Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

THE DARK TOWER

Good morning, bom dia !

Epic First Trailer For THE DARK TOWER Says That In A World Of Superheroes, There's Only One Gunslinger

The first trailer for The Dark Tower is finally here and it's really something special! Featuring incredible visuals and plenty of nods to the books, take a trip to Mid-World

It did seem pretty rushed.

Development limbo for years, then bam, and no particular marketing for it until now,

I was thinking about this too. Considering this is a significant portion of King's work, you would have figured they would invest more care into something that could be a mega franchise. Alas, I wouldn't be surprised if it blew chunks. King has terrible luck when it comes to the motion pictures. 

I just saw that the movie is one hour and thirty minutes. That's unusually short for the material that it was based on. 

I saw it today. Basically, if you're a fan of The Dark Tower series then you shouldn't watch this movie. Also, if you're a fan of movies you shouldn't watch it either. It's a mess. I don't think they knew to make up their mind about what type of movie they wanted. I think they tried going for the generic Sorcerer's Apprentice thing or Harry Potter. I don't know. 

Both Elba and McConaughey are wasted in this which is a pity. Both are great actors and McConaughey is the perfect Randall/Walter Flagg. The characterization is wrong for both roles. Imo, Jake Chambers was cast too old. Should have been a younger kid. That would help in the sense of developing that father/son relationship between Roland and Jake. As he's older in the movie(teens), it ends up looking more awkward. 

It's not quite as bad to me as one star. I'd say barely two. But as a Dark Tower movie, it is not worth it, or even right. Never got through the book series, but know the movie takes place somewhere in the middle. Why did they do that? The series was like 7 or 8 books, so make it eight seasons of a Netflix series, not a movie. It has too much going on.

Reminded me of 1980s Hollywood movies where the source was fantasy, like He Man and Beast Master, and they ran out of money, so they filmed it in LA instead. Yes they probably got the idea from TDT series going to NY, but it's still lazy. I will not give away plot points. It just seemed odd even how they went where they were going in the film, like it wanted to be more scifi than horror fantasy.

The technobabble was not necessary. Does the doorway to the other world need a control panel with actual terran numbers? Ha. Does the evil magician need a mind sifter device?

One plot point. A bigger nit is in the trailer too. The scene where the boy and the Gunsligher are shooting targets, one handed, with 44 caliber bullets, like in the movies. Those things are heavy and have a kickback. You won't be able to aim with one hand on both the stock and on the trigger only. Maybe since the gunslinger of El Arthur is magical, okay he can, but the boy never shot anything before.

The writer is one of the guys on Discovery. Oh no. Three other writers worked on it. Three directors tried to make it work.

It was less Harry Potter and more Pearcy Jackson. Little Maze Runner in there too. It just isn't Dark Tower. It's a fan fic from someone who only read Dark Tower 6 and 7.

Edited. Actually the bigger man could fire a six gun one handed, but the inexperienced boy could not.

Edited by Chimera82405

4 minutes ago, Chimera82405 said:

It was less Harry Potter and more Pearcy Jackson. Little Maze Runner in there too. It just isn't Dark Tower. It's a fan fic from someone who only read Dark Tower 6 and 7.

Yep, I haven't watched those movies but I get the comparison. Yes, that's better than my HP comparison which is not accurate at all. I think what I was going for is that they were trying to appeal to that younger demographic and these books are anything but that. 

The explanation that I've read online is that these movies happen after the books end. Understanding book 7's ending, without any spoilers, I get that. But if you were watching the movie without any knowledge of the books...well....it just doesn't have anything to offer. Maybe a couple of inside jokes and "Stephen Kingisms", like the St. Bernard strolling in NYC, the abandoned amusement park with the broken down Pennywise ride(or something like that). The best one was when Roland asks if the animals in this world still talk as an allusion to Oy(the best effin' character in the books imho). 

What a waste. I felt like I was watching The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe feeling so disappointed. But it wasn't utter dread as when I watched The Last Airbender. So there's that I suppose. 

DARK TOWER TOPS BOX OFFICE

Despite negative reviews, The Dark Tower topped the domestic box office on Friday with an estimated $7.7 million on Friday.

The Sony Picture release topped Dunkirk, which placed second with $5.0 million after topping the box office for two two weeks.

Spider-Man: Homecoming placed seventh with $2.5 million, pushing its total to $288.6 million. Atomic Blonde placed eighth with $2.4 million, pushing its total to $28.3 million.

Wonder Woman pulled in $0.7 million, pushing its total to $397.8 million

20604503_10214062260889754_1111734903801

I think you'll get diehard DT fans like me who will go this weekend as well as general Stephen King fans but I expect it to bottom out by this upcoming weekend. The movie is bad. I'm sure word of mouth will bury it. 

18 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah. It's a fairly unmitigated disaster.

$7 million takes care of the catering bill... :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

$7 million takes care of the catering bill... :laugh:

Heh. That's Mathew's Lincoln Town Car budget. Judging by the commercials he wears them like mood rings.

$29M so far on a 60 production budget and I doubt it even sees that back, which would make it a bigger failure than Nemesis.

Sign in to follow this