Mr.Picard

TNG Fandom Showcase Ideas

I'm doing a TNG Fandom Showcase on Imzy this week (I wrote an introduction for today) with a TNG-related post every day, and I thought "why not ask others what they would put into something like this".

I have two ideas already:

- TNG Ships & Fan Fiction (will focus mostly on slash since this is my expertise AND since TNG has such a tiny slash fandom it deserves to be in the spotlight for once)

- Most Popular Episodes (the usual suspects here, "The Inner Light", "Chain Of Command", etc)

I have a third idea called "TNG Controversies" in which I'd love to write all about how the show failed in regards of female character treatment and the inclusion of LGBT characters/issues, but I'm not sure if I should do that. A Fandom Showcase is not supposed to be overly negative, you want for people to check out the show, not stay away from it. Also, people who know me are aware of my complete and utter love for TNG and that my rants about this subject don't mean I dislike the show, but to people who are not familiar with me it might seem strange to see me tearing things apart like this. So, I'm really on the fence here, but I'm leaning towards "do not include this".

So... what would YOU put into something like this? Remember, this is NOT meant to be NEGATIVE towards TNG. It's supposed to show the STRENGTHS of the show. Should I do episode spotlights? Character spotlights? We all know which character I'd pick. Actor spotlights? Oh dear, self, don't.

I'm genuinely looking for input here. The Imzy community did give stuff to post about in a general fandom showcase outline, but I always think it's better to ask people who are familiar with the material, they tend to come up with better topics.

One suggestion in that outline also touches on the one who posts - what I think about TNG, what I like, what I do fandom-wise (y'know, fan fics and stuff), my favorite episodes, seasons, ships, etc. Do you think something like that is even remotely interesting to people? I tend to go completely against the mainstream fandom opinions when it comes to TNG, maybe this would be interesting to see for some folks? (I mean people sometimes DO say "we want to know who's posting all this, tell us about yourself", so I'm guessing stuff like that is important? I'm really bad when it comes to judging this sort of thing.)

So... again... what would YOU write about? Remember, GOOD things about TNG. While still remaining at least SOMEWHAT objective, of course. This can ALSO include the movies although I'd rather not because meh, the movies... unless we're talking about First Contact and the Borg arc. (Would that be a good subject? The Borg arc? TNG rarely did arcs, maybe this is special enough to warrant its own topic?)

Sim   

From the top of my head, my first idea is "the optimism/utopia of TNG".

More than any other ST show, it had this very idealistic, optimistic tone. Most shows since then leaned much more on the gritty or morally ambigous side... but don't we need this optimism again more than ever? The strong belief in the power of rationality and enlightenment to improve man and better the world? Or is it too naive anyway?

Good topic, btw. I'll give this some more thought and write again later. :)

Just now, Sim said:

From the top of my head, my first idea is "the optimism/utopia of TNG".

More than any other ST show, it had this very idealistic, optimistic tone. Most shows since then leaned much more on the gritty or morally ambigous side... but don't we need this optimism again more than ever? The strong belief in the power of rationality and enlightenment to improve man and better the world? Or is it too naive anyway?

Good topic, btw. I'll give this some more thought and write again later. :)

This is a good idea - I don't want to write a sociopolitical essay (don't want to bore people, it's still a fandom community, and I DEFINITELY don't want political arguments in the comments, ugh) but touching on TNG's generally optimistic tone might be very good in a paragraph about the show's popularity! *takes notes* I'm sure I can use this somewhere! Thank you, Sim! :)