Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

DISCOVERY Delayed Again ? No Release Date ?

139 posts in this topic

Inverse pays me $15.000,00 via PayPal when I post a link of them here.

The DISCOVERY trailer link is up already.

But I am not gonna put the Inverse link here. I am already rich enough to buy Stark Industries tomorrow morning.

Sleep well, true believer.

LOL

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Inverse pays me $15.000,00 via PayPal when I post a link of them here.

The DISCOVERY trailer link is up already.

But I am not gonna put the Inverse link here. I am already rich enough to buy Stark Industries tomorrow morning.

Sleep well, true believer.

LOL

Gus

Hey, when you buy Stark Industries, could you ask Tony if he can get us to Mars already?  Thanks, Gus. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s official:  Star Trek Discovery premieres on Sept. 24th. :thumbup:

I read it here (on the Trekcore blog) and confirmed via several other sources, including Variety.com

DAD0hTKUAAAUkTP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s official:  Star Trek Discovery premieres on Sept. 24th. :thumbup:

I read it here (on the Trekcore blog) and confirmed via several other sources, including Variety.com

DAD0hTKUAAAUkTP.jpg

Io9 aren't happy, for some reason...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-official-reason-for-star-trek-discoverys-many-dela-1796237580

Personally, I'm glad we've got a definite date at last. 

I love how everyone's an expert on TV show production on io9 comments. I love how they all know how to do it better and it's down to simply calling out Hollywood stalwarts as incompetents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pisses me off:

"After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two parts. The first eight episodes will run from Sept. 24 through Nov. 5. The season will then resume in January 2018."

That's fine if it's on Netflix (for which I already have a subscription and so does half the rest of the world), but in the US I have to fork out a new one for CBSAA and you're going to split the season? What will you give me in the intervening months, CBSAA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

This pisses me off:

"After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two parts. The first eight episodes will run from Sept. 24 through Nov. 5. The season will then resume in January 2018."

That's fine if it's on Netflix (for which I already have a subscription and so does half the rest of the world), but in the US I have to fork out a new one for CBSAA and you're going to split the season? What will you give me in the intervening months, CBSAA? 

Looks like I will be a CBSAA member for October and April.  Screw the intervening months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Locutus said:

Looks like I will be a CBSAA member for October and April.  Screw the intervening months.

If that is an option, me too.

Not cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s official:  Star Trek Discovery premieres on Sept. 24th. :thumbup:

I read it here (on the Trekcore blog) and confirmed via several other sources, including Variety.com

DAD0hTKUAAAUkTP.jpg

Yay! A release date, finally!

Just on the day of the next federal election in Germany... but I guess it won't be available on Netflix here before early on the 25th, anyway.

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

If that is an option, me too.

Not cool. 

Me three.

That sucks.  Nothing else on CBS AA really appeals to me that much to keep it year round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder, this is a long game for CBS.  Yes right now there isn't tons of content and a lot of us will subscribe during the time the show is on and end the subscription when the season is up, but the plan is to grow the content available as time goes on, particularly exclusive content.  They want this thing to be their long term plan as network television changes and adapts for the future. I know it seems frustrating or annoying now, but jeez, maybe if we all give them a chance to build up their brand, they could end up having a bit more content for fans like us year round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kenman said:

Just a reminder, this is a long game for CBS.  Yes right now there isn't tons of content and a lot of us will subscribe during the time the show is on and end the subscription when the season is up, but the plan is to grow the content available as time goes on, particularly exclusive content.  They want this thing to be their long term plan as network television changes and adapts for the future. I know it seems frustrating or annoying now, but jeez, maybe if we all give them a chance to build up their brand, they could end up having a bit more content for fans like us year round. 

It seems like they've put too many eggs in ST's lone basket.  And that's a pretty steep commitment to expect people to mindlessly pay for something for six months that they're not using.   Granted, $7-$10 a month isn't exactly a gym membership, and yes, it's only the equivalent of a couple of Starbuck's mochas; but at least the consumer is getting something with the mocha.  It's not as if they're getting an empty cup for six months.  

A bettter plan might've been for CBS-AA to have a slew of shows in development before launching DSC.   As it is, they're betting the launch of AA and their whole business plan on ONE show.  That simply isn't rational.  What if (gods forbid) DSC tanks?  What if it isn't good?  They lose their only entry in the CBS-AA sweepstakes.  They need to develop lots of other properties in their vaults or seek out exciting new material, ala Netlix or AMC (granted, AMC isn't a streaming only service, but the launch of their new content brand was similar).   Netflix didn't just rest with House of Cards, just as AMC didn't rest with just Mad Men. 

CBS-AA should've had a lineup first, before the launch; a full list of new shows, maybe with some name-brand talent involved. As it is, they're making the same mistake UPN did with the launch of VGR; one 'prestige project' and not much else (unless we count "Homeboys in Space").  And even VGR turned out to be not-so hot.  Granted, such development costs money, but this IS a big gamble for their future; they should really prepare a proper nest for it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 8:11 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

It seems like they've put too many eggs in ST's lone basket.  And that's a pretty steep commitment to expect people to mindlessly pay for something for six months that they're not using.   Granted, $7-$10 a month isn't exactly a gym membership, and yes, it's only the equivalent of a couple of Starbuck's mochas; but at least the consumer is getting something with the mocha.  It's not as if they're getting an empty cup for six months.  

A bettter plan might've been for CBS-AA to have a slew of shows in development before launching DSC.   As it is, they're betting the launch of AA and their whole business plan on ONE show.  That simply isn't rational.  What if (gods forbid) DSC tanks?  What if it isn't good?  They lose their only entry in the CBS-AA sweepstakes.  They need to develop lots of other properties in their vaults or seek out exciting new material, ala Netlix or AMC (granted, AMC isn't a streaming only service, but the launch of their new content brand was similar).   Netflix didn't just rest with House of Cards, just as AMC didn't rest with just Mad Men. 

CBS-AA should've had a lineup first, before the launch; a full list of new shows, maybe with some name-brand talent involved. As it is, they're making the same mistake UPN did with the launch of VGR; one 'prestige project' and not much else (unless we count "Homeboys in Space").  And even VGR turned out to be not-so hot.  Granted, such development costs money, but this IS a big gamble for their future; they should really prepare a proper nest for it...

But while Original Content is down to 2-3 shows, they do have ALL of previous Trek, Twilight Zone, the original Twin Peaks...and all current CBS programming. Granted, they could use more, and they will get more. But they are starting slow on original content (a spin-off of The Good Wife already launched, and we are awaiting Trek). They are also using Netflix to compete with Netflix, which is interesting.  The plan is to try to get CBSAA to be a true competitor, and yet internationally it is on Netflix, and the production of the show has been pretty much paid for by the Netflix deal. So they can have a major product that WILL bring in fans, and it hasn't been a major upfront cost for CBS itself. 

And to your point about Netflix and AMC both slowly rolled out their original content as well.  AMC's first original drama was Mad Men, and they waited another year before Breaking Bad premiered, and another year before Walking Dead and so on.  They slow rolled it out.  Netflix first real launch of original programming was House of Cards, and while they did some imports and brought back Arrested Development, it took a while before they went full throttle with Orange is the New Black and several other programs.  CBS has all it's primetime/daytime/late night/news content streaming, and they have three originals launching this year (The Good Fight isn't getting too much press, but it has good reviews and they also launched a Big Brother spin-off I don't care about), and they are probably already in the works for creating more original content in the next year or so, hopefully they can get some big names that can draw in subscribers (I'm certain that is the plan).  Just because right now they are talking about Trek, doesn't mean that they are stopping there.  I find that highly unlikely.

So the big difference is the base content.  AMC had regular showings of movies before they launched the very cinematic Mad Men and then Breaking Bad. Netflix was developing a huge list of subscribers because they had easy access to tons of streamable on demand content, both classic shows and movies.  CBS unfortunately has their TV line-up.  I don't care about most of that...but it is the #1 Network, so some folks do (they are probably just the least likely to be into streaming as of right now).  But I think their rollout is no different than the approach of the Networks/Services you mentioned, it is just a matter of time before they expand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kenman said:

And to your point about Netflix and AMC both slowly rolled out their original content as well.  AMC's first original drama was Mad Men, and they waited another year before Breaking Bad premiered, and another year before Walking Dead and so on.  They slow rolled it out.

True, but AMC’s main rep at that point wasn’t original programming; it was (hence the name) classic movies.  At one point, they ran them uncut... ah, the good ol’ days! :thumbup:  So, “Mad Men” was a lot more experimental for them.  

If CBS-AA is just rolling out with 2 shows and a bunch of reruns, I really don’t think that’s sustainable, at least not in the beginning.    AMC and Netflix have already kicked down the new content door on both of their respective services; there’s no need for CBS-AA to be so timid.  

Frankly, I don’t really care about ST and Twilight Zone libraries since I already own most of those on DVD and/or blu ray (and I’m guessing many DSC fans will as well).   And a spinoff of “The Good Wife” (while an admirable attempt to reach other audiences) really doesn’t sound like something worth $6-10 a month for a non-Trekkie. 

18 minutes ago, kenman said:

Netflix was developing a huge list of subscribers because they had easy access to tons of streamable on demand content, both classic shows and movies.  CBS unfortunately has their TV line-up.  I don't care about most of that...but it is the #1 Network, so some folks do (they are probably just the least likely to be into streaming as of right now).  But I think their rollout is no different than the approach of the Networks/Services you mentioned, it is just a matter of time before they expand. 

Here’s hoping.

But if CBS-AA fails (and it could, just as UPN did)?  They’d be wise to just put DSC on Netflix, as they are doing for international viewers.   Guaranteed wider audience overnight.  I just hope that DSC doesn’t wind up failing along with CBS-AA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

True, but AMC’s main rep at that point wasn’t original programming; it was (hence the name) classic movies.  At one point, they ran them uncut... ah, the good ol’ days! :thumbup:  So, “Mad Men” was a lot more experimental for them.  

If CBS-AA is just rolling out with 2 shows and a bunch of reruns, I really don’t think that’s sustainable, at least not in the beginning.    AMC and Netflix have already kicked down the new content door on both of their respective services; there’s no need for CBS-AA to be so timid. 

CBSAA launeched like 4 years ago.  Everyone seems to not realize this, they have had this service available for 4 years or so...so they aren't launching a new service with reruns and two original programs. They launched a service to provide classic reruns and there current line-up...and now they are expanding it. They are doing originals, they have added some movies, and they also have streaming access to the NFL now, so games can be streamed live...which is certain to bring in some people. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Frankly, I don’t really care about ST and Twilight Zone libraries since I already own most of those on DVD and/or blu ray (and I’m guessing many DSC fans will as well).   And a spinoff of “The Good Wife” (while an admirable attempt to reach other audiences) really doesn’t sound like something worth $6-10 a month for a non-Trekkie.

I don't either, but it makes sense...part of the target audience is new fans who got in with the Kelvin films, and if they join up, enjoy the new show, having all of Trek's back catalog there for the taking is certainly a plus. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But if CBS-AA fails (and it could, just as UPN did)?  They’d be wise to just put DSC on Netflix, as they are doing for international viewers.   Guaranteed wider audience overnight.  I just hope that DSC doesn’t wind up failing along with CBS-AA...

I have a feeling the international deal with Netflix is the beginnings of Plan B.  If CBS AA fails to take off, the show is unlikely to fail.  As the international deal has essentially already turned a profit, or at the very least taken care of a lot of upfront production, then the likelihood of a second year is higher, and unless it is a huge critical disaster and fans don't watch on either Netflix (around the world) or CBS AA...then they will can it.  But if it has it's fans (and what Trek doesn't?), then it will likely get a second year on CBS AA, and if that just completely becomes economically disastrous for the CBS Corp...then they will probably move it to Netflix in the US, because I think they know that no matter what, they can make some kind of money off of Trek for a bit.  I think the Netflix deal was a way to use Netflix to compete with Netflix domestically, attempt to become a player in it's own right long term, and then I wouldn't be surprised if Plan A succeeds, they make plans to expand from US only to other markets around the world.  If Plan A fails, then they probably shift into a deal where they hold the content rights on Trek and produce it FOR Netflix. 

We will see where it all lands, but I have a feeling that with Trek grabbing in one type of audience, The Good Fight attempting to lure in another type of target audience, and then the NFL being there for such a huge swath of people...they've got a fighting chance to succeed in this first year or so, and they will slowly build from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0