Sign in to follow this  
barwars

Hello from the UK

barwars   

Greetings all,

Long time Trek fan and reader of TrekCore from the UK.

With a new Star Trek series finally about to dock I felt it was time to find somewhere to engage with other fans about the highs, lows and excitement of meeting a new crew.

I'm from the UK so I'm a huge fan of Red Dwarf and Doctor Who however, Trek was my first science fiction love. I remember being captivated by a TV show sometime in the mid-80s featuring strange men in some caves seemingly wearing their pyjamas while shooting lasers at a rock monster. Older, wiser me realises I must have caught a rerun of The Devil in the Dark but 6-year-old-me was transfixed. 

A few fleeting glances later it wasn't until the BBC ran TNG that I was hooked. The golden years of 90s Trek ran parallel with my teens and I feel it is that deep love of Trek growing up that has moulded me into the open-minded person I am today with only The Simpsons having equal influence in forming my cynical sense of humour. ;)

In recent years I've turned to the Trekcast, Shuttlepod & Engage podcasts to get my fix but I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and celebrating a new era of Star Trek with Discovery through these forums!

Boldly go.

4 minutes ago, barwars said:

Greetings all,

Long time Trek fan and reader of TrekCore from the UK.

With a new Star Trek series finally about to dock I felt it was time to find somewhere to engage with other fans about the highs, lows and excitement of meeting a new crew.

I'm from the UK so I'm a huge fan of Red Dwarf and Doctor Who however, Trek was my first science fiction love. I remember being captivated by a TV show sometime in the mid-80s featuring strange men in some caves seemingly wearing their pyjamas while shooting lasers at a rock monster. Older, wiser me realises I must have caught a rerun of The Devil in the Dark but 6-year-old-me was transfixed. 

A few fleeting glances later it wasn't until the BBC ran TNG that I was hooked. The golden years of 90s Trek ran parallel with my teens and I feel it is that deep love of Trek growing up that has moulded me into the open-minded person I am today with only The Simpsons having equal influence in forming my cynical sense of humour. ;)

In recent years I've turned to the Trekcast, Shuttlepod & Engage podcasts to get my fix but I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and celebrating a new era of Star Trek with Discovery through these forums!

Boldly go.

Welcome aboard Barwars (hehe...love the monicker!)

Post often and prosper!

I think you'll find a lot of Doctor Who fans here as well (myself very much among them).  Enjoy! ;)

barwars   
1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Welcome aboard Barwars (hehe...love the monicker!)

Post often and prosper!

I think you'll find a lot of Doctor Who fans here as well (myself very much among them).  Enjoy! ;)

Thank you for the welcome!

Sim   

Hi barwars, nice to meet you! :)

If I may ask, which ST series do you like most and which least?

Looking forward to reading from you! :laugh:

barwars   
3 hours ago, Sim said:

Hi barwars, nice to meet you! :)

If I may ask, which ST series do you like most and which least?

Looking forward to reading from you! :laugh:

Hi Sim. Thanks for the welcome.

I've got to be honest I can't answer that question right now. A few years ago I would have told you that I adore Voyager and that Enterprise was my least favourite. Last year I started a massive re-watch of Star Trek - in stardate order to celebrate the 50th. (It's slow going, I'm only on TNG so far) So I had to do Enterprise first - much of which I hadn't revisited since it's initial broadcast.

Do you know what?

I loved it. It has aged so well. I loathed it 10 years ago but on rewatching I grew to really root for Archer and the crew. It just seemed to make more sense now. On the flipside I've caught a few episodes of Voyager on Syfy recently and wow. That has not aged so well.

I feel like I'm reevaluating Trek right now. I love it, always will, but whereas TNG & Voy were my gotos I'm most looking forward to DS9 on my rewatch.

Of course the simplicity and originality of TOS - especially the first season - will always shine through!

Barwars, I've grown to like ENT a lot better in recent years as well. It's the only Trek series besides TNG that I put in to watch these days (although, of course, not as obsessively as TNG, haha). I can therefore relate very much to what you're saying!

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Barwars, I've grown to like ENT a lot better in recent years as well. It's the only Trek series besides TNG that I put in to watch these days (although, of course, not as obsessively as TNG, haha). I can therefore relate very much to what you're saying!

I actually 'broke up' with ENT during its third season, and only came back during the 4th.   But I re-watched ENT S3 on Netflix a while back, and I'd realized there were a lot of gems in there.  It definitely gets better with time + reevaluation. 

barwars   

In a strange way Enterprise feels more relevant to the here and now in much the same way TOS echoed the cold war feeling of the 60s. 

I know season 3 was a deliberate response to 9|11 but it seems to fit in better with the stance on terrorism in the 2010s.

The chemistry between Archer & T'Pol is wonderful too. She is an underrated gem in the Star Trek universe.

Sim   
5 hours ago, barwars said:

Hi Sim. Thanks for the welcome.

I've got to be honest I can't answer that question right now. A few years ago I would have told you that I adore Voyager and that Enterprise was my least favourite. Last year I started a massive re-watch of Star Trek - in stardate order to celebrate the 50th. (It's slow going, I'm only on TNG so far) So I had to do Enterprise first - much of which I hadn't revisited since it's initial broadcast.

Do you know what?

I loved it. It has aged so well. I loathed it 10 years ago but on rewatching I grew to really root for Archer and the crew. It just seemed to make more sense now. On the flipside I've caught a few episodes of Voyager on Syfy recently and wow. That has not aged so well.

I feel like I'm reevaluating Trek right now. I love it, always will, but whereas TNG & Voy were my gotos I'm most looking forward to DS9 on my rewatch.

Of course the simplicity and originality of TOS - especially the first season - will always shine through!

I kind of envy you, that you still have it ahead of you to rewatch all the great stuff for the first time in ages! :)

And yeah, I do like ENT, even did so 15 years ago, even though it's IMO more uneven than TNG or DS9 ... but it's got much more relatable characters than VOY, IMO. Season 4 was even outstanding... but then, I'm a huge TOS fan too, so I'm not sure if the nods and fan service in ENT season 4 is just as appealing for people who don't have such a nostalgic attachment to TOS.

For me, the absolute favorites still are TOS, TNG and DS9 -- I can't decide which I like more, as I love them all, and there are times when I'm more into one of them, other times when that changes. IMO, each of these shows took its heritage from the previous shows and took it one step further.

But VOY was a step back IMO... while DS9 perfected serialization and character growth, VOY featured next to no character development (in fact, you can watch most episodes in a random order and it wouldn't make a difference) and wasted so many opportunities -- and I just don't care about the characters, because no matter what happens to them, it will have no consequences whatsoever, and there will be a reset button the moment the end credits roll off. I didn't really like it back then, although I tried hard, and still don't like it much better today (though I think the "inofficial" relaunch novels by Christie Golden and Kisten Beyer are pretty good, and finally redeem the characters).

ENT was a bit better, insofar I liked the characters more, and they at least had a memory... and by season 4, it was brilliant. To bad it was cancelled just then. :(