Sign in to follow this  
John32070

Anyone know about this Captain Pike fan film ?

I vaguely remember this... very vaguely. I remember being intrigued because people usually focus on Kirk, not Pike (and I like Pike better). But that's all I remember. Hmm.

6 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I vaguely remember this... very vaguely. I remember being intrigued because people usually focus on Kirk, not Pike (and I like Pike better). But that's all I remember. Hmm.

If I had to guess, I'd say this proposed film probably fell victim to the same fate as many fan films lately; the new guidelines made it impossible to film, and the funding probably fell through as well.

That said?  There's an interesting Pike novel I read a few years ago called "Burning Dreams." Highly recommended. 

And yes, I like Pike too; he's more thoughtful and contemplative.   Much more a prototypical Picard than Kirk. 

It looks as though they did complete it (or most of it). Pretty impressive casting. Does make me wonder if it got taken off the shelf ala Axanar. Was just surprised there wasn't much more buzz about it.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If I had to guess, I'd say this proposed film probably fell victim to the same fate as many fan films lately; the new guidelines made it impossible to film, and the funding probably fell through as well.

That said?  There's an interesting Pike novel I read a few years ago called "Burning Dreams." Highly recommended. 

And yes, I like Pike too; he's more thoughtful and contemplative.   Much more a prototypical Picard than Kirk. 

I've actually read that one (it was released before I threw away all the novels I had and vowed to never read one again, haha)... it was okay, yes. It was nice to see someone bothering with Pike, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, John32070 said:

It looks as though they did complete it (or most of it). Pretty impressive casting. Does make me wonder if it got taken off the shelf ala Axanar. Was just surprised there wasn't much more buzz about it.

I think they made a bit of a buzz about it at first but then it was quietly abandoned for some reason - maybe it was partly Axanar and partly a funding issue, my guess would be that they didn't collect enough money to make their movie since... well... Pike isn't exactly the most popular captain in Trek's history.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I think they made a bit of a buzz about it at first but then it was quietly abandoned for some reason - maybe it was partly Axanar and partly a funding issue, my guess would be that they didn't collect enough money to make their movie since... well... Pike isn't exactly the most popular captain in Trek's history.

I don’t know about that; he was resurrected for the first two ST reboot movies, so I’m thinking someone thought there was mileage in the character.   Personally, I’ve always been a big Pike nerd.    Like I’ve said before, I’ve always had a mind’s-eye version of ST that followed the weekly adventures of Pike and his team rather than Kirk and company.    And Spock is in both... :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t know about that; he was resurrected for the first two ST reboot movies, so I’m thinking someone thought there was mileage in the character.   Personally, I’ve always been a big Pike nerd.    Like I’ve said before, I’ve always had a mind’s-eye version of ST that followed the weekly adventures of Pike and his team rather than Kirk and company.    And Spock is in both... :thumbup:

I've run into Trekkies who didn't even know who Pike IS. lol (Prime Pike, mind.) He does have his fans, though - but I'm not sure he has ENOUGH of them to make a fan film work. Although these days, with the whole outrage at Discovery and CBS and Paramount basically not listening to what fans want... they just might pull this off. Or might have had, if Axanar hadn't happened.

This reminds me... I should write another Picard/Pike ficlet

25 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

This reminds me... I should write another Picard/Pike ficlet

Captain(s) Pikard....:thumbup:

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Captain(s) Pikard....:thumbup:

That's the beauty of the pairing... its "mix" name given by the fandom youngsters these days would most likely simply be Picard. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

That's the beauty of the pairing... its "mix" name given by the fandom youngsters these days would most likely simply be Picard. :laugh:

Works either way.  I only put the K in there because well, Pike has a good century or so on Jean-Luc, so 'age before...' well, they’re both handsome guys, so forget the ‘before beauty’ part. 

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Works either way.  I only put the K in there because well, Pike has a good century or so on Jean-Luc, so 'age before...' well, they’re both handsome guys, so forget the ‘before beauty’ part. 

lmao! The fans would probably put the K in there as well just to make it clear that it's a pairing. Now, if only the pairing HAD any fans other than me... I swear my rare pair shipping preferences are a curse sometimes. (But also a blessing since I write the only fic, I set the standards.)

Sign in to follow this