DirectorSloan

The New Doctor is ... ***** SPOILERS *****

Recommended Posts

Sim   

Interesting choice!

 

*SPOILERS*

 

 

 

 

 

Nice that it's a woman, for a change! The first female Doctor, yay! 

Beyond that, I can't say I have much of an opinion... I don't remember having (consciously) seen her before. "Broadchurch" has been on my list for a while, perhaps I'll check it out.

But it's great DW stays true to itself by... changing! With Chibnall and Whittaker, I imagine the tone of the show will be different than before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

She is quite good on Broadchurch.  Well...its a lady!  Hope everyone who needed that can take a sigh of relief.  She's a good actress, so should be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a long time coming, and I’m glad to see it happen. :thumbup:

If previous casting of the last four Doctors is any indicator?  I’m guessing that by the end of her era we’ll be missing her as much as we currently miss each exiting Doctor. 

 

To be honest, I would’ve been pretty disappointed if it were another thin, pale white guy.   And this change also fits with the ongoing notion that childhood chums Missy/Master and the Doctor have sort of ‘paralleled’ each other throughout their lifetimes.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sim   
7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

This has been a long time coming, and I’m glad to see it happen. :thumbup:

If previous casting of the last four Doctors is any indicator?  I’m guessing that by the end of her era we’ll be missing her as much as we currently miss each exiting Doctor. 

 

To be honest, I would’ve been pretty disappointed if it were another thin, pale white guy.   And this change also fits with the ongoing notion that childhood chums Missy/Master and the Doctor have sort of ‘paralleled’ each other throughout their lifetimes.   

Well I have to admit I did not miss Matt Smith.

But apart from that, agreed! :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

My only negative thought is "hope this isn't the final final costume" because while I like the coat, I hope we don't have a sloppy hoodie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sim said:

Well I have to admit I did not miss Matt Smith.

But apart from that, agreed! :laugh:

Smith had some terrific stories, but overall?  Yeah, he was my least favorite of the newer Doctors.   That said, I think he's a terrific actor; I just wasn't fond of the direction his first couple of years went, that's all.  I also think TPTB made him a bit too spastic at times...more Robin Williams' Mork from Ork than The Doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kenman said:

My only negative thought is "hope this isn't the final final costume" because while I like the coat, I hope we don't have a sloppy hoodie!

She appears to be wearing, as previous freshly regenerated Doctors have, the remnants of her predecessor's costume.  The hoodie is Capadli's thing.  I hope the new Doctor gets a whole new look.  Reinterpretations are part of what I love so much about this show....it keeps things fresh and unexpected.

28 minutes ago, C.Lovett said:

Image result for happy gif

You and me BOTH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was rather ambivalent on the whole gender/race topic.  I just wanted it to be someone who I hoped would do well in the role.  I was a bit afraid it might be Matt Smith V2 since that was put out there as a possibility in the grand scheme of things.  As someone else said earlier in the thread he was my least favorite of the nuWho Doctors, at least until Clara came along.  As for the new Doctor, I hope that with a new show runner and a "new in many ways" Doctor we'll have an awesome season 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if he didn't cast her, I feel like this is a Moffat inspired idea because of what he did with Missy. 

I haven't watched Broadchurch (synopsis really doesn't grab me) so she (like the others) is an unknown to me. It will be interesting to see what transpires at the end of the Christmas special to enable the Doctor to change sex. 

I honestly thought it was going to be a man again because I didn't think they would announce it this early if it wasn't. I think it would have been better shock value if they had kept it a secret til the episode airs in December.

I hope she sticks around (if she's any good of course) for more than 3 years. The whole three years thing is getting really old (I know Tennant technically stayed 4). I really thought Capaldi would stay longer considering how much of a fanboy he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Here is a weird phenomenon over in twitter, I was sort of scrolling through responses, and I found about 1001 tweets from people teling off "all these people mad that the Doctor is a woman!" And so far I have found a grand total of 6 people actually complaining about this point. One was Ian Levine (rather famous idiot/fan of the program). I am searching and searching, and I think it is genuinely a positive reaction...and then maybe a very small upset subsection, and yet I am seeing a huge backlash to a backlash that doesn't seem to exist. 

I just find it puzzling. 

1 hour ago, John32070 said:

I honestly thought it was going to be a man again because I didn't think they would announce it this early if it wasn't. I think it would have been better shock value if they had kept it a secret til the episode airs in December.

I hope she sticks around (if she's any good of course) for more than 3 years. The whole three years thing is getting really old (I know Tennant technically stayed 4). I really thought Capaldi would stay longer considering how much of a fanboy he is.

They have to announce it, I am certain the production team would love to keep it secret for the surprise of it all (no matter who is coming), but it is impossible to do it these days. They'd have to have a super loyal crew that leaks nothing and shoot it all in studio. But they are gonna shoot on location, and things are gonna get out there...and they are going to probably begin production on the new series starring Whitaker very soon, so for that, and branding purposes, they gotta announce it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having mixed feelings about it,what if the ratings are poor will there b a force regeneration by the producers.im going to watch couple episodes before making any decisions regarding whenever I want doctor who again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

I have a feeling the novelty of it all will guarantee ratings are ok, the shows ratings remain steady each year despite the many panic pieces. I doubt they will truly dip becaus eof a change of gender. The worldwide brand is too strong at the moment for that to truly shatter it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sim   
12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Smith had some terrific stories, but overall?  Yeah, he was my least favorite of the newer Doctors.   That said, I think he's a terrific actor; I just wasn't fond of the direction his first couple of years went, that's all.  I also think TPTB made him a bit too spastic at times...more Robin Williams' Mork from Ork than The Doctor.

Nothing against the actor... and I don't hate Matt Smith's Doctor. Different styles and approaches is what keeps DW fresh! It's just that his style was one that wasn't my cup of tea (yeah, too "spastic" mostly), but I liked many of his stories nevertheless. Also I felt after the outstanding David Tennant, it maybe wasn't a good idea to cast another "young, energetic, charming guy"-type as the Doctor.

At any rate, while I don't hate Matt Smith's Doctor and would never want to erase his tenure from the show, I can't say I was disappointed when he left (unlike in case of Tennant or now Capaldi), but was glad it was time for someone new.

 

As for Whittaker? It's IMO a nice bonus her Doctor will be a woman for a change, but in itself, it isn't a virtue... it's more important that she's a great actress and if she'll suit the role and give it her own unique flavor.

But considering the track record of decisions in the production team of NuDW so far? I have the greatest confidence she's an amazing actress and I'll most likely love her. :)

5 hours ago, kenman said:

Here is a weird phenomenon over in twitter, I was sort of scrolling through responses, and I found about 1001 tweets from people teling off "all these people mad that the Doctor is a woman!" And so far I have found a grand total of 6 people actually complaining about this point. One was Ian Levine (rather famous idiot/fan of the program). I am searching and searching, and I think it is genuinely a positive reaction...and then maybe a very small upset subsection, and yet I am seeing a huge backlash to a backlash that doesn't seem to exist. 

I just find it puzzling.

I better say nothing about that, after deranging KM with my weird ideas lately! :laugh:

It'll be interesting to see how Whittaker et al handle this precedent of a female Doctor. Many previous Doctors had some kind of "quirky" personality, so I wonder if #13 will have, too? Or will she rather be the "lady" type? Or... endless possibilities! This is amazing!

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about what changes the TARDIS might get with a new Doctor.  Regardless of the whole male/female thing, my wish is, since we're going to see the first Doctor in the Christmas special, hopefully we'll see his TARDIS as well.  So, the fan boy in me is hoping that we might see a return of some of the classic console room elements.  I'm a fan of the current console.   Not so much a fan of things like steam coming through the floor.  I'm thinking go with the brighter console room and the more traditional roundels in conjunction with the a modern style console that fits that type of a console room.  Keep the wheezing sound as the time rotor rises and falls while the TARDIS is in transit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the hodgepodge/thrown together look of the Eccleston/Tennant/early Smith console. Much prefer the current one, but agree a throwback to the old style would be great. Back in the early internet days, someone did a fantastic update of it where it still retained the look but was expanded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am confused. Never heard of her or Broadchurch. I turn on the tv and see BBCA, not a normal channel I get. Broadchurch is on. I hit info and it says "starring David Tennant". 

That's enough to screw with one's head for quite a while!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
49 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

I am confused. Never heard of her or Broadchurch. I turn on the tv and see BBCA, not a normal channel I get. Broadchurch is on. I hit info and it says "starring David Tennant". 

That's enough to screw with one's head for quite a while!!!

Broadchurch is a great murder mystery show starring Tennant and Olivia Coleman, and Whitaker is also a main character, playing the mother of the show's main victim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites