Sign in to follow this  
Dr Niemann

How many of the OS cast didn't like Shatner?

... and why?

I've just finished reading Mr Shatner's Movie Memories. Fun read, but only on occasion does he allude to cast members not thinking highly of him. No real details are given, especially regarding Walter & James. Then when googling after, it appears he even fell out with Leonard towards the end of his life. 

Can anyone fill in with further details? I think I've been hypo-sprayed with a full tank of curiosity. :)

Long story short: Shatner has an ego you couldn't skirt in a hundred years at warp nine. Everyone else in the TOS cast was either meaningless to him or a source of competition. He never particularly cared to reach out to Takei, Doohan, or any of the the "lesser" cast. He was so focused on his own work that he wasn't into making friends with anyone.

When Spock clearly became the break out character of the series, he went to producers and demanded that they play up the Kirk/Spock friendship, so that Kirk didn't seem overshadowed. That's almost understandable. The apparently incessant line counting so that no one exceeded his is not. It's not about the work, it's how he looks in the work. And he has to look like the most important thing in it before it's good enough for him

One has to look no further than the Trek books he's "authored" to see that. He's so important that the Romulans and Borg ally themselves to resurrect him because he can bring down the Federation. Really?

Kirk fights and beats Worf.

Kirk fights and beats Data.

Picard is reduced to some mooky yes, man in a 1930s Gangster film, "Whatever you say, Boss."

But this is Shatner's perception of Kirk and it's also a continuation of Shatner's perception of Shatner.

And he trashed a decades long friendship with Nimoy after using footage of Nimoy in one of Shatner's Trek docs after Nimoy specifically asked him not to. Because Shatner's the most important guy in the room.

Then, at each step, from being called out by Nichelle in one of his "Memories" books, to having the story of his falling out with Nimoy coming out, he acts completely clueless as to why.

Now, I think Takei has taken it a little far with what basically amounts to making a cottage industry over hating on Shatner...it doesn't come from nothing.

17 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Long story short: Shatner has an ego you couldn't skirt in a hundred years at warp nine.

laughing laugh dumb and dumber jeff daniels GIF

The question is now, are/were there ANY original cast members who actually LIKED Shatner... :P (but then we all know he makes up for this with the immense love he has for himself)

40 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

laughing laugh dumb and dumber jeff daniels GIF

But tell me I'm wrong. LOL.:laugh:

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

The question is now, are/were there ANY original cast members who actually LIKED Shatner... :P (but then we all know he makes up for this with the immense love he has for himself)

Pretty much. I've never seen an ego like it.

But, yeah, that's as easier ask. Koenig seems to have made peace with the man, not because of any particular effort on Shatner's part. He just came to accept within himself that, 'Bill is how Bill is' and moved on.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

But tell me I'm wrong. LOL.:laugh:

Pretty much. I've never seen an ego like it.

I can think of one... but I’ll save that answer for the KM section.

And no, you’re not wrong. :P

Sign in to follow this