Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Kirk Drift

48 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I think it's more like "tolerate in the context of the JJverse movies" than "like" per se! 

I did like him in Beyond, but it was only when I got to see him in Beyond that I realized quite how far off the mark the character was in the first two films.

I tend to see him in each successive film as an evolution.

scenario   

I don't have that much problem with JJverse Kirk the same way I don't have a problem with Mirror Kirk. They are three different characters. It's like you take two identical twins and raise them in different environments. There are going to be some things similar because they have the same genes but there are going to be some things completely different. 

Like most of the people here, I think that Beyond is the only real ST movie of the three but its not a prime universe ST.  Comparing JJverse and TOS is like comparing TOS and TNG. There  both ST but with a different set of characters. Pine's Kirk and Shattner's Kirk are similar but not the same. 

18 minutes ago, scenario said:

I don't have that much problem with JJverse Kirk the same way I don't have a problem with Mirror Kirk. They are three different characters. It's like you take two identical twins and raise them in different environments. There are going to be some things similar because they have the same genes but there are going to be some things completely different. 

Very this.

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I did like him in Beyond, but it was only when I got to see him in Beyond that I realized quite how far off the mark the character was in the first two films.

Beyond’s Kirk was much closer to TOS’ version, save for his strange desire to relinquish command (can’t picture TOS/TMP Kirk ever flirting with that idea).  But otherwise, he was a lot more familiar (even the haircut).

23 hours ago, scenario said:

Like most of the people here, I think that Beyond is the only real ST movie of the three but its not a prime universe ST.  Comparing JJverse and TOS is like comparing TOS and TNG. There  both ST but with a different set of characters. Pine's Kirk and Shattner's Kirk are similar but not the same. 

Wouldn't say I had a problem with JJ Kirk, but as Vie notes, Beyond's Kirk was much closer in character to TOS Kirk, which was just nice to experience as a longtime fan. I think Chris Pine is a fine actor who, for the first time, was being allowed to essay a version of Kirk that I actually recognized. You're right, the three (including Mirror version) are essentially three very different characters. In the first two BR films, he's a fairly damaged character who lands in the captain's chair as much through happenstance as for any other reason. TOS Kirk got there by working hard and being a bookworm at the Academy. By comparison, JJverse McCoy is very similar to TOS McCoy, but then their histories don't diverge from birth nearly so much. (And that's also due in large part to Karl Urban's uncanny ability to channel DeForest Kelley. I don't know how he does that, but it made me like McCoy more than any other character in the JJverse movies.)

There is also Shatner's own myth-making about Kirk and his desire to blur the two through spin-off media, which I think, over time, has contributed to Kirk drift. Well, Shatner mythologizes himself, Kirk's just an ingredient in the mix.

I should add, you know who is a brilliant Kirk? Vic Mignogna in Star Trek Continues. He's an actor who has really studied TOS Kirk and his performances in that justly lauded fan production aren't just simple mimickry of Shatner's version. It's a continuation and expansion of TOS Kirk, with all the familiar leadership qualities and quirks you'd expect, but he clearly understands the history, layers and nuances of the character and advances them in these new stories. In small ways, he's a subtler actor than Shatner, which is not to diss the Shat - I love it when he gives it his all. But Mignogna, like Pine, projects a warmth towards his crew that I can really buy.

Edited by Robin Bland

11 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I should add, you know who is a brilliant Kirk? Vic Mignogna in Star Trek Continues. He's an actor who has really studied TOS Kirk and his performances in that justly lauded fan production aren't just simple mimickry of Shatner's version. It's a continuation and expansion of TOS Kirk, with all the familiar leadership qualities and quirks you'd expect, but he clearly understands the history, layers and nuances of the character and advances them in these new stories. In small ways, he's a subtler actor than Shatner, which is not to diss the Shat - I love it when he gives it his all. But Mignogna, like Pine, projects a warmth towards his crew that I can really buy.

^ Couldn’t agree more.