesis, a Khan rip off, but the twist, from a mile off, is the Khan character is a clone of Picard, and wants to destroy Earth instead of just rule a freaking empire planet. But, Shinzon, you have the power of the Romulan fleet and could rule it, and with your warship subjugate hundreds of worlds. No, I must go use my powerful warship to stop Picard! Ugh.

Star Trek 09, another riff of Khan, but the villian uses time travel, kind of by accident, and then once back in time, kills Vulcan and tries to do the same to Earth. Ent gets pretty shot up. This Nero guy just devastated billions on the planet, the fleet is wrecked by super black hole making minin warship thing, ship, and there seems little else anyone can do. No, we have to destroy Kirk. What? But Kirk is insignificant. We should just lethim onto our ship to stop us. What? Insert snark and obvious face palm from his second. But Spock is there and takes him out.

Star Trek Into Darkness, a Khan rip off with Khan in it, only he is bad ass Fight Club banker Khan. You also feel no back story, because to these characters, young pre Space Seed Kirk and Spock, they haven't known of him for 16 years like in TWOK. Ent gets pretty shot up again. Khan and Marcus have a powerful warship that can take on anyone, and they choose the Enterprise? A fistfight on a garbage scow moving at speed? How are they staying on that surface? It looked cool, but it was ridiculous. And the base jumping again. The Vengeance? Really? Isn't that a wee bit obvious?

Star Trek Beyond, even there, stock villain alien with a secret agenda wants to destroy a space station. Kirk must stop him, but his ship is brought down on a planet, finally destroyed, and he has to find another one. Granted it is a better film than ID with better characters.

As someone said back on old TW, Khan is not the Joker to Kirk's Batman. He just happened to get a movie sequel to his episode.

I hope Meyer is not really considering this.

This isn't one of Orci's and Kurtzman's ideas, is it? We know how well STID went over with die hard fans. 

The films though had to tell a story with a good guy and a bad guy. I give them that. They get 2 hours to tell a quick and fantastic upscale story, not just a generic episode. A movie has to be way better than an episode. Gen in Insurrection were like just good episodes. They weren't big enough. Even Beyond was a very good episode, but not quite epic. Sure, it had the pretty space station, and a cool destroy the ship (again) scene, but the rest was just a charming episode on a planet.

Star Trek doesn't have to have a Joker. It kind of does in TNG with Q being like Picard's foil and villain. It's what they should have done for a final roundup, not his clone.

Edited by Chimera82405