Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prometheus59650

Variety: Time for Jack Sparrow and Alien to go.

18 posts in this topic

No argument here.

Sparrow at least is wrapped up.

Looks like more Alien is coming despite our best efforts. :)

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Sparrow at least is wrapped up.

Looks like more Alien is coming despite our best efforts. :)

Sir Ridley's next project needs to be made by his closest friends; it should be titled ALIEN Intervention,. :P

Jack Sparrow was a one-trick pony as far as I was concerned.  Amusing at first yes, and I loved that first movie, but that was it.  The first POTC was the ride made into a movie.  The End.  I never saw it as franchisable.   I guess I'd make a lousy studio head (thank goodness! Hehe...).

Jack Sparrow vs Aliens

53 minutes ago, kenman said:

Jack Sparrow vs Aliens

I'd watch that.

Depp's Sparrow could overact it to death...:giggle:

54 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Depp's Sparrow could overact it to death...:giggle:

Yeah. The ham comes through the screen like smell-o-vision.

They should have stopped after the third movie with "Pirates of the Caribbean." The first one was quite good. I never saw the others though, though I hear the recent outings haven't been that good. However, if they keep raking in the $$$, why stop? Same thing goes with the "Transformers" franchise. Kind of reminds me of those "Police Academy" movies, and I know most of those are well - UGH.

1 hour ago, Rusty0918 said:

They should have stopped after the third movie with "Pirates of the Caribbean." The first one was quite good. I never saw the others though, though I hear the recent outings haven't been that good. However, if they keep raking in the $$$, why stop? Same thing goes with the "Transformers" franchise. Kind of reminds me of those "Police Academy" movies, and I know most of those are well - UGH.

I agree. Pirates was basically over by then. Transformers? People seem to finally getting sick of Rock 'em Sock 'em Plotless Robots. I gave up a movie ago, whatever it's name was simply because I could see points where if they just fleshed this or that out a bit more it could have been something decent. And they just didn't bother.

Alien was done after Aliens. Alien 4 isn't that bad. It's better than 3, but it still has no reason to be.

A few interesting things that keep on going - "The Land Before Time" - the only theatrical one was released in 1988 but they've been making direct-to-video sequels for it - the last one was a year ago! Guess there's still a market for those, I think - they've made THIRTEEN direct-to-video sequels in all. I'm *NOT* making this one up.

"Jaws" - well they wore out their welcome after the third one (I never saw any of the movies all the way through) - and I've heard the fourth one is ghastly.

59 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

A few interesting things that keep on going - "The Land Before Time" - the only theatrical one was released in 1988 but they've been making direct-to-video sequels for it - the last one was a year ago! Guess there's still a market for those, I think - they've made THIRTEEN direct-to-video sequels in all. I'm *NOT* making this one up.

"Jaws" - well they wore out their welcome after the third one (I never saw any of the movies all the way through) - and I've heard the fourth one is ghastly.

Jaws was great because it wasn't about a giant sea monster. It was about several humans bonding to defeat some adversity. Most of what came after was basically Alien in the water; a typical monster movie. There is no reason to have that rethreaded since movies like that are on Scify practically every week. 

4 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Jaws was great because it wasn't about a giant sea monster. It was about several humans bonding to defeat some adversity. Most of what came after was basically Alien in the water; a typical monster movie. There is no reason to have that rethreaded since movies like that are on Scify practically every week. 

I hear that Spielberg considered the first one to be a "lucky mistake."

Trying to think of some other franchises that may have worn out their welcome here. The live action/CGI "Alvin and the Chipmunks" definitely qualify here.

The first "Transformers" movie didn't fare that badly with critics. With all the filth in the second one though ("Revenge of the Fallen"), I'm surprised that they didn't put out an Unrated Director's Cut.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I hear that Spielberg considered the first one to be a "lucky mistake."

Trying to think of some other franchises that may have worn out their welcome here. The live action/CGI "Alvin and the Chipmunks" definitely qualify here.

The first "Transformers" movie didn't fare that badly with critics. With all the filth in the second one though ("Revenge of the Fallen"), I'm surprised that they didn't put out an Unrated Director's Cut.

I saw that movie. I remember Tony Todd did a voice and literally nothing else.

Edited by prometheus59650

3 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

The first JAWS is one of my favorite movies of all time, and that’s largely because the characters were front and center.   The monster shark was simply a device for bringing them together in the same orbit.    The 2nd JAWS still had some legitimacy and some interesting ideas, but the 3rd and 4th one just lost me... they were just pure crap (esp. the 4th).

Still thanking my lucky stars that Spielberg never made a sequel to “Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind”; that’s my 2nd favorite movie of his. 

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Still thanking my lucky stars that Spielberg never made a sequel to “Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind”; that’s my 2nd favorite movie of his. 

Was that even contemplated?

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Was that even contemplated?

I sincerely hope not.   

On 8/1/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sehlat Vie said:
On 8/1/2017 at 3:36 PM, Rusty0918 said:

The first JAWS is one of my favorite movies of all time, and that’s largely because the characters were front and center.   The monster shark was simply a device for bringing them together in the same orbit.    The 2nd JAWS still had some legitimacy and some interesting ideas, but the 3rd and 4th one just lost me... they were just pure crap (esp. the 4th).

Well, the first "Jaws" was a classic, from what I heard. I never watched it so...maybe I should.

Thinking of all the bad vibes I heard about the "Police Academy" franchise - that's another franchise that had worn out its welcome (a long time ago). I know a fan-made Simpsons script considered watching every "Police Academy" movie as being tortured. Though who is to say they won't reboot it?

I was also thinking about Disney's direct-to-video stuff like "Cinderella II," "Cinderella III," etc. Charles Perrault must be spinning in his grave!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0