Sign in to follow this  
Justin Snead

I just became a dad

I have not been on the message boards in a month since I became a dad. My husband and I have been on an adoption waiting list since last year and on June 1st we welcomed our baby girl into our lives. Viola is happy and healthy. 

A couple Trek related points. I never paid any attention to baby related Trek paraphernalia until now. I realize that I now must have a baby Star Fleet uniform. I am looking forward to watching Trek with her. We're going to start her early with Discovery--she'll only be 3 1/2 months old when it starts. I'm more excited than I was before that Sonequa Martin Green is playing Burnham. My daughter is black (I'm not) and will grow up needing strong black female role models in pop culture. I also really hope--SPOILERS--that Burnham turns out to be adopted, and maybe Serek is more than just her mentor.

When I was growing up in the 80s there was a lot of great Trek for me to absorb in my formative years. TOS was popular and rerunning on TV all the time. The movies were big. And by the time I was 6 TNG started. Here's hope that Viola and the rest of us have 10 years of great Trek to enjoy. 

2 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

I have not been on the message boards in a month since I became a dad. My husband and I have been on an adoption waiting list since last year and on June 1st we welcomed our baby girl into our lives. Viola is happy and healthy. 

A couple Trek related points. I never paid any attention to baby related Trek paraphernalia until now. I realize that I now must have a baby Star Fleet uniform. I am looking forward to watching Trek with her. We're going to start her early with Discovery--she'll only be 3 1/2 months old when it starts. I'm more excited than I was before that Sonequa Martin Green is playing Burnham. My daughter is black (I'm not) and will grow up needing strong black female role models in pop culture. I also really hope--SPOILERS--that Burnham turns out to be adopted, and maybe Serek is more than just her mentor.

When I was growing up in the 80s there was a lot of great Trek for me to absorb in my formative years. TOS was popular and rerunning on TV all the time. The movies were big. And by the time I was 6 TNG started. Here's hope that Viola and the rest of us have 10 years of great Trek to enjoy. 

Congratulations!!! 

Belated Father's Day wishes to you and your husband, and all the best for a terrific future for your family. :thumbup::thumbup: and baby makes...:thumbup:

PS: Love the name "Viola" by th way; sounds so regal to me.  Maybe because it reminds me of one of my favorite actresses; the woman who can make me tear up with just a look, Viola Davis.

"And so it begins."  Becoming a dad by any means is a giant leap of faith and courage. Here's wishing the three of you the most marvelous adventure mankind has to offer.  Its like sky diving, but doing it every day.

5 hours ago, Justin Snead said:

Fantastic! Congratulations - to all of you!

This is where the trip to "strange new worlds" really begins...!

Sim   

Hey congrats! It's an amazing experience... they grow so quickly! =)

Enjoy that time, all the three of you!

Edited by Sim

On 6/26/2017 at 8:22 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Congratulations!!! 

Belated Father's Day wishes to you and your husband, and all the best for a terrific future for your family. :thumbup::thumbup: and baby makes...:thumbup:

PS: Love the name "Viola" by th way; sounds so regal to me.  Maybe because it reminds me of one of my favorite actresses; the woman who can make me tear up with just a look, Viola Davis.

Named after my husband's grandmother. But when people ask about the pronouncement we say it's like Viola Davis. 

31 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Named after my husband's grandmother. But when people ask about the pronouncement we say it's like Viola Davis. 

Either one works. ;)