Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

DISCOVERY Delayed Again ? No Release Date ?

139 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Just found this at today's headlines at TrekMovie.com.......

One thing that is definitely high on the minds of all the executives at CBS (and pretty much everyone in Hollywood) is a possible strike by the Writers Guild of America. The latest contract (which itself was only concluded after a strike) is about to expire, and talks resumed this week between the studios and the guild to craft a new one. If a deal isn’t finished by the end of the month then the WGA will go on strike. Just today the WGA released a video urging members to vote to authorize a strike. This doesn’t necessarily mean things are headed to a work stoppage, but could be a form of getting leverage for the talks.

While production on Star Trek: Discovery could continue with any scripts that were already completed before a strike is declared, eventually they will run out of material to shoot. A prolonged strike could easily push the premiere date yet again.

Well, that's a bit beyond the show's control.

ST TNG also experienced a writers' strike into their second season.   ST09 was shot during a writers' strike, and the writers were forbidden to change a word of their completed 2007-written screenplay (probably one of the reasons that Capt. Pike refers to the Federation of Planets as 'a peacekeeping armada'; hehe).    So while a strike is always of concern (and should be taken very seriously), it's not necessarily a showstopper. 

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Locutus said:

That is an outstanding promo.  I would wet my pants if I saw a Discovery promo like that.  The silence is killing me!  I can't wait.

I'm sure it was exciting back then, but man, does it pinpoint the awkward acting (except for Levar, and to a lesser degree, Stewart) of the pilot. Not to mention how TNG has aged...

Troi: "I'm detecting...*frowns...extreme awkwardness". :P

But yes, I'm excited for any kind of promo for Discovery!

Edited by Tupperfan

8 hours ago, Tupperfan said:

I'm sure it was exciting back then, but man, does it pinpoint the awkward acting (except for Levar, and to a lesser degree, Stewart) of the pilot. Not to mention how TNG has aged...

Troi: "I'm detecting...*frowns...extreme awkwardness". :P

But yes, I'm excited for any kind of promo for Discovery!

I know what you mean, but if I was a Star Trek fan who had not seen Star Trek on TV for nearly 20 years, I would have been riveted by that promo and the way they summarize the characters.  I was only 4 years old at the time, so I don't remember these promos.  I do remember finding a sticker with a Season 1 cast photo in a cereal box though.  I still have it to this day!!!  They got me hooked at a young age.

I am looking forward to getting a better snapshot of our new cast.  A sticker in a cereal box would even do.  :dance:

Exactly, I remeber seeing these TNG promos and wet my pants

And i was 17 years aold at the time LOL

Gus

Okay, this was supposed to be posted here but I posted in the wrong thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry.

WIth the Writers Strike in 1988, they had to start the second season of TNG in syndication with the TV Special THE STAR TREK SAGA FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT featuring the TV debut of THE CAGE, and then next week with the episodeTHE CHILD, which was a script left from the aborted 1977 series STAR TREK PHASE 2.

I still have FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT with THE CAGE airing on VHS (transfered to DVD-R) It ends with a special second season TNG promo (another great TV ad by Paramount !)

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Okay, this was supposed to be posted here but I posted in the wrong thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry.

WIth the Writers Strike in 1988, they had to start the second season of TNG in syndication with the TV Special THE STAR TREK SAGA FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT featuring the TV debut of THE CAGE, and then next week with the episodeTHE CHILD, which was a script left from the aborted 1977 series STAR TREK PHASE 2.

I still have FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT with THE CAGE airing on VHS (transfered to DVD-R) It ends with a special second season TNG promo (another great TV ad by Paramount !)

Gus... I have an even better idea: how about posting these in the nice, big, juicy TNG 30th anniversary thread? ;)  Just a thought... 

Well, I love when  a plan comes together !

a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50

Gus

I'm not worried. Let them take as much time as they need. I do wish STID and STB had had more active development time - it may seem like they had no excuse, but it felt like both films kind of sat for a year or two with nothing happening, and then were rushed the rest of the way. Abrams has a busy schedule, I know.

3 hours ago, JVM said:

I'm not worried. Let them take as much time as they need. I do wish STID and STB had had more active development time - it may seem like they had no excuse, but it felt like both films kind of sat for a year or two with nothing happening, and then were rushed the rest of the way. Abrams has a busy schedule, I know.

^
Couldn't agree more.   Sometimes it just takes as long as it takes.  I'd rather have a slow labor of love than a rushed order of business necessity.

29 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Couldn't agree more.   Sometimes it just takes as long as it takes.  I'd rather have a slow labor of love than a rushed order of business necessity.

And even if season 1 sucks, because of all the troubles ... that wouldn't be the first time a Star Trek show needs two or three seasons to really find its style, right? :)

I'm optimistic. Important is, we get Star Trek on tv again, and as was reported, it's financially a success already and season 2 is guaranteed. There is no need for rushing anything, nor for getting everything right on the spot.

22 minutes ago, Sim said:

Important is, we get Star Trek on tv again

Or... on our mobile devices, laptops, desktops, pads, etc. 

Putting ST on CBSAA instead of a network or even a cable station revolutionizes how we'll watch ST, just as selling TNG and DS9 to syndication rather than network TV did (briefly) in the late '80s and the '90s.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Or... on our mobile devices, laptops, desktops, pads, etc. 

Putting ST on CBSAA instead of a network or even a cable station revolutionizes how we'll watch ST, just as selling TNG and DS9 to syndication rather than network TV did (briefly) in the late '80s and the '90s.

Yes! This too! (Guess I should have said "small screen" rather than "tv" :giggle: )

Well, for me, it doesn't make a difference, because I haven't been watching tv shows on "normal" tv for 15 years or so, but exclusively on DVD/BD or streaming. But yeah, for some really strange reason, there still seem to be people who still rely on that 20th century dinosaur relic of network tv, with fixed schedules, constant ad breaks, no option for subtitles or different languages, and often subpar picture quality... :laugh:

If DSC was on normal free tv first, and I'd actually have to use that again before I can see it on my terms on a more convenient platform? I'd be seriously pissed...

No seriously, I think video-on-demand is the future of tv. If you truly care what you're watching, rather than just feeling like random trash as background noise, you're using Netflix etc anyway already, even today.

Edited by Sim

6 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Lets give DISCOVERY  a chance.

Gus

I'm willing...;)

9 hours ago, Sim said:

No seriously, I think video-on-demand is the future of tv. If you truly care what you're watching, rather than just feeling like random trash as background noise, you're using Netflix etc anyway already, even today.

I would agree it's the future of media, although I don't know that I'd call it television at this point.

I'd say that for me, for the programs I love most, those are the ones I actually do make the effort to watch live when possible. To me, there's something special about being there week after week, all of the speculation and wondering, and for me, the convenience of streaming really takes that away from that experience unless you're talking about a season finale/opener situation, and even those are often resolved so quickly in-story that streaming doesn't do them justice, either.

But you know what? I think a serialized television show with an emphasis on streaming is a good move for Star Trek, I really do. I think it's something that shows CBS and Paramount are willing to try something new, even if it's via their own dumb All Access program, and I think the serialization will allow for storytelling that will open up people who might not otherwise be interested.

I think the comments about not saying when the date are were probably a "keeping the options open and not getting set in stone for a date when this WGA strike is looking like it could happen."  This has been on the horizon for weeks, so it makes sense. 

17 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:
What the F#@$ Is Going On With STAR TREK DISCOVERY ?

A great article at io9 seeks the answer at

There is absolutely no answer whatsoever in that article, it's exclusively subjective whining and non representative anecdotes.

Plus it lost any credibility it might have had, the moment the author started whining the show is on streaming rather than CBS network.

We don't need "journalists" for that kind of thing, we can write it ourselves.

I didn't agree with much of the stuff on this article. Science Fiction doesn't make it on network TV. Super Hero's are a sub group of science fiction which does well on TV because its an action show. Traditional SF may have action in it but that's not its focus. Find a Star Trek (any series) episode without any fighting. Pretty easy. Find an episode of the Arrow or the Flash or any of the other superhero shows that doesn't have a single fight scene. Much more difficult. 

Star Trek is a space based science fiction show whose core is ideas and social commentary with some action thrown in. Try to find a single space based traditional sf show on network TV except Star Trek that lasted more than one or two seasons. 

If Discovery was on network TV the people running the network would be screaming to add more action by the third episode. They would get rid of all of the social commentary that might upset people and make it a pure action show which would destroy what makes ST great. Would the networks feel comfortable with an episode that made terrorist look good for example? Social commentary is okay for Netflix or HBO but anything other than superficial commentary is frowned upon on the networks. CBSAA allows the networks to go a little beyond the restrictions of network programming. 

I watch all of super hero shows but I find that I fast forward past all of the boring fight scenes to get to the much more interesting talking scenes. 

Discovery would be dead on CBS within 2 years at most. On CBS all access, it has a chance to last much longer. And why should CBS give away what is potentially its most valuable product?

12 minutes ago, scenario said:

I didn't agree with much of the stuff on this article. Science Fiction doesn't make it on network TV. Super Hero's are a sub group of science fiction which does well on TV because its an action show. Traditional SF may have action in it but that's not its focus. Find a Star Trek (any series) episode without any fighting. Pretty easy. Find an episode of the Arrow or the Flash or any of the other superhero shows that doesn't have a single fight scene. Much more difficult. 

Star Trek is a space based science fiction show whose core is ideas and social commentary with some action thrown in. Try to find a single space based traditional sf show on network TV except Star Trek that lasted more than one or two seasons. 

If Discovery was on network TV the people running the network would be screaming to add more action by the third episode. They would get rid of all of the social commentary that might upset people and make it a pure action show which would destroy what makes ST great. Would the networks feel comfortable with an episode that made terrorist look good for example? Social commentary is okay for Netflix or HBO but anything other than superficial commentary is frowned upon on the networks. CBSAA allows the networks to go a little beyond the restrictions of network programming. 

I watch all of super hero shows but I find that I fast forward past all of the boring fight scenes to get to the much more interesting talking scenes. 

Discovery would be dead on CBS within 2 years at most. On CBS all access, it has a chance to last much longer. And why should CBS give away what is potentially its most valuable product?

| This.

Plus Network is a 110% guarantee for bad quality. Dumbed down mainstreamish mass appeal shit. Stuff even people with an IQ below 75 have no trouble understanding, and/or people with the worst taste you can imagine.

I don't remember a single network show from the last 15 years or so that I found inspiring or challenging AND lasted for more than 2 seasons.

What a whiney article that offers nothing.  It is just...I WANT STAR TREK NOWWWWW!!!!

Jeezow.  The problem here is that fanbases of all kinds have become so entitled these days. And since everyone and their mother is allowed to write snarky articles about their complaints about a TV show not being ready for air yet, we get thousands of them questioning what is going on behind the scenes on a show that had an uphill battle the moment they said they were making new Star Trek...because fans always want more and they will always start from the standpoint that if it isn't 100% what they are used to and want back, then they will hate it.  Fanbases can be exhausting. 

Where is the show? Well they started with a fairly unattainable launch date, maybe because CBS is used to making standard Police procedurals and not big sci-fi properties that require lots of big new sets being built and CG.  They even slapped together a CG test/tease to just prove that they are working on it, which gave people an idea that it was further into development than it ever was.  They then delayed because pre-production took longer than expected, and yes Fuller decided or was asked to leave, which inevitably caused a bit of delays (or for all we know he was the early cause of delays, and he was asked to step down so they can get on with it...who really knows?), and so delayed until the Fall.  They've started production, they are trying to get it made...and now there is a possible Writer's Strikes which could delay things even further.  It may not be going smoothly, or maybe things have come together better than we realize it just is taking longer than anyone wants.  What will matter is the show, it will arrive, it will come. I mean, Westworld was supposed to premiere in 2015, they delayed and retooled their concept until 2016, when it finally arrived it was a big ol' critical success.  They wanted to get it right.  Maybe Trek will be a mess, but optimism is in Trek's DNA, and if fans are starting from a pessimist viewpoint on the show and it's production...then I guess they should find something better suited to their tastes. 

So the show is being made. Maybe not NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW as so many would like...but it is being made. Patience is lost and fanboys and fangirls nowadays. They want their show and they want it now. We can discuss the quality of the show and whether or not it was rushed and suffered accordingly once I am allowed to watch it.  I say rush it here so I can get to complaining about how bad it is faster. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

What a whiney article that offers nothing.  It is just...I WANT STAR TREK NOWWWWW!!!!

Jeezow.  The problem here is that fanbases of all kinds have become so entitled these days. And since everyone and their mother is allowed to write snarky articles about their complaints about a TV show not being ready for air yet, we get thousands of them questioning what is going on behind the scenes on a show that had an uphill battle the moment they said they were making new Star Trek...because fans always want more and they will always start from the standpoint that if it isn't 100% what they are used to and want back, then they will hate it.  Fanbases can be exhausting. 

Where is the show? Well they started with a fairly unattainable launch date, maybe because CBS is used to making standard Police procedurals and not big sci-fi properties that require lots of big new sets being built and CG.  They even slapped together a CG test/tease to just prove that they are working on it, which gave people an idea that it was further into development than it ever was.  They then delayed because pre-production took longer than expected, and yes Fuller decided or was asked to leave, which inevitably caused a bit of delays (or for all we know he was the early cause of delays, and he was asked to step down so they can get on with it...who really knows?), and so delayed until the Fall.  They've started production, they are trying to get it made...and now there is a possible Writer's Strikes which could delay things even further.  It may not be going smoothly, or maybe things have come together better than we realize it just is taking longer than anyone wants.  What will matter is the show, it will arrive, it will come. I mean, Westworld was supposed to premiere in 2015, they delayed and retooled their concept until 2016, when it finally arrived it was a big ol' critical success.  They wanted to get it right.  Maybe Trek will be a mess, but optimism is in Trek's DNA, and if fans are starting from a pessimist viewpoint on the show and it's production...then I guess they should find something better suited to their tastes. 

So the show is being made. Maybe not NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW as so many would like...but it is being made. Patience is lost and fanboys and fangirls nowadays. They want their show and they want it now. We can discuss the quality of the show and whether or not it was rushed and suffered accordingly once I am allowed to watch it.  I say rush it here so I can get to complaining about how bad it is faster. 

^
This.  All of it. 

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I mean, Westworld was supposed to premiere in 2015, they delayed and retooled their concept until 2016, when it finally arrived it was a big ol' critical success.  They wanted to get it right.

Your overall comment has resonance with this in particular. Producers a while back basically asked viewers to stop picking it apart and guessing because someone announced that they knew where S@ was going to go so they had to re-tool it.

No matter what there's going to be a ton of picking apart of WW or Trek. It can't be stopped. Both sets of producers just need to do the best that they know how to do and let the reception be what it is. In that vein, WW's producers shouldn't have changed a thing.

I'm done waiting for Trek in that I'm not even thinking about DSC. I'll probably find some excitement again when it has a solid date. Until then, it's going to do what it's going to do.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Your overall comment has resonance with this in particular. Producers a while back basically asked viewers to stop picking it apart and guessing because someone announced that they knew where S@ was going to go so they had to re-tool it.

No matter what there's going to be a ton of picking apart of WW or Trek. It can't be stopped. Both sets of producers just need to do the best that they know how to do and let the reception be what it is. In that vein, WW's producers shouldn't have changed a thing.

I'm done waiting for Trek in that I'm not even thinking about DSC. I'll probably find some excitement again when it has a solid date. Until then, it's going to do what it's going to do.

A watched kettle never boils.  ;)

Beats being so wrapped up in it, all you end up with is frustration. :) I'm finding I'm too old for that level of fanboyism.