Mr.Picard

Fan Fic: We'll Always Have Harran (Picard/Q, TNG/Dying Light Crossover) - RATING: R

102 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'd never try... :P

I've tried, but die-hard shippers aren't exactly good at listening, no matter if they're slash or het shippers. It's a little frightening sometimes. I can't wait for complaints from Picard/Q fans that will go like "why aren't they a couple yet in your story?" :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I've tried, but die-hard shippers aren't exactly good at listening, no matter if they're slash or het shippers. It's a little frightening sometimes. I can't wait for complaints from Picard/Q fans that will go like "why aren't they a couple yet in your story?" :laugh:

I like your most subtle approach... it feels more in-character for both.  :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I like your most subtle approach... it feels more in-character for both.  :thumbup:

They will discuss THE FEELS, no worries, but it isn't the usual "Q confesses his love and then Picard does the same and they live happily and omnipotently ever after" that 99.9% of all P/Q writers succumb to. I couldn't write this, even if I wanted to. They're not meant for this. At heart, Picard/Q is an angsty pairing - a lot like Picard/Jack Crusher in its doomed-from-the-start approach, actually.

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

They will discuss THE FEELS, no worries, but it isn't the usual "Q confesses his love and then Picard does the same and they live happily and omnipotently ever after" that 99.9% of all P/Q writers succumb to. I couldn't write this, even if I wanted to. They're not meant for this. At heart, Picard/Q is an angsty pairing - a lot like Picard/Jack Crusher in its doomed-from-the-start approach, actually.

Right, and that's a lot more interesting than a 'happily ever after' story anyway.   HEAs are great in real life (I'm in one right now... hehe) but they suck in drama. :laugh:

I admire your restraint in showing the reality of how those two relate to each other; it isn't some 'suddenly everything's rosy' story, like so many slash pairings of odd couples.

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Right, and that's a lot more interesting than a 'happily ever after' story anyway.   HEAs are great in real life (I'm in one right now... hehe) but they suck in drama. :laugh:

I admire your restraint in showing the reality of how those two relate to each other; it isn't some 'suddenly everything's rosy' story, like so many slash pairings of odd couples.

HEY, Picard/Alex are a happily ever after couple. :P (But not overly romantic. More like "relying on each other with a deep sense of love and affection". Like a real couple would. I can't stand this idea that some fic writers have that couples must drown in romance at all times.)

Thank you! I guess I also have to thank the setting of the story for that, though. Harran is hardly the place for a honeymoon. :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

HEY, Picard/Alex are a happily ever after couple. :P (But not overly romantic. More like "relying on each other with a deep sense of love and affection". Like a real couple would. I can't stand this idea that some fic writers have that couples must drown in romance at all times.)

Thank you! I guess I also have to thank the setting of the story for that, though. Harran is hardly the place for a honeymoon. :laugh: 

^
Unless zombies and post-apocalypses are one's idea of romance... maybe Worf would like it if he ever remarries.  :laugh:

And yes, Picard/Alex are a HEA couple as well; though their initial romance suffered a little from Picard's "I've-got-to-be-the-captain-at-all-times" thing; I'm glad he loosened up on his own reins a bit. :thumbup:

25 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Unless zombies and post-apocalypses are one's idea of romance... maybe Worf would like it if he ever remarries.  :laugh:

And yes, Picard/Alex are a HEA couple as well; though their initial romance suffered a little from Picard's "I've-got-to-be-the-captain-at-all-times" thing; I'm glad he loosened up on his own reins a bit. :thumbup:

Worf would love it in Harran! He could use his bat'leth on all the zombies, it's the perfect weapon for such an environment. I can even see him going out at night to hunt down every last Volatile, lol. (Dying Light has an extension called "The Following" - which I did not include in my story - where you can actually clear out Volatile nests. It's scary and stressful as hell - Worf would ADORE it!)

The Picard/Alex relationship would not have been believable if Jean-Luc had fallen head over heels for Alex, Starfleet duty be damned and whatnot. A lot of writers make this mistake, they underestimate his dedication towards Starfleet and how, for him, Starfleet and personal romance are initially incompatible. It takes someone with a lot of patience, someone who's willing to both give Jean-Luc time to adjust AND to gently nudge him towards the fact that maybe, just maybe, he's allowed to be a captain who also happens to be in love. ;) 

ACT II - A Volatile Situation

Q looked at the old-fashioned clock that Picard had hung up on the wall shortly after they had moved into the apartment.

What was it that he had said?

"To make it easier for you to keep track of time."

When had that been?

Three weeks ago?

Four?

Ugh, linear time was such a dreary concept.

Despite his rather antagonistic feelings towards the clock, Q could not stop looking at it. The reason for this, however, was not that he was having trouble with minutes and hours - it was the fact that it was after 8:30 PM already and only half an hour to go before it went dark in Harran; and that, so far, Picard had not returned from an errand Brecken had sent him on earlier.

Q sighed nervously and looked around in the apartment that had become some kind of home.

Or rather, a comfortable prison cell.

Sure, the door was unlocked, he was free to leave at any given time - the problem was where to go.

Into the hallway outside?

There were people, and Q was not good with people.

It wasn't even really his fault: As an omnipotent being, initiating and ending a conversation was done on his terms entirely - something that did not work in Harran or with humans in general. If they wanted to talk, they wanted to talk, and there was very little one could do to stop them once they'd started.

At least if one lacked the power of the Q.

Q knew that every single torturous human moment he had gone through in the past few weeks was all part of his punishment: He was supposed to be not only trapped in Harran but also in a human body that was as dysfunctional as the city, at least by Q's standards -

A loud knock on the door almost made him jump and for a moment he was relieved that Picard had finally returned... until he remembered that the good captain had a key and didn't need to knock.

He stood up from the couch, walked up to the door, opened it - and wished he hadn't. In front of him stood Kyle Crane, an expression on his face that Q had never thought he'd ever see: Sympathy.

"I came to tell you something."

"What is it?" Q asked cautiously.

"It's Picard," Crane said. "He was supposed to pick up some supplies from a Safe Zone. He never arrived there."

Q stared at Crane's bearded face, the words barely registering. "What... what happened?"

"I'm not sure. I traced the most likely route that he took but there are literally dozens of ways to get to that Safe Zone. I found only this." Crane reached behind his back and pulled out the katana that Picard had been given by Brecken a few days after they had moved into their apartment.

There was blood all over it.

Q stared at it, his mind reeling.

"I searched the immediate vicinity of the place where I found it but there was nothing, except for an entire bunch of Infected."

"Is... is that his... blood?" Q stammered.

"I don't know."

"Where did you find it?"

"Near the train yard Safe Zone - if that means anything to you."

Q said nothing.

Crane shifted uncomfortably. "Look man, I'm sorry -"

"It's alright," Q suddenly heard himself say although he had no idea how or why. "I'll take this if you don't mind."

Crane shrugged and handed him the katana. "Sure. Again, sorry. Picard was a good man."

Q nodded absent-mindedly, closed the door, walked back into the apartment and stopped in front of the couch. He stared at the katana and the dried blood, unable to process what it all meant - until a sudden wave of despair, loss and terror hit him.

Jean-Luc.

Dead.

Or worse.

No.

It couldn't be.

Surely the Continuum would intervene...?!

They had to!

Q looked up at the ceiling, expecting to see someone or at least hear a voice  - but there was nothing out of the ordinary, and the only sound was the soft ticking of the clock on the wall.

Once again, I like the slow evolution of Q starting to become genuinely concerned and even heartsick over the prospect of losing Jean-Luc Picard.  Very well done.

I also love the irony of Crane casually and unknowingly addressing Q as "man" (as anyone might do); if only he knew... ;)

Keep it up!  Really enjoying this! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once again, I like the slow evolution of Q starting to become genuinely concerned and even heartsick over the prospect of losing Jean-Luc Picard.  Very well done.

I also love the irony of Crane casually and unknowingly addressing Q as "man" (as anyone might do); if only he knew... ;)

Keep it up!  Really enjoying this! :thumbup:

He won't get LESS concerned, I think I can say as much!

And thank you! As always I left room for ficlets here (like how they dealt with Q's initial shock), but then, I needed to drive the story forward here, and a little time jump seemed like a wise thing to do. 

And yeah I chuckled as well when I wrote the "man" remark. But then, Q IS human, so TECHNICALLY Crane isn't wrong, lol!

17 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

And yeah I chuckled as well when I wrote the "man" remark. But then, Q IS human, so TECHNICALLY Crane isn't wrong, lol!

No, he's not wrong, but if only he knew... :P

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

No, he's not wrong, but if only he knew... :P

Honestly I'm not sure it would make a difference. Crane still wouldn't like Q and he'd still make that known. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Honestly I'm not sure it would make a difference. Crane still wouldn't like Q and he'd still make that known. :laugh:

Yeah, even if Q were 'his old self' I suspect Crane has been through so much he wouldn't be impressed.  He'd probably do a Sisko on him...:P

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, even if Q were 'his old self' I suspect Crane has been through so much he wouldn't be impressed.  He'd probably do a Sisko on him...:P

He would. And Q would stay away from him just as he stayed away from Sisko. They just don't go well together. ;)

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

He would. And Q would stay away from him just as he stayed away from Sisko. They just don't go well together. ;)

Q was Picard's nemesis; Sisko got his own with Gul Dukat. 

Q and Sisko went together like a fish and a bicycle. 

14 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Q was Picard's nemesis; Sisko got his own with Gul Dukat. 

Q and Sisko went together like a fish and a bicycle. 

It's true. He didn't fit and I'm glad he didn't reappear...but it was worth it to see Sisko popping him.

A loud roll of thunder outside woke Q up. He sat up on the couch, momentarily disoriented until he realized what had happened:

He had fallen asleep.

'Wonderful. Trust a human body to fail right in the middle of a crisis.'

He slowly stood up from the couch and looked at the clock on the wall: It was 1.15 AM.

'At least I didn't sleep all through the night.'

He rubbed his tired eyes and then his gaze fell on the katana that he had put on the couch table earlier, right next to the map of Harran that Picard had spread out there a few days ago when he and Brecken had gone over possible locations for additional Safe Zones.

'Why did he involve himself in all this, anyway? What is it with him wanting to help all the time? Look at what it got him!'

Q frowned - anger was the last emotion he had expected from himself.

But... was it really anger?

'Come on - you know he only accepted Brecken's offer because he knew you wouldn't make it out there on the streets. He did it so that you could be safe. It's your fault that he's dead.'

Q sat down on the couch and clenched his hands into fists, refusing to believe what his mind had just told him. Who said Picard was dead? The blood on the katana didn't mean anything, and the fact that there didn't seem to be a body also suggested that something else had happened.

But... what?

An exhausted Picard, bleeding and weak, backed into a corner by a bunch of Infected, calmly accepting his inevitable fate -

'No!'

Q jumped up from the couch and ran his hands through his hair. Human imagination was not something he had come to enjoy in the past few weeks - it had a way of bringing up certain facts about his feelings for Picard - and all he wanted was to use his powers to distract himself before things became completely unbearable. However, here he was, helpless against a merciless onslaught of horrifying mental images of Picard dying; or worse, not really dying and staggering through the streets of Harran as a mindless zombie instead...

He banged his fist against his forehead.

'I have to know what happened.'

He glanced at the window against which rain was now pouring and sat down on the couch again, reached out his hand, took the katana from the table and then looked at the map on which the train yard Safe Zone that Crane had mentioned had been clearly marked.

How hard could it be to get there and take a look around?

Nice!   A whole Q chapter!  I like it, especially since we don't usually get too deep inside of Q's mindset.  

This was a welcome moment of introspection.  Look forward to the next one! 

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Nice!   A whole Q chapter!  I like it, especially since we don't usually get too deep inside of Q's mindset.  

This was a welcome moment of introspection.  Look forward to the next one! 

Yeah the second act of this story is written entirely from Q's perspective - it's much more effective to have Q (and the reader!) worry about Jean-Luc than to write about what's happening to him.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yeah the second act of this story is written entirely from Q's perspective - it's much more effective to have Q (and the reader!) worry about Jean-Luc than to write about what's happening to him.

The inference is usually far more terrifying than just having it spelled out for the reader.   Less is usually more.   Well done!  

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The inference is usually far more terrifying than just having it spelled out for the reader.   Less is usually more.   Well done!  

Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! The next chapter will be much longer. With a little more action.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! The next chapter will be much longer. With a little more action.

Me, waiting...

imagegif :giggle:

'Maybe this was not such a good idea after all,' Q thought and pressed himself against the roof railing of the low building onto which he had somehow managed to climb after a rather exhausting run from the Tower that had involved another hellish elevator ride, a lot of yelling from people who had tried to stop him and then, finally, quite a few streets filled with Infected through which he had been forced to sneak since his climbing skills still left a lot to be desired.

And yet, despite all these odds, he had managed to end up where he was now, right next to the train yard... and without any idea as to what to do next because he had never thought this far ahead.

'Jean-Luc would scold me for being so incredibly foolish, I'm sure.'

He raised his hand and wiped the rain off his face - human bodies were even more irritating when wet! - and peered over the railing and at the train tracks below, cursing the fact that the train yard wasn't as well-lit as he had expected it to be. Human eyes were not made for darkness, which was why he had brought a flashlight that, unfortunately, had turned out to be unreliable since he had been forced to switch it off again and again due to its habit of attracting Infected.

But still, the Infected weren't the worst problem: Ever since Q had left the Tower he had had a feeling of... well... something being out here. He had not forgotten the warnings about going outside at night, but, in true Q fashion, he hadn't taken them very seriously.

The sound of breaking glass and angry hissing from below made him snap to attention. He stood up and leaned over the railing in order to find out what had upset the Infected, who, until now, had simply been standing there - and almost yelped when he saw what was happening: A heavy creature was walking by, pushing the Infected aside. It was huge, its shoulders broad and its naked skin ripped in countless places. Spikes had grown out of its back and its jaw seemed to have been broken and then ripped apart, making it look even more menacing.

A Volatile.

Q didn't dare move in any way - if that thing looked up and saw him...

Better not think of that.

The Volatile, however, seemed unaware of the possible meal nearby. It walked past, following the train tracks until it vanished into the darkness.

Q breathed a sigh of relief and then eyed his surroundings once more. He knew he had to move on, the Infected below were getting more and more restless - and besides, he had a train yard to search.

He swung his legs over the railing, sat down on it for a moment and eyed a balcony below that was almost on ground level.

'How much of a fall can human legs handle?'

He shook his head - no use to speculate, he had to get off the roof somehow - and slid down the railing, fell for a few agonizing moments and then landed on the balcony without incident.

The Infected - now very much next to him - froze for a second when they heard the noise and then began to move towards him. Q quickly swung himself over the balcony's railing and had just broken into a run when he suddenly heard an inhuman roar that was so terrifying that it made him freeze in mid-movement.

He turned his head and found himself looking directly into the hollow eyes of the Volatile that had appeared from behind an abandoned train car.

It had been waiting for him.

Q wheeled around and ran away while the Volatile roared again - no doubt alerting others of its kind - before it came after him. Q could hear its heavy breathing after only a few meters and realized he would not be able to outrun it, he wasn't even close to being fast enough -

"Hey! Over here!"

He almost stopped when he heard the familiar voice that appeared to have come from further ahead.

Picard!

He wasn't dead!

Q ran into the direction of the voice, the Volatile still gaining on him - he almost felt its rotten breath on his neck - and then he saw Picard. The captain was standing in the doorway of a train car that, right now, looked like the safest place in all of Harran.

The entity put his last bit of strength into the few meters that separated him from the train car and then he reached it, jumped onto it and squeezed himself through the door. Picard slid it shut behind him immediately, and a few milliseconds later the Volatile began to bang its head (or fists?) against the door from the outside.

"Please tell me that thing can't get in here!" Q yelled, breathing heavily.

There was no answer.

Q reached for his flashlight, switched it on and swung it around in the pitch-black darkness of the train car. It took him a few seconds to locate Picard, who had sat down on a dirty mattress next to the door. He was leaning against the wall, his eyes were closed and his left arm was pointing away from his body in a strange angle, his face was bruised and wet with sweat and his clothes were covered in mud.

Q forgot about the door against which the Volatile still kept banging and walked over to Picard. "Jean-Luc?"

Picard coughed - and fell to the side and onto the mattress.

Q stared at him.

This was not good.

Not good at all.

He knelt down, put the flashlight on the floor, reached for Picard and pulled his upper body into his arms. "Mon capitaine?"

Picard's eyelids fluttered. "Q...?"

"Yes, it's me. What happened?"

A shiver ran through Picard's body - and then he went limp.

"Jean-Luc? Jean-Luc!"

END OF ACT II

Oooooooohhh, how can you leave us hanging like that?  :laugh:

13 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Oooooooohhh, how can you leave us hanging like that?  :laugh:

Cliffhangers are my specialty - it's all the Dallas and Dyasty watching! :laugh: (Seriously people love to yell at me about this in my Picard/Alex story already, the episodes always have mean cliffhangers, and people really get mad about this, lol!)