Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

DISCOVERY Delayed Again ? No Release Date ?

scenario   
1 hour ago, Sim said:

If your love for low-tech persists, you could buy a HDMI-to-Scart converter. Then you can scale down your crisp HD 1080p picture to formidable grainy analog SD. :)

Just checked Amazon Germany's page, they got such a converter for €25.

It's not really love for low tech. I find it difficult to focus on a hi def picture and trying to do so for more than a few minutes at a time gives me pretty severe headaches.When I try to watch a high def picture its like the picture goes in and out of focus. Its very disorientating. I can look at a computer that's close up but looking at a picture further away frequently gives me a migraine. 

2 hours ago, Sim said:

If your love for low-tech persists, you could buy a HDMI-to-Scart converter. Then you can scale down your crisp HD 1080p picture to formidable grainy analog SD. :)

YLIwz4QSB5Zf2.gif

I'm half-kidding but... really??  There is such a thing?   :ohmy:

scenario   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

YLIwz4QSB5Zf2.gif

I'm half-kidding but... really??  There is such a thing?   :ohmy:

I can see it. I've gone months without turning on my TV. If you almost never turn on the tv but want to be able to watch one or two shows or have it for an emergency, why would you want to spend money buying a newer fancier one? I'm one of the weird people who prefers a tv without a remote control. Try to find one of them with a newer set. 

4 minutes ago, scenario said:

I can see it. I've gone months without turning on my TV. If you almost never turn on the tv but want to be able to watch one or two shows or have it for an emergency, why would you want to spend money buying a newer fancier one? I'm one of the weird people who prefers a tv without a remote control. Try to find one of them with a newer set. 

The only TV I have without a remote control is when I use my DirecTV app on my iPad...:laugh:

scenario   
Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

The only TV I have without a remote control is when I use my DirecTV app on my iPad...:laugh:

I have the remote control for my DVR burner with TV tuner and a second one for my Roku. I have to turn the TV on and off by hand but that's not really a problem. The reason why I don't want a remote is because many TV's with remotes do away with controls on the TV. So if I want to adjust anything on the TV and the remote is broken, I have to buy a new remote and wait a few weeks to watch TV.

I've had stuff like this happen more than once. Turn TV on. No sound because it is muted. Look for remote to turn sound back on. Can't find. Look on tv for sound controls. No controls on tv. All controls are on remote. Tear room apart looking for remote. Can't find. Meanwhile show I've been dying to watch for three months is playing mute in the background. I am recording the show but with no sound. Finally, three days later I find the remote in a pants pocket in the dirty clothes hamper when I go to wash clothes. 

I haven't bought a new TV in years and have no intention of buying a new one until the old one breaks. 

Sim   
12 hours ago, scenario said:

It's not really love for low tech. I find it difficult to focus on a hi def picture and trying to do so for more than a few minutes at a time gives me pretty severe headaches.When I try to watch a high def picture its like the picture goes in and out of focus. Its very disorientating. I can look at a computer that's close up but looking at a picture further away frequently gives me a migraine. 

Is it just the HD picture, or maybe this stupid "feature" many new tvs have, that adds additional pictures in between the 50 pictures/second and/or creates "smooth movement"? I don't know how this feature is called, but I can't stand it either, it gives me headaches and makes every picture look totally artificial, like a video game. I can't watch HD without switching that feature off.

Edited by Sim

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Is it just the HD picture, or maybe this stupid "feature" many new tvs have, that adds additional pictures in between the 50 pictures/second and/or creates "smooth movement"? I don't know how this feature is called, but I can't stand it either, it gives me headaches and makes every picture look totally artificial, like a video game. I can't watch HD without switching that feature off.

Yeah, motion smoothing is supposed to make things better. It really....really doesn't.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I believe it's called a high refresh rate; anything above a 120 hertz rate (some go above 240 now) looks like crap to me.

A friend of mine once bought a 240 hertz rate TV set and showed it off; I told him it made movies look like videotape.  He told me it was my eyesight.  Glad to hear there are others who agree with me.   I think my friend was just defensive because he'd plunked so much money into the damn thing... :laugh:

It's one of the reasons my wife and I have been reluctant to buy a TV with a refresh rate over 60.  We don't play video games so we really don't need the higher refresh rates (which is about the only thing those high rates are good for, I understand).  

Just hoping that doesn't become the US standard.  

As for DSC?  I'd like to watch it on my TV, but to be honest I rarely watch shows on my actual TV show anymore save for special 'must-sees' like Doctor Who, Oscar night, etc.  I find that I tend to watch a lot of my regular TV shows (even Better Call Saul) on my iPad or computer.  I love carrying my 'TV' from room to room.   I'm just weird that way.

Not sure exactly how I'll watch DSC, but I'm guessing I'll at least watch the pilot on the 'big' TV (only 43") just to see how it appears.  But I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up watching the rest on my handy-dandy iPad. :laugh:

19 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

A friend of mine once bought a 240 hertz rate TV set and showed it off; I told him it made movies look like videotape.  He told me it was my eyesight.

No, it isn't.

It essentially removes every bit of texture from film.

14 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

No, it isn't.

It essentially removes every bit of texture from film.

To me, it looked like someone had their thumb on the fast-forward button as well; all of the motion looked oddly speeded up.

23 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

To me, it looked like someone had their thumb on the fast-forward button as well; all of the motion looked oddly speeded up.

That much I think is a trick of eyesight, as the smoothing sort of removes the hint of motion trail that your eyes look to, so everything doesn't seem as predictable to the eye and therefore fluid.

So it sort of creates the sense that things are sort of jumping from point A to B instead of moving there.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

That much I think is a trick of eyesight, as the smoothing sort of removes the hint of motion trail that your eyes look to, so everything doesn't seem as predictable to the eye and therefore fluid.

So it sort of creates the sense that things are sort of jumping from point A to B instead of moving there.

They experimented with HFR (high frame rates) at the movies a while back with the Hobbit movies; it was pretty much a disaster.  From what I've read, almost no one liked that look.  

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

They experimented with HFR (high frame rates) at the movies a while back with the Hobbit movies; it was pretty much a disaster.  From what I've read, almost no one liked that look.  

Yeah...no one liked 48 fps. I withstood it for about a minute. It makes everything look surreal.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah...no one liked 48 fps. I withstood it for about a minute. It makes everything look surreal.

The Hobbit 2 on HFR looked really cheap. You could see all the make up lines, but also you could tell where things didn't look to scale or depth, because it let you see everything. In the scene where they chucked the boxes into the lake in LakeTown, it looked like they were miniatures on a sound stage. One reviewer said it resembled a soap opera, but I think it more made it look like a cheap Disney afternoon knock off, because you could see too much. Yes it did look at times like video tape.

JVM   

I remember being able to tolerate it fine for the first film, which I mostly liked, but not the second.

kenman   

I avoided the HFR like the plague, sounded like a horrible idea to me and I didn't hear one good word about it. 

8 hours ago, kenman said:

I avoided the HFR like the plague, sounded like a horrible idea to me and I didn't hear one good word about it. 

I've not seen it theatrically (like you, I avoid like the plague), but video HFR (the aforementioned high refresh rate, or whatever demonic thing it's also known as) just looks like crap.  It looks synthetic, herky-jerky and just...weird.  

Yech.  
Give me good old 60-120 hertz.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure I'll watch DSC either via my blu ray player (which has an Internet connection) or on my iPad (which has become my little TV that could... I take it everywhere, so help me).  None of the video/computer equipment in my house has that godawful 240 hertz refresh.   I know, as Sim says, you can elect to turn it off but I'd rather not have it in the first place.   Don't need it.  Don't want it.  Don't want to pay extra for it.   It's probably why my 43" TV only cost $250 when we bought it last year (to replace our 8 year old same-size set...that cost $1500 back in 2008 dollars). :thumbup:

scenario   

At least now I know that Mudd is a guest appearance rather than a semi regular. I guess I could stand the character for one episode if he is the villain and they don't try to make sexism funny again. 

I get my car serviced beside one of the stages DIS is being filmed on here in Toronto. One day when I was picking it up I saw three or four crew members dragging out a side door what appeared to be a larger black board of some sort, roughly 12 feet longer by 6 feet high.  Whatever it was it looked promising!!!1!

Edited by Vampire Kirk

2 hours ago, Vampire Kirk said:

I get my car serviced beside one of the stages DIS is being filmed on here in Toronto. One day when I was picking it up I saw three or four crew members dragging out a side door what appeared to be a larger black board of some sort, roughly 12 feet longer by 6 feet high.  Whatever it was it looked promising!!!1!

Thanks so much for that firsthand intel!  :thumbup:

Black board... maybe a monolith, ala 2001?  :laugh:

African_monolith_2001.jpg

11 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I dunno if this is news, but here we go......

CBS Executive Says 'Discovery' Will Be a "Grittier" 'Star Trek'

Gus

What? Wasn't Abrams Trek 'gritter' enough? Inverse.com again, Gus? Just curious, do you work for them? (JK). So Roger Chen at Breaking News heard third hand from a CBS executive that there might be something more gritty about this new show, while on a podcast?

Edited by Chimera82405