Sign in to follow this  
Michael G. Bray

Star Trek: The Wonderland Redemption - All Chapters now available. Concept Art and Discussion- First 6 Chapters now available in RTF. Format

I looked at a lot of surreal art to inspire this story, as well as bring things a little closer to the type of story telling they did during the original series. Here's some artist's pics of the Crystal Hands that Spock used to make contact with the Enterprise. Perhaps Aleela had made "The Invitation" to a Kelvin Timeline version of Apollo from Pollux IV ("Who Mourns For Adonais?") and copied into The Congruency the Green Space Hand, and created their own version of it? 

handsgreen.jpg

crystalhands.jpg

msla06092200mads0011deal.jpg

star-trek-beyond-green-hand.jpg

Here is some artwork that inspired the crystal topography of Wonderland. I don't recall a crystal planet ever being done except for Star Trek: The Animated Series (The Terratin Incident, I believe).

deepholm___green_crystals_by_wishmasterok-d46vcbx.jpg

deepholm1.jpg

tumblr_l7sa0ythAZ1qb8fy8o1_1280.jpg

StonecoreEntrance.jpg

wowscrnshot_081610_221347.jpg

The Soliton Transportation Hub is an easter egg from a ST:TNG season 5 episode entitled "New Ground". In that episode, the Enterprise D assisted a scientist in creating a method of warp propulsion without a warp drive. The episode was mainly centered on Worf and the Soliton Wave was relegated to the "B plot" of the episode. I always thought that was such a good idea that it deserved more exploration so I included it in my story. It seems that in the Kelvin Timeline, technology would naturally advance quicker seeing as how Nero and the Narada as well as the Vulcan "Jellyfish" introduced future tech into that timeline. Therefore the Soliton Wave would like be a refined project with the full assistance and leadership of Starfleet.
I envisioned the Soliton Transportation Hub as a repurposed dry dock assembly with all the energy dishes added to create the energy wave then releasing it, thus propelling any ship inside the dry dock starting gate. Even today, Elon Musk's Hyperloop One is a comparatively  exciting idea as being able to create a new transportation infrastructure is something the world desperately needs.
Hoping that the scene in which Spock pilots the Copernicus would be reminiscent of "The Right Stuff" or footage from the very first Space Shuttle launch; very exciting, and a technological breakthrough.

Soliton_wave.jpg

drydock-4-screen.jpg

In the third act, I place a floating arena in a place on the planet called "The Valley of the Shards". I was inspired by this artwork by Andre Ewallin. In movie productions, they usually hire a production designer and several artists. For me, I find unique art and let it inspire the writing. Kinda backwards, but as an amateur writer it's a nice alternative. 

alien_landscape_by_andreewallin-2.jpg

Here's another nice one of how I would similarly imagine the crystal ruins of Wonderland at night. The artist goes by the handle, Deepholm. Really talented. 

deepholm4.png

Star Trek has a tradition of referencing classic literature and sometimes music. In the story, Aleela has scanned the Enterprise and copied all of its memory banks into the congruency before the crew even meet her. It would make sense that she would've explored their cultural database and chose to experience it. By using our vernacular, she refers to the music archive as a new "playlist" and begins to identify with it, along with other artworks found in the ship's computer.  I chose two pieces of source music for my story that Aleela would have gravitated to. One was The Engulfed Cathedral by Claude Debussy. The idea of a grand cathedral sinking into the ocean as if it may have been a mirage is a nice comparison to Aleela's lost civilization only now reproduced by holograms. It would seem very easy for her to identify with that piece of music.

The other piece of music I chose for Aleela to identify with was "Stoned Love" by The Supremes. Two contentious races of people are taking their first steps into peaceful relations. It's the beginning of the end of war between the Federation and the Klingons, thanks to Aleela. She has also begun to experience what human love is through her relationship with Kirk. As a result, she reciprocates a gift to Spock for Uhura; the "language database" of all the species Aleela's encountered, knowing how much it would help mankind explore the universe. The lyrics encapsulate so much of the redemption that happened in the arena and the experience between Aleela and Kirk that she chose this song to play in the arena at the end. Plus, I could resist the idea of a Motown Song in a Star Trek feature film.

"Stoned Love" by The Supremes

Now I wanna tell ya of a great love, oh
It will light up
It will surely light up darkened worlds
If you just believe
Stoned love
Stoned love
Stoned love
Oh yeah
A love for each other will bring fighting to an end
Forgiving one another, time after time doubt creeps in
But like the sun lights up the sky with a message from above
Oh yeah, I find no other greater symbol of love
Yeah, don't ya hear the wind blowing
Stoned love
Oh yeah, I tell ya I ain't got no other
Stoned love
Oh yeah
And life is so short, put the present time at hand
Oh yeah, and if you're young at heart, rise up and take your stand
And to the man on whose shoulder the world must depend
I pray for peace and love, amen
Oh, can't ya feel it
Stoned love
I tell ya I ain't got no other
Stoned love
Oh yeah

gazomg   
On 7/31/2017 at 1:22 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Oh I wouldn't worry about it, since no one else has reported the issue (at least not to me).   But yeah, maybe if other friends of yours are okay with the links then that might be a nice independent verification.  We also appreciate any/all new members.

Thanks.

wont work for me either and my pc is new(ish)

All I get is the following

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

9 hours ago, gazomg said:

wont work for me either and my pc is new(ish)

All I get is the following

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Thanks for letting me know about this issue, Gazomg. I had originally posted my chapters in PDF format as I believed it would be a universally accepted platform. I invited two outsiders to see if the PDF files would download and they had no problem. I have also been working on a reissue of the story in Rich Text Format. Either I could repost using RTF or members could check if they have a more recent version of Adobe Reader that can download the chapters in the original PDF.  Either way, I'll try to accommodate the people here. Thanks again. 

Because I became aware of some PDF downloading issues, here are the first six chapters of Star Trek: The Wonderland Redemption in Rich Text Format (rtf.) I will convert the rest of the PDF chapters to rtf. and post them as they become available. If anyone has trouble downloading these also, please let me know and I will address the issue. Thanks to Selat Vie and Gazomg for bringing this to my attention and enjoy!
Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 1.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 2.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 3.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 4.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 5.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 6.rtf

5 hours ago, Michael G. Bray said:

Because I became aware of some PDF downloading issues, here are the first six chapters of Star Trek: The Wonderland Redemption in Rich Text Format (rtf.) I will convert the rest of the PDF chapters to rtf. and post them as they become available. If anyone has trouble downloading these also, please let me know and I will address the issue. Thanks to Selat Vie and Gazomg for bringing this to my attention and enjoy!
Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 1.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 2.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 3.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 4.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 5.rtf

Star Trek The Wonderland Redemption Chapter 6.rtf

Still not accessing these.   Hmm.  Wonder if Gazomg stil has the same issue (?)

12 minutes ago, Michael G. Bray said:

Any other folks out there NOT able to download chapters? Should I continue posting RTF files? I'm not sure what else to do on my end.

Think that might be a good idea.  I think there’s a definite compatibility issue here...:(

Can you post them on a fanfic hosting site, and then link it here?   

Sign in to follow this