Mr.Picard

Fan Fic: We'll Always Have Harran (Picard/Q, TNG/Dying Light Crossover) - RATING: R

19 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Cliffhangers are my specialty - it's all the Dallas and Dyasty watching! :laugh: (Seriously people love to yell at me about this in my Picard/Alex story already, the episodes always have mean cliffhangers, and people really get mad about this, lol!)

tumblr_lvm7ndVCia1r1rm6n.gif  :giggle:

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

tumblr_lvm7ndVCia1r1rm6n.gif  :giggle:

I'm honestly trying to tune down the cliffhangers in that other story of mine, but this one just NEEDED a big "who shot JR" ending for its second act. ;)

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm honestly trying to tune down the cliffhangers in that other story of mine, but this one just NEEDED a big "who shot JR" ending for its second act. ;)

Evil child...:P

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Evil child...:P

HEY I'm hurt by all this as well - it wasn't easy to write my poor cinnamon roll getting hurt! :P

14 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

HEY I'm hurt by all this as well - it wasn't easy to write my poor cinnamon roll getting hurt! :P

Okay, you're forgiven... this time. :laugh:

ACT III - THE BIG GOODBYE

"F**k, it's dark in here... are you sure this is the train car his boyfriend said he left him in?"

"He marked the place on the map. This has gotta be it."

"I don't see anything... give me the flashlight."

"There! In the corner!"

"Has he turned?"

"Nah - he'd be all over us if he had."

"Come on, let's get him out of here. This place is giving me the creeps."

Darkness.

"He looks really messed up. No wonder Lena said she needs him back at the Tower to treat him."

"Never mind the effort this is taking, I hope he's worth it to you, Brecken - oh crap, more Virals!"

"Shut up, both of you! Assume your positions - don't let them get at him! I don't want for him to be bitten now that we're almost there!"

Darkness.

"Put him in there. He needs rest."

"Is he conscious?"

"I don't think so... unless you ignored my advice and didn't hit him with the highest dosage before you left the Safe Zone."

"I did exactly as you told me."

"Well then he should be fine."

"What are we going to do with his boyfriend? He keeps nagging at me that he wants to see him."

"I'd let him in here, but he's such a pain in the a** with his attitude, I can't deal with this s**t right now. Tell him to come back in a few hours."

Darkness.

A voice.

"Mon capitaine? Can you hear me?"

Go towards the voice.

Picard slowly opened his eyes - and looked directly into an omnipotent face. "Q...?" he croaked, his voice as weak as he felt, the world around him as shaky as his sight appeared to be.

"I thought you'd never wake up!"

"Where... where... am I...?" Picard tried to blink repeatedly, but the strange feeling of his entire body being stuck in some kind of dense cloud didn't vanish.

"Tower. Sickbay - or whatever they think counts as one. They have this horrible doctor here, I swear she's even worse than Crusher and that takes something -"

"He's awake?" a female voice suddenly interrupted. "I told you to inform me immediately when this happens!"

"Sorry!" Q shot back. "I just thought it would be nice if he saw a familiar face first!"

"He has done so now - which means you can go."

"Who are you to give me orders?" Q complained.

"I'm in charge here, and unless you want to spend the rest of the day unconscious I suggest you get the f**k out of here right now."

Q glared in the direction of the voice but then slowly stood up from the chair on which he had been sitting and walked away.

"Finally," the voice sighed and then the woman it belonged to came into Picard's field of vision and sat down on the chair. "Welcome back to the land of the living dead."

Picard blinked again. "What... what..."

"Don't try to talk," she said gently. "It's a miracle you're awake in the first place - the dosage I gave you was enough to knock out an elephant."

"Do... dosage?"

"Painkillers. The really good stuff." She adjusted the pillow behind Picard's head. "You're really damn lucky, you know that? If your boyfriend hadn't gotten you the help you needed you'd probably have ended up as a rotten corpse in that train car."

Picard opened his mouth in order to say something else, but neither his voice nor his brain seemed to be willing to do so.

"As I said, don't try to talk. Don't worry about the painkillers, they're supposed to make you drowsy so that you rest and your body can heal, especially that shoulder of yours. It was quite a challenge to relocate it - it's definitely gonna be sore for a few weeks."

She looked back at Picard, whose vision had begun to blur even more, and, before he could even try not to, his eyes had closed again and he felt himself drifting back into darkness.

"Have a good sleep. You need it."

Great stuff!  I would love to see DeLancie playing that scene.  I could only imagine him saying 'mon capitaine' gently or compassionately instead of with mockery.   That'd be an interesting side of Q we'd never seen before.

52 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

"They have this horrible doctor here, I swear she's even worse than Crusher and that takes something -"

^  Thanks for the fan service... :giggle: :thumbup:

Once again, a solid chapter and you're keeping me hooked! 

Thank you! *blush*

Yes, I deliberately left it vague just HOW Q says that line, I was hoping for that effect, that people would pick up that Q is definitely WORRIED about his beloved Jean-Luc. It's also typical Q to not really know how to handle things and to launch into a speech about how terrible the doctor is instead of just shutting up and realizing that Jean-Luc is in no condition to argue. :laugh:

And yeah, I SOOOOO couldn't resist Q throwing shade at Crusher. It sounded just like something he would say, so I went with it. :angel_not:

I also deliberately left in the Picard/Brecken hint when it turns out that Brecken orders folks to carry Jean-Luc back to the Tower and they're like "I HOPE THIS IS WORTH IT" and Brecken is like "shut up and concentrate on your jobs and PROTECT PICARD AT ALL COSTS OKAY". I shiiiiiiiiiiiiiip it

AND YES OMG I would LOVE it if they turned this fic into a movie, LOGAN style or something! Granted, it's set between Insurrection and Nemesis but really that was only because I didn't want to set it after Nemesis (because we all know that things that come after Nemesis belong to Jean-Luc and Alex :inlove: ), I'd honestly be fine with them setting this movie after Nemesis. I think deLancie and Sir Patrick would be BRILLIANT in this. And the Dying Light franchise could use a movie as well, so... WHERE DO I HAVE TO SIGN TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN and can I play Brecken

8 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

And yeah, I SOOOOO couldn't resist Q throwing shade at Crusher. It sounded just like something he would say, so I went with it. :angel_not:

^ Why, oh why, would you ever think that Q would disparage the good doctor?  :giggle:

trueq193.jpg

"Mon capitaine?"

Picard slowly opened his eyes and blinked rapidly.

A waving hand appeared in his field of vision. "Are you there?"

"What...?"

"You are." The hand was taken away and replaced by a familiar face.

"Q...?" Picard tried to sit up but was pushed back down almost immediately.

"No, no, no. That terrible doctor made it quite clear to me that you're supposed to stay right where you are."

Picard looked at Q and was pleased to discover that his vision was much better than it had been the last time he had woken up. "What... what exactly happened?"

"Don't you remember? The train car? The Volatile?"

"Vaguely," Picard muttered while his mind tried to put the pieces together - and then he suddenly sat up straight and pushed Q's hand away, ignoring the pain this caused in his left shoulder. "That Volatile was chasing you! Why were you there?!"

"I came to look for you after you had gone missing."

"What?" Picard stared at the entity, his words only slowly registering. "You mean you went out alone? At night? Q, you could have been killed!"

"Is that your way of saying thank you? If so, I'm not impressed."

Picard sank back into his pillow, breathing heavily. "Why didn't you wait until morning? You could have told Brecken or Crane -"

"Oh come on, neither of them would have gone anywhere with me," Q said gruffly. "I had to do this on my own or not at all."

"And almost sacrifice yourself in the process...?!"

"Don't be so melodramatic." Q leaned back on his chair and folded his arms across his chest. "You should be grateful instead - if I hadn't come to get you, no one would ever have found you in that train car. How did you end up in there, anyway?"

"Mostly by coincidence," Picard admitted, relieved about the change of subject - an argument with Q was the last thing he felt up to at this point. "A roof gave in when I jumped on it. I fell and dislocated my shoulder. The noise attracted Virals, so I ran away. Unfortunately, I lost my katana soon after that... and then I saw that train car and thought I'd hide in there and also rest for a while, but the pain became too much..." He coughed. "Do you have a glass of water somewhere?"

"Sure." Q reached over to the bedside table, took the glass of water that was on it and handed it to Picard.

"Thank you." Picard emptied the glass - not without wincing at the recurring pain in his left shoulder - and then handed it back to Q. "How long am I going to have to stay in this bed?"

"That doctor didn't say, and I didn't ask. We're not exactly friends, you know."

Picard smiled - and then he suddenly felt a wave of drowsiness washing over him. "Oh... I think I..."

"What is it?" Q asked worriedly and put the glass back on the bedside table.

"I'm tired all of a sud-"

Before he could say anything else, he had fallen asleep.

"I was afraid this would happen," Lena said from behind and put down the bag that she had had with her on the 'house call' she had just returned from. "He was on high-dosage painkillers for three days. Those meds take their toll." She walked over, took her stethoscope, placed it on Picard's bare chest and listened. "Sounds normal enough... except for one thing."

Q frowned. "What?"

"I've noticed this before - his heartbeat has a strange echo." Lena put the stethoscope away. "If It didn't know better, I'd say his heart is mechanical in some way. But then that's bulls**t, right?"

Q tried to look as innocuous as he possibly could before he answered. "Umm, yes. Absolutely."

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

"I've noticed this before - his heartbeat has a strange echo." Lena put the stethoscope away. "If It didn't know better, I'd say his heart is mechanical in some way. But then that's bulls**t, right?"

^
Nice nod to continuity... :thumbup:

Once again, I like your more intimate, character-driven approach.  

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Nice nod to continuity... :thumbup:

Once again, I like your more intimate, character-driven approach.  

I was waiting for someone to ask "wait, wouldn't Lena notice that Picard has an artificial heart?"... so I decided to address the issue BEFORE this happens. lol (Although most people tend to forget that Jean-Luc has an artificial heart.)

And thank you! I don't think I could write anything else than character-driven stories. I've been doing this for too long to be able to switch to anything else. :laugh: I may be a unique male writer in this regard (most men tend to focus on action-driven fics or at least plot-driven ones and not really very character-driven) but I'm a good old-fashioned shipper who just wants to write some P/Q angst and h/c. :happy: For me, the story revolves around the characters, not the other way around.

9 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I was waiting for someone to ask "wait, wouldn't Lena notice that Picard has an artificial heart?"... so I decided to address the issue BEFORE this happens. lol (Although most people tend to forget that Jean-Luc has an artificial heart.)

And thank you! I don't think I could write anything else than character-driven stories. I've been doing this for too long to be able to switch to anything else. :laugh: I may be a unique male writer in this regard (most men tend to focus on action-driven fics or at least plot-driven ones and not really very character-driven) but I'm a good old-fashioned shipper who just wants to write some P/Q angst and h/c. :happy: For me, the story revolves around the characters, not the other way around.

Amen!  Too true.

Don't change a thing! :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Amen!  Too true.

Don't change a thing! :thumbup:

I didn't mean to slam Trek stories that focus on action, they're just not my thing. I couldn't read them, but I know that there are many (men in particular) who enjoy them. I'd rather sit down and read a nice slash story. I mean you can't have stories that are ONLY driven by characters, they DO need a bit of a plot, but I'd rather write about how Jean-Luc deals with being in love than about how he deals with command decision number zillion. (To combine BOTH is GREAT then, tho!) The show had this all the time, him being in command. It's time for people to meet the REAL Jean-Luc behind the commanding officer. That's my main motivation behind my stories, especially this one since it takes him away from the Enterprise completely, and it's the same thing for my Picard/Alex story arc epilogue I'm working on at the moment - that one has him no longer commanding the Enterprise as well and it shows his family life on Vulcan and then later back in LaBarre, and it has been a very rewarding writing experience even though some of my readers complained about me taking him away from his command chair, haha.

Wanna say that I consistently like all your work and it has, of late it's been nudging me to write more Trek fanfic myself. No one else's characters, as that way I can never be accused of getting the tone wrong. LOL.

Just kinda have to finally decide to finally bite the bullet or not.

But, back to the original point that, this far, your work has never disappointed. :)

13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Wanna say that I consistently like all your work and it has, of late it's been nudging me to write more Trek fanfic myself. No one else's characters, as that way I can never be accused of getting the tone wrong. LOL.

Just kinda have to finally decide to finally bite the bullet or not.

But, back to the original point that, this far, your work has never disappointed. :)

Aww, thank you very much, prom! This really means a lot! :)

I'm also glad I can inspire you to write! And no worries, I know a lot of fic writers who don't go near canon characters because they think they couldn't do them justice, or, like you, don't want to deal with "BUT I THINK THIS CHARACTER WOULD REACT DIFFERENTLY" feedback. Only recently I had to comfort a new fic writer who writes Kirk/Spock and who had to deal with a "but I don't think Kirk would..." person. I told her that some folks seem to LIVE to give fan fic writers poor feedback once their canon characters aren't written in the way THEY think they should be written. I also told her to ignore that person lol So I totally understand your hesitation here! I wouldn't write stories that focus on Riker or Data or Worf or whoever else either since I know I'd make a mistake somewhere along the way and the experts wouldn't like it, lol! (I do okay with them as supporting characters, but having stories that focus on a character is an entirely different thing to tackle.)

Picard slowly opened his eyes and - again - found himself looking at Q. This time the entity did not bombard him him with questions, however - he was fast asleep on a chair next to the bed, and it took Picard a few moments to realize that this was not the only thing that was different: He was no longer in what the Tower considered to be a sickbay, he was sitting in his and Q's bed in their apartment, carefully propped up against the wall by soft pillows. On the bedside table to his right (and well within reach of his good arm) was a plate with a sandwich and a cup of tea next to it. Picard's stomach growled at the sight of the sandwich, so he reached out, took it, ate it quickly - and almost dropped the small cup when he tasted the cold tea he had planned to drink to wash the food down.

It was Earl Grey.

The taste brought memories of the Enterprise, and Picard wondered once more just how much longer Q and he would have to endure Harran.

'We were both almost killed,' he thought grudgingly. 'What more does the Q Continuum want from us?"

Before he could pursue the thought any further, Q stirred on his chair and opened his eyes, a pained expression on his tired face.

"Ow... this chair..." He looked at Picard. "Oh. You're awake."

Picard smiled a little sheepishly and put the now empty tea cup on the bedside table. "I woke up only a few minutes ago. Thank you for the tea and the sandwich."

"It wasn't easy to get Earl Grey in this hellhole."

"I appreciate it." Picard adjusted his position and winced when his shoulder protested by sending a sharp pain through his entire body.

"How bad is it?" Q asked. "The pain, I mean."

"It's managable."

"I would hope so, given what they've put you through with all these atrocious painkillers."

"They do seem to have helped, I'm feeling much better." Picard's face became serious. "Q, we need to talk."

"About what?"

"About why you came after me."

"You aren't going to let this one go, are you?"

"No - because I need to understand. From what I've put together so far, you went out in the middle of the night, right into into a city filled with ravaging zombies and a few even worse creatures, and the only things you had with you were a flashlight and a katana you had no idea how to handle. In short, you risked your life on my behalf, which, frankly, is rather uncharacteristic for you, human or not." Picard sighed. "I simply fail to see your usually rather twisted logic behind such an utterly foolish course of action."

Q shook his head. "It's so typical of you to look for logic when emotions are the issue."

Picard frowned. "I don't understand."

"Of course you don't. You never have." Q slowly got up from his chair, walked up to the window and pulled the orange curtains back, letting morning sunlight into the room.

"Q...?"

"Would you just let me think for a second?" the entity scoffed. "I'm not as good as you are at giving speeches."

Picard frowned again but this time did not say anything.

Q looked out of the window. "Maybe it really is time for me to tell you something I've been dreading to tell you for a long time - even by Q standards."

He turned around and faced Picard.

"I love you, Jean-Luc. That's why I came after you, and that's also why I picked you as my companion for this whole adventure even though I knew being turned into a human would take me to brink of suicide if I wasn't careful."

Picard stared at the haggard man in front of him who had so incredibly little in common with the omnipotent con man in a Starfleet uniform he had gotten to know. "Q... I... I... don't know what to say...."

"Now that's a first," Q muttered. "If I had known that this confession would make you shut up, I'd have made it a long time ago."

"Q, please - stop mocking your feelings."

"What other choice is there for me but to mock them?" Q asked bitterly. "I'm an immortal being, an omnipotent trickster - 'next of kin to chaos', as you yourself have called me. For me to have something as ridiculous as feelings for a mere human is nothing but laughable."

Picard shook his head, ignoring the pain this caused in his shoulder. "As much as I don't understand why you'd choose me of all people, being in love is nothing to be ashamed of."

"The Continuum would beg to differ."

"Since when are you concerned about what the Continuum thinks?"

Q shrugged and then looked at Picard with a slight smile. "You know, mon capitaine, I expected an entirely different reaction from you."

"Oh?"

"Yes... one more along the lines of 'this still doesn't excuse you bringing me here against my will'. And yet here you are in our bed, injured and exhausted, telling me in your softest voice that I should just accept my feelings for you."

"I'm a little baffled by myself as well right now," Picard admitted.

"Looks like we're in the same boat, then."

"Apparently so."

They looked at each other, neither of them knowing what to say when suddenly a bright flash lit up the world around them.

Picard almost lost his balance - he was standing all of a sudden, and he was doing so in an entirely different environment: He was in his quarters aboard the Enterprise, the pain in his shoulder was gone and the chronometer on his desk showed the exact time and date of the night on which he had gone to bed before he had woken up on that street in Harran.

The only thing that looked slightly out of place was a certain katana in his hand.

"Q?" he asked cautiously.

There was no answer.

End of Act III

That admission so fits everything we’ve seen of Q and Picard till now.   Q does love Picard; it’s so obvious in the series that it practically screams for an admission.   This story really scratches that long-festering itch.   Looking forward to the rest (as always), and I’m wondering if Jean-Luc will be allowed to keep that knowledge (?).

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That admission so fits everything we’ve seen of Q and Picard till now.   Q does love Picard; it’s so obvious in the series that it practically screams for an admission.   This story really scratches that long-festering itch.   Looking forward to the rest (as always), and I’m wondering if Jean-Luc will be allowed to keep that knowledge (?).

Thank you! I'm glad you think it fits! :)

That's ultimately why I wrote the story - I wanted for it to do what the show was never able to do due certain circumstances. I don't think the writers would dislike this, actually - they do say these days that they wrote Q with the thought of him being in love with Jean-Luc in mind (and both John de Lancie and Sir Patrick played along - and MORE), so this really just addresses a fact they weren't allowed to openly address on the show. I also didn't want to make a mistake that most P/Q writers make - they all make Jean-Luc fall into Q's arms at some point, all like OH Q I LOVE YOU TOO. That is just... not Jean-Luc at all and this is also where I usually stop reading the fics because it derails from there.

It's only one more chapter aka epilogue but the things you're wondering about will become clear there! (I hope. Some heavy editing is needed and also some time.)

27 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thank you! I'm glad you think it fits! :)

That's ultimately why I wrote the story - I wanted for it to do what the show was never able to do due certain circumstances. I don't think the writers would dislike this, actually - they do say these days that they wrote Q with the thought of him being in love with Jean-Luc in mind (and both John de Lancie and Sir Patrick played along - and MORE), so this really just addresses a fact they weren't allowed to openly address on the show. I also didn't want to make a mistake that most P/Q writers make - they all make Jean-Luc fall into Q's arms at some point, all like OH Q I LOVE YOU TOO. That is just... not Jean-Luc at all and this is also where I usually stop reading the fics because it derails from there.

It's only one more chapter aka epilogue but the things you're wondering about will become clear there! (I hope. Some heavy editing is needed and also some time.)

I will do my best to be patient... :angel_not:

OKAY here it is - the ending! Thanks to all who read this one/were along for the ride! :)

Picard walked into his quarters after a rather unsettling shift - rumor had it there was some sort of trouble on Romulus - and was so deep in thought that he almost bumped into a chair that had suddenly appeared right in his path.

Q, who was sitting on that very chair, raised his hand in greeting. "Bonsoir, mon capitaine."

Picard tensed even more. "Q."

"What's wrong? You really don't seem thrilled to see me alive and well."

Picard sighed. "I am relieved, I just have something else on my mind."

"Romulus?"

"Yes - but I'm sure it's of no concern to you."

"You're right, it's not." Q stretched his long legs. "Don't you want to know what I've been up to in the past few weeks?"

"I'm sure you're going to tell me all about it, whether I want to hear it or not," Picard said dryly.

Q shook his head and then glanced at the door to Picard's bedroom. "I saw that you hung up the katana on the wall in there. Why the bedroom, of all places?"

Picard leaned against his desk. "I wanted to avoid unnecessary questions about why I suddenly keep a katana in my quarters, and since my bedroom is the only room I don't tend to grant my crew access to..."

"You could just have thrown it into your closet," Q remarked.

"I could, yes. But, given the memories that are attached to it..."

"I didn't think you'd find them pleasant."

"I did meet quite a few spirited people in Harran."

"Like Harris Brecken."

Picard frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"He gave you that katana and you two shared something... well, special."

"You know...?"

"Of course I know, now that I'm omnipotent again." Q stood up from the chair. "I had absolutely no idea during our time in Harran, however."

"There wasn't really anything between us," Picard said quickly. "It was more a mutual understanding of the burdens of leadership."

"But you ended up in bed one evening."

"Q..."

"Oh, it's alright. I understand the need for intimacy much better now that I went through some of it myself."

Picard sighed. "Can we get to the point, please? I'm sure you didn't come here to talk about my time with Harris Brecken, or did you?"

"Definitely not. I'm here to give you the entire story, now that I can. You do deserve an explanation."

"I deserve an explanation? Now that's a statement I thought I'd never hear from you."

"I have my moments of weakness," Q retorted - and then froze.

"What is it?"

"This isn't the right place - we're both too used to yelling at each other in here."

"What do you me-"

A bright flash and Picard found himself in a familiar spot: Q and he were standing on the roof of Harran's Tower, looking down at the city and its bay below. A sudden panic grabbed him - not again! - but it only lasted the few seconds that it took him to notice that both Q and he were still wearing Starfleet uniforms.

"Q, what -"

"Don't worry, Jean-Luc, we won't be here for very long. I also made sure no one is going to disturb us like they used to whenever you came up here to be alone."

"They had a way of doing that," Picard agreed and then looked at Q. "So... what is this explanation that you wanted to give me?"

"I love how you always get straight to the point." Q folded his arms across his chest. "The short version is that I was punished, chose you as a companion for my punishment and then, once it was over, I got my powers back."

"A few weeks here in Harran? That was all?"

"You're thinking in far too linear terms - the concept of time has no meaning to us Q, remember? Besides, the Continuum was after something else entirely: They wanted a certain course of action from me."

Picard thought for a moment before he answered. "The only significant course of action I remember you taking was risking your life for me that one night."

Q shook his head. "That wasn't it - I've done this 'sacrificing myself for Picard and his crew while being human' thing before. It's nothing new."

"Then what was it?" Picard pressed.

"The confession, of course."

"You mean..." Picard cleared his throat. "That you... you..."

"That I love you, yes." Q looked at him. "You can say it, you know?"

Picard cleared his throat once more. "I... umm... I don't understand what good that confession did. As you yourself told me, the Continuum isn't very fond of Q falling in love with mortal beings, so why would they encourage a confession like this?"

"You don't know what bottled up feelings can do to a Q."

Picard frowned. "Wait... you mean... the behavior you spoke of, the one they punished you for by sending you here... you did that because of your feelings for me?"

"Not intentionally, but... yes."

"But the Continuum couldn't know you'd pick me as your companion for your punishment. The entire thing would have been meaningless if you had chosen someone else."

Q rolled his eyes. "Really, mon capitaine, both we and the Continuum know there's no one who'd help me the way you would. As much as you hate to admit it - I'm not exactly unimportant to you."

Picard took a deep breath. "Why did they choose a place like Harran? Why didn't they simply throw us into a completely snowed-in house in Earth's Rocky Mountains or something like that?"

"Because additional obstacles to overcome together make the desired confession even more heartfelt."

"What if I had been killed before you could say anything?"

"I'd have been forced to live out the rest of my human life here in Harran," Q said and looked down at the city. "There's no way the Continuum would have given me my powers back - I'm sure you can imagine to at least some degree what a heartbroken Q is capable of doing."

"I'm not sure I want to," Picard muttered and looked down as well. "What's going to happen to Harran now? Will it still be a Q Continuum punishment zone?"

"No, but it won't cease to exist either, I made sure of that. I knew it would be important to you."

"What about the virus?"

"They'll eventually find a cure."

"I'm relieved to hear that."

"I was hoping you would be."

They both continued to look down at the city until Picard spoke up again. "You know, Q... there's one thing you haven't asked me."

"Oh? What's that?"

"How I feel about you now that I know how you feel about me. Is it because you know the answer already?"

"I don't have to read your thoughts if that's what you mean." Q looked at Picard. "As severely tempted as you might be, you're too convinced that order cannot love chaos."

Picard looked back at him. "True. But here? In this place? Who knows what might have happened."

Q frowned. "I wonder what it says about us that it took a zombie-infested city and the constant threat of death to make us realize that we can manage to have a normal conversation."

"I guess it means we both have rather strong personalities."

"You could say that." Q looked back down at the city. "Strange... now that I can leave here anytime I suddenly no longer want to, at least not now."

Picard followed his gaze. "Neither do I, actually."

"We... umm... we could simply... umm... stay up here for a little while longer?"

"I wouldn't mind."

They looked at each other again and then back down at the City of Harran below whose roofs were bathed in sunlight and maybe - just maybe - also a little hope.

tumblr_oqvkej30mh1uutgwwo3_500.gif

(gif by heartfulloffandoms)

:thumbup:

LOVE how you skipped over the mechanics of their eventual escape/release and just cut to the good stuff; the reunion afterward.  I wish more ST stories were like that; skip over the dull parts of the 'rescue/escape' etc and just cut to the good stuff; the real heart of the story lay in its effect on the characters and how it changes them, not the how and why.   We know going into a ST or any typical, weekly series that the major characters aren't going to die (unless you're watching Walking Dead or Game of Thrones), so the suspense regarding their survival tends to be artificial.  I'm much more interested in the final result; how did this event change our characters?  Like Picard clutching that Resikan flute.   We know he'll be back in his 'normal' life at the end of the story somehow; what's more interesting is what that experience did to him.   You've done just that. 

Well done, Mr Picard.  

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

:thumbup:

LOVE how you skipped over the mechanics of their eventual escape/release and just cut to the good stuff; the reunion afterward.  I wish more ST stories were like that; skip over the dull parts of the 'rescue/escape' etc and just cut to the good stuff; the real heart of the story lay in its effect on the characters and how it changes them, not the how and why.   We know going into a ST or any typical, weekly series that the major characters aren't going to die (unless you're watching Walking Dead or Game of Thrones), so the suspense regarding their survival tends to be artificial.  I'm much more interested in the final result; how did this event change our characters?  Like Picard clutching that Resikan flute.   We know he'll be back in his 'normal' life at the end of the story somehow; what's more interesting is what that experience did to him.   You've done just that. 

Well done, Mr Picard.  

I'm glad the Q Continuum allows me to skip unnecessary mechanics and details - all I had to do was to write about how they ended Q's punishment by simply putting Jean-Luc back onto the Enterprise. Sure I could have written about Q standing before some kind of trial and whatnot, but it was the much better option to simply let him explain it all to Jean-Luc. This really gave me the chance to get some relationship development as well (although I fear things won't last for too long, they're too used to arguing with each other, lol).

I REALLY did want for the katana to have a similar meaning to him as the flute! Of course it's not as heavy impact-wise, but it still reminds him of a place far away from the Enterprise where he spent a lot of time with a person who loved him. And it reminds of him Harris Brecken, I am so planning on writing a ficlet about these two, I'm not even ashamed This is absolutely why he didn't just throw it into his closet or something, no, he displays it in his bedroom. (Might come in handy with possible nightly intruders, even.)

And yes, I'd say the Picard/Q relationship is now sorted out, and it's up to them what they make of it from here on. :happy: I'm so glad you liked this!

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm glad the Q Continuum allows me to skip unnecessary mechanics and details - all I had to do was to write about how they ended Q's punishment by simply putting Jean-Luc back onto the Enterprise. Sure I could have written about Q standing before some kind of trial and whatnot, but it was the much better option to simply let him explain it all to Jean-Luc.

Precisely!  They’re demigods; so writing them plucking Q & Picard out of danger really isn’t surprising.   The experience itself, while atmospheric & effective, is really a means to an end; to put these characters in a new place in their relationship with each other.  It did just that. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I REALLY did want for the katana to have a similar meaning to him as the flute! Of course it's not as heavy impact-wise, but it still reminds him of a place far away from the Enterprise where he spent a lot of time with a person who loved him.

^
I got that and appreciated it. ;)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm so glad you liked this!

Indeed I did! :thumbup:

To be fair the Continuum only pulled them out of Harran because Q finally confessed his love to Jean-Luc, lol. The danger didn't matter to the Continuum or they would have intervened when Q went out at night to look for Jean-Luc. All they wanted was for Q to finally tell Jean-Luc that he loves him so that he stops to unintentionally misplace entire solar systems because of bottled up feelings. :laugh:

I was tempted to let Jean-Luc have an existential crisis over this, y'know, the whole "it's MY fault that Q went way over the top and was punished" but in the end I decided against it - it's Q's feelings for Jean-Luc that are the issue, not Jean-Luc directly, he didn't encourage or mislead or seduce Q and then ditch him or anything, after all. His mere existence is enough to make someone fall in love how well I know this one