Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI Trailer Online - POSSIBLE SPOILERS

On 8/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, prometheus59650 said:

Rey is quite a hot Jedi, in my observation.

Luke ain't lookin' too shabby either.

The Force is good for skin tone apparently. 

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yoda didn't look a day over 500.

It’s that Dagobah humidity; good for the pores...:yoda:

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Looking forward to this and REALLY hoping it's good.

Disney’s given me little reason to doubt their stewardship of Star Wars.

Hell, I just finished S2 of “Rebels” and it really kicked into overdrive by the end of year 2.  Head and shoulders above the Clone Wars. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Hell, I just finished S2 of “Rebels” and it really kicked into overdrive by the end of year 2.  Head and shoulders above the Clone Wars. 

So many people on the internet still seem to relish slamming Disney and lauding Lucas.

Disney really seems to be on the ball and interested in handling the franchise well while, to be honest, I think Lucas's singular success was American Graffiti. He was the luckiest man alive with Star Wars. Left to his own devices we get "Jedi" and the prequels. Given the reins of "Raiders," we get Crystal Skull.

When it comes to the technology of film and presentation he's earned every bit of praise, but as a filmmaker he kind of sucks.

So many people on the internet still seem to relish slamming Disney and lauding Lucas.

After the prequels and the first Clone Wars movie, I just can’t relate to that mindset. 

Disney really seems to be on the ball and interested in handling the franchise well while, to be honest, I think Lucas's singular success was American Graffiti. He was the luckiest man alive with Star Wars. Left to his own devices we get "Jedi" and the prequels. Given the reins of "Raiders," we get Crystal Skull.

When it comes to the technology of film and presentation he's earned every bit of praise, but as a filmmaker he kind of sucks.

He’s technologically forward-thinking; I see him as something of a Steve Jobs of filmmaking.  But he lacks serious fundamental skills in storytelling.  He got really lucky with SW77; and Empire was largely handed off to other writers and director Irvin Kershner.   ROTJ was, for me, where the troubles started; a redundant story (returning to Tatooine, returning to Dagobah, a second Death Star, etc), cutesy teddy-bears, etc.  

While I certainly enjoy the original trilogy more than the prequels (mostly for the first two movies), it was at the end of the OT trilogy where rot started to creep in.  The prequels only advanced it.  

I shudder to think what kind of Star Wars movies we’d have now if Lucas were still running it all.  

Disney has taken those elements that fans loved about Star Wars and enhanced them (the lived-in universe feel, down-to-earth characters, more visceral dueling, etc); some of it may seem a bit ‘retro’ to Lucas, but that’s what we (the audience) fell in love with.    He can keep Gungans and pirouetting Jedi ballet. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

After the prequels and the first Clone Wars movie, I just can’t relate to that mindset. 

He’s technologically forward-thinking; I see him as something of a Steve Jobs of filmmaking.  But he lacks serious fundamental skills in storytelling.  He got really lucky with SW77; and Empire was largely handed off to other writers and director Irvin Kershner.   ROTJ was, for me, where the troubles started; a redundant story (returning to Tatooine, returning to Dagobah, a second Death Star, etc), cutesy teddy-bears, etc.  

While I certainly enjoy the original trilogy more than the prequels (mostly for the first two movies), it was at the end of the OT trilogy where rot started to creep in.  The prequels only advanced it.  

I shudder to think what kind of Star Wars movies we’d have now if Lucas were still running it all.  

Disney has taken those elements that fans loved about Star Wars and enhanced them (the lived-in universe feel, down-to-earth characters, more visceral dueling, etc); some of it may seem a bit ‘retro’ to Lucas, but that’s what we (the audience) fell in love with.    He can keep Gungans and pirouetting Jedi ballet. 

Neither can I. It's almost like a sort of deification. It's like they don't even remember the cinematic messes he actually created.

As for the OT, I simply will never accept the idea of spear-wielding teddy bears beating laser rifles and armored vehicles. It's like the Romans storming Omaha Beach and winning.

At some point after TFA, Lucas said of it, in something of a smarmy way, "Well, it's certainly something fans would enjoy," as though it's not the film he would have made for that reason and I just thought, "You're a billionaire a few times over. If you wanna make $200M home movies, go right ahead, but if you want other people to pay money they have to factor in."

And that's what the prequels feel like to me: the movies HE wanted to see.

On 9/1/2017 at 5:22 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Good, innit? :) 

12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Good, innit? :) 

Oh yeah.

That two-part S2 finale blew my socks clean off.  

Colin Trevorrow Was Reportedly Fired From STAR WARS: EPISODE IX Due To Being "Difficult"

According to reports, in addition to the lousy The Book of Henry reception, Colin Trevorrow's over-inflated ego coming off Jurassic World may have resulted in him being fired from Star Wars: Episode IX

I beat you to that story in the General SW thread already.

Muahahahahahahahahaha.... :)

Anyway, I don't understand how Jurassic World was as monstrous a hit as it was. I didn't think it was all that good. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great.

And....I dunno...if this sort of thing continues I'm really going to start questioning whether or not LF or Kennedy herself aren't the actual problem here.  

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I beat you to that story in the General SW thread already.

Muahahahahahahahahaha.... :)

Anyway, I don't understand how Jurassic World was as monstrous a hit as it was. I didn't think it was all that good. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great.

And....I dunno...if this sort of thing continues I'm really going to start questioning whether or not LF or Kennedy herself aren't the actual problem here.  

I thought JW was a perfectly fine summer popcorn movie, but nothing more.  It wasn't anything terribly special.  And sometimes that's okay.  Not every movie has to be "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Godfather II" but I don't think it JW was the kind of movie that would automatically grant someone keys to the Lucasfilm kingdom.

It was a decent popcorner, but nothing too revelatory.  Frankly, I enjoyed it about as much as JP III (which I also liked, but wasn't overly in love with).

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I thought JW was a perfectly fine summer popcorn movie, but nothing more.  It wasn't anything terribly special.  And sometimes that's okay.  Not every movie has to be "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Godfather II" but I don't think it JW was the kind of movie that would automatically grant someone keys to the Lucasfilm kingdom.

It was a decent popcorner, but nothing too revelatory.  Frankly, I enjoyed it about as much as JP III (which I also liked, but wasn't overly in love with).

I can agree with that all around. I just don't see that it was $1.6B good...or whatever the insane number was that it tallied.

On 9/4/2017 at 9:04 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

Oh yeah.

That two-part S2 finale blew my socks clean off.  

I had not caught much of either season when the season finale came on. My family was riveted watching it. Honestly, that season finale was better than all the prequels. 

S3 is a bit of letdown, imho, but still good. 

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI - Destinies Are Fulfilled In This Jaw-Dropping Final Trailer ! Watch it now and beware of a few SPOILERS !

5 hours ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

It's a great time to be a Star Trek and a Star Wars fan. With Star Trek: Discovery and Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, it's a great year for both franchises.

Very much so!

Sign in to follow this