Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Enceladus - the Basic Ingredients For Life

10 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Confirmation of several theories that have been doing the rounds, but very, very cool. Cassini strikes again!

http://gizmodo.com/saturns-moon-enceladus-has-the-basic-ingredients-for-li-1794296870

I saw this on The Planetary Society report the other day; there's obviously geothermal heat with Saturn's gravitational/tidal forces (the same process that drives Io's vulcanism in Jovian orbit).  So, you have heat, water, and now methane as well.  Hmmm....wouldn't it really be something if life also took root in the dim reaches of the outer solar system?  It would certainly extend our old textbook definitions of orbital "Goldilocks zones"; hell, life might even survive in the nooks and crannies of comets, for all we know...

11 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I saw this on The Planetary Society report the other day; there's obviously geothermal heat with Saturn's gravitational/tidal forces (the same process that drives Io's vulcanism in Jovian orbit).  So, you have heat, water, and now methane as well.  Hmmm....wouldn't it really be something if life also took root in the dim reaches of the outer solar system?  It would certainly extend our old textbook definitions of orbital "Goldilocks zones"; hell, life might even survive in the nooks and crannies of comets, for all we know...

Sure, it just needs to go to go to sleep for a long time when it gets cold - which is possible, I guess, if you're a microorganism. Imagine cycles of waking and sleeping, lasting thousands of years! 

Enceladus considerably ups the chances of the likelihood of life. Once it's confirmed... which may actually happen within our lifetimes... the odds for finding it elsewhere will also go up, and all bets are off. This is huge. YANA...  

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Sure, it just needs to go to go to sleep for a long time when it gets cold - which is possible, I guess, if you're a microorganism. Imagine cycles of waking and sleeping, lasting thousands of years! 

Enceladus considerably ups the chances of the likelihood of life. Once it's confirmed... which may actually happen within our lifetimes... the odds for finding it elsewhere will also go up, and all bets are off. This is huge. YANA...  

Sleeping for thousands of years...as my wife might say, a nice nap. :giggle:

And yes, if Enceladus or Europa prove positive for even crude microorganism that means life spontaneously occurred twice in ONE little humdrum solar system.  The odds for life throughout the universe automatically double

I'm very excited about the prospects for the James Webb telescope; it should be able to give us a significantly better picture of exoplanets and their atmospheric compositions.  Big flags for possible carbon-based life (as we know it) would be methane and oxygen.  I'm stoked!

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sleeping for thousands of years...as my wife might say, a nice nap. :giggle:

And yes, if Enceladus or Europa prove positive for even crude microorganism that means life spontaneously occurred twice in ONE little humdrum solar system.  The odds for life throughout the universe automatically double

I'm very excited about the prospects for the James Webb telescope; it should be able to give us a significantly better picture of exoplanets and their atmospheric compositions.  Big flags for possible carbon-based life (as we know it) would be methane and oxygen.  I'm stoked!

Yep, here's to the James Webb's "big eye!" :thumbup:

What is the news here? Didn't we already consider Enceladus and Europa as strong candidates for life? What's in these findings that makes it more likely that we didn't already know?

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

What is the news here? Didn't we already consider Enceladus and Europa as strong candidates for life? What's in these findings that makes it more likely that we didn't already know?

Because the Cassini probe has confirmed the existence of molecular hydrogen; a basic opponent in the 'building blocks' of life; this is very, very new.  And up till now, it was only speculated; this is evidence.

There's also talk of Ganymede and even Titan being possibilities for life. I even heard the other day they now think there is liquid water on Neptune. We really do need to send a probe to Uranus and Neptune as there is so much more we can do now than what Voyager 2 did when it went by them. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0