Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Chris Pine in Lost STAR TREK Episode.....Funny !!!

4 posts in this topic

'SNL' airs lost classic 'Star Trek' episode with Chris Pine

See what happens when Spock's half brother Spocko comes aboard the Enterprise to fix a mechanical issue and harass the crew, with Pine playing William Shatner's Capt. Kirk.

Aside from Pine hamming it up pleasantly, it was pretty cringe-worthy, but that's just me.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Aside from Pine hamming it up pleasantly, it was pretty cringe-worthy, but that's just me.

I saw it this morning on YouTube over breakfast; almost lost my breakfast. 

The whole Brooklyn Spocko joke got old about 3 milliseconds after it was introduced...

Almost all of the jokes were terrible, and while a lot of the costuming worked, Spock almost looks worse than Spocko... all that said, for the moment at the beginning where they're playing a bit straight, before Spocko shows up, they at least seem like they know what they're doing. It didn't quite give me the 'we only know Star Trek from those jokes on SNL' vibe that some of the parodies today give me, and that's coming from someone who grew up with many of those. Certainly it was nice to hear a reference to the Romulans instead of the more obvious Klingons, or worse, a TNG villain.

I actually think it's important to see how 'well' that Chris Pine seems to pull off the ShatnerKirk vibe here - he's obviously hamming up the imitation for the sake of the parody, and it's all pretty fair within reason, but it feels a little deeper than that - the posture and seeing him on the classic set. It makes me feel like we could see Pine playing a young Prime Kirk, not Kelvin timeline Kirk, and that he could pull it off, if he just dials some of this back.

Also, I'm certainly glad they didn't forget Chekov or Sulu, as some parodies do, but no McCoy? Boo.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0