GustavoLeao

Shatner Ready to Play Kirk Again

37 posts in this topic

Oh god, no...

Can't he ... I dunno... officially retire already?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

 

Unless you're doing a Mirror thing and he's, too be blunt, old, bloated Emperor Tiberius, No.

It's Over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe in season 3 or 4 of Discovery in a time travel story that most of us don't want but know we're probably going to get anyway. Not in the movies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scenario said:

Maybe in season 3 or 4 of Discovery in a time travel story that most of us don't want but know we're probably going to get anyway. Not in the movies. 

His biggest problem is that they can't afford him. And that's sorta on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote Spock in This Side of Paradise: "Please DON'T!!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

His biggest problem is that they can't afford him. And that's sorta on him.

It's up to him. Does he want to play Kirk one last time or does he want one more big paycheck? I really don't want to see him in the movies. But once Discovery has proven that it can stand on its own, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a time travel episode as long as he doesn't take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scenario said:

It's up to him. Does he want to play Kirk one last time or does he want one more big paycheck? I really don't want to see him in the movies. But once Discovery has proven that it can stand on its own, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a time travel episode as long as he doesn't take over.

I think time travel and prequel are two concepts that really shouldn't exist alongside each other.  Time travel didn't work in ENT, and it took 2 episodes in the 4th (and arguably best) season to flush it all down the toilet. 

Besides, if DSC is truly set in the 'prime timeline' (and not the Kelvinverse) then Kirk can't be 86 years old, since he's dead on a mountaintop on Veridian 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think time travel and prequel are two concepts that really shouldn't exist alongside each other.  Time travel didn't work in ENT, and it took 2 episodes in the 4th (and arguably best) season to flush it all down the toilet. 

Besides, if DSC is truly set in the 'prime timeline' (and not the Kelvinverse) then Kirk can't be 86 years old, since he's dead on a mountaintop on Veridian 3.

This is science fiction, 86 year old Kirk could be a clone or an android or a younger Kirk with an aging disease. If you wanted him in, you could write a plot. I'd just as soon not bother but if they think it will bring in subscribers,I wouldn't stop watching the show just for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I wouldn't stop watching either, but that's different from 'want it' or 'good idea.'

29 minutes ago, scenario said:

It's up to him. Does he want to play Kirk one last time or does he want one more big paycheck? I really don't want to see him in the movies. But once Discovery has proven that it can stand on its own, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a time travel episode as long as he doesn't take over.

He wanted to be in '09 and it didn't work out, in part because he wanted a fat check. Same with Enterprise and I don't get it. It really isn't as if he needs the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scenario said:

This is science fiction, 86 year old Kirk could be a clone or an android or a younger Kirk with an aging disease. If you wanted him in, you could write a plot. I'd just as soon not bother but if they think it will bring in subscribers,I wouldn't stop watching the show just for this. 

I wouldn't stop watching the show, but I don't think it's doing the show any favors to give in to a star's vagaries either...

6 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

He wanted to be in '09 and it didn't work out, in part because he wanted a fat check. Same with Enterprise and I don't get it. It really isn't as if he needs the cash.

^
Yeah, I'd rather spend that money for the show on good writers, good actors and well-made sets and visuals, not for a high profile but useless cameo from an actor who seems to have trouble surrendering a 50 year old role...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a guy ! He's the man !

18300981_10213021695796277_1342740397390

 

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, I wouldn't stop watching either, but that's different from 'want it' or 'good idea.'

He wanted to be in '09 and it didn't work out, in part because he wanted a fat check. Same with Enterprise and I don't get it. It really isn't as if he needs the cash.

He just can't let go. It's really embarrassing by now. Whenever there's a new Trek thing of ANY kind it's almost a given that he throws in his "I'm here I'm ready to play Kirk again" thing. I think he's more after the publicity than the actual logistics/money of it all - he just loves it when people talk about him, and saying "I'll play Kirk again" accomplishes that, never mind that it probably won't work out anyway. His ego really stretches from here to Romulus and back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

He just can't let go. It's really embarrassing by now. Whenever there's a new Trek thing of ANY kind it's almost a given that he throws in his "I'm here I'm ready to play Kirk again" thing. I think he's more after the publicity than the actual logistics/money of it all - he just loves it when people talk about him, and saying "I'll play Kirk again" accomplishes that, never mind that it probably won't work out anyway. His ego really stretches from here to Romulus and back.

All true. he wants his name out there. I mean he's active as hell and looks great for 86, but it's just...over. His time in the character is done, and every time he pops his head up and says, "I'm Kirk...I can be Kirk. I'm here right now waiting to be Kirk again." I just sigh and cringe. He's got so much other stuff going on; go do that and go push that.

I mean, Patrick Stewart isn't begging for mics to say, "We really should resurrect TNG because I want to/my ego needs for me to be Picard for another 25 years."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

All true. he wants his name out there. I mean he's active as hell and looks great for 86, but it's just...over. His time in the character is done, and every time he pops his head up and says, "I'm Kirk...I can be Kirk. I'm here right now waiting to be Kirk again." I just sigh and cringe. He's got so much other stuff going on; go do that and go push that.

I mean, Patrick Stewart isn't begging for mics to say, "We really should resurrect TNG because I want to/my ego needs for me to be Picard for another 25 years."

This would be one of the VERY few things that could make me want to step back from being a fan of his. It would be just as embarrassing as Shatner is now (although I just CAN'T see him being like this, he'd be charming and cute about it, simply because he doesn't have Shatner's overwhelming desire for spotlight and screentime, he's an ENSEMBLE actor, always ready to point out that he's only a PART of a crew while Shatner is... well, Shatner). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shatner's looking more and more Nora Desmond-ish every minute... I half-expect him to just show up at DSC's Toronto studios one day in a gold tunic and black trousers again.   I can't tell if it's driven by ego or money (which he really doesn't need) or both (?), but it's just shy of humiliating himself.  Prime Kirk is dead (at least onscreen) in the prime timeline future, and this new series is set in the prime timeline. Time travel or some other scifi explanation for the resurrection of an aged/dead captain (who is about 24 in the current DSC timeline) would've made ripples. 

Just...don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

William Shatner Says He's Ready To Play Captain Kirk Again

“I’m perfectly fit and ready to put on some makeup… The problem I guess is what do you do with an aging captain whose youthful existence is already there?,” Shatner said to the Regina Leader-Post.

Gus

This is a puff piece. It is not even an interview. They just cut and pasted info from 2007 and then loosely took from an appearance on a show in 2017, having nothing to do with Star Trek or playing Kirk again.

At SVCC (Silicon Valley Comic Con) someone asked him this very question. His actual reply, and you can find it online, from last month, was this.

"I'm 86 years old. If a story came along where you could shoehorn that in, I guess so. I am in great shape for my age, you think? But I wasn't asked to be in the new films, or in the new one (Discovery), and as some of your pointed out, I died as Kirk did, 23 years ago. No way to work that in, Next question." (He then plugged his books where he comes back, but he didn't mean he was planning on it).

Someone else suggested a Mirror Kirk story line. To which he joked. "Well, I did write that in my book. I did that, but really, only if a good story comes along, but I haven't seen it yet.It's a good book though. Read it."

Later on he hinted at the process of acting and stories. "You see, we take what script we're given, and some are great, some not. I haven't been told. I didn't even know what the new show was set in. Senior moment." Someone again mentioned Discovery. "That's a good name. It is very Star Trek."

(He kept hawking Senior Moment, his new sitcom. by having to reference that phrase a lot).

There you have it, Shatner's actual take, cleared up and paraphrased a bit. The gist is is he too old, knows he is, and that because his Kirk died, and hasn't been offered anything. It matches his earlier blog posts in 2012 and others later.

So he didn't say he's ready to play Kirk again at all. It was more like "There are always possibilities" but he is getting old. This does sound more like him than the article. He sure was chipper and funny at the con weeks ago. He said a lot of things that were just rambling and funny. He also hosted a TNG panel later, and was right up there with them. That was my Kirk meets the TNG crew moment, so far as I was concerned. Someone has posted it online here. It really is like watching a live Captain's Table book.

Edited by Chimera82405

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

This would be one of the VERY few things that could make me want to step back from being a fan of his. It would be just as embarrassing as Shatner is now (although I just CAN'T see him being like this, he'd be charming and cute about it, simply because he doesn't have Shatner's overwhelming desire for spotlight and screentime, he's an ENSEMBLE actor, always ready to point out that he's only a PART of a crew while Shatner is... well, Shatner). 

 

Something animated or something sure, and I'd love to see it,  but Stewart seems unashamedly aware that his fisticuff and dune buggy days on film are done.

And that's the difference between the two actors: Shatner has always been a literal line-counter and Stewart is there for the work. An actor like Stewart, at the end of the day, doesn't care if Tom Cruise has 85% of the lines if Stewart's one scene works and has meat to it.

"Let Tom talk, and when the scene cuts to me, I'm going to do my damndest to blow the doors off the place, so i can be proud of that one scene when we wrap."

He's in it to act, not because he needs other people seeing him act...if that makes sense. Does in my head anyway. :) 

35 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Shatner's looking more and more Nora Desmond-ish every minute... I half-expect him to just show up at DSC's Toronto studios one day in a gold tunic and black trousers again.   I can't tell if it's driven by ego or money (which he really doesn't need) or both (?), but it's just shy of humiliating himself.  Prime Kirk is dead (at least onscreen) in the prime timeline future, and this new series is set in the prime timeline. Time travel or some other scifi explanation for the resurrection of an aged/dead captain (who is about 24 in the current DSC timeline) would've made ripples. 

Just...don't. 

I wonder if part of it is that Pine Kirk gnaws at him just existing and has his own fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Something animated or something sure, and I'd love to see it,  but Stewart seems unashamedly aware that his fisticuff and dune buggy days on film are done.

And that's the difference between the two actors: Shatner has always been a literal line-counter and Stewart is there for the work. An actor like Stewart, at the end of the day, doesn't care if Tom Cruise has 85% of the lines if Stewart's one scene works and has meat to it.

"Let Tom talk, and when the scene cuts to me, I'm going to do my damndest to blow the doors off the place, so i can be proud of that one scene when we wrap."

He's in it to act, not because he needs other people seeing him act...if that makes sense. Does in my head anyway. :) 

Yup. Summed up: Shatner demanded for Kirk to have more scenes, Sir Patrick made sure to make the best of the ones he got. And yes, he totally doesn't mind stepping into the background and just standing there, letting others do the acting  while Shatner would hiss and whine about not being in the spotlight for ten seconds.

If you hire Shatner you have to make things about Shatner (which is another reason why no one who does Trek should hire him IMO, you'd get Uber Gary Stu Kirk because Shatner won't go for ANYTHING less), if you hire Sir Patrick you can get some actual work done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yup. Summed up: Shatner demanded for Kirk to have more scenes, Sir Patrick made sure to make the best of the ones he got. And yes, he totally doesn't mind stepping into the background and just standing there, letting others do the acting  while Shatner would hiss and whine about not being in the spotlight for ten seconds.

If you hire Shatner you have to make things about Shatner (which is another reason why no one who does Trek should hire him IMO, you'd get Uber Gary Stu Kirk because Shatner won't go for ANYTHING less), if you hire Sir Patrick you can get some actual work done. 

I'm sure he liked the scenes in "his" books where Kirk comes out on top against Data and beat Worf in a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'm sure he liked the scenes in "his" books where Kirk comes out on top against Data and beat Worf in a fight.

And Jean-Luc is the clumsy side kick and generally incompetent n00b who has to rely on Kirk for guidance and rescue, yeah. Awful, just awful. But fitting for Shatner's ego, absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'm sure he liked the scenes in "his" books where Kirk comes out on top against Data and beat Worf in a fight.

Or basically saves the universe while ALL of the TNG/DS9/VGR characters essentially stand around with their jaws slackened.  Granted, his books are mostly ghost-written, but he has input on overall tone and story, no doubt; or he wouldn't just rubber-stamp his name on them. 

 

If they showed Kirk in a less-than-flattering light, I'm pretty sure they be re-ghost-written. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But....but...but....its William Shatner ! I love him ! I am working on a non-Star Trek documentary of his from the same producers from FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, and he is always smart and gentle. He saw the fan edit of STAR TREK V which I helped produce, and he was very enthusiastic about it. Shatner rulez in my book, guys

18199365_10213021695916280_7965743566291

We love you, Bill !

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GustavoLeao said:

But....but...but....its William Shatner ! I love him ! I am working on a non-Star Trek documentary of his from the same producers from FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, and he is always smart and gentle. He saw the fan edit of STAR TREK V which I helped produce, and he was very enthusiastic about it. Shatner rulez in my book, guys

18199365_10213021695916280_7965743566291

We love you, Bill !

Gus

Yes, but have you noticed that ALL of the pics you post of him are from when he was in his mid-30s?  That was over 50 years ago.  He's 86 now; a few years short of 90.   His character is dead in the prime universe (at least in the late 24th century he will be; he's MIA in 2295).  

In short, his returning to DSC will not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I dont wanna him in DISCOVERY or even in these awful JJ TREK movies.

18342392_10213030680180881_1369385775582

I only want him do get the respect he is due. That man is a great actor, director and writer. He saved Star Trek when he replaced Jeffrey Hunter and nailed the character of the captain. If he sometimes has a temper or shows a big ego, thats okay, because I dont think you can be creative in Hollywood without having a ego. So there you are.

Gus

PS- The photos are from the second pilot because thats the photos posted in my FB page. Nothing to do with his age, and I think he looks great  at 86. I dont wanna to have him playing Kirk again. I want him to have some respect from the fans who have followed the franchise 50-year history...........thats just me.

Even the TNG cast has a great relationship with Bill (see the video below of him hosting a TNG pane and having the fun of his life - thats Billl) and he got the respect from  a lot of people when he wrote and directed THE CAPTAINS and CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE docs. I think some fans just dont like him without meeting him, becaus eof his ego stories, but I think from people who knows him, that he matured a  lot since the 1980s when his ego was causing problems on the TOS movies sets, but that is water under the bridge now.

 

Edited by GustavoLeao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites