GustavoLeao

Discovery and Me

24 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:
Star Trek Discovery Reviews Banned by CBS, Is It DOA?

You already got beat to that one, too, Gus. You're slippin', man. :)

And the EW version pretty much lays out why the embargo doesn't mean much at this point. 

Edited by prometheus59650

26 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

You already got beat to that one, too, Gus. You're slippin', man. :)

And the EW version pretty much lays out why the embargo doesn't mean much at this point. 

It’s not uncommon for certain movies/TV shows to not pre-screen.   This is another hyperbolic story about nothing...

29 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s not uncommon for certain movies/TV shows to not pre-screen.   This is another hyperbolic story about nothing...

If I were running CBS,  wouldn't either for a lot of reasons.

Aesir   

I've decided to watch the premier and the first few episodes. I'm not thrilled about the design and plotline choices but hopefully once things are explained I will be surprised. BUT if it turns out to be anything like my initial reaction to the show I'm dropping it.

7 hours ago, Aesir said:

I've decided to watch the premier and the first few episodes. I'm not thrilled about the design and plotline choices but hopefully once things are explained I will be surprised. BUT if it turns out to be anything like my initial reaction to the show I'm dropping it.

To paraphrase John and Yoko, "All we are say-ying is give Trek a cha-a-a-ance..." :P

From THE THOLIAN WEB one of my favorite third season TOS episodes :

CHEKOV: Has there ever been a mutiny on a starship before?
SPOCK: Absolutely no record of such an occurrence, Ensign.
MCCOY: Jim. The Captain's neck is broken.

Hey, Spock, what about your sister, your green blooded vulcan ???? LOL

(Sorry, I had to post this just for fun........BTW, Here are rare outtakes from a 1966 publicity shoot featuring Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney in the Enterprise transporter room set. Photographer unknown )

22222020_10214596635288780_6463114815812

22140894_10214596641288930_7103012128079

22154320_10214596644809018_5992155972704

Good night, boa noite !

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

52 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Hey, Spock, what about your sister, your green blooded vulcan ???? LOL

Well, in fairness, he never mentioned his brother either.  :laugh:

Sarek also identifies Burnham as his ward; not his adopted/foster daughter.  

52 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

CHEKOV: Has there ever been a mutiny on a starship before?
SPOCK: Absolutely no record of such an occurrence, Ensign.

**** SPOILER FOR DSC ****

One can be mutinous without technically leading a mutiny; so Spock’s observation is still accurate, since none of the USS Shenzhou's crew followed Burnham INTO mutiny.   So, there was a lone mutineer aboard the USS Shenzhou, but no ship-wide mutiny.

And I’m guessing  Burnham’s former sentence will be overturned at some future date, and the mutiny charge is removed from her record (?).    Hence, Starfleet’s official record and accounting of her actions will be changed at some future date.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Well, in fairness, he never mentioned his brother either.  :laugh:

Sarek also identifies Burnham as his ward; not his adopted/foster daughter.  

Spock didn't even mention to Kirk who his PARENTS were until they all stood awkwardly in the shuttle bay.

Some foster child he was raised with? I can see it.

22 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Spock didn't even mention to Kirk who his PARENTS were until they all stood awkwardly in the shuttle bay.

Some foster child he was raised with? I can see it.

That’s true.

He also failed to mention that T’Pau was in his family as well; and suffice it to say, she was well-known to off-worlders.

Spock can be, in the words of McCoy, as light-lipped as an Aldebaran shell mouth. 

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

That’s true.

He also failed to mention that T’Pau was in his family as well; and suffice it to say, she was well-known to off-worlders.

Spock can be, in the words of McCoy, as light-lipped as an Aldebaran shell mouth. 

He can. I think a lot of this, "Oh, come ON." comes from the fact that WE knew Spock before the Burnam revelation, in some cases, for our entire lives.

Step back and look at the character and his evolution though? Burnam works.

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

He can. I think a lot of this, "Oh, come ON." comes from the fact that WE knew Spock before the Burnam revelation, in some cases, for our entire lives.

Step back and look at the character and his evolution though? Burnam works.

There is nothing in canon that contradicts Sarek having a human ward as well.  It would also explain Spock’s penchant for humanity, despite his outward disdain.   He voluntarily serves in a human-dominant Starfleet.  It’s not a stretch to assume that there was another influence in that decision besides Amanda...

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There is nothing in canon that contradicts Sarek having a human ward as well.  It would also explain Spock’s penchant for humanity, despite his outward disdain.   He voluntarily serves in a human-dominant Starfleet.  It’s not a stretch to assume that there was another influence in that decision besides Amanda...

And it occurs to me as I think of it  perhaps we're looking at a bit of a mirror journey for Michael. As, "The Cage" Spock was decidedly more...openly in touch with his feelings and embraces his Vulcan side as Time passed, perhaps Burnam, who started out cool, logical and certain to a fault, will find a path to her more human side.

Good catch from Tholian Web, but I also buy Vie's explanation. Context is ... what type of mutiny was being discussed in that episode. 

As for Spock and Burnham, spoilers for the series finale... but it would not surprise me if Burnham is "disappeared" by the end of the series. Like she becomes one of those officers wearing the black badges. She goes undercover, special ops, instead of continuing a normal Starfleet career. This would explain why we've never head of her before.

For the record, I think the "we've never heard of this before" complaint is not persuasive at all. It's a big universe, and while there is a lot of filmed Trek, established canon is a very small window into that universe. All pervasive things like the mushroom-warp technology would clearly fit with that complaint, but individual characters and alien races, not at all.      

Wel, I cant judge that, I am not watching DISCOVERY, I only know there was a munity from reading your guys reviews and comments.

But it interesting, nevertheless.

Gus

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Wel, I cant judge that, I am not watching DISCOVERY, I only know there was a munity from reading your guys reviews and comments.

But it interesting, nevertheless.

Gus

As the last episode’s title reminds us, it’s all about “Context”...;)

A single mutineer does not a mutiny make.   A mutiny by Chekov & Spock’s definition would be a sizable portion of the crew rising against their captain.  Technically that didn’t happen on the Shenzou.  Only one person defied Capt. Georgiou and she was promptly stopped.  

Come to think of it,  mutinous behavior has happened a few times on TOS before the Tholian web.  Kirk’s evil doppelgänger in “Enemy Within” was technically a lone ‘mutineer’ (disregarding the orders of his other half).  Kevin Riley’s commandeering the engine room in “The Naked Time” and turning off the engines was (by many definitions) a mutinous act (however intoxicated he was), and there was, of course, the full-scale mutiny of the entire crew in “This Side of Paradise” (“This is mutiny, mister!”  “Yes sir, it is.”).   

So technically, there HAD been a mutiny on a starship before... and it was aboard the USS Enterprise herself.

scenario   

i don't know if this has been discussed much in other Disc threads, I haven't watched much of the show yet. I will but money's tight.

According to google, Spock was born in 2230, TOS was set around 2265 and Disc around 2255. If Michael was around 35 at the time of the start of Disc she was born around 2220 so she's around 10 years older than Spock. If she was sent to a boarding school in her early teens, she would have left home when Spock was 3 or 4.  She is officially Sarek's ward, so kind of like a foster child. I can see someone not mentioning that their parents had a foster child living in their house that left when he was very young. 

6 hours ago, scenario said:

i don't know if this has been discussed much in other Disc threads, I haven't watched much of the show yet. I will but money's tight.

According to google, Spock was born in 2230, TOS was set around 2265 and Disc around 2255. If Michael was around 35 at the time of the start of Disc she was born around 2220 so she's around 10 years older than Spock. If she was sent to a boarding school in her early teens, she would have left home when Spock was 3 or 4.  She is officially Sarek's ward, so kind of like a foster child. I can see someone not mentioning that their parents had a foster child living in their house that left when he was very young. 

Actually she's only a few years older than Spock according to the David Mack novel, "Desperate Hours"; more like 5 or 6 years, making the character more like 30 than 35.  The actress is only 32 according to IMDB, so it works.

And given how tight-lipped Spock was about his parents (his captain didn't even KNOW that the ambassador to Vulcan was his dad, and that T'Pau was his...something?), a hidden foster sister (or father's ward) makes sense to me.  Kirk's learning of his best friend's family is a bit like your best friend finding out years later that your mother was First Lady.  And we won't even go into his half-brother...

scenario   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Actually she's only a few years older than Spock according to the David Mack novel, "Desperate Hours"; more like 5 or 6 years, making the character more like 30 than 35.  The actress is only 32 according to IMDB, so it works.

And given how tight-lipped Spock was about his parents (his captain didn't even KNOW that the ambassador to Vulcan was his dad, and that T'Pau was his...something?), a hidden foster sister (or father's ward) makes sense to me.  Kirk's learning of his best friend's family is a bit like your best friend finding out years later that your mother was First Lady.  And we won't even go into his half-brother...

I don't even think of Michael as a hidden foster sister. Even 5 years difference in age can make a big difference. She human, he's half human. I can easily see a situation where they didn't have all that much contact even if they lived in the same house. If she moved out when she's 18, it's possible Spock had had little contact with her in close to 30 years by the time TOS started. 

When would a foster sister you weren't close to and had little contact with in thirty years come up in conversation? There's probably little or no legal relationship between them 

Pride is an emotion. Bragging about T'Pau wouldn't fit with Spock's personality. She was never officially a member of Star Fleet so it wouldn't be something that would be likely to just come up in conversation. 

"Your pain runs deep."
"What do you know of my pain?"
"Let us explore it ...together. ...Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. ...Share your pain with me and gain strength from it."

22228232_10214630630658643_6672546946902

I think thats how i feel about the DISCOVERY reimagining. Its painful.

Gus

8 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

"Your pain runs deep."
"What do you know of my pain?"
"Let us explore it ...together. ...Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. ...Share your pain with me and gain strength from it."

22228232_10214630630658643_6672546946902

I think thats how i feel about the DISCOVERY reimagining. Its painful.

Gus

I only have deep pain when I watch Into Darkness or Insurrection. :laugh:

You can argue that STID is bad, but...if you think it's bad...it's just bad.

"Insurrection" makes me squirm because I'm embarrassed for the actors.

4 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

You can argue that STID is bad, but...if you think it's bad...it's just bad.

"Insurrection" makes me squirm because I'm embarrassed for the actors.

INS remains firmly at the very bottom of my ST movies’ list.