Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Karl Urban is Also Hopeful for a STAR TREK 4

7 hours ago, scenario said:

Didn't the new Kirk cheat to get around the Kobayashi Maru in the first movie. Use an alternate George Kirk, (a shadow kirk or something) as a KM test. JT Kirk's only option to save the Enterprise is to let his dad die again. Yes it mirrors the Spock death scene but the movies are going to copy stuff anyway. 

It could also be a film that follows two different stories. Maybe Kirk uses stories of his father as inspiration for something he is trying to figure out and flashbacks show his father's story.

1 hour ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It could also be a film that follows two different stories. Maybe Kirk uses stories of his father as inspiration for something he is trying to figure out and flashbacks show his father's story.

There’s that as well.

What I’m hoping they avoid is Star Trek: Field of Dreams.   I don’t want George Kirk to cross dimensions just for a game of catch in an Iowa cornfield turned baseball field.   The return (if it has to happen at all, and I wish it didn’t) should be a significant event, and it should allow the possibilities for dramatic conflict and advancement of the overall story.    

No baseball games at dusk with dear departed dad, please...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There’s that as well.

What I’m hoping they avoid is Star Trek: Field of Dreams.   I don’t want George Kirk to cross dimensions just for a game of catch in an Iowa cornfield turned baseball field.   The return (if it has to happen at all, and I wish it didn’t) should be a significant event, and it should allow the possibilities for dramatic conflict and advancement of the overall story.    

No baseball games at dusk with dear departed dad, please...

Well, I meant a dramatic event. Maybe a villain that faced both Kirks. That'd be interesting. Kirk has to use his father's strategies to find his own way to defeat the villain. Also, I'm sure they wouldn't play baseball, so much as ride motorcycles together.

John Cho just talked to Collider about the possibility of a STAR TREK 4 - I have a feeling this movie will not goinna happen. The cast has become too expensive.

With Star Trek back on TV now, do you think there’s any chance that you’ll ever do a fourth film? Have you heard anything, one way or the other?          

CHO: I have not heard anything. I will say that I think that Star Trek is gonna keep going. I don’t know in what iteration, but there’s something essentially appealing about that set-up. Star Trek assumes the best of our species. We need Star Trek to exist in our culture, and I think it will. It will always have a place. I have no idea whether I’ll be returning or whether they’ll do more of our particular iteration, but I’m very confident that Star Trek will keep going and going.

http://collider.com/exorcist-season-2-john-cho-interview/#images

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

John Cho just talked to Collider about the possibility of a STAR TREK 4 - I have a feeling this movie will not goinna happen. The cast has become too expensive.

With Star Trek back on TV now, do you think there’s any chance that you’ll ever do a fourth film? Have you heard anything, one way or the other?          

CHO: I have not heard anything. I will say that I think that Star Trek is gonna keep going. I don’t know in what iteration, but there’s something essentially appealing about that set-up. Star Trek assumes the best of our species. We need Star Trek to exist in our culture, and I think it will. It will always have a place. I have no idea whether I’ll be returning or whether they’ll do more of our particular iteration, but I’m very confident that Star Trek will keep going and going.

http://collider.com/exorcist-season-2-john-cho-interview/#images

Gus

I'm not so sure about that.

John Cho is currently doing television ("The Exorcist" S2), and Zoe Saldana might be lured back.  I think the biggest question mark is Chris Pine.  Yes, they're expensive but if they reduced costs by other means (i.e recycling sets from DSC's production house, less location work, etc) it could be done. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

John Cho is currently doing television ("The Exorcist" S2), and Zoe Saldana might be lured back.  I think the biggest question mark is Chris Pine.  Yes, they're expensive but if they reduced costs by other means (i.e recycling sets from DSC's production house, less location work, etc) it could be done. 

I think Pine and Quinto are the only ones signed for STAR TREK 4

Saldana may be  busy with the AVATAR sequels

Urban is co-starring on THOR RAGNAROK and he may ask for more money

Gus

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Before Beyond went into production, both Pine and Quinto were optioned by Paramount for $6M. As in advanced $6M. Now I don't know anything about how that works insofar as when that option has to be exercised.

But I suspect $6M keeps Trek 4 penciled into their schedules for a long while.

29 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Before Beyond went into production, both Pine and Quinto were optioned by Paramount for $6M. As in advanced $6M. Now I don't know anything about how that works insofar as when that option has to be exercised.

But I suspect $6M keeps Trek 4 penciled into their schedules for a long while.

I was also thinking about Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I believe that it is both the least costly Star Trek film and the most profitable. If they can manage to do that, again, it could help bring the cast back.

38 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

I was also thinking about Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I believe that it is both the least costly Star Trek film and the most profitable. If they can manage to do that, again, it could help bring the cast back.

I dunno...I mean, if I give DSC the upper end of its suspected budget, two hours of that show looks pretty bleepin' good for $18M.

Commit to, say, something like a Mirror Universe, and I can think of a lot of ways to largely bottle it.

Or, I've always thought the story Red Squad told in "Valiant" about how they got into a pitch battle with a Cardassian ship, both were badly damaged and first to get weapons going again won.

I think that'd make a nice, tense, potentially action-packed, low budget (comparatively) bottle movie.

It can be done.

30 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I dunno...I mean, if I give DSC the upper end of its suspected budget, two hours of that show looks pretty bleepin' good for $18M.

Commit to, say, something like a Mirror Universe, and I can think of a lot of ways to largely bottle it.

Exactly. For me, I'd rather have a great story than lots of space battles. However, both can work. What would also be interesting is if they brought the characters into a miniseries, with a lowered budget. That way, more dialogue and stories can be had instead of a lot of action. With many stars doing television work these days, it could work. It's unlikely, but it would be interesting to see.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Or, I've always thought the story Red Squad told in "Valiant" about how they got into a pitch battle with a Cardassian ship, both were badly damaged and first to get weapons going again won.

I think that'd make a nice, tense, potentially action-packed, low budget (comparatively) bottle movie.

It can be done.

TWOK was largely a ‘bottle episode’ as well; the only location work was of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for the Genesis planet coda.

Doesn’t mean that a scrappy innovative director couldn’t make something really exciting with that toolbox; and again, if they re-use and cleverly redress DSC sets and props?  It could be brought in for a fraction of the previous movies.

TWOK was largely a ‘bottle episode’ as well; the only location work was of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for the Genesis planet coda.

And 2, 3, and 4 were literally shot with ABC's TV movie division. The stories were good. Some better than others, but that's just the nature of movies.

$150M is simply not necessary, even in 2017.

Doesn’t mean that a scrappy innovative director couldn’t make something really exciting with that toolbox; and again, if they re-use and cleverly redress DSC sets and props?  It could be brought in for a fraction of the previous movies.

Exactly. It doesn't take a lot of different traveling around to make a great Star Trek story.

1 minute ago, prometheus59650 said:

And 2, 3, and 4 were literally shot with ABC's TV movie division. The stories were good. Some better than others, but that's just the nature of movies.

$150M is simply not necessary, even in 2017.

I can already see the possibility of the next film costing less than the previous three and having the best story of the alternate reality films.

Look to "Generations" alone. Add a couple consoles to the bridge and toy with the lighting and I think the D looked better than it ever did on TV. 

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Look to "Generations" alone. Add a couple consoles to the bridge and toy with the lighting and I think the D looked better than it ever did on TV. 

True.  
Even Ten-Forward and Picard’s ready room were so beautifully lit by DP John Alonzo that they looked cinematic as hell.   DSC’s sets look so cinematic already that it wouldn’t really take more than a bit of lighting, perhaps new wall gizmos and some paint to make them believable as the Kelvinverse USS Enterprise A.

19 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

With the success of Star Trek: Discovery and the news of it being renewed for a second season, perhaps an announcement of Star Trek XIV isn't too far off.

I'd hope so.

And I still think it'd be a bright idea if they reuse/redress DSC sets and props for use as the 'new' interiors of the Kelvinverse 1701-A.   It'd be a nice way for the forthcoming movie to cut production costs and focus more energy on a good, solid screenplay.  

8 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'd hope so.

And I still think it'd be a bright idea if they reuse/redress DSC sets and props for use as the 'new' interiors of the Kelvinverse 1701-A.   It'd be a nice way for the forthcoming movie to cut production costs and focus more energy on a good, solid screenplay.  

Yep. They could film Star Trek XIV between Season 1 and Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery that way.

Edited by Enterprise Discovery

8 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Yep. They could film Star Trek XIV between Season 1 and Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery that way.

Worked for STV and STVI...

Sign in to follow this