prometheus59650

Adam West Dies at 88.

kenman   

Not the hugest fan of the 60s show, but I actually enjoy the movie they did, it is a good comedy really. As a little kid he wasn't the real Batman for me, as the Keaton film was a huge part of my childhood, so he WAS Batman...but Adam West was for some reason alway referred to by me and my brother as "Purple Batman."  So RIP Purple Batman...no matter what, you were an icon. 

Sim   

RIP Mr. West. When I was 8 or so, I loved his 60s Batman show... though even at that age I soon realized it was very repetetive. I've never rewatched an episode since, maybe I should do so.

Not terribly surprising, but very sad.  The end of an era, indeed.   My sister texted me with the news this morning.  She used to have a crush on him as a little girl.  I feel terrible that I had a chance to get his autograph last year at a local trade show, but demurred because it was too expensive.  He's one of those celebrities who you think will always be at conventions, so you assume there's always another chance. 

Sadly, those celebrities, and those chances, are rapidly disappearing... :(

Rest in peace, Adam West.

He was also in a movie that greatly inspired me as a kid; it was "The Martian" of 1964, "Robinson Crusoe on Mars."   He played a supporting role in it.   A great movie, despite the silly title.   Wrote about it in my blog, if anyone's interested: A Tale of Two Martians/Musings of a Middle-Aged Geek @ Wordpress.com

I also recently saw "The Return of the Caped Crusaders" (2016) an animated feature that reunited West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar in a continuation of the 1960s' Batman.   Sadly, even their voices sounded frail and weaker, though the story was very much in keeping with the '60s TV show (albeit in the unchained format of animation).   Worth a look for the curious and sentimental. 

7 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Nicely done, sir.

Seth MacFarlane pays tribute.

^
Thanks.  

And a lovely tribute from Seth MacFarlane; he’s a terrific guy (and a fellow member of The Planetary Society, too!).  Saw him in person at Planetfest 2012 in Pasadena and he had some terrific things about the late Carl Sagan and COSMOS as well.