Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

DISCOVERY Delayed Again ? No Release Date ?

59 posts in this topic

It appears DISCOVERY has been delayed again, according with today's new interview with  CBS Interactive president Marc DeBevoise at Vulture.com

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/cbs-all-access-good-fight-star-trek.html

Gus

Here's an excerpt from the interview :

I have to ask you about Star Trek: Discovery. It’s been delayed a bit, and you parted ways with Bryan Fuller. You still haven’t announced a premiere date, or even a launch window. Where is that right now? And how big of deal is that going to be?
 

It’s going great, I’ve actually been up there [to the set]. It is, you know, phenomenal. It is huge. And we’re very excited about the content, the creators, the actors, all coming together. As you said, we’re not tied to any specific release date. It’ll be there when we’re ready to do it, and when we feel it’s in a great place. We’re not worried about anything here. We’re excited, and we’ll have more specifics as we get closer to what will likely be the release dates.

 

Is it likely going to be the fall?
 

We’re not stating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No release date doesn't mean delayed again. They are definitely into production. Just means they don't have the set time yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeBevoise did confirm that CBS will be sticking to their strategy of releasing episodes weekly (as they have for their first original show The Good Fight) as opposed to the Netflix model of releasing entire seasons at once. The first season of Star Trek: Discovery is set to have 13 episodes. Production started in Toronto at the end of January. As TrekMovie recently reported, production on episode 102 wrapped at the beginning of this month. Something is wrong.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

DeBevoise did confirm that CBS will be sticking to their strategy of releasing episodes weekly (as they have for their first original show The Good Fight) as opposed to the Netflix model of releasing entire seasons at once. The first season of Star Trek: Discovery is set to have 13 episodes. Production started in Toronto at the end of January. As TrekMovie recently reported, production on episode 102 wrapped at the beginning of this month. Something is wrong.

Gus

Maybe they do what they've always done, and production order differs from the release order?

Plus, due to its serialized nature, they are likely producing different episodes parallel. When, say, episode 102 is "wrapped up", that doesn't mean 108 can't be 85% finished already... :laugh:

Edited by Sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how the interview justifies your conclusion that the series is delayed again.  CBS is being careful about not stating a release date because they already have "delayed" it twice and gotten flack from fans for it.  It'll be ready when it is ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I don't see how the interview justifies your conclusion that the series is delayed again.  CBS is being careful about not stating a release date because they already have "delayed" it twice and gotten flack from fans for it.  It'll be ready when it is ready.

Not to mention that it isn't operating on the network's schedule or a fixed release date.   Maybe #101 and #102 might also refer to a feature length-pilot, and pilots often take longer to complete.   It's a matter of working all of the bugs out.  Again, I'd rather they take their time and deliver a higher quality product than rush a half-baked one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they ever even HAVE a release date in the first place...? I mean if you have no release date then saying "this means another delay" just because someone doesn't want to name a release date is... a little illogical? Or am I missing the point...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Did they ever even HAVE a release date in the first place...? I mean if you have no release date then saying "this means another delay" just because someone doesn't want to name a release date is... a little illogical? Or am I missing the point...?

I thought it was between sometime this fall and whenever they finish. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I thought it was between sometime this fall and whenever they finish. :laugh:

Yeah that was what I gathered as well. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS wanted it for September, but I dont think it will be ready till then.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

CBS wanted it for September, but I dont think it will be ready till then.

Gus

Well, it really doesn't matter if it'll be September or November.

It certainly won't be much later, because as we all know, shooting has started long ago. Even *IF* there were starting troubles, they should be solved by now and the rest of the season will probably go smoothly.

 

Why, on earth, do you constantly have to be so negative, Gus? It doesn't just feel like you don't care about the show (which is fair enough), but that you want to ruin it for everybody else, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

CBS wanted it for September, but I dont think it will be ready till then.

Gus

If they are releasing it weekly, then they don't need the whole thing done by then. They need the first episode and so on wrapped up. Doctor Who takes 9-10 months to shoot. Often not wrappimg shooting on the whole season until just before the premiere of episode one. It is April. They have time to get the post production done on the two episodes shot and complete a few more by September...and they can keep shooting ad they premiere...because, again, it isn't released for binging, it is released weekly. 

It really does feel like you are hoping to fan flames of discontent here Gus. Post negative stuff as much as you want, but you are drawing more negative conclusions than the content of the articles you post actually include. You have stated that you don't care about Trek anymore, and you've already made it clear you will probably watch the forst episode but seem to have already concluded that you will hate it. Just seems like rooting for failure. I can only guess to say "I told you so!" if it comes and it isn't great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Fan flames of discontent ? Not even close, different to my disdain with JJ TREK, I am willing to give DISCOVERY  a chance once debuts here on Netflix. Yeah, I hate prequels and reboots, but hey, Nick Meyer and Kristin Beyer are involved in the writing, so who knows ? My spider-sense is not tingling in this case.........Iam in the wait and see mode. Sorry if my messages are sounding full of negativity.............maybe its my bad English LOL

Gus

PS  And yep, I dont care for Trek these days, the exception being the documentaries I am working, but hell, I have to check DISCOVERY, with the same open mind I saw ENTERPRISE first season and STAR TREK BEYOND, two productions which hugely dissapointed me as a viewer.

Edited by GustavoLeao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenman said:

If they are releasing it weekly, then they don't need the whole thing done by then. They need the first episode and so on wrapped up. Doctor Who takes 9-10 months to shoot. Often not wrappimg shooting on the whole season until just before the premiere of episode one. It is April. They have time to get the post production done on the two episodes shot and complete a few more by September...and they can keep shooting ad they premiere...because, again, it isn't released for binging, it is released weekly. 

It really does feel like you are hoping to fan flames of discontent here Gus. Post negative stuff as much as you want, but you are drawing more negative conclusions than the content of the articles you post actually include. You have stated that you don't care about Trek anymore, and you've already made it clear you will probably watch the forst episode but seem to have already concluded that you will hate it. Just seems like rooting for failure. I can only guess to say "I told you so!" if it comes and it isn't great.

 

13 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Fan flames of discontent ? Not even close, different to my disdain with JJ TREK, I am willing to give DISCOVERY  a chance once debuts here on Netflix. Yeah, I hate prequels and reboots, but hey, Nick Meyer and Kristin Beyer are involved in the writing, so who knows ? My spider-sense is not tingling in this case.........Iam in the wait and see mode. Sorry if my messages are sounding full of negativity.............maybe its my bad English LOL

Gus

PS  And yep, I dont care for Trek these days, the exception being the documentaries I am working, but hell, I have to check DISCOVERY, with the same open mind I saw ENTERPRISE first season and STAR TREK BEYOND, two productions which hugely dissapointed me as a viewer.

 

Kenman~

Gus has as much right to his opinion as anyone else on this board.   He's not coercing others to feel any other way than they do; he's just remarking how he feels.   There have been many times where we all have gotten a 'negative vibe' off of a forthcoming project (justified or not) and this board allows us the freedom to express that.   I don't necessarily see that Gus is fanning flames.   Given that Gus felt gravely disappointed by JJ Abrams' Star Trek (a view I don't necessarily share, but respect), I can understand some apprehension about a new ST project (after all, Alex Kurtzman is listed as a co-creator).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, anything Kurtzman and Orci works, give me the creeps. But hey, Meyer, Beyer and even Rod Roddenberry are involved so I will give DISCOVERY, a s I said in my previous post, an open mind  and watch it on Netflix later this year. If its good, perhaps I will care for Trek again, if its not great at all.....well, there you are, it will not change my mind on current Star Trek.

Thanks, Sehlat, but is okay for kerman to offer his opinion on my posts, I respect his opinion.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Oh yeah, anything Kurtzman and Orci works, give me the creeps. But hey, Meyer, Beyer and even Rod Roddenberry are involved so I will give DISCOVERY, a s I said in my previous post, an open mind  and watch it on Netflix later this year. If its good, perhaps I will care for Trek again, if its not great at all.....well, there you are, it will not change my mind on current Star Trek.

Thanks, Sehlat, but is okay for kerman to offer his opinion on my posts, I respect his opinion.

Gus

You're welcome Gus.  And I respect Kenman too.  

But I never did get the feeling you were trying to coerce or fan flames with your opinion; you were only stating it.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

You're welcome Gus.  And I respect Kenman too.  

But I never did get the feeling you were trying to coerce or fan flames with your opinion; you were only stating it.   

 

I think thats pretty accurate. I dont wanna be the guy who did fan flames on the Omega Sector.

I love in here better than I loved the TrekWeb board LOL Thats serious !

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not attacking Gus, let me make that clear. I even stated that he is well within his rights and all to post negative stories about the show. I just don't see the need to post items and spin them towards the negative in areas that weren't there. He didn't give a release date, but the title of the thread is basically "Delayed AGAIN!?" It seems a bit cynical is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No harm done, kenman.  You were just expressing your feelings towards my not-so-positive attitude, thats fine, lets move on.

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenman said:

I am not attacking Gus, let me make that clear. I even stated that he is well within his rights and all to post negative stories about the show. I just don't see the need to post items and spin them towards the negative in areas that weren't there. He didn't give a release date, but the title of the thread is basically "Delayed AGAIN!?" It seems a bit cynical is all.

To quote the great attorney Jimmy McGill, "It's Saul Good, man."  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the way Paramount promote ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT and TNG first season in 1987. Great TV ads, great updates in STARLOG and STAR TREK OFFICIAL FAN CLUB MAGAZINE, so I hope CBS does the same for DISCOVERY.

Man, the below promo for FARPOINT (which appeared in the VHS of STAR TREK IV THE VOYAGE HOME) was (and still is) epic and made me more excited for TNG than ever. STARDATE 41153.7 : 75 years have passed since the days in which the original crew of the USS Enterprise explored the unknown wonders of the universe.....Now, a spectacular new Galaxy starship, 8 times larger and light years ahead of technology, has been designed.......
.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

I loved the way Paramount promote ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT and TNG first season in 1987. Great TV ads, great updates in STARLOG and STAR TREK OFFICIAL FAN CLUB MAGAZINE, so I hope CBS does the same for DISCOVERY.

Man, the below promo for FARPOINT (which appeared in the VHS of STAR TREK IV THE VOYAGE HOME) was (and still is) epic and made me more excited for TNG than ever. STARDATE 41153.7 : 75 years have passed since the days in which the original crew of the USS Enterprise explored the unknown wonders of the universe.....Now, a spectacular new Galaxy starship, 8 times larger and light years ahead of technology, has been designed......

 

That is an outstanding promo.  I would wet my pants if I saw a Discovery promo like that.  The silence is killing me!  I can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love the TNG COUNTDOWN promos - well done, Paramount ! I imagine the excitment this caused in 1987 !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

I also love the TNG COUNTDOWN promos - well done, Paramount ! I imagine the excitment this caused in 1987 !

 

My guess is that when CBS had enough footage they'll start leaking promos of DSC.  

As Picard says in S1's The Last Outpost, "Patience...patience."  ;)

I think one of the things that has really hurt DSC was releasing that launch teaser of the ship at last year's Comic Con; I think it misled many to believe that the show was further along than it really was.   That promo was a 'proof of concept' shot and was never intended to be seen as a sign of the finished product.  But since it looked somewhat polished, it felt like they were already doing post-production on the pilot when, in fact, they hadn't even CAST the thing yet.  

And now, almost a year later fans are wondering what the is taking so long when the 'finished' shots of the ship were already being shown at Comic Con last summer (?).   So even though fans know intellectually that the show was barely off of the drawing board at that stage (summer of 2016), that spacedock shot kinda whetted the collective fan base's appetite prematurely.   It's like we were all tricked into sitting down to eat when the cook hasn't even bought the ingredients for dinner yet...

Personally I'm not angry at CBS; I understand it was Comic Con and the 50th anniversary panel, so they felt compelled to show SOMETHING, but IMO they weren't ready to show anything and they should've held off till they were...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this at today's headlines at TrekMovie.com.......

One thing that is definitely high on the minds of all the executives at CBS (and pretty much everyone in Hollywood) is a possible strike by the Writers Guild of America. The latest contract (which itself was only concluded after a strike) is about to expire, and talks resumed this week between the studios and the guild to craft a new one. If a deal isn’t finished by the end of the month then the WGA will go on strike. Just today the WGA released a video urging members to vote to authorize a strike. This doesn’t necessarily mean things are headed to a work stoppage, but could be a form of getting leverage for the talks.
 
While production on Star Trek: Discovery could continue with any scripts that were already completed before a strike is declared, eventually they will run out of material to shoot. A prolonged strike could easily push the premiere date yet again.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0