Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sehlat Vie

First Trailer for Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek spoof, "The Orville"...

10 posts in this topic

I don't expect it to last and that looks like a shame. I chuckled several times. Looks like fun.

35 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-seth-macfarlanes-star-trek-spoof-1795237662

^ Airing later this year on Fox.   Looks cute.   Kind of like a straight Galaxy Quest series (even the ship looks like GQ's NEA Protector), but minus the meta, show-within-real-life aspect.  

Caught this on the Fox Upfronts (as I work at a Fox affiliate and we were recording it in the very room I work), and while I too saw a bit of Galaxy Quest in there, I have to say I wish the trailer made me laugh more.  MacFarlane rarely makes me laugh, and I find most of his cartoons to be really awful and annoying...but seeing that it was clearly a bit of a TNG parody and knowing what a huge fan he is...I thought I might give it a shot. The trailer really didn't get me laughing too much though, a few chuckles here and there but I have a feeling the joke would run thin quickly (and I can see the premise of the first officer being his ex-wife a mile away...I just see all the possible comedy avenues that could take and they all feel generic). 

I want to like a slick sci-fi/comedy, but I have a feeling that this one won't land in the funny department for me...and I expect it won't grab too big of an audience being a fairly niche genre parodying a series that has been off the air for nearly 25 years...and it looks like a fairly expensive program for a comedy...doubt it will go too far on Fox. 

4 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I don't expect it to last and that looks like a shame. I chuckled several times. Looks like fun.

I don't expect it to last either, but it looks like a decent little sendup of Star Trek (and the genre itself).

I don't have any illusions of it being the end-all of science fiction comedy, but I'll certainly watch the pilot.    Hell, who knows?  It might out-Star Trek  ST DSC...:laugh:

Judging from the reactions I see on Twitter, I seem to be the only person who DOESN'T find this funny in ANY way. I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan but some of his stuff usually does make me laugh - but not this, all this did was make me cringe/want to switch it off. I guess it's not my kind of humor.

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Judging from the reactions I see on Twitter, I seem to be the only person who DOESN'T find this funny in ANY way. I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan but some of his stuff usually does make me laugh - but not this, all this did was make me cringe/want to switch it off. I guess it's not my kind of humor.

Not a big fan of MacFarlane's cartoons ("Family Guy" & "American Dad" do less than nothing for me), but ever since Galaxy Quest, I've always felt the entertainment landscape really needed another good, solid, space opera parody.    The trailer isn't really all that and a bag of chips... yet.  But there is some potential.  The look and 'feel' of the ST universe are fairly accurate.   Juvenile maybe, but potentially clever if they mine it for all it's worth.  

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Not a big fan of MacFarlane's cartoons ("Family Guy" & "American Dad" do less than nothing for me), but ever since Galaxy Quest, I've always felt the entertainment landscape really needed another good, solid, space opera parody.    The trailer isn't really all that and a bag of chips... yet.  But there is some potential.  The look and 'feel' of the ST universe are fairly accurate.   Juvenile maybe, but potentially clever if they mine it for all it's worth.  

I love Galaxy Quest, but this trailer just screamed "unfunny fanboy jokes" at me. Maybe it does nothing for me because I'm not a Trekkie, but then, Galaxy Quest is a personal favorite of mine so it can't really be that. Hmm.

Posted (edited)

I will take just about any Star Trek parody, and I write and produce them for free, but this trailer is just meh. I didn't laugh once. Sometimes I do with his other stuff, like Family Guy and American Dad, but this is going to last maybe 5 episodes, if that.

It's basically a riff on Modern Family, not one of his shows, and has some of Everybody Loves Raymond (a show to which I said, Not everybody, don't tell me everybody loves your show, because some people want to have an opinion. Lol!),

I don't think they were trying to appease the fans on this board that want some kind of trans character (the all male Klingon like race being more a stereotype, angry sort of guy than a happy go lucky guy). The were just making juvenile and puerile jokes. The show makers aren't reading TrekCore.

Still I could probably come up with a decent episode script, but so could many of you, which would be funny.

So it has potential, but yet another bickering couple show? Really? The Big Bang Theory does that.

Agree with Mr. Picard. I only smiled a few times. Mostly as they lacked originality and told quips we already have seen.

They were not interested in being edgy but rather rehashing jokes told better on Galaxy Quest and old SNL sketches. It's probably going to be funny for ten minutes and then get really boring.

I did like the ship design though. Impractical but interesting, similar to the one in Passengers.     

Does the name refer to Orville Reddenbaucher popcorn? That would at least be a clever in joke. 

Also the Klingon like guy reminds me of Drax more than of Worf, from GotG, and come to think of that connection, the bantrer is also from Star Lord and Gamora. Hey, they're riffing the GotG too!      

Edited by Chimera82405

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I love Galaxy Quest, but this trailer just screamed "unfunny fanboy jokes" at me. Maybe it does nothing for me because I'm not a Trekkie, but then, Galaxy Quest is a personal favorite of mine so it can't really be that. Hmm.

Galaxy Quest is a total love letter to Star Trek (and its fandom).   I love that movie so much.  That said, I'm in no way expecting Orville to be anywhere near that clever.  But...then again, I'm still vaguely curious. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Galaxy Quest is a total love letter to Star Trek (and its fandom).   I love that movie so much.  That said, I'm in no way expecting Orville to be anywhere near that clever.  But...then again, I'm still vaguely curious. 

I'm just going to go with it. It doesn't look "painful," so, worst case, I might get a few giggles during the month it's on.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0