Sign in to follow this  
Rusty0918

USS Discovery Final Design

This is the Discovery seen in a promotional poster:

star-trek-discovery-sdcc17-posters-10104

I know the design was inspired primarily by Ralph McQuarries "Planet of the Titans" Enterprise. However, part of the saucer kind of reminds me of this fake Enterprise sketch that came out in 2007 (two years prior to the "Star Trek" 2009) which was supposed to be the new Enterprise. I wonder if there was some inspiration here for the saucer?

JLee-AprilFool-TrekXI-Ent-1280.jpg

Edited by Rusty0918

32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

In the poster, sweeping the nacelles back a bit more has helped the design a lot for me.

Agreed.

Makes it look a bit less clunky. 

29 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Agreed.

Makes it look a bit less clunky. 

It looks a lot more "designed" whereas the previous mock-ups just reminded me of something a salvage yard would put together. (i.e. "I've got this saucer and this neck and these nacelles. Let's weld them together and get it out the door.)

Edited by prometheus59650

17 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

It looks a lot more "designed" whereas the previous mock-ups just reminded me of something a salvage yard would put together. (i.e. "I've got this saucer and this neck and these nacelles. Let's weld them together and get it out the door.)

Even if the sweeping new design is not entirely in keeping with the look of TOS’ Enterprise, I really don’t care; it’s close enough.

Even today, some naval ships and aircraft are made to look more sleeker than others, because they have different aeronautical needs (or in Starfleet’s case?  Different warp engine configurations or what-not).

Of course. And again, there's a lot of diversity in not only Starfleet design but probably in Klingon design as well. Still not quite used to it, but it may grow on me. I know I was unwilling to accept the Enterprise-D initially but it grew on me to the extent I grieved its senseless destruction in Generations.

4 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

Of course. And again, there's a lot of diversity in not only Starfleet design but probably in Klingon design as well. Still not quite used to it, but it may grow on me. I know I was unwilling to accept the Enterprise-D initially but it grew on me to the extent I grieved its senseless destruction in Generations.

Before I can really form an opinion, I want to see it in flight.

Yeah, uhhhhhm... that space between the inner an outer saucer is kind of dumb. Concentrate your disruptor fire there and bingo! Unplanned saucer separation. 

Otherwise, liking the more streamlined look.

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Yeah, uhhhhhm... that space between the inner an outer saucer is kind of dumb. Concentrate your disruptor fire there and bingo! Unplanned saucer separation. 

Otherwise, liking the more streamlined look.

Yikes... I thought that was some kind of metallic reflection.  Didn’t realize it was a ring-gap (!).    

ferengi GIF

On 7/18/2017 at 1:04 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Yikes... I thought that was some kind of metallic reflection.  Didn’t realize it was a ring-gap (!).    

ferengi GIF

Yeah I'm not crazy about the ring-gap either. I can live with it though. I know some on Discovery's FB page speculated that the outer ring of the saucer spins, which in my opinion makes no sense whatsoever. A spinning outer ring or inner saucer just simply doesn't work. If they acutally did this, I'd ask what they were thinking?

8 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

Yeah I'm not crazy about the ring-gap either. I can live with it though. I know some on Discovery's FB page speculated that the outer ring of the saucer spins, which in my opinion makes no sense whatsoever. A spinning outer ring or inner saucer just simply doesn't work. If they acutally did this, I'd ask what they were thinking?

Could be a nice, quick way to make the entire crew simultaneously vomit, but otherwise?  Yeah, an outer spinning ring does nada.

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Could be a nice, quick way to make the entire crew simultaneously vomit, but otherwise?  Yeah, an outer spinning ring does nada.

Good one. I doubt it spins, period. There's really no practical reason to do it. Just because it "looks cool" doesn't mean you do it. Reminds me of all the crud that happened in STID - especially with the ship underwater.

I think the saucer gap is smart. It's a clear reference to the design of the Constitution class. We're used to it now because it's so iconic, but look at the flimsy little things holding the warp nacelles on, or even the neck connecting the saucer to the stardrive section. It's kind of ridiculous!

The Enterprise was designed to intentionally look flimsy. Why? So that we'd think it was made of some futuristic technology we couldn't quite fathom.

If it spins, that's another story, but I doubt it does.

I think the Discovery just may be the most beautiful ship in the fleet, second perhaps to the Galaxy-class which is unbeatable in my mind. <3

I might get used to the gap ring, and yes Doctor Odd brings up a very good point; the gap ring is really no more flimsy than the nacelle struts (which, as ST Beyond showed, are a helluva vulnerable spot).  But here's the problem, and it's similar to the unconnected secondary hull in the Oberth class; how does the crew ACCESS the outer ring of the saucer?  Those firmaments look too small to house corridors; is it a crawlspace, like a Jeffrey's tube?  And WHY?   At least the nacelle struts, despite their impossible vulnerability, make some kind of design sense; you'd want those powerful warp pods away from the main body and easily detachable if something went wrong.

But regarding the outer ring?  Why?  As McCoy might say, "Not a list of possible miracles.  But a simple, basic, understandable 'why'?" :laugh:

The gap ring does pose some dilemmas, although it might be large enough for people to go through. But I agree, it really doesn't make that much sense, not to mention it SEVERELY impairs access to that area during an emergency - there doesn't seem to be any practical reason for it. Then again, Starfleet has made its fair share of ships that don't make much practical sense, such as the Oberth-class. So there's that. Not to mention difficult to access the torpedo pod on Miranda-class vessels. Then again, there might be a reason.

I have it on good authority - from someone who has seen some early FX footage made available to licensors - that part of the disc does indeed spin.

This would seem to tally with the idea that it's something of a reveal as Discovery itself doesn't appear in the latest trailer.

Edited by Robin Bland

I'm assuming something to do with transwarp experimentation - the faster warp speeds hinted at in the new trailer. 

Maybe Discovery somehow gets lost from far home? That's something Trek's never done before! Oh, wait...

17 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm assuming something to do with transwarp experimentation - the faster warp speeds hinted at in the new trailer. 

Maybe Discovery somehow gets lost from far home? That's something Trek's never done before! Oh, wait...

If they actually want to do that and adhere to the premise this time, I'd actually be open to it.

7 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

If they actually want to do that and adhere to the premise this time, I'd actually be open to it.

It might explain why it's a prequel that doesn't affect anything (that we know of) in future iterations of Star Trek. Perhaps it's only early episodes of Discovery that are about a Klingon cold war.

Or maybe it just is a reboot, and CBS is afraid to say so. At this point, I'm really not bothered if the show is good. So, yeah, I'd be open to it too.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Okay that was uncalled for...:giggle::P

That spinning saucer thing though... Hmmm.  Have to see it in action before I say anymore.

It is nice to give the ship itself a bit of action; TOS nacelle caps had that cool spinning lights-thingamajig.  Even VGR had that neat little retractable nacelle strut action going on.   But at this point?  I can't see how the saucer spinning would have a bearing on the engineering hull (?).   We'll see...

22 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Okay that was uncalled for...:giggle::P

That spinning saucer thing though... Hmmm.  Have to see it in action before I say anymore.

It is nice to give the ship itself a bit of action; TOS nacelle caps had that cool spinning lights-thingamajig.  Even VGR had that neat little retractable nacelle strut action going on.   But at this point?  I can't see how the saucer spinning would have a bearing on the engineering hull (?).   We'll see...

If they reveal a Talaxian "morale officer" I'm out.

53 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

If they reveal a Talaxian "morale officer" I'm out.

get out cary grant GIF  :P

12 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

It might explain why it's a prequel that doesn't affect anything (that we know of) in future iterations of Star Trek. Perhaps it's only early episodes of Discovery that are about a Klingon cold war.

Or maybe it just is a reboot, and CBS is afraid to say so. At this point, I'm really not bothered if the show is good. So, yeah, I'd be open to it too.

^ This.

I'm less interested in the show perfectly aligning itself between "The Cage" and "Where No Man--" than I am about good Star Trek-style stories, with (as Founder said) a nice modern take on the whole thing.  

And adding to the points about the ship being some kind of advanced prototype?   Sure, why not.  We saw 'the great experiment' Excelsior in STIII, so maybe DSC is a link in that chain...