Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Picard made a paradox?

Scotty   

I am watching Star Trek: Generations. Its one of my favourite films. Haven't watched it in a couple of years. I am as far as Picard's plea with Kirk. When he pleas for him to return with him. Its back to where he tried to get to Sorn. So shouldn't there now be two Picards? Hes traveled back to before he entered the nexus, therefore he would have met himself? Its a thought here.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I am watching Star Trek: Generations. Its one of my favourite films. Haven't watched it in a couple of years. I am as far as Picard's plea with Kirk. When he pleas for him to return with him. Its back to where he tried to get to Sorn. So shouldn't there now be two Picards? Hes traveled back to before he entered the nexus, therefore he would have met himself? Its a thought here.

Yeah, as much as I like GEN (a sentimental favorite, I freely admit), the time travel wasn't too well thought out.  Technically there should've been two Picards and one Kirk, but oh well...

I think two Picards would be more than our own beloved Mr. Picard could handle.  Hehe...:giggle:

32 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, as much as I like GEN (a sentimental favorite, I freely admit), the time travel wasn't too well thought out.  Technically there should've been two Picards and one Kirk, but oh well...

I think two Picards would be more than our own beloved Mr. Picard could handle.  Hehe...:giggle:

Whoa, this derailed into "HNNNNNGGGG JEAN-LUC" territory in the first reply. That's GOTTA be a new record. :laugh: 

I would like to point out, however, that TNG already HAD two Jean-Lucs in "Time Squared" - maybe they didn't want for the poor man to experience something similar again in the movie. Pity tho. :P 

(Nah, just kidding, Sehlat ist right. The time travel in GEN is a bit... bumpy.)

22 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

(Nah, just kidding, Sehlat ist right. The time travel in GEN is a bit... bumpy.)

Actually time travel throughout ST has always been a bit bumpy; even back in the days of TOS.  

"Tomorrow Is Yesterday" seriously postulates that if you beamed Capt. Christopher and the air police sergeant back INTO THEMSELVES at the precise moment you snatched them away (or way before, as it looks in the final episode) you somehow 'cure' them of their time travel memories/experiences.  First of all, the sergeant was 'beamed into himself' when he was just doing his nightly rounds, so essentially they abducted him and put him back BEFORE he was initially kidnapped (!).  He would've remembered that second abduction, at the very least.  Not to mention he'd be double his previous mass (!!).   Ditto with Capt. Christopher; who was 're-beamed' into his jet before he was snared by the Enterprise's tractor beam.

But I digress; there are paradoxes aplenty throughout ST regarding time travel.   

31 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Whoa, this derailed into "HNNNNNGGGG JEAN-LUC" territory in the first reply. That's GOTTA be a new record. :laugh: 

Sorry... couldn't resist. :P

32 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I would like to point out, however, that TNG already HAD two Jean-Lucs in "Time Squared" - maybe they didn't want for the poor man to experience something similar again in the movie. Pity tho. :P 

Yeah, too much of any good thing, right? :laugh:

Though it would've made for a nice surprise (and a nice twist) if the newly returned Kirk and Picard (who were both getting their butts kicked by Soran) look up and see... a SECOND Picard (the 'first' Picard) who miraculously appears over a ridge and saves the day.  

The End.

Fin. :giggle:

^ That would have been a much better movie ending than the actual one. :P Two Jean-Lucs saving the day, what's not to love?

6 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

^ That would have been a much better movie ending than the actual one. :P Two Jean-Lucs saving the day, what's not to love?

I would've loved to have seen Jean-Luc's explanation when the rescue shuttle showed up.  

"Uh...well, I went into the nexus, which never got here by the way, and I met Guinan's echo, who told me to enlist James Kirk--yes, the dead guy--for help, see?  Then when I came back, I found I was already here fighting Soran.  So me and my other self teamed up to save the day so that the nexus never got here and none of that other stuff ever happened..."

:giggle:

"Where's Kirk, sir?"

"Oh, he died again... We buried him in that cairn over there." :P

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

I would've loved to have seen Jean-Luc's explanation when the rescue shuttle showed up.  

"Uh...well, I went into the nexus, which never got here by the way, and I met Guinan's echo, who told me to enlist James Kirk--yes, the dead guy--for help, see?  Then when I came back, I found I was already here fighting Soran.  So me and my other self teamed up to save the day so that the nexus never got here and none of that other stuff ever happened..."

:giggle:

Can't be any weirder than "we encountered a shuttle with another me from the future and I shot him to prevent the Enterprise from getting destroyed by a mysterious blue thing in space that appeared out of nowhere, sorry that I apparently commited homicidal suicide but it had to be done". ;)

Just now, Mr.Picard said:

Can't be any weirder than "we encountered a shuttle with another me from the future and I shot him to prevent the Enterprise from getting destroyed by a mysterious blue thing in space that appeared out of nowhere, sorry that I apparently commited homicidal suicide but it had to be done". ;)

By now, I'm pretty sure that Starfleet after-action reports come with a simple 'PARADOX' option... :P

By now, I'm pretty sure that Starfleet after-action reports come with a simple 'PARADOX' option... :P

Yup, just tick the PARADOX box and only people who never get any headaches read that report. :laugh: Really though, Jean-Luc sends SO many weird reports to Starfleet, I don't think the "Generations" one you proposed would even have raised anyone's eybrows, they'd just have been like "oh God Picard was at it again, wasn't he". lol

Just now, Mr.Picard said:

Yup, just tick the PARADOX box and only people who never get any headaches read that report. :laugh: Really though, Jean-Luc sends SO many weird reports to Starfleet, I don't think the "Generations" one you proposed would even have raised anyone's eybrows, they'd just have been like "oh God Picard was at it again, wasn't he". lol

As I was watching "Q Who" again recently, I noticed Riker's expression when Worf reported that Picard's missing shuttle was back in the bay, and that Picard was now in 10-Forward; it wasn't an expression of surprise or even incredulity.  It was more like, "Oh, it's one of THOSE days..." :laugh:

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As I was watching "Q Who" again recently, I noticed Riker's expression when Worf reported that Picard's missing shuttle was back in the bay, and that Picard was now in 10-Forward; it wasn't an expression of surprise or even incredulity.  It was more like, "Oh, it's one of THOSE days..." :laugh:

lmao! Yeah, no one's really that concerned, they're more like mildly annoyed right from the start, like "okay who kidnapped the captain NOW" :laugh: (It's reasonable though, they know Jean-Luc is in the shuttle and therefore it stands to reason someone wants to TALK to him and most likely not KILL him and it also stands to reason that they'll bring both shuttle and captain back at SOME point once the negotiations have been concluded, haha)

6 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

lmao! Yeah, no one's really that concerned, they're more like mildly annoyed right from the start, like "okay who kidnapped the captain NOW" :laugh: (It's reasonable though, they know Jean-Luc is in the shuttle and therefore it stands to reason someone wants to TALK to him and most likely not KILL him and it also stands to reason that they'll bring both shuttle and captain back at SOME point once the negotiations have been concluded, haha)

I wonder if that 'look' of Riker's was meant to imply that he knew the whole thing was some kind of Q shenanigans (after all, Riker himself was a Q for a short time), or as you say, that he understood the gesture as being of an intelligent alien race that wanted to talk (?).   But he never seemed surprised at the seemingly paradoxical return of the 'missing' shuttle...

I wonder if that 'look' of Riker's was meant to imply that he knew the whole thing was some kind of Q shenanigans (after all, Riker himself was a Q for a short time), or as you say, that he understood the gesture as being of an intelligent alien race that wanted to talk (?).   But he never seemed surprised at the seemingly paradoxical return of the 'missing' shuttle...

He's very eager to then check out what's going on though, he rushes down to Ten Foward immediately with Worf, so he IS curious, but yeah, not really that concerned. My guess is that he simply knows he's going to get some answers now. But then, when is anyone EVER really concerned on TNG - they don't even see any need to run once the auto distruct sequence has been activated. They still walk through the corridors like as if nothing's happening, haha. (I love it.)

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

He's very eager to then check out what's going on though, he rushes down to Ten Foward immediately with Worf, so he IS curious, but yeah, not really that concerned. My guess is that he simply knows he's going to get some answers now. But then, when is anyone EVER really concerned on TNG - they don't even see any need to run once the auto distruct sequence has been activated. They still walk through the corridors like as if nothing's happening, haha. (I love it.)

I guess there's no need to rush when you know that, in 20 minutes or so, those samples you're carefully taking to the lab are going to be vaporized anyway, right? :laugh:

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I guess there's no need to rush when you know that, in 20 minutes or so, those samples you're carefully taking to the lab are going to be vaporized anyway, right? :laugh:

Exactly. I love that kind of fatalism. :laugh:

On 4/30/2017 at 5:25 PM, Scotty said:

qcmgj.jpg

5 hours ago, The Founder said:

qcmgj.jpg

^
Stephen Hawking said there'd be days like this...:giggle:

I'm rather fond of temporal mechanics for some reason...

TimeSquared.png

:angel_not:

Sim   
7 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

TimeSquared.png

:laugh::thumbup:

48 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

TimeSquared.png

Now just imagine; inside most of these... :P

parallels322.jpg

Are more and more of these....

allegiance294.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Now just imagine; inside most of these... :P

parallels322.jpg

Are more and more of these....

allegiance294.jpg

GoldenGirls.gif