Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Can Tom Cruise Save THE MUMMY ???

Not even close, man. At least The Mummy didn't have me rooting for the mummy.

Dr. Doom? Wasn't wrong.

But, hey, opinions.

Edited by prometheus59650

The Mummy remake was made for nobody, except maybe the market beyond the States. It was such an obvious bad idea the studio went with it. I'd say it was worse than Transformers 2, but better than Fantastic 4. 17 percent or 1 and one half star is generous.

The Mummy herself is a rip off of the powers from X Men Apocalypse, including the reason she has for choosing Cruise, to for some reason make him and her immortal or something, and Ghostbusters, (bad guy can become like mist, cross realms, etc). and Suicide Squad, (grey blue witch wants to 'destroy everything' for some reason),and American Werewolf in London, (Cruise's Nick has an undead friend only he can see), and a number of zombie movies.

Crowe was not convincing as Jekyll, but as Hyde kind of was. He can play angry. He would have been a better choice to play the Nick character. Cruise would have been better as Jekyll.

The Mummy powers didn't make sense, nor did the Aslan (the Jesus Lion from the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe) like sacrifice scene (spoiler kinda).

This is the fifth movie in over a year where a gray blue baddie attempts to use zombies, whirlwinds (sand from Egypt, what). and fog against the heroes. It is the third in which said baddie is a female.

It is not scary. Not even slightly.

"This isn't a tomb. It's a prison!" And if it is a prison, why does Nick even mess with it?

Eh, that;s a line from a lot of movies. It's also similar to "That's not a moon. It's a space station."

Templars and Crusaders are not the same people.

Mercury does not 'ward off evil spirits'. It does however poison the mind.

So the whole movie is hinging on the stupid actions of a few guys in the opening scene, ala Suicide Squad. and ala Fantastic Four.

Nick;s resurrection following the plane crash (in the trailer too) doesn't make one lick of sense and is never explained. If he was already immortal, apparently, he already had powers before the Mummy entered his mind. That is just sloppy writing.

Oh, Kurtzman and Orci. Got it.

Gee, they did such a bang up job with Into Darkness, why not let the helm the Dark Universe?

Dark Universe monster movies will not make them into Marvel, because that's a weak idea. Comic book heroes are much more long lived, and have much more to choose from.

Does Dracula Untold count?

Well, it wasn't boring, just inane. 1 and 12 stars.

Edited by Chimera82405

48 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

This isn't a tomb. It's a prison!" And if it is a prison, why does Nick even mess with it?

Really nitpicky. Why mess with it? Because "superstition" It's not real.

Because it's a plot point and one of the most common in films. Why does Brendon Frasier mess with the tomb? Why does Rachel Weisz wanna mess with the book of the dead?

Why does everyone stay around after the first couple of camp counselors end up dead?

54 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

Nick;s resurrection following the plane crash (in the trailer too) doesn't make one lick of sense and is never explained. If he was already immortal, apparently, he already had powers before the Mummy entered his mind. That is just sloppy writing.

No. It isn't (darn you for making me defend the film to this degree) Nick was the one who released her, therefore Nick was her chosen. That was made clear throughout the film.He was cursed by her to be functionally immortal until she could drive the dagger into him and Set could take his body.

And no Orci. Kurtzman directed. And I've never had a particular problem with him.

26 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Really nitpicky. Why mess with it? Because "superstition" It's not real.

Because it's a plot point and one of the most common in films. Why does Brendon Frasier mess with the tomb? Why does Rachel Weisz wanna mess with the book of the dead?

Why does everyone stay around after the first couple of camp counselors end up dead?

No. It isn't (darn you for making me defend the film to this degree) Nick was the one who released her, therefore Nick was her chosen. That was made clear throughout the film.He was cursed by her to be functionally immortal until she could drive the dagger into him and Set could take his body.

And no Orci. Kurtzman directed. And I've never had a particular problem with him.

Yes they spelled it out. No it does not make any sense. Why not just let Set (Seth) take over without the need to use the dagger, or the need to use Nick? She was plenty powerful without his even being there. Like Apocalypse though, she desired to have more power through a special human, and that was her undoing. Also like the witch in Suicide Squad, who is set free through inept uncontrolled reasons, if the Nick character didn't find the tomb, the movie would have never taken place.

No Orci. It was Keopp. Yeah, different guy.

Kurtsman also helped on Transformers 2.

The curse and her reasoning was still intensely sloppy writing. It's almost Battlefield Earth style logic. (In that film, the Psychlos train the man animals to fight, and in doing so, destroy themselves). The bad guy literally makes the hero powerful enough to defeat him, or her, and so he does. X Men Apocalypse has a similar idea, the demigod bringing in the most powerful mutant telepath (Xavier) to forward his immortality, but in doing so, destroys his chances of actually doing it.

Sure it is just a movie, but it is a weak movie. It is more interesting not to tell the viewer every six minutes 'this is a curse!" and "this dagger has immortality!" every eight minutes. Why not show this instead?

It would be like if Khan in TWOK kept saying to the audience 'I am evil, justified in my actions, and want revenge' literally every other scene, instead of just a few times. Like in Into Darkness when that version of Khan has to remind the viewer every scene that 'I am evil and I am Khan" because this new crew never met him.

Marvel does their villains sometimes a bit weak, but at least like in GotG2 the villain's reasoning makes some sense. He is literally ego, and he wants everything to be an extension of him.

31 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

Why not just let Set (Seth) take over without the need to use the dagger, or the need to use Nick?

The jewel was the conduit for Set

31 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

if the Nick character didn't find the tomb, the movie would have never taken place.

So? "If/then" questions are the lynchpin of film. It's the plot. If Admiral Nogura had told Kirk no, then Captain Decker would have met with V'ger. But Nogura has to say yes, so Kirk can be captain. It is in no sense a huge nit or a plot problem.

Edited by prometheus59650

Can Tom Cruise save the Mummy (wergo starting the Dark Universe franchise)? No. The non US returns might be good, but this 'series' is just not going to work.

Not a huge nit. Nah. It seemed like it was a badly paced fan fiction of a Mummy movie, (not that some fan fiction isn't worth it). and that it was sloppy.

As one of y'all said, 'Mummies just aren't scary'. Mission Impossible: The Mummy was just confused and didn't know what it wants to be, or if it does, doesn't know how to get there.

Sign in to follow this