Sign in to follow this  
JLook84

New user saying hello

JLook84   

Hey, everyone.  I've been looking to get into a Trek community for some time now, and after a few days of lurking, this seems like a really good one.

A bit about myself...I watched TNG when it was on when I was a kid and loved it.  I never went any further into the franchise until the 2009 movie, which I know has a shaky reputation with some fans, but I loved it and its sequels.  After the first movie, I watched all of TOS, TNG, some of TAS, and I'm now working my way through DS9.  I've enjoyed all of the Trek that I've encountered this far, but my heart is with TOS.

I have a sizable collection of TOS novels and I'm also an avid hobby board gamer, and I enjoy a number of the Trek tabletop games.

Excited to meet everyone!

Hi there, welcome aboard!

I'm the resident TNG fan here I guess. Have a bit of a soft spot for ENT and TOS as well tho. :) 

JLook84   

It took some time for me to get through TNG, pretty much due to the first two seasons being what they are, but I do really love it.  I just finished my rewatching of it last summer, but I could already stand to go back.  If I had to pick a favorite Trek character, it would probably have to be Worf.

1 hour ago, JLook84 said:

Hey, everyone.  I've been looking to get into a Trek community for some time now, and after a few days of lurking, this seems like a really good one.

A bit about myself...I watched TNG when it was on when I was a kid and loved it.  I never went any further into the franchise until the 2009 movie, which I know has a shaky reputation with some fans, but I loved it and its sequels.  After the first movie, I watched all of TOS, TNG, some of TAS, and I'm now working my way through DS9.  I've enjoyed all of the Trek that I've encountered this far, but my heart is with TOS.

I have a sizable collection of TOS novels and I'm also an avid hobby board gamer, and I enjoy a number of the Trek tabletop games.

Welcome aboard JLook84!

Please post often and prosper.  :)

35 minutes ago, JLook84 said:

It took some time for me to get through TNG, pretty much due to the first two seasons being what they are

That's...kind. :)

Though there is some good stuff in Season 2 ("Elementary, Dear Data," "Unnatural Selection," "Contagion")

Not to mention the classic "Shades of Gray." :P

27 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

That's...kind. :)

Though there is some good stuff in Season 2 ("Elementary, Dear Data," "Unnatural Selection," "Contagion")

Not to mention the classic "Shades of Gray." :P

I used to dislike S1, but I've come to appreciate it in a whole new way; it has a wild, experimental 'anything goes' quality that later seasons of the show kinda lost IMO (save for the exemplary S6).  I'm not saying the experiments were all successful, but it was fascinating to watch.  And some of the misfires have great semi-comedic value. 

I have a whole new enjoyment of S1 (think I can safely thank Mr. Picard for that... :giggle:).

The more folks dislike the first two TNG seasons, the more I fall in love with all these utterly brilliant trash-with-class episodes. :P 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

The more folks dislike the first two TNG seasons, the more I fall in love with all these utterly brilliant trash-with-class episodes. :P 

I used to hate them....now I love them.  When I bought S1 on blu ray, one of the first I popped in was "Angel One." It's pure laughter fuel, so help me. :laugh: :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I used to dislike S1, but I've come to appreciate it in a whole new way; it has a wild, experimental 'anything goes' quality that later seasons of the show kinda lost IMO (save for the exemplary S6).  I'm not saying the experiments were all successful, but it was fascinating to watch.  And some of the misfires have great semi-comedic value. 

I have a whole new enjoyment of S1 (think I can safely thank Mr. Picard for that... :giggle:).

There are a couple of bright spots in S1, like, "We'll Always Have Paris," but, then there are things like the horrible, "Naked Now" or "Haven."

It's a miracle that show lasted long enough to get consistently good.

JLook84   

There are a few genuinely brights spots in the first two seasons, I'm sure there's a couple Klingon episodes in there and that's almost always good in TNG.   I definitely have a handful of guilty pleasures in there as well, which ones I'd rather not say. :P

Just now, JLook84 said:

There are a few genuinely brights spots in the first two seasons, I'm sure there's a couple Klingon episodes in there and that's almost always good in TNG.   I definitely have a handful of guilty pleasures in there as well, which ones I'd rather not say. :P

I own S1 on DVD as well, and I agree.  "Broken Bow" is one of my favorite pilot episodes in all of ST.  I also liked S2's "Dead Stop" "Carbon Creek" and a few others.   

Corylea   

Hi, JLook84!  I'm only here intermittently, myself, but everyone is always very nice when I do stop by; you couldn't have picked a better place to join.

My heart also belongs to TOS, and I'm also working my way through some of the other Trek series.  I have a love/hate relationship with the reboot movies, because on the one hand, I thought they changed Kirk's and Spock's characters for the worse, but on the other hand, those movies have spurred folks like you to check out TOS.  So I'd rather have those movies than not have them, but I groan and complain about them, too. ;)

Welcome, and I hope you have a great time here!

10 hours ago, JLook84 said:

Oh please, DO tell your guilty pleasure episodes! People here are very much used to weird episode favorites! ;)

24 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Oh please, DO tell your guilty pleasure episodes! People here are very much used to weird episode favorites! ;)

And even a few odd duck ST movies... :P

There are no wrong answers here. ;)

Sim   
16 hours ago, JLook84 said:

Hey, JLook, nice to meet you! :laugh:

JLook84   

Thanks, everyone!

6 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

So I kind of like "Justice."  It's both hilariously bad but there's a decent story in there somewhere, underneath the questionable costuming choices.

As far as movies go, I'm unapologetic in my liking of Into Darkness, TMP, and Nemesis.

13 hours ago, rta-man said:

Welcome JLook84!  We're glad to have you aboard.

You mentioned that you enjoy a number of the Trek tabletop games.  Have you played the latest one, Star Trek Adventures?  We have have the latest news about it here:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/03/new-expansions-for-star-trek-adventures-playtesters/

Yeah, I've done a bit of playtesting for STA.  It's pretty good, I'm interested in seeing where the final product goes.

I'm also a *HUGE* fan of Star Trek Ascendancy by Gale Force 9.  No other tabletop game (that isn't an RPG) has captured Trek so well IMO.  Those expansions can't come soon enough.

Edited by JLook84

7 minutes ago, JLook84 said:

Thanks, everyone!

So I kind of like "Justice."  It's both hilariously bad but there's a decent story in there somewhere, underneath the questionable costuming choices.

As far as movies go, I'm unapologetic in my liking of Into Darkness, TMP, and Nemesis.

I agree about "Justice" - it raises interesting basic questions and issues, but, of course, the costumes and the other typical season 1 shenanigans don't leave much room for anything. But there IS an interesting moral dilemma behind the whole thing. 

I like TMP as well. So you're not alone with that one either. :) 

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I agree about "Justice" - it raises interesting basic questions and issues, but, of course, the costumes and the other typical season 1 shenanigans don't leave much room for anything. But there IS an interesting moral dilemma behind the whole thing. 

I like TMP as well. So you're not alone with that one either. :) 

I love TMP; it is, IMO, the last genuine science fiction Star Trek movie.  It's not perfect, but it is utterly unique and I admire that.  I still remember seeing it in a darkened theatre and it really conveyed the scale and awesome beauty of deep space better than any ST movie since.  It was almost like going to an observatory planetarium show.   More "2001: A Space Odyssey" than "Star Wars." 

And yes, "Justice" had a good premise; the idea of the unjustness of absolute adherence to the letter of the law.   But yeah, somewhere along the way it become "Welcome to the Crazy California Planet..."  :giggle:

Like I've said, I've come to appreciate the wonderful audacity and brazenness of TNG S1; it really did 'boldly go' into some really unusual places.  Even when it didn't succeed, there was always a lot of moxie there...