GustavoLeao

Shatner Ready to Play Kirk Again

He could float away on all of the respect he has; I respect him, but I don't worship him.  ;)

Locutus   

Star Trek 4 is already a Pine/Hemsworth team-up.  He's dead in the Prime-verse ....

I've got it!  Bill could direct Star Trek 5 as a Pine/Shatner team-up.  To hell with it!

kirk-whee.gif

I love Bill Shatner, the same way I loved Leonard Nimoy, the same way I loved De Kelley, but I dont worship him.

I just think the guy needs more respect as an actor and  a director than he usually (dont) get.

I dont wanna him in a Prime movie or another JJ TREK movie. This will never happen, and thats okay.

I love the 7 movies Shatner appeared - with a passion, from THE MOTION PICTURE to GENERATIONS, I love them all.

And thats fine. Life goes on and he has some incredible projects coming in 2017. Stay tuned.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

It's possible to respect Shatner as an actor - which I believe most folks here do, even though most are against him showing up as Kirk again no one denies that Kirk is an essential part of Star Trek and that Shatner made him work, regardless of whether he's a brilliant actor or not - but otherwise not so much. From the crap he spreads on Twitter on a regular basis these days the "respect" I'm willing to give Shatner as a person is stretched pretty thin by now. (I realize that his Twitter is probably not run by him, given that many of the tweets sound like as if a 15-year-old wrote them, but even so, it's run by someone who is endorsed by him and that's just as bad, sorry.)

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I love Bill Shatner, the same way I loved Leonard Nimoy, the same way I loved De Kelley, but I dont worship him.

I just think the guy needs more respect as an actor and  a director than he usually (dont) get.

I dont wanna him in a Prime movie or another JJ TREK movie. This will never happen, and thats okay.

I love the 7 movies Shatner appeared - with a passion, from THE MOTION PICTURE to GENERATIONS, I love them all.

And thats fine. Life goes on and he has some incredible projects coming in 2017. Stay tuned.

Gus

Oh, and I'm not saying you do worship him; I was just clarifying that I personally don't, that's all.

I admire him for playing Capt. Kirk, but those days are over.  

I just feel a bit saddened that he didn't seem to put it all behind him with GEN, that's all.  I thought GEN was a terrific passing-of-the-baton from Kirk to 'the next generation'; and of all the TOS cast members, I'd say he probably least needs the extra paycheck.  

I admire how Patrick Stewart has handled his post-TNG career; he looks back on those days with fondness, and he still does conventions, but he's no longer actively trying to wiggle his way back into Star Trek; he recognizes that chapter of his life is behind him, and he's gotten on with new challenges ("Logan" for example; maybe Shatner could do a real drama now...?  Dust off his old acting chops?).

I know Shatner is doing other things in his life as well (the horses, comedy stuff, podcasts, etc) but his continuous lobbying to get back into Star Trek feel a bit... er, pathetic at this point.   He doesn't NEED this, and frankly neither do we (the audience).  

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I know Shatner is doing other things in his life as well (the horses, comedy stuff, podcasts, etc) but his continuous lobbying to get back into Star Trek feel a bit... er, pathetic at this point.   He doesn't NEED this, and frankly neither do we (the audience).  

I totally agree. But Shatner never reaklly left the character of Kirk go. He plotted his Shatnerverse novels (scripted by the Reevens-Stevens, of course0 featuring the return of KIrk in the 24th Century. He pitched a series idea to Paramount after ENT was canceleld. I dont think the question is money and so forth. I think he truly loves Kirk. But yeah, at this point is kinda tired concept (not pathetic) and i think he should continue to do his own projects, which are more interesting than STAR TREK at this point, anyway.

Gus

C.Lovett   

Me when I saw the title of this post > Image result for oh no gif

But yeah it's gotten to where I think he could only voice kirk now, (Really wish he would voice in Star Trek Online)

9 hours ago, C.Lovett said:

Me when I saw the title of this post > Image result for oh no gif

You nailed my own reaction with that GIF... :laugh:

JVM   

You know, I would absolutely love to see Shatner come back if there was a story possibility that made it work. There's ways - the Nexus remains pretty unexplained, there's always the Borg, and of course, we still have holograms. That's all without the much more plausible but far less satisfying time travel and alternate timeline plotlines. I'm trying to say that I think it could be done, essentially, and there would of course be ways to make it work for an emotional story, with Pine or someone else, but there's another problem - is the effort going to be worth it?

The real problem is there is undoubtedly a segment of the population who cares far more about ShatnerKirk than anything else about Star Trek, and they are the reason his willingness to come back keeps making the rounds. There's still a lot of mostly older fans for whom the man is Star Trek, and everything else is a pale imitation. I don't share that sentiment, but they need to be acknowledged. It's difficult to tell if they would jump back for a Shatner appearance in a new film. I certainly know fans of TOS who didn't see some of the TOS films. If this was something that we knew would reach a wider audience, maybe it could be worth it, but if we build it, will they come?

The other thing is my experience is most people who aren't in that slice of the fandom aren't especially interested in seeing him back. They moved on some years ago from the issue, and they've been happy to enjoy the adventures of the other dozens of members of Star Trek's cast. I don't think they need this, and if it didn't work, then it would be a waste of time for them, even a step-down, for undoing Star Trek Generations' most well-known flaw would probably shine a stronger light on what it did well for Kirk. I have also mentioned earlier my criticism of the focus on Kirk and Spock's relationship in Star Trek media, and feeling the franchise (well, mostly the PR / marketing dept) has been reluctant to develop it beyond its two most iconic characters.

Honestly though, I truly wish we had just gotten that cameo that was written for him for ST09. I think that would have been the perfect compromise. It's a very well-written piece and respects what came before, his existing contribution to the franchise, and the character's passing, passing the torch to the new cast without overshadowing them. We all know that Shatner asks for a nice sum and doesn't like cameos, but I do want to credit that it was never offered to him in the first place.

As for the question of respect, I find Shatner more fascinating as a person than Kirk as a character though, at this point - I respect his acting mentality, while I consider it out of date with the current industry, it's probably the same toolset that made him succeed back in the '60's. Acting was much more of a business and much less of a creative profession - you count your lines, and you're more often being paid for marquee value than talent. It's a little upsetting he hasn't drawn back on those habits, but they got him to where he was, so I imagine he sees no reason to change that. I think he understands some of the ways that big ideas influenced TOS' success in a way I'm not sure the franchise's later iterations did. For all of his ego problems, I do believe he genuinely cares about his fans, and I think his efforts with the documentaries have shown that he cares about Star Trek beyond himself. I can certainly respect him and his contributions.while still being critical of his flaws.

The long and short of my post: I would be completely open to it, but you would really, really need a strong story for it, and I worry more about whether such effort would pay the expected dividend than whether or not it could be done in the first place. Wish Shatner could've done a cameo when it was the best time, but respect him.

You gotta love when in the middle of the DVD special STAR TREK THE CAPTAINS SUNMIT (hoted by Whoopi Goldberg in 2009) Bill Shatner turn to Parcik Stewart and says "Patrick, you are my buddy and I love you, but I have never saw an episode of The Next Generation" LOL

Stewart and Jonathan Frakes were baffled and didnt know what to say when Leonard Nimoy said "Bill, you are my buddy and I love you, but you're lying. Hahahaha"

You gotta love these guys.