Mr.Picard

Fan Fic: We'll Always Have Harran (Picard/Q, TNG/Dying Light Crossover) - RATING: R

102 posts in this topic

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

The proper order of blue, white and red... :giggle:

"Mister Data, the French language for centuries on Earth represented civilization."

I so want to work in a "of course I've heard of Parkour, it was actually invented in France" joke. :laugh:

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

"Mister Data, the French language for centuries on Earth represented civilization."

I so want to work in a "of course I've heard of Parkour, it was actually invented in France" joke. :laugh:

I'd never presume to tell an artist/writer what to do, so... :angel_not: :giggle:

32 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'd never presume to tell an artist/writer what to do, so... :angel_not: :giggle:

I'll see if I can find a way to not make it TOO corny and fanboy-ish. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'll see if I can find a way to not make it TOO corny and fanboy-ish. ;) 

Make it so... :giggle:

* Okay, I deserve whatever I get for that one... * :P

tumblr_nyvzjt9hvz1rkvl19o1_400.gifcaptainsholiday158.jpg

8 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Make it so... :giggle:

* Okay, I deserve whatever I get for that one... * :P

tumblr_nyvzjt9hvz1rkvl19o1_400.gifcaptainsholiday158.jpg

Come on, you'd LET him punch you because he's too adorable to be mad at :laugh: 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Come on, you'd LET him punch you because he's too adorable to be mad at :laugh: 

Just...not the face, okay?  Thank you, Sir Patrick.  Loved your performance in Hamle--THUNK! :laugh:

Picard slowly opened his eyes, rolled onto his back - and froze when he realized that he couldn't pull at his blanket.

Wha-

Oh.

Right.

There was no blanket.

He was in a sleeping bag on a mattress on a floor that belonged to a living room that was located inside a house that stood in the middle of a zombie-infested city.

And it was all Q's fault.

Q...?!

He sat up quickly.

"I thought you'd never wake up," Q remarked and Picard turned his head in order to look at the entity, who was sitting on the couch, an old-fashioned newspaper titled VOICE OF HARRAN in his hands.

"What time is it?"

"How should I know?" Q muttered without looking up from his newspaper. "Aren't you the one with Starfleet survival training that makes you able to look at the sky and tell the time?"

Picard ignored the insult and glanced at the window in the back of the room. The planks that sealed it allowed for a small amount of light to shine through, enough to determine that the night was over.

He slowly pulled himself out of the sleeping bag and cringed when he noticed his dirty socks. "I really wish there were fresh clothes in here somewhere..."

"Tell me about it - I had no idea just how badly humans start to smell once they've been exposed to a humid environment," Q said and put his newspaper away. "Didn't Crane say something about taking showers in that other place... what did he call it? The Tower?"

"I think so, yes."

In that moment the hatch in the ceiling opened, a pair of black boots appeared, and then Kyle Crane walked down the wooden stairs. "Morning."

"Good morning," Picard said and quickly put his boots on.

"Didn't you say you'd bring us weapons?" Q asked, eyeing Crane suspiciously - the man was still carrying the same weapons as he had the night before.

"Change of plan," Crane said. "Brecken wants to talk to you."

"Brecken?" Picard echoed.

"The leader of the Tower and the guy who's one in charge of all the Safe Zones in the Slums. I spoke to him last night and he said he'd like to see you and have a talk."

Picard slowly stood up. "About what?"

"How to make yourselves useful, for one thing." Crane raised his hand in which he was holding a huge bloody knife. "I cleared the path to the Tower on my way here, so if we leave now we shouldn't run into any Infected, at least not on the roofs."

"Are you suggesting that we jump from house to house?" Q exclaimed from the couch.

"Yes - it's the only way to avoid the Infected in the streets," Crane replied. "And really, Parkour isn't that difficult once you've gotten the hang of it."

"Parkour...?"

"A technique that enables a person to move around using whatever they find in their immediate vicinity," Picard said. "I'm familiar with it - it was invented in France, actually."

"Yeah, the French really came up with something useful there for a change," Crane agreed, ignoring the massive glare from Picard.

"I don't care who invented it," Q complained. "To me this whole idea of jumping from roof to roof and climbing up houses sounds more like a perfect suicide method."

Crane waved his hand. "You won't have to worry about it."

Q frowned. "Why not?"

"Because you're not coming with us." Crane pointed at Picard. "It's just gonna be him and me."

"What?!" Q exclaimed. "Why?"

"Because he has the necessary physical strength," Crane said calmly. "You would only slow us down, and I for one would like to arrive at the Tower before it gets dark."

Q glared at him. "I'm not going to stay here alone!"

Crane rolled his eyes and then looked at Picard. "Is your boyfriend always this insistent?"

Picard felt his cheeks redden in embarrassment. "He is not my boyfriend."

Crane raised an eyebrow. "Really? I could have sworn you two are an item."

"We most certainly are not."

"Whatever," Crane shrugged. "Fact is, he can't come with us. You've seen how horrible he is at climbing, and I suspect he's even worse at jumping."

"Don't talk about me as if I wasn't sitting right here!" Q demanded. "I'm not going to say this again: I will not stay here alone!"

Picard sighed. "Mr. Crane, didn't you say that the Tower is the safest place in Harran?"

"Yes...?"

"Then it would make sense to take us both there, wouldn't it? If you take only me you will have to come back for him at some point."

Crane made a face and then pointed his knife in Q's direction while his gaze remained focused on Picard. "Okay - but he's your responsibility. I'm not gonna pull him out if he ends up in the middle of a bunch of Infected."

Picard nodded. "Very well."

"Do I get a say in th-" Q began but stopped immediately when he saw the way in which both Picard and Crane glared at him. "Alright, alright. Fine. I get the message. Suicide it is."

Once again, another good chapter!  Well done. 
Especially loved this line...

"Yeah, the French really came up with something useful there for a change," Crane agreed, ignoring the massive glare from Picard.

:giggle: :laugh:

I could feel Jean-Luc's glare from across time and space.

25 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once again, another good chapter!  Well done. 
Especially loved this line...

:giggle: :laugh:

I could feel Jean-Luc's glare from across time and space.

I couldn't resist having Crane throw some serious shade. :laugh: Poor Jean-Luc. :laugh: I considered having him start an argument with Crane, but Crane has no patience for this kind of thing, he'd just walk out and be like "whatever, find your own way to the Tower, I don't care". :laugh: 

Glad you liked the chapter! :)

4 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I couldn't resist having Crane throw some serious shade. :laugh: Poor Jean-Luc. :laugh: I considered having him start an argument with Crane, but Crane has no patience for this kind of thing, he'd just walk out and be like "whatever, find your own way to the Tower, I don't care". :laugh: 

Glad you liked the chapter! :)

Very much so.  :thumbup:

Picard slowly climbed up the concrete stairs and looked back at Q behind him, who was doing what he had been doing ever since their journey over the rooftops had begun: Gasping for air. It seemed even worse now, which was not surprising since the last part of that very journey had consisted of running down a dirty street, ducking away from Infected who had tried to grab them from left and right. They had finally reached a broad square and to the right had been the stairs that led up to the Tower, one of two huge apartment buildings that seemed strangely out of place, given the nature of the rest of the much smaller houses in the Slums.

Crane jumped over the railing next to them, apparently completely unaffected by their rather exhausting journey. "It's not a good idea to stand around here. The Infected avoid this place usually, but if you hang around long enough doing nothing, they will come."

Picard looked at the open doorway in front of him that was illuminated by UV light - which made sense since it seemed to lead into absolute darkness, Volatiles would probably love it in there - and for a moment he frowned at the lack of additional precautions, but then he saw wires and pieces of what had once been a metal fence on the floor. His gaze followed the wires to a strange box on the wall - and only then did he realize what they meant: The fence piece on the floor in front of the entrance could be electrified if necessary.

"Are... we there?" Q gasped from behind.

"We are," Picard confirmed and eyed the wires suspiciously: If the people of the Tower wanted to get rid of Q and him, this would be the perfect chance to do so.

"Then why... don't we... go in?"

Picard said nothing while Crane jumped onto a wooden plank that someone had thrown over parts of the fence piece in a half-hearted attempt to make it look safer, walked over it and then turned around. "He's right. What are you waiting for?"

"Nothing," Picard muttered, his eyes still fixed on the wires.

Crane followed his gaze. "Oh, come on - really? Do you think I'd go through all this trouble of getting you two here just to fry you right in front of the Tower?"

"Probably not," Picard said slowly - and then he cautiously stepped forward, walked onto the plank and into the darkness of the hallway.

Q sighed and then followed him without another remark, which was rather unusual, but Picard certainly wasn't complaining. In fact, there were few things to complain about in general: The stench inside the building wasn't as bad as outside, the temperature was a lot less aggravating and it was not as dark as Picard had feared it would be. After a few meters Crane turned to the left and they all walked into another blue UV light area and stopped in front of what had apparently once been part of a stairway but was now only a concrete wall that had the word SAFE  written on it, along with an arrow that pointed upwards.

Picard looked up and saw a man in camouflage standing right on top of the stairway wall, a rifle in his hands.

"Yo Crane," the man called. "Long time no see."

"I was here only last night," Crane shot back.

"Really? I didn't notice."

"You're getting sloppy. Anyway... is Brecken there? I'm bringing the new guys."

"Yup. Should be in his office."

"Good." Crane jumped up and hauled himself over the edge in one fluent move.

Picard looked up once more, jumped, grabbed the edge and then pulled himself up. It took him a few attempts to haul himself over the edge and once he had made it he could not help but look around briefly. To his left, wooden shelves had been set up, stacked with supplies. Further down the dimly-lit hallway he could see a window in front of which a few people were sitting, playing cards.

"Hey, are you coming or not?"

Picard turned around and looked at Crane, who had knelt down and reached out his hand towards Q, who was still standing in front of the wall.

"I thought we were there," the entity said, a blank look on his face.

Picard frowned - apparently Q's silence had not been the result of him concluding that it was better to comply for now: It suddenly seemed a lot more likely that he was in the early stages of severe shock. He quickly knelt down next to Crane and reached out his hand as well. "Come on, Q. It's just one more jump."

Q looked at him and for a brief moment Picard was actually worried he wouldn't recognize him. Then, however, Q seemed to remember where he was, took a few steps back and then ran up to the wall, jumped and allowed for both Picard and Crane to pull him up.

The three of them got up from the floor and Crane - as usual - wasted no time. "Elevator's right around the corner," he said and pointed at the window at the end of the hallway. "Take it, go to the 19th floor and follow the arrows on the walls that say HEADQUARTERS."

"Aren't you coming with us?" Picard asked.

Crane shook his head. "Got something to talk about with Spike down here."

"That elevator... is it safe?"

"Safe enough. Just don't try to get off on any floor below the 17th."

"Why not?"

"You'll meet things you don't want to meet."

"You mean there are Infected in this building?" Picard asked, horrified.

"Yup. We needed some space for newcomers, so we cleared out floors 17 and 18 two weeks ago, but there's no way in hell we're gonna be able to clear out all the others. It takes time and manpower, and we always lose a lot of people. Fighting the Infected outside is difficult enough, but facing a bunch of Volatiles in dark apartments where you can neither see properly nor use anything larger than a small machete is another thing entirely. Clearing out an entire floor is a suicide mission and most people aren't willing to risk their lives for something they personally won't benefit from."

"Reasonable," Q muttered from behind.

"I really gotta go now, though. Spike's waiting," Crane said. "Good luck with Brecken."

"Thank you for taking us here, Mr. Crane."

"You're welcome."

Picard watched Crane leave and then turned towards Q. "Are you alright?"

The entity shrugged.

"I'll take that as a half-hearted 'yes'," Picard said and turned towards the end of the hallway. "Let's go, I really would like to get this conversation with Mr. Brecken over with as soon as possible."

The two of them began to walk towards the elevator in silence, and Picard could almost feel the glances they were attracting. He knew it was reasonable for everyone to be suspicious - he would have felt the same way - and yet it was still rather unnerving, so much that he was glad when Q and he had finally walked around the corner and found themselves standing in front of two doors between which a chair had been set up.

A man with a rifle in his hands was sitting on it, looking at them suspiciously. "Where are you headed?"

"Mr. Brecken," Picard replied.

"Ah, you're the guys Crane told us about." The man looked at both of them from top to bottom, obviously scanning them for weapons. "Alright... just don't even think about causing any sort of trouble up there."

"We have no intention of doing that," Picard assured him.

"Good. Have a nice trip then," the man said, stood up from his chair and opened the left door for them.

Picard cringed when he saw the rather bad shape the elevator cabin behind it seemed to be in, but he knew there was no other choice. He stepped in and turned around, expecting to see Q walking in as well -

The entity had remained outside.

"What is it?" Picard asked.

Q looked at the cabin, the expression on his face one of something that Picard recognized as barely concealed panic. "I don't like this."

"I don't like it either, but we have to go to Mr. Brecken."

"That's not what I mean." Q pointed at the cabin. "I don't like this."

Picard frowned - and then he remembered a moment from so long ago that it almost seemed like another lifetime: Worf, dragging a complaining Q towards a turbolift. "Oh. I forgot. You're claustrophobic."

Q looked away.

"Hey, make up your mind!" the man who was still holding the door open complained. "We have only this one elevator, and there are others here who might like to use it, you know?"

"Alright, alright." Picard reached out his hand. "You heard him. Come on, Q."

"If I go up, I won't go down again."

"Fine," Picard muttered. "Now please, step inside."

Q slowly walked into the cabin and the man closed the door from outside. Picard reached out his hand, pushed the button with the number 19 on it and, a few seconds later, the elevator began to move.

Slowly.

Very slowly.

Q, who had retreated into the furthest corner of the cabin, looked at the buttons with a panicked expression on his face.

Picard eyed him carefully. "Q..."

"You don't have to say it," Q scoffed. "I know you're enjoying the feeling of seeing me tortured for a change."

"That's not true!" Picard retorted. "I actually wanted to make sure you're alright."

Q frowned. "Is this actual concern? From you? For me?"

"As strangely as it might sound, yes."

"How nice," Q muttered and continued to stare at the buttons. "Are all old-fashioned elevators this slow?"

"Not to my knowledge - it's very likely that this one's being operared with as little power as possible," Picard mused. "Maintaining electricity in this building can't be easy, not under these circumstances."

Q retreated even further into the corner and Picard sighed inwardly but decided to not engage the entity in conversation any further since there was nothing he could do to help, as much as he suddenly wanted to.

He raised an eyebrow when he realized that he had not been lying - he really was concerned about Q.

Strange, indeed.

6 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

He raised an eyebrow when he realized that he had not been lying - he really was concerned about Q.

Strange, indeed.

tumblr_mp6o3sOfrR1rb324eo1_400.gif

Very curious to see where this is going....

51 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

tumblr_mp6o3sOfrR1rb324eo1_400.gif

Very curious to see where this is going....

It IS a Picard/Q story, we HAVE to have a few slashy moments here and there. ;) 

26 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

It IS a Picard/Q story, we HAVE to have a few slashy moments here and there. ;) 

That will be interesting; very curious to see that transition.  

21 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

That will be interesting; very curious to see that transition.  

No worries though - I'm the first who complains when folks who write Picard/Q go into mushy romance territory and get out of character. There won't be any mushy romance here - the setting isn't right for it either. But the two of them WILL get to explore their relationship. ;) 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

No worries though - I'm the first who complains when folks who write Picard/Q go into mushy romance territory and get out of character. There won't be any mushy romance here - the setting isn't right for it either. But the two of them WILL get to explore their relationship. ;) 

If I know you, the transition will be very organic.  You made Picard's relationship with Alex very 'real'; I could very easily imagine it happening exactly that way. 

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If I know you, the transition will be very organic.  You made Picard's relationship with Alex very 'real'; I could very easily imagine it happening exactly that way. 

They won't exactly get together, I can say as much. Their relationship is not like the Picard/Alex one where both parties are constantly on the same level and can therefore freely explore all aspects without having to struggle with one of them being next of kin to chaos. It's one of the reasons why I picked Jean-Luc and Q for this setting and not Jean-Luc and Alex - the entire story is a struggle, in all possible ways. If I had decided to throw Jean-Luc and Alex into Harran, they would have worked together right from the start. Alex would not freak out as much as Q does, he would simply try to adapt to the situation - I'd even say he'd be a lot less shocked than Jean-Luc to find himself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, lol. (He has a bit of a fatalistic streak sometimes, I wonder where he got THAT one from, haha.) He'd probably have been the one who took out that Viral that attacked them while Jean-Luc still tries to find a weapon - he wouldn't hide behind Jean-Luc and shriek at him to do something. The entire story would be different - and half as challenging because I'd now have TWO guys willing to face Harran together at all times, not just one. I can easily see Jean-Luc and Alex on a rooftop, looking over Harran, each with a sword in his hand, leaning against each other while Volatiles climb up the building. (If I could draw I'd draw this right now, what a cool and badass image.)  

But then, the Picard/Q dynamic adds another layer to the story and making them a couple would change things in a way that I don't want. If I'd wanted such a story I'd have placed Jean-Luc and Alex in Harran. ;) 

Harris Brecken was not at all what Picard had expected. He had imagined an older, regal man with a natural aura of authority, but the person he actually found himself face to face with instead was a young, nervous-looking muscled man whose dirty t-shirt, pants and boots had seen better days.

"Good day," Brecken said and reached out his hand. "You must be that French captain Crane mentioned."

"Captain Jean-Luc Picard," Picard confirmed - it was no use to deny what Brecken already knew - and briefly shook the hand.

"Where's your boyfriend?"

"He decided to wait outside," Picard replied and could not help but worry about this very fact; not wanting to be right in the middle of things was rather uncharacteristic for Q. "Oh, and - he's not my boyfriend."

A hint of a smile crossed Brecken's face but vanished again almost immediately. "I assume I won't have to bother asking just where the hell you two came from and what you're doing here in Harran...?"

Picard said nothing.

"Thought so. Can you at least give me a reason why I should let you stay here instead of just sending you back outside?"

"We did not come to Harran to cause anyone any harm, that much I can tell you," Picard said. "In fact, we ended up here... rather unwillingly."

"Didn't we all," Brecken muttered, walked over to a nearby couch, sat down and motioned for Picard to come over.

Picard did so and sat down as well. "Mr. Brecken -"

"Please, leave out the 'Mister'. It reminds me too much of the fact that people view me as the leader of this place."

"But aren't you?"

Brecken leaned back on the couch. "Not by choice. I keep telling them that I'm not cut out for being in charge, and yet nobody seems to listen. I'm a f***ing Parkour Instructor, that's all."

Picard raised an eyebrow. "Then you trained Kyle Crane?"

"Not really, Crane trained himself for the most part. Rahim gave him the usual tutorial when he came here but the rest was all him."

"He's excellent," Picard said, thinking of how easily Crane navigated over Harran's roofs.

"He's the best runner we've got," Brecken confirmed. "Without him, the Tower wouldn't be what it is today. I can't complain about him in any way, although I do wish he didn't have such an a**hole attitude sometimes."

Picard smiled faintly. "I guess we all encounter such a person at some point."

Brecken looked at him. "I'm sure you come across plenty of them."

"What do you mean?"

"You're a captain - surely you must have the occasional disagreements with your crew...?"

"I do, yes."

"Is your crew here in Harran, too?"

"No."

"What kind of crew is it? Is your rank military or civilian?"

Picard thought for a moment before he answered. "We... umm... we prefer to think of ourselves as explorers."

"That must be amazing," Brecken mused. "Being an explorer, I mean. I'd love to do that myself, it's one of the reasons why I like Parkour so much - you get an entirely new feeling for what's around you. Now, though... well, I guess I'm stuck in a familiar land of hopelessness."

Picard leaned forward, intent on changing the subject - revealing too much about himself and his crew was the last thing he wanted. "Speaking of which... can you tell me what exactly happened here in Harran? The unofficial version, if you have one."

Brecken sighed and leaned forward as well. "The truth is, nobody really knows exactly how this whole Harran Virus thing started. Some say it was because of contaminated food, others say it was a failed military experiment... a few idiots even claim it was aliens who did it, because, whenever something happens that people don't understand it must be aliens, right?"

Picard had a hard time keeping a straight face. "I wouldn't know."

"Neither would I," Brecken remarked, oblivious to Picard's inner amusement. "Anyway, we know that the initial outbreak of the virus happened in Old Town and then things spread into the Slums here. The military sealed the city and trapped us all like animals while the GRE kept us alive with air drops of food and antizin."

"Antizin?"

"You've never heard of antizin?" Brecken asked, surprised. "Have you been living under a rock or something?"

"Something like that, yes."

"Antizin is the only known antidote to the Harran Virus - except that it really isn't one, it only slows things down once you've been bitten. If you stop your antizin injections, you turn. I've seen it happening several times."

"Wait... you mean there are people inside the Tower who have to take this antizin?"

"Sure. About half of our Tower population was bitten at some point."

"You're risking quite a lot by keeping them here," Picard remarked, mulling over what he had just heard.

"I know, all it takes is one person who doesn't take their antizin on time and we'll have one hell of a mess. But then I can't just kick them all out, now can I?" Brecken leaned back again. "I've thought about starting all over again in a smaller Safe Zone, and only with people who haven't been bitten... but I doubt I could really do that. I'm not cut out for my current position here, how could I ever manage to do the same all over again and live with myself for abandoning the Tower?"

"Hmm." Picard rubbed his chin. "You're not as bad a leader as you seem to think you are - from what I can see, you have done remarkably well with this place."

Brecken sighed. "That's actually the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a long time - all I usually get from people nowadays are complaints." He looked at Picard. "You know what the real problem is? People are too comfortable here now. We're well protected, there's a somewhat decent amount of food and antizin, we have electricity and now running water, too. The major problems have been taken care of, which means people turn towards complaining about minor ones... and that's where the trouble starts. For me, at least."

"I understand your dilemma," Picard said, feeling a sudden rush of sympathy towards the rather desperate-looking young man. "If my crew and I ended up here I would probably be facing the same predicament at some point."

Brecken raised his index finger. "With one difference - you are used to being a leader." He stood up and began to pace. "You know what? Maybe there is something I can do to make all this easier for everyone. I'd need your help, though."

"My help?" Picard echoed.

"Did Crane tell you that Tower residents usually take various jobs to earn their right to live here?"

"He mentioned something like that, yes."

"I have a job for you in mind right now," Brecken said and folded his arms across his chest. "You could help me run the Tower."

Picard's eyes widened in surprise. "Brecken, I only just arrived here, I have no idea how to -"

The young man waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "I'll fill you in and tell you about the most pressing issues. The rest you'll figure out yourself."

"But you barely even know me...!"

"If there's one thing you need to do here in Harran it's using all the resources that come your way. I did the same when Crane arrived here - I didn't know him either and yet he proved himself worthy almost immediately." Brecken stopped pacing. "Speaking of Crane - there's one more issue we need to discuss."

"What would that be?"

"We can't both sit in this Headquarters apartment all day. If we do that, Crane and the other runners will protest - they're used to risking their lives for me by now but I don't think they'd accept an outsider giving them orders." Brecken sat down on the couch again. "Crane tells me you're good at Parkour, so you have the basics down already. Now all you need to do is tell me that you're good with a weapon that doesn't make too much noise and you'll have a job and a Tower apartment for both you and your boyfr- erm, friend."

Picard frowned. "I... umm... I'm reasonably good at fencing."

"Great. Consider the next sword that shows up here to be yours."

"Brecken, I don't know if I'll be good eno-"

"You won't have to go out every day, only occasionally - just to show Crane and the others that you're ready to do some of the dirty work yourself. I'll ask Crane to train you for a few days and then we'll talk about this again." Brecken reached out his hand. "Deal?"

Picard hesitated - he knew he was getting himself into a lot of possible trouble, but then it wasn't that he had many options: If he declined, both he and Q would most likely end up on the streets of Harran again, helpless against an army of Infected...

"Deal," he said and shook Brecken's hand.

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

"That must be amazing," Brecken mused. "Being an explorer, I mean. I'd love to do that myself, it's one of the reasons why I like Parkour so much - you get an entirely new feeling for what's around you. Now, though... well, I guess I'm stuck in a familiar land of hopelessness."

^
I like that analogy of free-running Parkour for exploration.   Nice imagery. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Picard frowned. "I... umm... I'm reasonably good at fencing."

^ Hehe... nice bit of character/reference.  

Also, it kind of reminds me of Sulu giving much the same answer in ST09 when Kirk asks him exactly what kind of combat training he's had.

Once again, I really appreciate your building the story up methodically and deliberately; you're not just going for the jugular and making it an 'action story' (I hate those); it's a character piece.  And it feels very authentic with regard to how Picard acts in meeting other capable leaders like himself, no matter the circumstance. 

13 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once again, I really appreciate your building the story up methodically and deliberately; you're not just going for the jugular and making it an 'action story' (I hate those); it's a character piece.  And it feels very authentic with regard to how Picard acts in meeting other capable leaders like himself, no matter the circumstance. 

Thank you! :)

I don't think I could write an action-based story, even if I wanted to. I want substance, not pew-pew-pew . And I soooooo ship Picard/Brecken, I shipped them from the moment I started to play Dying Light. In ANY other story I'd have let them get together because they just go so well with one another - the experienced older leader with the young and sometimes exhausted leader who needs a shoulder to lean on that Jean-Luc would be only too happy to provide from time to time AAAAARGHH I SHIIIP IIIIIT. I might write a naughty little ficlet at some point though that's set during one of those long Headquarters nights when they try to figure out stuff and Brecken gets exhausted and Jean-Luc and he go to the balcony (Brecken's apartment has a balcony) and they look over Harran and then one thing leads to another and he next morning they wake up in Brecken's bed :angel_not: (Since this story isn't a Picard/Q-fall-head-over-heels-in-love type of story  a night between Jean-Luc and Brecken would make sense.)

I'm so lucky that Jean-Luc fences, yes. lol I'd have had to come up with something else otherwise - you can use guns in Harran but it's not a wise thing to do, it attracts Virals like whoa.

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thank you! :)

I don't think I could write an action-based story, even if I wanted to. I want substance, not pew-pew-pew . And I soooooo ship Picard/Brecken, I shipped them from the moment I started to play Dying Light. In ANY other story I'd have let them get together because they just go so well with one another - the experienced older leader with the young and sometimes exhausted leader who needs a shoulder to lean on that Jean-Luc would be only too happy to provide from time to time AAAAARGHH I SHIIIP IIIIIT. I might write a naughty little ficlet at some point though that's set during one of those long Headquarters nights when they try to figure out stuff and Brecken gets exhausted and Jean-Luc and he go to the balcony (Brecken's apartment has a balcony) and they look over Harran and then one thing leads to another and he next morning they wake up in Brecken's bed :angel_not: (Since this story isn't a Picard/Q-fall-head-over-heels-in-love type of story  a night between Jean-Luc and Brecken would make sense.)

I'm so lucky that Jean-Luc fences, yes. lol I'd have had to come up with something else otherwise - you can use guns in Harran but it's not a wise thing to do, it attracts Virals like whoa.

Swords are more primal and visceral as well; they're more dramatic.  ;)

Keep up the great work, my friend.

"188. This must be it." Picard took the key that Brecken had given him, put it into the old-fashioned lock and turned it around.

The door opened somewhat reluctantly, and Picard and Q stepped into a small, furnished apartment that did not look as bad as they both had feared it would: There was a rather large living room, a bedroom, a small kitchen and an even smaller bathroom. It had seen better days, but it still looked comfortable enough.

"What happened to the previous owners?" Q asked and looked around without much enthusiasm while Picard closed the door behind them.

"They were part of the team that cleared out the 17th floor."

"Guess they shouldn't have volunteered for that mission," Q remarked tonelessly, walked over to the couch, sat down and buried his head in his hands.

Picard frowned - he had been prepared for one of Q's typical interior decorating outcries - the apartment's wallpaper was rather outrageous - but the entity was simply sitting there in exactly the same position that he had assumed earlier on a chair in front of the Headquarters apartment, right before he had told Picard to go in and talk to Brecken alone.

"Q? What's wrong?" he asked cautiously.

"What's wrong, what's wrong," Q muttered through his fingers. "I've been turned into a human and imprisoned in a plague city, I've been laughed at, sneered at, dragged over dirty roofs and into a hellish elevator - and now I'm supposed to live in an apartment inside a building whose lower floors are crawling with zombies." He looked up and glared at Picard, who had walked up to the couch. "What could possibly be wrong?"

Picard sat down next to him. "Q, I know how difficult this -"

"Oh, don't even start," Q huffed. "I remember perfectly well how you and your crew mocked me the last time I was punished by the Continuum. I bet you can't wait to do the same again now that we're stuck with each other in here."

"I already told you, I have no intention of doing that," Picard assured him. "If all this goes how I think it will be going, I won't be here much anyway - you'll have this place all to yourself for the most part."

"Whatever possessed you to accept Brecken's offer, anyway? You wouldn't have had to."

"No, but if I hadn't accepted we'd have ended up on the streets again, which was absolutely not an option," Picard said. "And really - as long as we're here we might as well try to help these people."

"Oh that's so you," Q scoffed. "Why do you think the Continuum chose this place for my punishment? It's a hopeless situation, a futile battle against time! There is no hope here, these people are doomed - you can't save them!"

"That is not true!" Picard retorted angrily. "They are determined to survive, no matter how bad their situation is!"

"Do you really believe that? I don't want to know how many of them commit suicide every day!"

"Maybe some of them do, yes, but for most humans there is always something to live for!"

Q rolled his eyes. "Oh, please."

"I mean it, Q."

"That makes it even worse," Q muttered, closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

Picard sighed heavily and slowly put his hand on Q's shoulder. "Q, listen to me. I may not be able to fully understand what it means to be stripped of one's omnipotence, but I do realize that it must be very, very difficult. Right now you're suffering from the symptoms of a severe shock, and you need to give yourself some time to absorb and adjust to all this in a safe place - which, by the way, is another reason why I agreed to Brecken's proposal."

Q opened his eyes and looked at the hand on his shoulder and then at Picard. "Jean-Luc, I -"

A knock on the apartment door interrupted him. "Picard? It's Crane!"

Picard stood up, tugged his t-shirt into place and went to get the door while Q continued to look at his shoulder where Picard's hand had been.

A loving smile appeared on his tired and exhausted face.

END OF ACT I

8 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

"Oh that's so you," Q scoffed. "Why do you think the Continuum chose this place for my punishment? It's a hopeless situation, a futile battle against time! There is no hope here, these people are doomed - you can't save them!"

^
I was thinking that line is so Q!   I really 'hear' Q's voice in your dialogue.   

"Maybe some of them do, yes, but for most humans there is always something to live for!"

Tres Jean-Luc... :thumbup:

A loving smile appeared on his tired and exhausted face.

:happy:

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, Sehlat! I'll take a short break now to prepare Act II, which will be told from Q's perspective. I don't write Q very often but some stories demand a shift in perspective and this one does so I have to go along with it.

I'm also glad that I seem to get the characters right! It's one of my biggest pet peeves how most Picard/Q writers de-rail either Jean-Luc or Q or both just to get them together. (They're not MEANT to be an actual couple. But then, try telling that to a die-hard P/Q shipper. lol)

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, Sehlat! I'll take a short break now to prepare Act II, which will be told from Q's perspective. I don't write Q very often but some stories demand a shift in perspective and this one does so I have to go along with it.

I'm also glad that I seem to get the characters right! It's one of my biggest pet peeves how most Picard/Q writers de-rail either Jean-Luc or Q or both just to get them together. (They're not MEANT to be an actual couple. But then, try telling that to a die-hard P/Q shipper. lol)

I'd never try... :P