Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Karl Urban is Also Hopeful for a STAR TREK 4

Doubt we'll hear anything until after Discovery debuts. All eyes are on the TV part of the franchise now. 

It'll also be interesting to see if DSC puts CBS-AA on the map.  If that happens, I'm sure CBS/Paramount might loosen a few purse strings for a lower budgeted 4th ST movie (similarly shot in Canada, as STB was).

kenman   
8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It'll also be interesting to see if DSC puts CBS-AA on the map.  If that happens, I'm sure CBS/Paramount might loosen a few purse strings for a lower budgeted 4th ST movie (similarly shot in Canada, as STB was).

And I do believe that is where Discovery currently resides...the Great White North is becoming the home of Starfleet!

10 minutes ago, kenman said:

And I do believe that is where Discovery currently resides...the Great White North is becoming the home of Starfleet!

Well, to be honest, I’d love to see ST production back to Los Angeles; and there have been tons of new local tax incentives to keep movies/TV shows here but I also see the need for fresh energy and a fresh start.   And Toronto and Vancouver both have great, well-oiled studio machinery for film/TV production, so yeah; it makes sense. 

And being Canadian-born, I guess I’m kinda okay with either...:laugh:

kenman   
34 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Well, to be honest, I’d love to see ST production back to Los Angeles; and there have been tons of new local tax incentives to keep movies/TV shows here but I also see the need for fresh energy and a fresh start.   And Toronto and Vancouver both have great, well-oiled studio machinery for film/TV production, so yeah; it makes sense. 

And being Canadian-born, I guess I’m kinda okay with either...:laugh:

I understand....I'm not really commenting on the good or bad of it, more just making  the statement, that seems to be where Starfleet is setting up base lately. 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:26 AM, Robin Bland said:

Doubt we'll hear anything until after Discovery debuts. All eyes are on the TV part of the franchise now. 

I think I'm with you on this one. Let's think more about the upcoming series before we start investing in Beyond's sequel.

Though there is some stigma involved, from what I know, Beyond didn't do that hot in the box office - granted was no DOA like "Valerian" was, but it was less-than-satisfying. Then again, that didn't stop Paramount from putting out "Star Trek: Nemesis" after Insurrection (which did even worse and well - WAS worse).

Maybe if DSC proves there’s still life in the ST brand, they’ll make another one.   Here’s hoping, anyway.

It may be just me, but Star Trek was great, to me and Star Trek Into Darkness was even better. Star Trek Beyond was better than both of them, to me. So, I'm really hoping to see Star Trek XIV get an official release date. There is so much potential with the return of George Kirk, whether it be a mirror version, or time travel, the plot could be interesting.

48 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It may be just me, but Star Trek was great, to me and Star Trek Into Darkness was even better

I liked it, too, even though I can concede almost every issue anyone would bring up here about it. There are so many little character moments that are fun or moving to me that I ended up liking it a lot despite its flaws.

We're a minority here. ;)

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

I liked it, too, even though I can concede almost every issue anyone would bring up here about it. There are so many little character moments that are fun or moving to me that I ended up liking it a lot despite its flaws.

We're a minority here. ;)

It is a different timeline, so there will be similarities and differences to the prime reality. If they stop making alternate reality films, Star Trek Beyond was a good finale to them, I just hope that we see more.

I'm hopeful a good story after the original 5 year mission, close the gap to the TMP

A good first outing for 1701A rather than the malfunctioning Start Trek V

Oh on no Kirks Father, enough already 

10 minutes ago, Mike Thompson said:

I'm hopeful a good story after the original 5 year mission, close the gap to the TMP

A good first outing for 1701A rather than the malfunctioning Start Trek V

Oh on no Kirks Father, enough already 

It depends on how they do it, but it'd be a high bar to pass George Kirk off on me.

If I could pick how it'd still be a Mirror Universe thing. Put the goatee on Quinto and let them ham the hell out of the thing with a fair amount of pew-pew.

That could be a fun ride.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

If I could pick how it'd still be a Mirror Universe thing. Put the goatee on Quinto and let them ham the hell out of the thing with a fair amount of pew-pew.

That could be a fun ride.

Now that we have regular ST on the air again (excuse me; via streaming...:P), I don’t think I’d mind the movies being shallow ST-themed thrill rides.  I’d hope they’d aspire to be something more, but if they don’t?  That’s okay; we have ST back on television where it belongs.

ST 4.0 would be a wonderful summer diversion or Christmas present, so it can let loose on the pew-pew. ;)

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Now that we have regular ST on the air again (excuse me; via streaming...:P), I don’t think I’d mind the movies being shallow ST-themed thrill rides.  I’d hope they’d aspire to be something more, but if they don’t?  That’s okay; we have ST back on television where it belongs.

ST 4.0 would be a wonderful summer diversion or Christmas present, so it can let loose on the pew-pew. ;)

That, for sure. :) The movies generally want/need to make their money in the first couple of weekends, so that lends itself to spectacle. TV can be more.

That, and really, I can't think of another non-reset means/time travel means of bringing George back. And I don't think I'm all that interested in either of those.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

That, for sure. :) The movies generally want/need to make their money in the first couple of weekends, so that lends itself to spectacle. TV can be more.

That, and really, I can't think of another non-reset means/time travel means of bringing George back. And I don't think I'm all that interested in either of those.

Maybe the bridge of the Kelvin was protected somewhat from the blast against the Narada and Kirk's father was taken captive by the Romulans, or the Klingons after the Narada stopped operating. He could have been in cryogenic stasis, or something.

7 hours ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

Maybe the bridge of the Kelvin was protected somewhat from the blast against the Narada and Kirk's father was taken captive by the Romulans, or the Klingons after the Narada stopped operating. He could have been in cryogenic stasis, or something.

Which would completely undermine the power of his death in ST09.

Sincerely hoping they don’t go the ‘he-jumped-from-the-car-right-before-it-exploded’ route; that’d be a cheap gimmick.   I’d much prefer either a Mirror George Kirk (which might tie into DSC, which is also promising a Mirror episode) or a time travel scenario wherein Jim Kirk realizes that his father eventually HAS to die for his timeline to be preserved (like it or not, the Kelvinverse is too established to be so easily undone onscreen).

I think TPTB are probably holding off making any plans until they see how Discovery fares on TV (which, by all accounts is doing extremely well in purely financial terms). They're different markets of course, albeit steadily converging, so it's weird to see two versions of Star Trek effectively competing. But, chances are, Paramount will delve into the cinematic franchise again. Star Trek's stock is high again right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paramount consider another total reboot though - something cheaper, smaller but more ambitious. The cast of the first three JJ movies are getting steadily more expensive. 

On the other hand, their popularity shouldn't be underestimated either. The idea of not seeing Karl Urban's superb take on Dr. McCoy again makes me sad. After how much I (unexpectedly) enjoyed Beyond, I'd be really pleased to see this crew's continuing voyages, way beyond ST 4.0. But the George Kirk idea leaves me completely cold. Please... boldly go. But don't boldly go backwards. 

Apropos of not much - I watched Beyond again recently, and realised it had become one of my fave ST movies. It just has so much heart. 

12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I think TPTB are probably holding off making any plans until they see how Discovery fares on TV (which, by all accounts is doing extremely well in purely financial terms). They're different markets of course, albeit steadily converging, so it's weird to see two versions of Star Trek effectively competing. But, chances are, Paramount will delve into the cinematic franchise again. Star Trek's stock is high again right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paramount consider another total reboot though - something cheaper, smaller but more ambitious. The cast of the first three JJ movies are getting steadily more expensive. 

I wonder...and this is me spitballing here... if DSC’s production team in Toronto might be able to help out in that regard.  Maybe they could use sets/pieces from DSC in the production of a theoretical ST 4.0, just as the last few TOS movies used TNG’s sets and props.   

It’d be a significant money/time saver; and since we’ve not yet seen the interior of the new Ent-A, who’s to say it couldn’t be a (very) cleverly redressed version of the DSC bridge (and corridors, transporter room, etc)?

On the other hand, their popularity shouldn't be underestimated either. The idea of not seeing Karl Urban's superb take on Dr. McCoy again makes me sad.

I know, right??  I just met him in Vegas two months ago.  Groovy guy.   His McCoy rocked.  :punk:

But the George Kirk idea leaves me completely cold. Please... boldly go. But don't boldly go backwards. 

Can’t say I entirely disagree with this.   Now I’m wondering if they’d even be able to afford him (?).

Apropos of not much - I watched Beyond again recently, and realised it had become one of my fave ST movies. It just has so much heart. 

Easily my favorite of the Kelvinverse movies.

32 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Indeed, as I've said previously, people in my audience wept. That shouldn't be undone. George Kirk's death was necessary and important to that universe.

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

if DSC’s production team might be able to help out in that regard?  Maybe they could use sets/pieces from DSC in the production of a theoretical ST 4.0, just as the last few TOS movies used TNG’s sets and props...

I think it could easily be done. Give DSC's bridge a lighter repaint, tweak the lighting and add a few of those standing glass panels that the previous bridges had and it'd pass.

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Can’t say I entirely disagree with this.   Now I’m wondering if they’d even be able to afford him (?).

Seems, to hear him talk, that he feels some affinity towards Trek. Maybe, if he liked the part, he'll give them, a "for old time's sake" discount.

21 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Unlike TATV or "Flashback," it really IS a love letter to Star Trek.

3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Seems, to hear him talk, that he feels some affinity towards Trek. Maybe, if he liked the part, he'll give them, a "for old time's sake" discount.

Wouldn’t be unprecedented.

But while I’m not 100% nixed on the idea of a G. Kirk return (depends largely on how its done), I do wish they’d look forward for inspiration, not backward.   New ship, new horizons.  Robin has a good point...

6 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I think it could easily be done. Give DSC's bridge a lighter repaint, tweak the lighting and add a few of those standing glass panels that the previous bridges had and it'd pass.

The VGR production team used pieces of the original 1979 TMP bridge for the ‘modern' prototype multi-vector starship Prometheus (hehe...you have your own ship!) in "Message in a Bottle.”   If the new team running ST are anywhere near as resourceful as that team was 20 years ago, they should be able to pull it off. 

scenario   

I don't have as much of a problem with George Kirk coming back if it's not the real George Kirk. A shadow Kirk might be a mindless fun episode. Or a George Kirk version of Thomas Riker where he split off from George long before he met JT Kirk"s mother.  Or some kind of shapeshifter pretending to be George, especially if the shape shifter doesn't know they are a shapeshifter. James Kirk meets someone who looks, acts and has some of the memories of his dad but isn't really his dad. Maybe the fake dad ends up dying again to save his son. 

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sincerely hoping they don’t go the ‘he-jumped-from-the-car-right-before-it-exploded’ route; that’d be a cheap gimmick.   I’d much prefer either a Mirror George Kirk (which might tie into DSC, which is also promising a Mirror episode) or a time travel scenario wherein Jim Kirk realizes that his father eventually HAS to die for his timeline to be preserved (like it or not, the Kelvinverse is too established to be so easily undone onscreen).

I do like the alternate reality. Especially since it's a different timeline from the prime reality. It's not like it erases the prime reality timeline. I can see that idea being a sad ending to the film.

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

On the other hand, their popularity shouldn't be underestimated either. The idea of not seeing Karl Urban's superb take on Dr. McCoy again makes me sad. After how much I (unexpectedly) enjoyed Beyond, I'd be really pleased to see this crew's continuing voyages, way beyond ST 4.0. But the George Kirk idea leaves me completely cold. Please... boldly go. But don't boldly go backwards. 

I'm hoping that's true and Star Trek: Discovery being successful only encourages more films. Star Trek Beyond is great.

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I wonder...and this is me spitballing here... if DSC’s production team in Toronto might be able to help out in that regard.  Maybe they could use sets/pieces from DSC in the production of a theoretical ST 4.0, just as the last few TOS movies used TNG’s sets and props.   

It’d be a significant money/time saver; and since we’ve not yet seen the interior of the new Ent-A, who’s to say it couldn’t be a (very) cleverly redressed version of the DSC bridge (and corridors, transporter room, etc)?

Interesting idea. Maybe that could help to see the next film begin production.

4 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Indeed, as I've said previously, people in my audience wept. That shouldn't be undone. George Kirk's death was necessary and important to that universe.

Maybe they have a story idea that will be right for the film. Maybe a villain (Khan, even) uses the image of Kirk's father to lure Kirk in, acting as if he had survived his encounter with the Narada.

58 minutes ago, scenario said:

I don't have as much of a problem with George Kirk coming back if it's not the real George Kirk. A shadow Kirk might be a mindless fun episode. Or a George Kirk version of Thomas Riker where he split off from George long before he met JT Kirk"s mother.  Or some kind of shapeshifter pretending to be George, especially if the shape shifter doesn't know they are a shapeshifter. James Kirk meets someone who looks, acts and has some of the memories of his dad but isn't really his dad. Maybe the fake dad ends up dying again to save his son. 

There are so many ideas and ways that they could bring back Chris Hemsworth, as it does seem like that's the way the were going when they announced the possibilities of the next film.

scenario   

Didn't the new Kirk cheat to get around the Kobayashi Maru in the first movie. Use an alternate George Kirk, (a shadow kirk or something) as a KM test. JT Kirk's only option to save the Enterprise is to let his dad die again. Yes it mirrors the Spock death scene but the movies are going to copy stuff anyway. 

Sign in to follow this