TLOZ Lover

Skip Homeier has passed.

I read on Twitter today that two-time TOS guest star Skip Homeier passed away on June 25, 2017 at age 86.  Skip first appeared as Melakon in season two's "Patterns of Force" and returned in season three as Dr. Sevrin in "The Way to Eden".  I must admit I never made the connection that Skip played both of these characters, as I believe he is better remembered in the latter episode.  I'm only guessing, but I bet Dr. Sevrin is the only character whose ears took as long, if not longer, to create in makeup than Spock's.  Ah well, R.I.P, sir!

8 hours ago, TLOZ Lover said:

I read on Twitter today that two-time TOS guest star Skip Homeier passed away on June 25, 2017 at age 86.  Skip first appeared as Melakon in season two's "Patterns of Force" and returned in season three as Dr. Sevrin in "The Way to Eden".  I must admit I never made the connection that Skip played both of these characters, as I believe he is better remembered in the latter episode.  I'm only guessing, but I bet Dr. Sevrin is the only character whose ears took as long, if not longer, to create in makeup than Spock's.  Ah well, R.I.P, sir!

I also remember him from the old “Outer Limits” episode, “The Expanding Man” (with James Doohan).  He had an intensity that just brought down the house, with that deep voice and that strong face. 

RIP Skip Homier. 

I just check his filmography and he was a great actor, but even he could not save the horrendous THE WAY TO EDEN, Star Trek at its worst.

RIP Skip

19601168_10213675633424309_2885573389894

19702008_10213675635424359_8833052770930

Gus

11 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I just check his filmography and he was a great actor, but even he could not save the horrendous THE WAY TO EDEN, Star Trek at its worst.

RIP Skip

19601168_10213675633424309_2885573389894

19702008_10213675635424359_8833052770930

Gus

Ironic.

I’ve always thought of STV as a remake of “The Way to Eden.”  :laugh:

Think about it; a group of idealistic religious zealots take over the Enterprise, fly it into ‘forbidden’ territory (Great Barrier, Romulan neutral zone) to look for a mystical, biblical “Eden” and in the process, the protagonists (Sybok, the space hippies) are left disillusioned and/or dead. 

The only difference is budget and a better soundtrack. :giggle:

Sim   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But not really better f/x or dialogues... :giggle:

Have to admit, I like "The Way to Eden". It's bad, yes, but I think it wasn't remotely such a bad idea in 1968, as it appears in retrospect. I like that Chekov gets some more backstory, and most of all -- that Spock sympathizes with the hippies' alienation! That's amazing, IMO!

So yes, the episode is bad ... but there are worse, IMO. Or maybe I just like it, because it was the first episode I taped on audio tape back in the 80s...

Skip Homeier: I think he did a great job in this episode. Even if it's bad -- his acting definitely is not the reason for that. He's genuinely creepy.

RIP, Skip Homeier, and thank you! =)

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ironic.

I’ve always thought of STV as a remake of “The Way to Eden.”  :laugh:

Think about it; a group of idealistic religious zealots take over the Enterprise, fly it into ‘forbidden’ territory (Great Barrier, Romulan neutral zone) to look for a mystical, biblical “Eden” and in the process, the protagonists (Sybok, the space hippies) are left disillusioned and/or dead. 

Touche !

LOL

Gus

1 hour ago, Sim said:

But not really better f/x or dialogues... :giggle:

Have to admit, I like "The Way to Eden". It's bad, yes, but I think it wasn't remotely such a bad idea in 1968, as it appears in retrospect. I like that Chekov gets some more backstory, and most of all -- that Spock sympathizes with the hippies' alienation! That's amazing, IMO!

So yes, the episode is bad ... but there are worse, IMO. Or maybe I just like it, because it was the first episode I taped on audio tape back in the 80s...

Skip Homeier: I think he did a great job in this episode. Even if it's bad -- his acting definitely is not the reason for that. He's genuinely creepy.

RIP, Skip Homeier, and thank you! =)

He was also Deputy Fuhrer Melakon in "Patterns of Force."  

He made the coolest 'getting shot' face I'd ever seen...:laugh:

Sim   
3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

He was also Deputy Fuhrer Melakon in "Patterns of Force."  

He made the coolest 'getting shot' face I'd ever seen...:laugh:

LOL, yes... "kissing death welcome!" :laugh:

Definitely a memorable TOS guest star!

10 hours ago, Sim said:

LOL, yes... "kissing death welcome!" :laugh:

This was it:

patternsofforcehd1368.jpg

He also had a memorable (and deeply creepy) death scene in “Way to Eden”:

thewaytoedenhd1406.jpg

I just hope his real-life passing was peaceful and that he was surrounded by love.  :(   RIP Skip.