Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Explorer3

Favourite Film Scenes

20 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been done before -- if so, I can post on that topic instead. I thought about making this in the Hollywood section, but I assumed that would mean we would have to exclude a genre like Science Fiction, which would be a shame.

What are your favourite film scenes in general, and why?

1 hour ago, Explorer3 said:

Apologies if this has been done before -- if so, I can post on that topic instead. I thought about making this in the Hollywood section, but I assumed that would mean we would have to exclude a genre like Science Fiction, which would be a shame.

What are your favourite film scenes in general, and why?

You know, I don't think we've had this exact topic before, and there's really no reason why it can't go here (it's not as if Hollywood makes ALL movies and TV shows, right? :laugh:).

I just checked the Hollywood section a moment ago, and I didn't see any thread quite like it, so sure. 

To kick things off?  One of my all-time favorite scenes (and it has about 4 different authors, depending on who you choose to believe); Robert Shaw's "Quint"'s monologue of his service on the ill-fated, real-life USS Indianapolis during WW2 in "JAWS" (1975):

Edit:  

Oh, I forgot to add the why... why?  Well because Robert Shaw is just mesmerizing in this scene.   I love how the camera catches the other characters reactions, and John Williams' eerie music as well.   I've heard Shaw was a bit er... imbibed... when he shot it, but for me?  It only adds to the scene.    The bitterness and resentment in his voice is palpable.   I can see the entire scene he's describing so vividly

Posted (edited)

I don't think I ever saw Jaws...

As for my own choices -- there are probably a few scenes I could name from The Lord of the Rings movies.

- Theoden's 'horse and the rider' speech during the battle of Helm's Deep. There is a real melancholic air to it, as you see the advancing enemies and kids being handed weapons.

- After the group believe that Gandalf has died, there is a great moment where they're all mourning, and Aragorn looks around for Frodo. He sees Frodo walking away, and when he calls to him Frodo turns around and looks as if he's mentally crushed by everything. He doesn't say anything, you just see how he feels from his expression and the music. It works well in getting the emotion of the moment across.

- Eowyn walks outside, despairing, and the flag nearby rips off in the wind and settles on the ground in the distance, just as members of the fellowship are entering Rohan. Gorgeous visuals and music here.

There are probably more, but I'll list them at another point.

I was also thinking of another film recently -- Wong Kar-wai's The Grandmaster. It's a flawed work, but I quite like certain elements of it. There is a fight scene between Ip Man and Gong Er that has an artistry about it that is reminiscent of stuff like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's an interesting 'fight', because it mixes their competitive desire to win with a romantic attraction. Aside from that, I like the elegance of it all.

Edited by Explorer3

Start with Jaws 3...

...comparable films. :laugh:

Posted (edited)

Eh, Jaws 3 is comparable to The Lord of the Rings and The Grandmaster? *Looks it up online and finds out that it's apparently awful*

Aww, come on...even if people don't like the films I listed, I'd be surprised if they considered them to be that bad.

(Or were you joking about Jaws 3 being comparable to the original movie?)

Edited by Explorer3

30 minutes ago, Explorer3 said:

Eh, Jaws 3 is comparable to The Lord of the Rings and The Grandmaster? *Looks it up online and finds out that it's apparently awful*

Aww, come on...even if people don't like the films I listed, I'd be surprised if they considered them to be that bad.

(Or were you joking about Jaws 3 being comparable to the original movie?)

I kid. :)

Thats easy.

BACK TO THE FUTURE.

Gus

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Thats easy.

BACK TO THE FUTURE.

Gus

But what's your favorite scene (title of thread)?  ;)

3 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

I don't think I ever saw Jaws...

You NEED to see this one.  

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I kid. :)

Oh, gotcha.

Sehlat Vie:

I would, but I'm a wimp when it comes to horror/creepy stuff in general, so the idea of watching a shark terrorise people sounds like it would be tough to watch...

7 minutes ago, Explorer3 said:

Oh, gotcha.

Sehlat Vie:

I would, but I'm a wimp when it comes to horror/creepy stuff in general, so the idea of watching a shark terrorise people sounds like it would be tough to watch...

I understand, and there are a few good scares in JAWS, that's for sure.  But it's also a surprisingly strong character film as well; the triumvirate of Brody, Quint and Hooper is a terrific study in character contrasts and they are played by an amazing cadre of actors (Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfus and Robert Shaw, all at the peak of their powers). 

The cinematography and music are sumptuous as well.

It's a classic for a reason. ;)

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But what's your favorite scene (title of thread)?  ;)

You NEED to see this one.  

The clock tower scene at the ending of the original BACK TO THE FUTURE is my favorite scene ever.

And yeah, JAWS is  a classic.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

The clock tower scene at the ending of the original BACK TO THE FUTURE is my favorite scene ever.

^

That clock tower scene at the end of BTTF is truly amazing; a masterful piece of editing, sound, music and energy.  So beautifully timed and cut that it runs like (excuse the pun) clockwork.

Okay... I'm not into movies usually but some I do like so here it goes.

- The Frank/Brad bed scene in the Rocky Horror Picture Show movie. Because I was 14 when I first saw it, and it confused me, opened my eyes to certain things and yet eluded me in its true meaning, all at the same time.

- The dinner debate scene at the table in Jurassic Park when everyone except Gennaro slams Hammond's park idea. The TNG fan that I am adores this scene. It just... DELIVERS. 100%. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." This could literally be a Jean-Luc Picard line.

- The final scene in "Saw". GAME OVER!

- Sam picking up Frodo and carrying him in the last Lord Of The Rings movie, with his "I can't carry the ring but I can carry YOU" logic, I love it. BECAUSE I SHIP IT and THESE TWO and SO RELATABLE.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

- The dinner debate scene at the table in Jurassic Park when everyone except Gennaro slams Hammond's park idea. The TNG fan that I am adores this scene. It just... DELIVERS. 100%. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." This could literally be a Jean-Luc Picard line.

^
This movie is FULL of great scenes, so help me.  

A friend of mine (and fellow dinosaur-geek) said she literally wept at the sight of that first brachiosaur in the movie; I was about 26 when I saw it, and I nearly did too... it was like seeing a childhood dream realized.

^
The sheer power and awe of that moment... them's were some serious feels! 

Being the dinosaur nerd that I am it STILL manages to touch me as well. For me the movie holds so much teenage nostalgia.... and, well, yum, Alan Grant. I have a thing for grumpy nerds who dislike children I was too young to see it in the theater and my mother refused to go with me but felt sorry about it (it was age 12 and over and I was 10) and she felt bad that I couldn't go and see it because I LOVED DINOSAURS SO MUCH and so she bought me the book, but what she didn't know was that the book is a LOT nastier than the movie and has a LOT more gory scenes... she still calls this "my most epic gift misjudgment ever". :P I love both the book and movie although I have entirely different favorites and OTPs in each since the characters are mostly completely or at least significantly different. It's amazing how GREAT the movie turned out to be DESPITE being so different from the book in many parts.

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Being the dinosaur nerd that I am it STILL manages to touch me as well. For me the movie holds so much teenage nostalgia.... and, well, yum, Alan Grant. I have a thing for grumpy nerds who dislike children I was too young to see it in the theater and my mother refused to go with me but felt sorry about it (it was age 12 and over and I was 10) and she felt bad that I couldn't go and see it because I LOVED DINOSAURS SO MUCH and so she bought me the book, but what she didn't know was that the book is a LOT nastier than the movie and has a LOT more gory scenes... she still calls this "my most epic gift misjudgment ever". :P I love both the book and movie although I have entirely different favorites and OTPs in each since the characters are mostly completely or at least significantly different. It's amazing how GREAT the movie turned out to be DESPITE being so different from the book in many parts.

For me, the book and movie of JP are a classic 'apples/oranges' scenario.  Michael Crichton's book works well... as a novel.  The movie works much better... theatrically.  They're different beasts (excuse the pun), but each works well for its respective medium.  I would say the same for Spielberg's similar treatment of Peter Benchley's JAWS.

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

For me, the book and movie of JP are a classic 'apples/oranges' scenario.  Michael Crichton's book works well... as a novel.  The movie works much better... theatrically.  They're different beasts (excuse the pun), but each works well for its respective medium.  I would say the same for Spielberg's similar treatment of Peter Benchley's JAWS.

Yeah. With JP it's an absolute miracle they managed to make the movie work AND still look good by today's standards. So many other monster movies look ridiculously outdated now but Jurassic Park still holds up. It was a REAL challenge back then for them to bring dinosaurs to life. Still, I still wish my Gennaro/Muldoon OTP had survived the transition from book to movie I mean LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO POOR GENNARO HE IS NOTHING LIKE GENNARO IN THE BOOK *WHINES*

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yeah. With JP it's an absolute miracle they managed to make the movie work AND still look good by today's standards. So many other monster movies look ridiculously outdated now but Jurassic Park still holds up. It was a REAL challenge back then for them to bring dinosaurs to life. Still, I still wish my Gennaro/Muldoon OTP had survived the transition from book to movie I mean LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO POOR GENNARO HE IS NOTHING LIKE GENNARO IN THE BOOK *WHINES*

I saw JP again in theatres a few years ago (in 3D, no less) and it still held up ridiculously well; the brachiosaur scene had exactly the same impact today as it did then.   

And yes, Gennaro became the movie's whipping boy/fraidy cat.   Oh well... adaptations.  Whattyagonnado? :P

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I saw JP again in theatres a few years ago (in 3D, no less) and it still held up ridiculously well; the brachiosaur scene had exactly the same impact today as it did then.   

And yes, Gennaro became the movie's whipping boy/fraidy cat.   Oh well... adaptations.  Whattyagonnado? :P

He's the angsty type in the book as well but he's a BULK of a guy and Muldoon loves to poke him (ahem haha) and it's glorious (I think at the end he even shoves him down the velocirator nest because he's 100% done with his shenanigans, lmfao) and I can't help but despair when I look at the whiny human Ferengi they turned him into the movie, lol! (Muldoon is my fave in both movie and book, sure, but Book!Muldoon is even cooler than Movie!Muldoon. AND he has a much better storyline and more personality, ah well, yeah, I get it, they couldn't make EVERYONE into a major character.)

Sehlat Vie:

Maybe I'll watch it one day...Roger Ebert wrote about it for his 'Great Movies' list, if I remember right.

Hmm, I'm trying to think of more scenes for this thread. Maybe the one where Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp in ESB. The music and visuals combine to leave the viewer in awe.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0