Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

The Klingon Redesign?

Maltz   

One problem with these new Klingons is that, if they all always look like that, you would never have gotten K'Ehyler or B'Elanna in the TNG era.

3 hours ago, Maltz said:

One problem with these new Klingons is that, if they all always look like that, you would never have gotten K'Ehyler or B'Elanna in the TNG era.

Both of whom were half-human as well.  Not to mention that no explanation was ever given as to why Kor, Kang and Koloth all went from smooth headed back to bumpy-headed in DS9 (were they 'reformed' post-augment Klingons?). 

And we don't yet know definitively that there is only one Klingon ethnicity/look within the Empire.  I'm guessing it's a broad spectrum of ethnicities, even if that hasn't been verified onscreen in DSC.  And if....

***** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT *****

....Tyler Ash turns out to be a surgically altered Klingon agent, then it's possible the Klingons continued their work in human augment eugenics, even after the events of ENT's "Divergence." 

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Both of whom were half-human as well.  Not to mention that no explanation was ever given as to why Kor, Kang and Koloth all went from smooth headed back to bumpy-headed in DS9 (were they 'reformed' post-augment Klingons?). 

And we don't yet know definitively that there is only one Klingon ethnicity/look within the Empire.  I'm guessing it's a broad spectrum of ethnicities, even if that hasn't been verified onscreen in DSC.  And if....

***** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT *****

....Tyler Ash turns out to be a surgically altered Klingon agent, then it's possible the Klingons continued their work in human augment eugenics, even after the events of ENT's "Divergence." 

Well, that's possible for them to get a Klingon mole on board the ship. When you stop and think about it, it would be a clever tactic. We've already seen another Klingon mole in the Federation, Arne Darvin from "The Trouble With Tribbles."

I agree with Sehlat Vie about the broad range of ethnicities within the Klingons. We don't know how diverse things actually were. Some probably weren't affected by the events in ENT's "Divergence."

I think it's best for everyone to forget what has been and just take what you see at present. I realize it's fun to speculate or try to find congruence with the look but that's just more fan navel gazing. This series is aiming to attract a new following, one that doesn't know or care what Klingons used to look like. 

I mentioned elsewhere that I liked the look. They are now alien again instead of just the bumpy forehead look. I also like that they took away their militaristic uniform. It seemed like every Klingon in TNG, DS9, etc.. wore the same uniform. That got stale. 

5 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

I think it's best for everyone to forget what has been and just take what you see at present. I realize it's fun to speculate or try to find congruence with the look but that's just more fan navel gazing.

It really isn't - it's a lot more than that. People will always try and find a sense of coherency in fantasies - it's part of the human imagination's agency, to find those patterns and hook their own theories into them, make it a whole tapestry. It's how mass entertainment works, especially nowadays when you have vast fan networks linked by the Internet. And that's a vital difference between the first time the Klingons were redesigned, when there was no Internet, and now - the ability to make immediate visual comparisons brings about a sort of imaginative disconnect.

This series is aiming to attract a new following, one that doesn't know or care what Klingons used to look like. 

The showrunners stated unequivocally they wanted to attract all the old fanbase. What they're doing, clearly, is trying to have their cake and eat it by also aiming to attract a new fanbase, and the old scenery-chewing Space Viking Klingons wouldn't cut it. But honestly? In my humble opinion, neither do these, especially not when they're trying to do Shakespeare-style dialogue in a fictional language  through all those prosthetics. I admire their ambition, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

I mentioned elsewhere that I liked the look. They are now alien again instead of just the bumpy forehead look. I also like that they took away their militaristic uniform. It seemed like every Klingon in TNG, DS9, etc.. wore the same uniform. That got stale. 

I agree that got stale. I like how the new ones look. They look cool. They behave in more nuanced ways. But they should've been an entirely new, different species - it just would've been easier for fans, new and old, to suspend disbelief.

When we get a really good character like L'Rell, played by a really great actor like Mary Chieffo, it seems churlish to not like it as whole. Clearly a hell of a lot of effort has gone into this. However, as a reimagining of a major piece of pop culture, it all amounts to less than the sum of its parts. These new Klingons don't only have an all-new look, but an all-new culture and nuances too. I think it's difficult for fans to even parse them as the same species.

I think they're the weakest aspect of Discovery so far, and it isn't just because of how they look. It's because everything about them is so radically different, a little unconvincing and also, L'Rell aside, they're booooooring.