GustavoLeao

Discovery and Me

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

INS remains firmly at the very bottom of my ST movies’ list.

I try to watch it every now and then but I can't get much past them recovering Data.

46 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I try to watch it every now and then but I can't get much past them recovering Data.

The last few times I’ve attempted to watch it, I just can’t make it all the way through.   It’s that bad.

DSC would have to screw up pretty badly in every single way to make me dislike it that much.

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I only have deep pain when I watch Into Darkness or Insurrection. :laugh:

What about NEMESIS ?  I can watch INSURRECTION like  a two-part seventh season episode, but I cant stand NEMESIS at all.

Gus

22 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

What about NEMESIS ?  I can watch INSURRECTION like  a two-part seventh season episode, but I cant stand NEMESIS at all.

Gus

I like NEM better than INS.   At least it looks more like a real movie, and there is a decent space battle.   INS has nothing for me at all.

40 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I like NEM better than INS.   At least it looks more like a real movie, and there is a decent space battle.   INS has nothing for me at all.

Thats true. Digital Domain FX on NEMESIS are indeeed good.

But back on topic :

More Canon Characters Coming To DISCOVERY

Co-showrunner Gretchen J. Berg confirmed Discovery will feature more characters from Star Trek canon, saying:

"I think what’s been great about this version of Star Trek and the way that we are telling through a serialized approach is we are taking our time to introduce people. We are spending time with people when we introduce them. So, we will be bringing back other [canon characters]. But, as far as when and the specifics of all of that…When we get them, we want to spend time with them and really do a deep dive on why they are in the episode or in the arc or whatever we do with them."

Geeee, I hope its not Captain PIke or Mr Spock, but I know it will be them LOL

Gus

8 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Thats true. Digital Domain FX on NEMESIS are indeeed good.

But back on topic :

More Canon Characters Coming To DISCOVERY

Co-showrunner Gretchen J. Berg confirmed Discovery will feature more characters from Star Trek canon, saying:

"I think what’s been great about this version of Star Trek and the way that we are telling through a serialized approach is we are taking our time to introduce people. We are spending time with people when we introduce them. So, we will be bringing back other [canon characters]. But, as far as when and the specifics of all of that…When we get them, we want to spend time with them and really do a deep dive on why they are in the episode or in the arc or whatever we do with them."

Geeee, I hope its not Captain PIke or Mr Spock, but I know it will be them LOL

Gus

I don’t think it’ll be Spock; at least not this early.  Although Spock, Pike, Number One and the entire “The Cage”-era USS Enterprise do work together with the USS Shenzou crew in a joint operation in David Mack’s new novel, “Desperate Hours” (which takes place a year before DSC and is a decent read).   My guess is that they’re talking about Amanda Grayson since she’s already been cast. 

15 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t think it’ll be Spock; at least not this early.  Although Spock, Pike, Number One and the entire “The Cage”-era USS Enterprise do work together with the USS Shenzou crew in a joint operation in David Mack’s new novel, “Desperate Hours” (which takes place a year before DSC and is a decent read).   My guess is that they’re talking about Amanda Grayson since she’s already been cast. 

I have to find the article, but I think it was Goldsman who said at NYCC you were never going to see Spock.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

I have to find the article, but I think it was Goldsman who said at NYCC you were never going to see Spock.

And I’d be okay with that. 

We have Sarek and we’ll have Amanda in S2.   That’s enough.  If you want Spock?  There’s 79 TOS episodes, 2 TNGs, and 9 TOS/Bad Robot movies with that character. 

Don’t get me wrong; Spock is my favorite character.   But I also recognize that we can infer Spock from the shadow he casts; we don’t always have to see him front-and-center. 

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I’d be okay with that. 

We have Sarek and we’ll have Amanda in S2.   That’s enough.  If you want Spock?  There’s 79 TOS episodes, 2 TNGs, and 9 TOS/Bad Robot movies with that character. 

I just don't see any reason to do it beyond, "Hey, look! STUNT!!"

I'd actually argue that Spock is the most sensible "cameo" out of anyone from TOS considering his Burnham is his father's ward. Not much to gain from Scotty running into Burnham to be blunt.

I think seeing a younger Pike might be really cool too. I like both incarnations of the character.

I'd be very cool with Pike showing up.

As to what the show may hold in the future, I'm kind of getting the vibe that Lorca might not actually be captain by S2.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'd be very cool with Pike showing up.

As to what the show may hold in the future, I'm kind of getting the vibe that Lorca might not actually be captain by S2.

I think that’s part of Michael’s arc.

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think that’s part of Michael’s arc.

Even Lorca styles himself as a wartime captain. Add that to what will most likely be his lack of problem with holding a creature against its will and torturing it for his Spore Drive, it certainly looks like we'll be setting up for Captain Saru.

Come on Gus, your like a supporter of a football team that has just got relegated and now you are not going anymore.....

After a few dodgy episodes and films you have given Trek up. 

11 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Even Lorca styles himself as a wartime captain. Add that to what will most likely be his lack of problem with holding a creature against its will and torturing it for his Spore Drive, it certainly looks like we'll be setting up for Captain Saru.

Captain Saru.

Oh, I don't like him that much.

1 minute ago, Mike Thompson said:

Come on Gus, your like a supporter of a football team that has just got relegated and now you are not going anymore.....

Captain Saru.

Oh, I don't like him that much.

Hmm...I like him pretty well as it is, and I suspect better once he and Burnam bury the hatchet.

11 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Well Mike, I haven't watched an episode yet, and am not sure if or when I'm inclined to change my mind on the matter.

STD may well be a compelling science fiction show, but I am having a hard time reconciling it as part of the franchise that I know and love.

Unlike some fans who haven't done their due diligence, I *know* (as well as anyone can outside of the production staff) why STD looks and feels the way that it does. I also understand that this is a business (with financial stakes, legal obligations, and accountability to the folks who actually owns the IP) first and foremost.

Rather than spend a lot of time lamenting the lost opportunities for the Star Trek brand, I am personally working on a great Trek project for the fans, the Adam Nimoy DS9 docu, as a researcher.

For now, we have The Orville to watch on terrestrial television, and The Last Jedi to look forward to this Christmas.

Gus

Gus, I doubt you'd like the show. It's very much NOT like the Trek you like (if Lorca hadn't come along and if they hadn't decided to mix in horror elements I'd have stopped bothering with it by now, not because of disappointment but because it would just have been another super dark sci-fi show to me and I don't watch sci-fi unless it provides me with a REALLY good reason to do so). It would most likely just disappoint you further, and you're right to focus on something NICE instead. You can always catch a glimpse of it at some later point when you feel up to it, and if you don't want to do that either, no harm done there either.  :)

33 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Gus, I doubt you'd like the show. It's very much NOT like the Trek you like (if Lorca hadn't come along and if they hadn't decided to mix in horror elements I'd have stopped bothering with it by now, not because of disappointment but because it would just have been another super dark sci-fi show to me and I don't watch sci-fi unless it provides me with a REALLY good reason to do so). It would most likely just disappoint you further, and you're right to focus on something NICE instead. You can always catch a glimpse of it at some later point when you feel up to it, and if you don't want to do that either, no harm done there either.  :)

Exactly. I love the utopian future of TOS and TNG. A darker, war time STAR TREK series that is reimagining that peaceful future is not for me. I dont know about this Lorca characters, but as  a HUGE Kirk and Picard fan, I dont doubt it. Working on the DS9 docu has been a pleasure.

Gus

3 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Exactly. I love the utopian future of TOS and TNG. A darker, war time STAR TREK series that is reimagining that peaceful future is not for me. I dont know about this Lorca characters, but as  a HUGE Kirk and Picard fan, I dont doubt it. Working on the DS9 docu has been a pleasure.

Gus

I don't think you'd like Lorca, Gus. He's a warmonger, manipulator and just overall super shady, in many ways the exact and polar OPPOSITE of Jean-Luc in particular - he behaves very much like a Mirror Universe captain. I love that they made such a character the captain because he speaks to a side of mine that no captain has ever spoken to before but it really goes very much and totally against Trek's previous captains. (You WOULD probably like Captain Georgiou, though. She gave off ALL the Jean-Luc Picard vibes.) Quite a few "old school Trek fans" are very much up in arms against Lorca because they feel he doesn't "represent the good of humanity".

I love the utopian future of TNG in particular as well, which is why I don't care for DS9, which is too dark for my 24th century taste and no thanks, I like to think of my TNG future as the future I want to absolutely live in without having to worry about the same stuff I have to worry about in today's time. But, in the TOS era, I don't mind darkness, mostly because TOS isn't really important to me in the first place. I can see why a TOS fan would mind darkness, though - same reason why I mind darkness in my TNG future.

IF however... IF Discovery changes into something more "likable" for those who have been disappointed with Trek for a long time and think it has lost itself somewhere, I'm sure you'll hear it here first, Gus. :)

Having seen 4 episodes now, yes, I agree with Mr. Picard, Gus; don’t see DSC.    If you don’t want your ST to be challenging or different, then you surely wouldn’t like this interpretation.  I’m not saying that to be critical; quite the opposite, in fact.   I’m saying that because you’ve made clear those qualities you seek in ST and this series doesn’t have those qualities yet.   It’s a painfully slow, arcing progression towards the light... perhaps too slow for those ST fans who’d simply prefer to flip a light switch. 

For those who need their immediate future-optimism fix?  ST DSC isn’t it.

scenario   
4 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Thanks, folks. I will keep that in mind. Much appreciated.

The heart loves what the heart loves.

Gus

Gus

Your one of the people who have a good reason for not being interested in the new Star Trek. ST has changed because it has to to survive but you want the same old ST, which I believe we can all respect. I liked the old ST's optimistic with outbeing Pollyanna optimistic as well. But unlike you I also like the more gritty but still optimistic type of show when it's the darkness before the light type of thing. 

With ST I always viewed it that Earth had solved most of its major problems. Famine, disease, prejudice, etc. were all gone but the galaxy was still a dangerous place. But all humans aren't the same. There are a few bad apples in every bunch. Especially one's raised in Earth's colonies that aren't as perfect as the Earth is. So I've always felt that ST has a place for some darker episodes as long as the optimism is still there. 

There's a difference between someone like Gus who say's I know what I want in ST and this isn't it and someone who demands a straight up clone of TOS except that they must change a couple of thing that are core to the series. Of course, each person wants different things to change and believes that he and only he is the arbitrator of what ST really is. 

Gus is still a true fan even if he has burned out on ST. I'm not so sure about the people who demand that ST totally change its core values to match some vague vision of what they think it should be.

47 minutes ago, scenario said:

Gus

Your one of the people who have a good reason for not being interested in the new Star Trek. ST has changed because it has to to survive but you want the same old ST, which I believe we can all respect. I liked the old ST's optimistic with outbeing Pollyanna optimistic as well. But unlike you I also like the more gritty but still optimistic type of show when it's the darkness before the light type of thing. 

With ST I always viewed it that Earth had solved most of its major problems. Famine, disease, prejudice, etc. were all gone but the galaxy was still a dangerous place. But all humans aren't the same. There are a few bad apples in every bunch. Especially one's raised in Earth's colonies that aren't as perfect as the Earth is. So I've always felt that ST has a place for some darker episodes as long as the optimism is still there. 

There's a difference between someone like Gus who say's I know what I want in ST and this isn't it and someone who demands a straight up clone of TOS except that they must change a couple of thing that are core to the series. Of course, each person wants different things to change and believes that he and only he is the arbitrator of what ST really is. 

Gus is still a true fan even if he has burned out on ST. I'm not so sure about the people who demand that ST totally change its core values to match some vague vision of what they think it should be.

Fans aren’t simply people who mindlessly wolf down any new thing with the ST label slapped on it.    There are discriminating fans.  I gave up on VGR and ENT in their 5,6th and 3rd seasons respectively; not because I suddenly hated all things ST; it was because I was tired of being disappointed week-to-week.   I’ve since seen all of those VGR/ENT episodes I’d missed in reruns or on Netflix, and while I’ve come to appreciate them now?   At the time I wasn’t as receptive to them.

Maybe (just maybe) there will be a time when our Gus might feel the need to try something a little different.   ;)

If he doesn’t?  It’s his choice and his prerogative.   NO ONE has the right to accuse one fan of not being ‘fan enough.’  

Even if a fan only likes VGR, they’re still a part of the greater ST fan community.   IDIC is a real thing. 

scenario   
2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Fans aren’t simply people who mindlessly wolf down any new thing with the ST label slapped on it.    There are discriminating fans.  I gave up on VGR and ENT in their 5,6th and 3rd seasons respectively; not because I suddenly hated all things ST; it was because I was tired of being disappointed week-to-week.   I’ve since seen all of those VGR/ENT episodes I’d missed in reruns or on Netflix, and while I’ve come to appreciate them now?   At the time I wasn’t as receptive to them.

Maybe (just maybe) there will be a time when our Gus might feel the need to try something a little different.   ;)

If he doesn’t?  It’s his choice and his prerogative.   NO ONE has the right to accuse one fan of not being ‘fan enough.’  

Even if a fan only likes VGR, they’re still a part of the greater ST fan community.   IDIC is a real thing. 

I agree with you that fans aren't people that mindlessly wolf down anything with ST written on it. But in the comments section of other sites I've read hundreds of comments that ST has always been (sexist, racist, etc.) and people who are calling themselves fans are demanding that the cast should be all white straight males who go around the galaxy killing people who aren't like them. I've read people say that if Kirk was around he would have killed all the gay people as soon as he met them. Comments like that have nothing to do with the core values of ST. People can say they like ST but if they cannot describe what happened in a single episode of any of the series and what they describe has nothing to do with any real episodes, they may call themselves ST fans but they are not. 

Gus has a firm grasp of what he likes in ST that is based in reality. I've read posts on other sites that describe ST in a way that doesn't even come close to reality. 

Thank you for the kind words and support, guys. Thank you, scenario, Sehlat, Mr.Picard. Thank you so much.

I love this place.

Gus