Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Can Tom Cruise Save THE MUMMY ???

Oh, geee whiz.............

THE MUMMY Reviews Are In... And It's Not Looking Good For The First DARK UNIVERSE Movie

Will Tom Cruise fans ignore critics and turn out in full force to see The Mummy, the launch of Universal's Dark Universe? What does a failure mean for the rest of the studio's monster movies? BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Gus

kenman   

The whole Dark Universe concept seems flawed...I love the old Universal Monster movies, but part of the love is the atmosphere and the black and white cinematography and the old school creeps...I don't want an actiony franchise trying to update the properties, I just wanna pop in my blu-rays of the classics around Halloween.  So I have no interest in their attempt to make a Marvel-like universe, I certainly haven't seen a single trailer for this movie that looks intriguing at all.

And Tom Cruise, while often serviceable in this role, usually just plays "Tom Cruise Action Man."  I don't care about him that much.  Personally, if every movie he makes is gonna end up looking kind of like Mission: Impossible, why doesn't he just commit his time to pumping one of those out every year, then he gets to play his generic action man and do his wacky stunts, and make entertaining action popcorn flicks.  I like those Mission: Impossible movies for the most part, it is a decent summer franchise that tends to entertain and not take itself so seriously...but I don't really have interest in seeing him do the same thing in other franchises. 

It should also be noted, this is Universal's second attempt at the "launching" of this Dark Universe concept.  "Dracula Untold" was also being touted as the possible start to a cinematic monsters universe, but it got bashed by critics and bombed and then they sort of dragged their feet and then pretended that the Mummy was going to be the true launch.  Who really cares or wants this? Make a couple good monster movies and if they work and people respond to them maybe you can join them up for fun, but this pre-planned assembly line nonsense is putting a lot of eggs into one basket and then resting all their hopes on people having a lot of interest in another remake of "The Mummy" of all things. 

Edited by kenman

21 minutes ago, kenman said:

The whole Dark Universe concept seems flawed...I love the old Universal Monster movies, but part of the love is the atmosphere and the black and white cinematography and the old school creeps...I don't want an actiony franchise trying to update the properties, I just wanna pop in my blu-rays of the classics around Halloween.  So I have no interest in their attempt to make a Marvel-like universe, I certainly haven't seen a single trailer for this movie that looks intriguing at all.

^

This...

And Tom Cruise, while often serviceable in this role, usually just plays "Tom Cruise Action Man."  I don't care about him that much.  Personally, if every movie he makes is gonna end up looking kind of like Mission: Impossible, why doesn't he just commit his time to pumping one of those out every year, then he gets to play his generic action man and do his wacky stunts, and make entertaining action popcorn flicks.  I like those Mission: Impossible movies for the most part, it is a decent summer franchise that tends to entertain and not take itself so seriously...but I don't really have interest in seeing him do the same thing in other franchises. 

^
And this...

It should also be noted, this is Universal's second attempt at the "launching" of this Dark Universe concept.  "Dracula Untold" was also being touted as the possible start to a cinematic monsters universe, but it got bashed by critics and bombed and then they sort of dragged their feet and then pretended that the Mummy was going to be the true launch.  Who really cares or wants this? Make a couple good monster movies and if they work and people respond to them maybe you can join them up for fun, but this pre-planned assembly line nonsense is putting a lot of eggs into one basket and then resting all their hopes on people having a lot of interest in another remake of "The Mummy" of all things. 

^

Wasn't "Van Helsing" yet another quasi-failed attempt at launching some kind of a new Universal Monster franchise 2.0? 

kenman   
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Wasn't "Van Helsing" yet another quasi-failed attempt at launching some kind of a new Universal Monster franchise 2.0? 

Possbily?  I think that was more of Stephen Sommers (also directed the Brendon Fraser Mummy remake), trying to make a tribute to the Monster mash up flicks of the 40s.  I never actually saw Van Helsing though. 

1 minute ago, kenman said:

Possbily?  I think that was more of Stephen Sommers (also directed the Brendon Fraser Mummy remake), trying to make a tribute to the Monster mash up flicks of the 40s.  I never actually saw Van Helsing though. 

Watched a few minutes of it.  Bored the hell out of me.  I couldn't stand the Sommers' Mummy movies either. 

l grew up watching the old Universal horror movies on TV as a kid (in glorious black and white!).  I even had some of the old Aurora model kits of Frankenstein, the Wolfman and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  My first magazine subscription as a kid was "Famous Monsters of Filmland" (back when it was edited by the late Forry Ackerman).   

So yeah, to say I'm a fan of the Universal horror movies too is a bit of an understatement... :thumbup:

kenman   
2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Watched a few minutes of it.  Bored the hell out of me.  I couldn't stand the Sommers' Mummy movies either. 

l grew up watching the old Universal horror movies on TV as a kid (in glorious black and white!).  I even had some of the old Aurora model kits of Frankenstein, the Wolfman and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  My first magazine subscription as a kid was "Famous Monsters of Filmland" (back when it was edited by the late Forry Ackerman).   

So yeah, to say I'm a fan of the Universal horror movies too is a bit of an understatement... :thumbup:

I actually didn't mind the first two Mummy remakes, they weren't horror films, but since I have never been too keen on the original Mummy, I didn't mind that they turned into a sort of adventure film.  They were cornball and goofy and not really horror...but the first two were actually kind of fun in my view.  At least it was something different, and if you are gonna do a remake, doing it in a completely different style is the only real way to do it in my view. 

18 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, I'll be seeing The Mummy tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Once again, Prometheus is our resident canary in the coal mine... :laugh:

I actually didn't mind the first two Mummy remakes, they weren't horror films, but since I have never been too keen on the original Mummy, I didn't mind that they turned into a sort of adventure film.  They were cornball and goofy and not really horror

^ Kinda why I didn't like them... because they were goofy and not really horror.   I like my mummies goth and scary.  :P

For me, the Fraser Mummy movies felt like 2nd rate Indiana Jones' ripoffs. 

kenman   
20 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once again, Prometheus is our resident canary in the coal mine... :laugh:

^ Kinda why I didn't like them... because they were goofy and not really horror.   I like my mummies goth and scary.  :P

For me, the Fraser Mummy movies felt like 2nd rate Indiana Jones' ripoffs. 

Oh they kinda are, but since I never find mummies to be scary,  I personally saw it as a better way to go with em.  Because...mummies...eh?

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Oh they kinda are, but since I never find mummies to be scary,  I personally saw it as a better way to go with em.  Because...mummies...eh?

Not for me.  I think mummies and action go together like peanut butter and salmon, but yeah, sure...

kenman   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Not for me.  I think mummies and action go together like peanut butter and salmon, but yeah, sure...

Well if you can explain to me what is scary about a mummy maybe I could see it otherwise. 

Well if you can explain to me what is scary about a mummy maybe I could see it otherwise. 

They were scary when I was a kid; and for many of the same reasons that zombies, and any other reanimated corpse might scare someone... because it's um.. dead.   And still moving.   To most people, that's fairly scary...:P

I just don't think of mummies as something one shares a rip-snorting good time with the whole family, either. 

17 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

I will not kill myself of boredom to death to see this one.

Nothing about the trailer had me even remotely interested to see it.

And isn't it essentially the same movie as X-Men Apocalypse? 

I heard a plot summary of the movie at the grocery store yesterday (of all places, lol) and what I heard really did NOT make me want to see it. :laugh:

Having just gotten back from it. Is it the sleeper hit of the summer?

Not by a long shot.

Is is 17% bad on RT bad?

Not by a long shot.

It's a pretty standard for these days monster movie. It had some honestly creepy moments and a couple of nice action setpieces. Boutella works as The Mummy, too 

Is it a great start to this Universal "Dark Universe" thing they want to do? I think it was a dumb idea to start with and nothing in this movie convinces me that this is a thing that needs to or should happen.

Am I convincing anyone here to go see it? Unlikely. But it was a perfectly serviceable little monster flick. I didn't feel ripped off by it. 

9 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I heard a plot summary of the movie at the grocery store yesterday (of all places, lol) and what I heard really did NOT make me want to see it. :laugh:

The trailer did that for me. :laugh:

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Having just gotten back from it. Is it the sleeper hit of the summer?

Not by a long shot.

Is is 17% bad on RT bad?

Not by a long shot.

It's a pretty standard for these days monster movie. It had some honestly creepy moments and a couple of nice action setpieces. Boutella works as The Mummy, too 

Is it a great start to this Universal "Dark Universe" thing they want to do? I think it was a dumb idea to start with and nothing in this movie convinces me that this is a thing that needs to or should happen.

Am I convincing anyone here to go see it? Unlikely. But it was a perfectly serviceable little monster flick. I didn't feel ripped off by it. 

Interesting... and I value your opinion, but I'm afraid it's not enough to break my a$$-to-couch inertia to get up and see it. :laugh:

36 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The trailer did that for me. :laugh:

Interesting... and I value your opinion, but I'm afraid it's not enough to break my a$$-to-couch inertia to get up and see it. :laugh:

LOL.

There are definitely better things to see. Hell, I'm contemplating a threepeat of Wonder Woman.

Honestly I just don't think it's the celluloid abomination critics think it is. I was more entertained by it, than say, literally anything with "Fast" and "Furious" together in the title.

22 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

LOL.

There are definitely better things to see. Hell, I'm contemplating a threepeat of Wonder Woman.

Honestly I just don't think it's the celluloid abomination critics think it is. I was more entertained by it, than say, literally anything with "Fast" and "Furious" together in the title.

I avoid all things labeled 'Fast' or 'Furious'... they're the bullying high school jock d-bags of movies. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I avoid all things labeled 'Fast' or 'Furious'... they're the bullying high school jock d-bags of movies. :laugh:

But the acting...the rich plots rife with subtext that demand repeat viewings. ;)

That these were prominent on her resume was one of the reasons I doubted Gadot.

Quite happy to have been proven wrong there.

22 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

But the acting...the rich plots rife with subtext that demand repeat viewings. ;)

That these were prominent on her resume was one of the reasons I doubted Gadot.

Quite happy to have been proven wrong there.

I wasn't terribly impressed with her seemingly stilted turn in BvS, but I was wrong as well; under the right director, she was excellent. 

Oh, wait... Mummy thread.  Um... not going to see it.  There.  :P

47 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Way to...get things...back on the rails, I guess. :laugh:

I try.... :angel_not: :P

Train%20Wreck%20One.gif

WONDER WOMAN Retains Weekend Box Office Crown With $57.2M, THE MUMMY Opens Huge Worldwide With $174M

The Mummy may not have fared so well in the States, but overseas, it's now the biggest opener of Tom Cruise's career!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt ???

The Mummy its an awfully bad movie which I had the disgrace to see this weekend. And it made $174M worldwide ??? Golly.

Gus
Edited by GustavoLeao

Sign in to follow this