Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

George Takei is 80 today. Happy B-Day !

Happy 80th anniversary, George.

What is your best memories about Takei and Hikaru Sulu ???

I think his finest moment as an actor was in STAR TREK VI THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY as Captain of the Excelsior. THE NAKED TIME was also a great episode for Sulu.

17951766_10212863429079708_3870193398837

Gus

Happy birthday, mon capitaine (since Takei's Hikaru Sulu secretly identifies with Alexandre Dumas' musketeer, D'Artagnan).  :thumbup:

Captain-Sulu-captain-hikaru-sulu-2190291

As a Californian, I am personally grateful for this man's tireless activism and civic service in our local politics; he was instrumental in working to bring mass transit to the greater Los Angeles area with the L.A. subway system and its connections to Metrolink (which I've personally enjoyed on quite a few occasions; always nice to avoid LA traffic!), his generous donations to the Japanese-American National Museum (Nissei) in LA (which is a must-see; some of those exhibits are incredible and heartbreaking), and his tireless campaigning for equal rights for ALL Americans.  He was instrumental in finding the loophole in Proposition 8 which allowed state legislators to successfully repeal the unconstitutional ban on gay marriage; something else for which my wife and I are grateful, as it allowed us to 'legally' attend our friends' wedding in 2014.

I've only 'met' him once, during the annual Nissei Parade in downtown L.A.  He was grand marshal of the parade, and as his convertible drove by us,  I flashed him the Live Long and Prosper salute.   I could see him laugh and flash one to me in return.   Not quite a 'meeting' but maybe someday...

Happy birthday George.  To you and Brad I wish "the best of times" (to quote Dickens and TWOK... hehe).

My favorite Takei moments...

thenakedtime159.jpg

The sword bit in "Naked Time" (because he was funny as hell in that episode; esp. above, when he accidentally pricked his own thumb... hehe).

thereturnofarchons_047.jpg

"It's paradise.... paradise...."  (Return of the Archons). ^ He really freaked me out with that one.

23j1lrsW3py7u.gif

^ "Wolf in the Fold"; Sulu on tranquilizers, "Whoever he is... he sure talks gloomy."  

I remember my sister and I mimicking that bit for weeks after we first saw it.  :laugh:

waytoeden_167.jpg

^ Sulu is THIS [ ] close to joining the Space Hippies of "Way to Eden"....

waytoeden_172.jpg

.... till Captain Buzzkill von Killjoy comes along and ruins everything (Kirk was probably eyeing the hippie girl for himself).

tumblr_mr7w344AlL1r8rx5xo1_400.gif

^ Star Trek III:  The Search for Spock

Mr. McGee, don't call him 'tiny'... you wouldn't like him when you call him 'tiny.' :giggle:

tuc0670.jpg

^ Sulu to the Rescue in STVI: The Undiscovered Country.   Saving Kirk and company's bacon in a great space battle...

... and he even has time to beam down to the planet and stop conspiracist Adm. Cartwright in his tracks!

tuc0702.jpg

But... one of my favorite George Takei/Sulu moments was in the ST New Voyages/Phase II fan film, "World Enough and Time."
I think George gives his career-best turn as the character in this fan episode.   His grief at the end just BREAKS MY HEART.   Every time.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TC5wl0IzE

^ It's the BEST of the otherwise hit-and-miss ST New Voyages/Phase II fan films (ST Continues are vasty superior in every way, but "World Enough..."  was truly special).

I have forgotten about WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME - one of the best STAR TREK episodes - fan film or not - even made.

Takei was also great as Captain Sulu in the 1997 Interplay game STARFLEET ACADEMY, which he co-starred with Bill Shatner and Koenig, in  a plot to save Federation from  a rebel cadet group, called the Vanguard. The game script was written by Diane Carey who also wrote the novelization.

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I have forgotten about WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME - one of the best STAR TREK episodes - fan film or not - even made.

Takei was also great as Captain Sulu in the 1997 Interplay game STARFLEET ACADEMY, which he co-starred with Bill Shatner and Koenig, in  a plot to save Federation from  a rebel cadet group, called the Vanguard. The game script was written by Diane Carey who also wrote the novelization.

Gus

I can't tell if it's just CGI or if they actually got Takei and Shatner in front of the same green screen at the same time... quite a feat. :giggle:

Well, it appears they are together all righ ! Just check this scene when Shatner, Takei and the cadets return to the bridge of the Enterprise-A (still in drydock in orbit of Jupiter) for  a final mission.

Quite moving scene, to be back on the best ship in the galaxy for a last time, even if it was in a computer game. And the music by Ron Jones is just beatiful;

Ahhhh, the good old days...............

Gus

20 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Well, it appears they are together all righ ! Just check this scene when Shatner, Takei and the cadets return to the bridge of the Enterprise-A (still in drydock in orbit of Jupiter) for  a final mission.

Quite moving scene, to be back on the best ship in the galaxy for a last time, even if it was in a computer game. And the music by Ron Jones is just beatiful;

Ahhhh, the good old days...............

Gus

There was also Takei's 1996 appearance on VGR's "Flashback"; an otherwise nonsensical episode only redeemed by the Capt. Sulu flashbacks (even if they don't really fit the rest of the otherwise pedestrian episode).

flashback111.jpgflashback152.jpg

^
Love the scene when Sulu goes toe-to-toe with Michael Ansara's Kang...

flashback149.jpg

I will tell you a secret, it was great to see the Praxis explosion (again) and the Excelsior facing Kang's battlecruiser, but otherwise, I hated FLASHBACK, because I have so much hopes for it and then I watched it and it was "meh".LOL

Braga wrote  a lot of canonical mistakes in that episode, like the death of Valtane, who turned alive at the end of STAR TREK VI.

There was  a lot to be explored during the events of STAR TREK VI and they werent explored enough.

At least, it was not another holodeck adventure LOL

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

While they were both written to be anniversary "love letters to the fans" "Trials and Tribble-ations" is the only one that succeeds for the simple fact that "Trials..." simply cannot exist without Kirk and crew. Sisko and the bunch inhabit their world and work within it. They need it to solve the problem.

"Flashback" is nothing. It's just Janeway and Tuvok wandering through Tuvok's busted memories as bystanders. None of it mattered.  

I will tell you a secret, it was great to see the Praxis explosion (again) and the Excelsior facing Kang's battlecruiser, but otherwise, I hated FLASHBACK, because I have so much hopes for it and then I watched it and it was "meh".LOL

Braga wrote  a lot of canonical mistakes in that episode, like the death of Valtane, who turned alive at the end of STAR TREK VI.

There was  a lot to be explored during the events of STAR TREK VI and they werent explored enough.

At least, it was not another holodeck adventure LOL

Gus

Yeah, I hear you; I'm not terribly fond of the episode either, as it's a really LAME excuse just to show the Excelsior crew again (and they botched that as well, by killing off Valtane prematurely).  

But... it's always good to see Takei and Whitney together again; I don't care if they were at the grand opening of a car wash, it was nice (no matter how flimsy the excuse).

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, I hear you; I'm not terribly fond of the episode either, as it's a really LAME excuse just to show the Excelsior crew again (and they botched that as well, by killing off Valtane prematurely).  

But... it's always good to see Takei and Whitney together again; I don't care if they were at the grand opening of a car wash, it was nice (no matter how flimsy the excuse).

Well, that we can all agree !

Gus

9 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Well, that we can all agree !

Gus

Yeah, the episode is awful; but seeing George and Gracie (hehe... see what I did there?:P ) was terrific. :thumbup:

flashback112.jpg

tvh0398.jpg :laugh:

One of the great things about WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME is that James Cawley and the NEW VOYAGES people really did  a great and perfect re-creation of the USS Excelsior bridge, and even Grace did a fun  cameo in that little scene. Damn, I miss those great fan films of yesterday.

WEaT_Publicity_002.jpg

18033360_10212889944662581_2180814453433

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

4 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

One of the great things about WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME is that James Cawley and the NEW VOYAGES people really did  a great and perfect re-creation of the USS Excelsior bridge, and even Grace did a fun  cameo in that little scene. Damn, I miss those great fan films of yesterday.

WEaT_Publicity_002.jpg

18033360_10212889944662581_2180814453433

Gus

^
That was the best of that series.
And I actually got to meet the writer, Marc Scott-Zicree, at Comic Con 2011 (by chance, in fact).  I'd been a fan of his work since "The Twilight Zone Companion" book he wrote back in 1983 (still have my 1st edition), as well as his writing for TV (including the newer TZ and ST-TNG, "First Contact"; the episode, not the movie).   I recognized him in a hallway and we had a brief meet-and-greet.   He was a cool guy.  

By the way, I love Sulu's sneakers...:giggle:

12 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Hey Sehlat......this one for you...............Captain  Sulu vs Kang, the best scene in vOYAGER's "Flashback", written by Brannon Braga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=GEDCsF3kYcY

Gus

^
Ironically that was my favorite scene in the episode and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the story.  I really wished that they'd found a more relevant way to put Sulu back in the episode.  I loved the Excelsior flashbacks, but they could've been introduced with Tuvok simply telling the story to Janeway to help her with a similar decision, rather than that convoluted mess about the mind meld/parasite. 

They could have done the entire episode about the Excelsior vs Kang's cruiser, ala BALANCE OF TERROR or something like that, but no, they keep doing this mental virus scenes which made no sense at all. Ugh. Captain Sulu deserved a better 30th anniversary script.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

31 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

They could have done the entire episode about the Excelsior vs Kang's cruiser, ala BALANCE OF TERROR or something like that, but no, they keep doing this mental virus scenes which made no sense at all. Ugh. Captain Sulu deserved a better 30th anniversary script.

Gus

^

Well, in fairness, they couldn't have done a whole Capt. Sulu episode on VGR because... well, it was a show called VGR, not EXCLSR.  :P

It had to have some kind of modern-day framing device to make it relevant to VGR, but that retrovirus idea just didn't work for me.  It renders most of the episode's plot mechanics about Tuvok's days aboard the Excelsior little more than wasted time in pursuit of a nasty bug.   

I agree with Prometheus' comment above that DS9 did a far smarter flashback story with "Trials and Tribble-ations"; wherein the DS9 crew actually visited that time period and interacted with the TOS cast and crew.   I would say the same for TNG's "Relics" "Sarek" and "Unification"; which tied into the past by having TOS characters meet TNG characters.   

VGR's "Flashback" was little more than a series of interesting scenes involving the 23rd century which had absolutely NO bearing on the present-day story.  VGR's interactions with the past were little more than Tuvok's fever dream/hallucination from his meld with Janeway; there was no reality to it.   Capt. Sulu deserved better.  

Maybe, instead of making "Flashback" a VGR episode, Capt. Sulu's adventures aboard the Excelsior could've been a 90 minute TV special; with NO framing device.   Just an untold tale within a tale (ala Star Wars' "Rogue One").   Since they already had the sets and costumes of the Excelsior for VGR, they could've used them for this little 'anniversary special.'  

But unfortunately, hindsight is always 20/20....

At any rate, the idea of a Sulu/Excelsior flashback was ultimately redeemed with the Phase II fan film  "World Enough and Time".

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe, instead of making "Flashback" a VGR episode, Capt. Sulu's adventures aboard the Excelsior could've been a 90 minute TV special; with NO framing device.   Just an untold tale within a tale (ala Star Wars' "Rogue One").   Since they already had the sets and costumes of the Excelsior for VGR, they could've used them for this little 'anniversary special.'

Well, thats actually a  great idea, Sehlat.

I will email Nicholas Meyer LOL

Gus

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Well, thats actually a  great idea, Sehlat.

I will email Nicholas Meyer LOL

Gus

Hey, if you could... :dance: :laugh:

No kidding, I indeed have his personal email from my old TrekWeb.com days, courtesy of Steve Krurtzler..........

But email him ? Naaaaaaahhhh, I think I will wait for DISCOVERY debut LOL

I am not more TrekWeb editor, so who cares ???

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

No kidding, I indeed have his personal email from my old TrekWeb.com days, courtesy of Steve Krurtzler..........

But email him ? Naaaaaaahhhh, I think I will wait for DISCOVERY debut LOL

I am not more TrekWeb editor, so who cares ???

Gus

Understand.

Besides, as much as I adore Takei, I don't think even he'd be interested in reviving Capt. Sulu at 80 years old (!).  

And he's having WAY too much fun as a social media megastar anyway....:dance:

5rFcB.gif