Sign in to follow this  
Rusty0918

USS Discovery Final Design

On 7/24/2017 at 5:04 PM, Robin Bland said:

I have it on good authority - from someone who has seen some early FX footage made available to licensors - that part of the disc does indeed spin.

This would seem to tally with the idea that it's something of a reveal as Discovery itself doesn't appear in the latest trailer.

Well, I'd have to see it to believe it. I've seen many who have been on "good authority" and what they said was actually false. No offense, Mr. Bland.

A spinning part of the saucer just doesn't seem to work. And I can't see how that thing would affect warp travel. And if it does spin. that would make accessing that part of it rather difficult.

Like many people say, it's like the folding nacelles on Voyager - there really is no practical purpose for doing this - only because it looks cool.

They better have a dang good explanation for it, at the very least. Otherwise, that's going to be ridiculed and nitpicked.

Maybe Discovery has a revolving restaurant on the ship?  :giggle:

Ten Foreward, Ten Backward, Ten Port and Ten Starboard... It's the same place. :P

2 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

Well, I'd have to see it to believe it. I've seen many who have been on "good authority" and what they said was actually false. No offense, Mr. Bland.

None taken.

A spinning part of the saucer just doesn't seem to work. And I can't see how that thing would affect warp travel. And if it does spin. that would make accessing that part of it rather difficult.

Like many people say, it's like the folding nacelles on Voyager - there really is no practical purpose for doing this - only because it looks cool.

They better have a dang good explanation for it, at the very least. Otherwise, that's going to be ridiculed and nitpicked.

I think it's silly, too. But I guess we'll see when the ship finally graces the screen.

34 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe Discovery has a revolving restaurant on the ship?  :giggle:

Ten Forward, Ten Backward, Ten Port and Ten Starboard... It's the same place. :P

Ten Dizzy?

I wonder how the artificial gravity generators counteract the centrifugal force of this spinning disc?

The only thing I could see spinning would be the ship's phaser batteries on the saucer part - that might be practical for better targeting solutions. Sort of an interesting forerunner to the linear phaser arrays we saw from TNG onward. If one was damaged or out of charge, they could spin the ring to another functional one. However, I can't see any other explanation for such besides that.

Well, at least the engineering section is unlikely to be a re-dressed Budweiser plant!

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Ten Dizzy?

I wonder how the artificial gravity generators counteract the centrifugal force of this spinning disc?

Very well, I would hope... :laugh:

tenor.gif

Maybe it explains why that class of ship is no longer in service in Kirk’s time? :P

The only thing I could see spinning would be the ship's phaser batteries on the saucer part - that might be practical for better targeting solutions. Sort of an interesting forerunner to the linear phaser arrays we saw from TNG onward. If one was damaged or out of charge, they could spin the ring to another functional one. However, I can't see any other explanation for such besides that.

Well, at least the engineering section is unlikely to be a re-dressed Budweiser plant!

Seems easier just to put emitters everywhere, but that's just me.

8 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

It’s like having a stationary gun turret while the entire ship rotates to find the target.   Doesn’t really work, or make logistical sense. 

I’m guessing the spinning has something to do with... um... the oscillating duotronic enhancers to the warp plasma distribution power rela--er, nope.  I got nothin.’ :P

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s like having a stationary gun turret while the entire ship rotates to find the target.   Doesn’t really work, or make logistical sense. 

I’m guessing the spinning has something to do with... um... the oscillating duotronic enhancers to the warp plasma distribution power rela--er, nope.  I got nothin.’ :P

It seems to have broken. Is your Treknobabble generator still under warranty? :)

Edited by prometheus59650

22 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

It seems to have broken. Is your Treknobabble generator still under warranty? :)

Didn’t get one.  The phased-documental warranty generator was out that day...:P

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, that would tax a lot of space on the ship beyond the shadow of a doubt.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

What I was talking about here was the idea that the phaser banks themselves were on a rotating ring for combat sake.

Though I doubt that is the case. Frankly, the spinning saucer idea reminds me of those "choppy crushy things" that were in that corridor in "Galaxy Quest." - "This episode was badly written!" Sounds like something I might have conjured up when I was in my pre-teen or teenage years, but I still can't find there being any practical purpose for any part of that saucer to be spinning, unless it's something along the idea of the phaser emitters. Somehow I get this bad feeling if this is the case - this is just a cheap attempt to be "cool." Well, it's as dumb as the idea of the Enterprise being submerged underwater in STID in my books.

17 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Well, that would tax a lot of space on the ship beyond the shadow of a doubt.

What I was talking about here was the idea that the phaser banks themselves were on a rotating ring for combat sake.

Though I doubt that is the case. Frankly, the spinning saucer idea reminds me of those "choppy crushy things" that were in that corridor in "Galaxy Quest." - "This episode was badly written!" Sounds like something I might have conjured up when I was in my pre-teen or teenage years, but I still can't find there being any practical purpose for any part of that saucer to be spinning, unless it's something along the idea of the phaser emitters. Somehow I get this bad feeling if this is the case - this is just a cheap attempt to be "cool." Well, it's as dumb as the idea of the Enterprise being submerged underwater in STID in my books.

Yeah, the spinning outer ring could be DSC’s ‘chompers’.... :laugh:

The%2BChompers.giftumblr_m7rxx5im4E1qfy2kdo4_250.gif

And for the record?  I can’t stand STID.   I’m fine with the other two Kelvin-verse ST movies, but STID is just rotten.   Having the Enterprise submerged was just stupid.  And it was never explained exactly WHY Kirk did such a stupid thing.  Oh, yeah... ‘because it looked cool.’  That was STID’s excuse for pretty much every bad decision...

Here’s hoping DSC makes a bit more sense.   

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, the spinning outer ring could be DSC’s ‘chompers’.... :laugh:

The%2BChompers.giftumblr_m7rxx5im4E1qfy2kdo4_250.gif

And for the record?  I can’t stand STID.   I’m fine with the other two Kelvin-verse ST movies, but STID is just rotten.   Having the Enterprise submerged was just stupid.  And it was never explained exactly WHY Kirk did such a stupid thing.  Oh, yeah... ‘because it looked cool.’  That was STID’s excuse for pretty much every bad decision...

Here’s hoping DSC makes a bit more sense.   

I'll give it benefit of the doubt. Maybe there is a good reason that I haven't thought of. I do like the production value of DSC, and a lot of the other aspects of it. But if there must be a rotating part of Discovery's saucer section, there needs to be some logical sense behind it. Just because "it looks cool" is zero excuse.

I can't wait for the scene when we find out that Discovery has a spinning disc because that's its engine propeller when it travels underwater.

Hey, remember "fluidic space" in Voyager? Where Species 8472 lived? I bet it's something to do with warp field manifolds in environments like that. Discovery discovers fluidic space too, and the whole spinning disc thing is like a stone skipping across water. See, Abrams? We gotchoo beat for dumb ideas.

8 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I can't wait for the scene when we find out that Discovery has a spinning disc because that's its engine propeller when it travels underwater.

Hey, remember "fluidic space" in Voyager? Where Species 8472 lived? I bet it's something to do with warp field manifolds in environments like that. Discovery discovers fluidic space too, and the whole spinning disc thing is like a stone skipping across water. See, Abrams? We gotchoo beat for dumb ideas.

I most certainly hope *NOT!*

seane   

So, for those of us without CBS Access (because we live in a country where it's not available...)

What does the final design of the Discovery look like?

2 hours ago, seane said:

So, for those of us without CBS Access (because we live in a country where it's not available...)

What does the final design of the Discovery look like?

Ironic...

**** MINOR SPOILER ****

We don’t even SEE the USS Discovery in the first two episodes.   But from the brief exterior glimpses seen in the E3 preview?  Pretty cool...

On 7/24/2017 at 6:04 PM, Robin Bland said:

I have it on good authority - from someone who has seen some early FX footage made available to licensors - that part of the disc does indeed spin.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:34 PM, Rusty0918 said:

So. It spins.

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

So. It spins.

But only in certain situations, it seems.  If they used it for gravity, I’d cry foul because the crew would then be walking along the walls. :P

So I’m okay with it as long as there’s a logical reason for it, and not ‘because it looks cool.’  'Looking cool' gets you needlessly submerged starships...:giggle:

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But only in certain situations, it seems.  If they used it for gravity, I’d cry foul because the crew would then be walking along the walls. :P

So I’m okay with it as long as there’s a logical reason for it, and not ‘because it looks cool.’  'Looking cool' gets you needlessly submerged starships...:giggle:

Actually, I think "rotates" would be a better word. 

And I think they did do it because it looked cool. That's okay, I'm all right with "looking cool" if it's supported by an in-story reason. The Enterprise in STID underwater was just stupid.