Mr.Picard

Fan Fic: We'll Always Have Harran (Picard/Q, TNG/Dying Light Crossover) - RATING: R

35 posts in this topic

Okay, so I thought I'd post this fic here. It does NOT have any explicit/naughty scenes, and the R rating is due to violence but nothing TOO much, it's just the usual thing you get when your story is set in a zombie-infested city. (The focus is NOT on the zombies, though. Which is why I think posting it here is okay. It doesn't have a lot of gruesome scenes, maybe one or two and that's it. And since R-rated stories are allowed here, well... it's all fine, I guess.)

The idea for this fan fic came to me very early in my Dying Light gaming days, mostly when I noticed all the little Star Trek hints the game has - and not just TOS, which was a pleasant surprise. Here are a few pics:

DyingLightTrek-1.jpg

DyingLightTrek-12.jpg

DyingLightTrek-123.jpg

There are more in Dying Light - The Following, the game's extension, but I guess these are enough for now and enough to drive my point home... this game DEMANDED a TNG crossover fan fic. My original idea was to place Jean-Luc and Alex in Harran, the city in which the game takes place, but then I realized that a) the HOW was a huge problem unless we involved Q, and why would Q place them in Harran, he's pretty much a somewhat nice guy in the Picard/Alex universe and b) Alex and Jean-Luc would both be able to cope with Harran, each in their own way, neither would freak out and they wouldn't be throwing rage fits at one another either because they just work so well together as a couple.

So... I took the next logical step, take the one pairing that DOES make sense for a setting like this, which means a pairing that tends to be at odds and that isn't exactly a very uneventful one... which naturally means Picard/Q. It's all Q's fault and Jean-Luc is angry, yadda yadda yadda, we know the drill. :laugh: Although this story comes with quite a few surprises regarding Q, so... it's not all the usual bickering.

Anyways... on to the first short chapter/introduction.

ACT I - SAFE ZONES

Chapter 1

At first Picard thought it was a dream.

He had gone to bed early the night before despite knowing that, if he went to bed earlier than usual, his dreams would be a lot more vivid and memorable than they usually were. This was why, at first, he didn't even stir when he felt a rather insistent hand tugging at his right shoulder.

"Jean-Luc! Wake up!"

Picard groaned softly - and then, suddenly, the voice registered in his mind and was matched with a face. His eyes flew open and, sure enough, there he was, kneeling beside him, his hand on Picard's shoulder.

"Q...?!"

"Finally." The entity seemed relieved, and yet also somewhat panicked. "We don't have time for your usual grumpy mood and useless questions. We have to leave. Now."

"Q, what are you talk-"

Only now did Picard realize that he was no longer in his bed, the pain he felt in his left shoulder a sudden proof that something was wrong, very wrong. He slowly sat up - and then gaped at his surroundings, at first completely incomprehensive of what he was looking at.

Chapter 2

Until now Picard had been lying on a dirty street that was littered with all kinds of trash, including a rusty screwdriver that his shoulder had used as a rather unpleasant pillow, which explained the pain he had just felt. The air was hot and humid, and the wind that swept through the street brought a strange, sickening stench with it. On the other side of the street two cars had apparently crashed into one another, but there was no trace of their owners. The buildings on both sides of the street did not offer much comfort either: They were as lifeless as everything else seemed to be, their windows broken and their doors smashed in.

"Q, what is this pla-"

"We don't have time!" Q pressed, an urgency in his voice that Picard had never heard before. "Come on! They've seen us!"

"Who?" Picard asked, but then found his answer when he turned his head and saw a small bunch of people approaching.

There was something odd about them, however, and it took Picard a few moments to realize that they were moving in a rather erratic way; their feet shuffling, their arms outstretched, their teeth bared, the expression on their faces a strange mix between blank and murderous.

Picard stood up as quickly as he could and only now did he notice that he was not in his pajamas anymore: He was wearing a tight black t-shirt, camouflage-patterned pants and heavy black jump boots.

He looked at Q, who was wearing a similar outfit. "What is going on here, Q?"

Q was definitely not in the mood for answers; he was already pulling Picard with him, away from whoever it was they were about to face. "We have to go, Jean-Luc!"

Picard looked once more at the approaching mob and found himself forced to agree. Q let go of him and the two of them ran up the dirty street, around the corner - and then froze in horror.

The street before them was filled with the same kind of people they had just seen... and they were just as unhappy about their presence.

Picard looked around for a possible route of escape and suddenly noticed a door that been leaned against a rusty car. Someone had painted an arrow on it that pointed upwards, and Picard followed its direction with his eyes and spotted an upper balcony that belonged to a nearby building from whose top someone had hung a huge bed sheet that had the word SAFE on it.

It was simple but effective - a ramp to safety.

Well, hopefully.

Picard grabbed Q. "This way!"

The entity allowed himself to be pulled towards the car, but stopped when he realized what Picard was trying to tell him. "I can't make that jump! Until a few moments ago I didn't even know I could run!"

"Q, this is not the time for an argument!"

"Jean-Luc, I'm telling you, I can't - aah!"

A hissing person appeared right behind him, and Q took just one look at the hideous face and then ran up the door, jumped, flew threw the air - and just barely managed to grab the balcony's railing in order to cling to it.

Picard shoved the person out of the way, ran up the door himself, jumped, easily reached the balcony's railing and hopped over it. Then he turned around and looked at the approaching mob, relieved that the balcony was too high for them to reach.

"Help!" Q suddenly whimpered - he was still desperately clinging to the railing, his feet dangling in the air.

Picard quickly leaned over the railing, grabbed Q and pulled him onto the balcony where he collapsed, gasping for breath.

"Are you alright, Q?"

"Do... I... look alright... to you?" Q panted angrily.

"Why didn't you use your powers?"

"What... kind of a... stupid... question is... that? Don't... you think... I would have... if... I could?"

Picard rolled his eyes and then shifted his attention from Q to his new surroundings. The balcony was larger than he had originally thought: It actually went on around a corner. He cautiously began to walk towards and then around that corner - and found himself in front of an open doorframe that led into the house. What caught his attention, however, were two headlights on a yellow stand that someone had put up across from the door. They were switched off, but - unlike everything else Picard had seen so far - not broken. What was even more strange was the fact that they were pointed at the wall above the door, not the door itself.

Picard frowned but before he could wonder any further about this strange arrangement, Q had appeared behind him, still panting. "What... what are... these for?"

"You tell me," Picard retorted dryly and walked towards the doorframe, through it and into something that had apparently once been a living room but now no longer served as such: Most of the wodden furniture had been smashed into pieces and the overturned couch was soaked with something that looked a lot like old blood.

Still, the room seemed indeed safe enough for the moment, which was why Picard turned towards Q, who had followed him inside. "Alright, as much as I dread having to ask: Where am I, what am I doing here, and what the hell happened to the Enterprise?"

WHAT A TEASER!!!

Agggghhhhh!!!!

Please, oh please tell me the next chapter is coming soon (??).

I'm having to manually close my lower jaw...

Great read. :)

You really do have Picard's voice down nicely.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

WHAT A TEASER!!!

Agggghhhhh!!!!

Please, oh please tell me the next chapter is coming soon (??).

I'm having to manually close my lower jaw...

I published the third chapter today. I shall add it below. ;) I'm glad you liked the first two! It's one of the most challenging stories I've ever written. The chapters are rather long, at least compared to my usual writing habits, and it takes a lot of time to edit stuff.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Great read. :)

You really do have Picard's voice down nicely.

Thank you very much! *blush*

Chapter 3

"Your little nutshell is safe and sound," Q said, walked into the room and leaned against the wall next to the broken window. "And before you tell me that your inept crew will find you - trust me, they won't even know you're gone unless the Continuum wants them to, but even if they knew it would do neither you nor them any good."

"Why not?" Picard asked suspiciously.

"Because of this place and its location." Q briefly examined the gray t-shirt he was wearing before he continued. "It's difficult to explain to a being with limited capabilities, but try to view it this way: Your universe is located in one dimensional bubble, this place is located in another."

"And the Q can jump around between these bubbles?"

"For the most part, yes."

Picard looked at Q, who was now busy with wiping sweat off his forehead - he was nervous, and Picard had a nagging feeling that he was a lot more shaken by what was happening than he was letting on. "Am I correct in assuming that you didn't come here voluntarily?"

"You're very perceptive, mon capitaine."

"What is this place?"

"The closest analogy is the term 'Punishment Zone'."

"A Punishment Zone? What are you being punished for?"

"I... umm... overdid certain things recently."

Picard raised his hands in a gesture of utter exasperation. "Why am I not surprised...?"

"Really, Jean-Luc, you don't have to rub it in."

Picard somehow forced himself to stay calm. "What you've just told me explains your presence here - what about mine?"

"I'm afraid that's my fault."

"What?"

"A Q who is about to be sent into a Punishment Zone is allowed to request one companion, from any mortal species. And since you still are the closest thing I have to a friend..."

"You chose me. How flattering."

"There's no need for your sarcasm, mon capitaine; I honestly didn't have any other options." Q nervously rubbed his hands together. "Besides, this comes with a price for me as well - the punished Q is forced to become the same species as their companion, and the Punishment Zone is then chosen accordingly as well." 

"How terrible for you," Picard said dryly. "What is this whole companion idea even supposed to accomplish?"

"It's part of the punishment. The companion is supposed to help the punished Q realize just how ordinary the Continuum can make them."

"But you already know how 'ordinary' humans are. You were made human once before."

Q waved his hand. "Those were much less drastic circumstances."

"It didn't seem that way for you then."

"Of course not, it was the first time it happened! But, as much as I whined and cried, being a human aboard a 24th century starship was hardly a real punishment. This is more like it."

Picard looked out of the window and at the ocean in the distance. "Where are we?"

"It's called the City of Harran."

"Harran?" Picard echoed. "That place existed on my Earth centuries ago. It was an ancient city in Turkey, if I remember correctly."

"Don't bother trying to look for artifacts," Q said. "Your Harran might have served as some kind of basis for this, but as you can see, the people here have - or rather had - the technological advances of the early 21st century."

"What happened to them?"

"The Continuum gave me only very little to go on before they placed us on that street - all I know is that a virus outbreak turned people into murderous zombies. All city exits were sealed and, in typical human fashion, the government was ready to bomb everything. Survivors convinced them otherwise; they managed to send out a radio transmission from here, informing the world that there are still people in Harran who need help. The bombing was called off."

"And then...?"

Q shrugged. "I don't know. As I said, the Continuum wasn't very forthcoming with information."

Picard ran his hands across his face. "Alright, let me try to grasp what I just heard: This place is real, in its own dimension."

"Yes."

"And you were sent here by the Q Continuum as punishment because you couldn't behave. Again."

"I wouldn't put it quite li-"

"I would."

Q glared at Picard but said nothing.

"What happens now?"

"What do you mean?"

"This punishment," Picard said. "How long is it supposed to last?"

"As long as the Continuum sees fit. A few days, weeks, months, years - I don't know."

"Wonderful," Picard muttered.

Q looked at him, an expression on his face that seemed almost sheepish.

"What about escaping?"

"This is a Punishment Zone whose borders have been re-enforced by the entire Q Continuum," Q said. "We couldn't escape even if I had my powers."

Picard sighed. "You mentioned survivors. Are they still here?"

"I don't know, but I'd say it's possible - someone seems to be taking care of those lights outside."

"Speaking of surviving, there's one thing I don't understand." Picard rubbed his chin. "The Q Continuum wants to punish you but apparently not kill you - then why put you in a life-threatening situation?"

"I told you, for punishment. Since I chose human, the Continuum wants for me to experience what it means to be human under extreme conditions."

"But your human life was threatened once before, you know what it's like -  the Calamarain, remember?"

Q rolled his eyes. "You don't get it, do you? That whole situation you keep referencing was nothing. As much drama as the Continuum caused back then, they would have saved me if the Calamarain had gotten to me - a Q was watching over me the whole time. This punishment's level can be compared to the one Amanda Rogers' parents faced."

"They were executed."

"Yes."

"So... if you survive long enough, you get your freedom and your powers back. If you don't, no loss either."

"Exactly."

"You know, for an omnipotent species you Q are remarkably cruel and heartless."

Q put his hand on his chest. "Don't look at me - I've always tried to have as much heart as possible, especially when it comes to humanity."

Picard harrumphed. "I would say that is a matter of perspective."

"You wound me once again, Jean-Luc." Q walked away from the window. "But... I do have to thank you."

"For what?"

"Staying so calm. I expected a lot more anger from you."

"Perhaps I've simply gotten too used to your preposterous schemes to be upset about the fact that I am once again being forced into risking my life on your behalf," Picard snapped.

Q glared at him. "Do you really think I'd do this to you voluntarily? I didn't know the Continuum would pick this place!"

"What difference does it make?" Picard scoffed. "You've risked my life on dozens of occasions, you have no regard for it whatsoever!"

"Trust you to twist everything I do around to make it look hostile!"

"You are hostile!" Picard roared, finally losing his temper. "I could absolutely do witho-"

A loud banging noise, followed by a piercing scream interrupted him.

"What was that?" Picard asked, alarmed.

Q returned his gaze. "I don't know."

A few seconds of silence passed before another scream came, only this time it was much closer. Suddenly a strange shuffling sound could be heard, and it took Picard a few moments to realize that someone had climbed onto the balcony. Steps sounded from right outside the living room, and then someone appeared in the doorway. The person looked a little like the ones Picard and Q had seen before, but the clothing wasn't as torn and dirty, and the face at least resembled that of a human. Unfortunately, this was where the good facts ended, since the open mouth from which blood was dripping clearly indicated that whatever it was that Picard and Q were facing was no longer on the human side of the equation.

"Do something!" Q shrieked and quickly stumbled behind Picard, who frantically looked around for something he could use as a weapon.

The hideous being screamed again and finally charged, clearly intent on tearing its victims apart with its bare hands - and then its head was cut off from behind. Blood splattered everywhere while the head flew sideways, hit the wall and then the floor. The rest of the body remained standing for a few seconds while bolts of electricity ran over it... and then it finally fell, blood oozing out of the stump where the neck had been.

A tall, bearded man with a huge, flickering sword in his hand stepped forward. "What the f**k do you two think you're doing here?"

DAAAAAAAAMMMMMN!!!! 

Mr. Picard, I don't say this lightly; this is shaping up to be one of your best.  You NAIL their voices; I just feel like I'm 'watching' an R-rated episode; the beats and timing are perfect.  

And I can barely wait to see what happens next! 

11 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

DAAAAAAAAMMMMMN!!!! 

Mr. Picard, I don't say this lightly; this is shaping up to be one of your best.  You NAIL their voices; I just feel like I'm 'watching' an R-rated episode; the beats and timing are perfect.  

And I can barely wait to see what happens next! 

Wow, thanks Sehlat! I'm so happy you're enjoying this so much! It takes time for me to edit new chapters so the next one's gonna take a while, but I'm thrilled people seem to like this story the way they do! (Especially since I pretty much had no idea what I was doing when I sat down to write it.) I'm usually not a Picard/Q writer - it's a very exhausting pairing lol - and this is my first long P/Q story, and I'm so glad I seem to be getting them right! They're very tricky to write, especially in a setting like Harran.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Wow, thanks Sehlat! I'm so happy you're enjoying this so much! It takes time for me to edit new chapters so the next one's gonna take a while, but I'm thrilled people seem to like this story the way they do! (Especially since I pretty much had no idea what I was doing when I sat down to write it.) I'm usually not a Picard/Q writer - it's a very exhausting pairing lol - and this is my first long P/Q story, and I'm so glad I seem to be getting them right! They're very tricky to write, especially in a setting like Harran.

You capture their relationship so well; it's like slipping into an old, comfortable glove. And yes, you just know that Q would take Picard with him.  Also loved how you gently expand the parameters of the Q without stepping on any continuity toes.  Very graceful.   Well done. :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

You capture their relationship so well; it's like slipping into an old, comfortable glove. And yes, you just know that Q would take Picard with him.  Also loved how you gently expand the parameters of the Q without stepping on any continuity toes.  Very graceful.   Well done. :thumbup:

Thank you so much for the enthusiastic feedback! :) 

Their relationship will evolve somewhat (it wouldn't be a slash story if it didn't), but since I'm not the "and they lived happily ever after" type when it comes to Picard/Q, things won't derail too much. For now Jean-Luc is anything but amused by Q's latest shenanigans, though. (I can't blame him.) 

I do try to stay true to TNG's Q Continuum canon indeed, and since TNG already explored the Q-Is-Human angle, this story won't focus on him trying to eat and sleep and whatnot. There will be references though, naturally. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thank you so much for the enthusiastic feedback! :) 

Their relationship will evolve somewhat (it wouldn't be a slash story if it didn't), but since I'm not the "and they lived happily ever after" type when it comes to Picard/Q, things won't derail too much. For now Jean-Luc is anything but amused by Q's latest shenanigans, though. (I can't blame him.) 

I do try to stay true to TNG's Q Continuum canon indeed, and since TNG already explored the Q-Is-Human angle, this story won't focus on him trying to eat and sleep and whatnot. There will be references though, naturally. 

Q's punishment in "Deja Q" was a slap on the wrist compared to this; and as you noted, he was being overseen the entire time.  And yes, you're wise not to retread the same territory.  

Looking forward to the next chapter. 

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Q's punishment in "Deja Q" was a slap on the wrist compared to this; and as you noted, he was being overseen the entire time.  And yes, you're wise not to retread the same territory.  

Looking forward to the next chapter. 

I've always felt that the Continuum just kicked Q out then to tell him "yo this far no further". But this is headcanon, and yet canon there also implies a dark side of the Continuum - that they're not shy to mess up of one of their own if that Q breaks the rules. This is something that "True Q" then picks up and drives home although in typical TNG fashion things are a bit rushed and we don't get the full dosage of darkness since we're supposed to focus on Amanda, but the fact is that two Q were EXECUTED because they chose to live as humans but couldn't resist using their powers. The Continuum can be seriously SAVAGE sometimes, and that's why I think it makes sense for them to also have a really messed up punishment system in place.

The story moves away from the Q thing for a while now (understandably so IMO) but it will get back to it, so... patience. Heh.

7 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I've always felt that the Continuum just kicked Q out then to tell him "yo this far no further". But this is headcanon, and yet canon there also implies a dark side of the Continuum - that they're not shy to mess up of one of their own if that Q breaks the rules. This is something that "True Q" then picks up and drives home although in typical TNG fashion things are a bit rushed and we don't get the full dosage of darkness since we're supposed to focus on Amanda, but the fact is that two Q were EXECUTED because they chose to live as humans but couldn't resist using their powers. The Continuum can be seriously SAVAGE sometimes, and that's why I think it makes sense for them to also have a really messed up punishment system in place.

The story moves away from the Q thing for a while now (understandably so IMO) but it will get back to it, so... patience. Heh.

I'll try...:thumbup:

Picard and Q stared at the man, who seemed completely oblivious to their shock.

"What the hell were you thinking, arguing this loudly?" he asked and kicked the torso of the now very dead person out of the way. "Were you trying to get yourselves ripped apart by Virals?"

Picard was the first to regain his composure. "Virals...?"

The man froze. "Don't tell me you don't know what a Viral is."

"We thought this was a safe place," Picard remarked, deliberately not answering the question - the fact that the sword was still raised in the man's hand was definitely not lost on him.

"Does this room look f***ing safe to you?" the man scoffed. "The Safe Zone's above this floor."

"Then why are there lights outside?" Q asked.

"You mean the UV lights? Haven't you heard of Volatiles?" The look on the man's bearded face became even more suspicious. "You're not from Harran, are you?"

"We're not," Picard admitted, carefully eyeing not only the sword in the man's hand but also the huge knife hanging from his belt.

"How did you get here? Did the GRE send you?"

"Our presence here is more or less an accident. And no, we were not sent by the GRE."

The man scratched his face. "Well, whatever it is you're doing here in Harran, it's not my problem - just make sure it stays that way." He put his sword away and turned around in order to leave.

"Wait," Picard said quickly.

"What?"

"We would appreciate some help."

"Doing what?"

"We don't really know anything about this place, so if you could -"

The man turned around again. "Just climb up to the Safe Zone. In there you can think about your plans or whatever it is that you have."

"We need a weapon," Q suddenly blurted out and Picard shot him a glare, which he returned. "Oh you know we do, mon capitaine."

The man frowned. "Captain? You're military?"

"Not exactly," Picard said, resisting the urge to strangle Q.

The man raised his hands. "Okay, okay... I get it that you don't want to tell me why you're here, and I know better than to ask, but can you at least tell me your names?"

"This is Q, and I'm Jean-Luc Picard."

"You're French?"

"Yes...?"

"You sound British."

Picard opened his mouth in order to protest, but before he could say anything, Q had taken over. "Are you going to help us or not? I don't like standing around here while these... these things run around."

"You'll meet much worse things if you don't climb up to the Safe Zone before it gets dark," the man remarked.

"But what then?" Picard asked. "As much as I dislike having to agree with my... umm... acquaintance here, a weapon does appear to be essential for survival in this place."

The man rolled his eyes. "Alright, I'll see what I can find tomorrow." He patted the hilt of his sword. "Won't be as good as this, though."

"Where did you get that?"

"At the Tower, of course."

"The Tower...?" Picard echoed.

"Jesus, how did you manage to survive here until now?" The man shook his head. "The Tower is the safest place here in the Slums. You can get almost everything there, including a shower since they finally fixed the plumbing a little while ago." He looked out of the window. "I'd consider taking you there, but not now. It's getting dark, and as I said, you should be in a Safe Zone at night. Come on, I'll show you."

Picard and Q followed him out of the room and back onto the balcony, where he pointed at a little roof above the doorframe. "This way."

"We have to climb up there?" Q exclaimed, horrified.

"What did you expect - a magic elevator?"

Q shot the man a glare, but Picard was in no mood for arguments. "I think I can do this."

He eyed the edge of the roof and jumped, grabbed the edge and pulled himself up onto the small roof. Then he looked up and saw what the man had meant: A barred window was right above him, and further up was another balcony.

'Even more climbing. Q will be thrilled.'

Suddenly a series of loud beeps sounded from below.

Picard peered over the edge of the roof. "What was that?"

"My watch tells me when it's about to get dark," the man replied. "I'd hurry if I were you."

"This is ridiculous," Q complained. "I can't climb up a house, no matter if it's day or night!"

"Q, I strongly suggest we cooperate," Picard said and looked at the man. "Can you help us? We'll be faster that way."

The man sighed, looked at his watch and then back at Picard. "Alright. But I'm not gonna save your a$$ if you fall down."

Mmmm....virals.  I suspect I know where this is going, and I look forward to it! :thumbup:

Also love how you injected a bit of fanboy humor in there, with Picard's "Frentish" joke; and you wisely cut it off before going into any kind of laborious explanation that a lesser writer might've been tempted to over-exposition.  Very smart! ;)

Excited for Chapter 5!  I love your dialogue! 

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Mmmm....virals.  I suspect I know where this is going, and I look forward to it! :thumbup:

Also love how you injected a bit of fanboy humor in there, with Picard's "Frentish" joke; and you wisely cut it off before going into any kind of laborious explanation that a lesser writer might've been tempted to over-exposition.  Very smart! ;)

Excited for Chapter 5!  I love your dialogue! 

I keep thinking maybe I should post a gameplay video so that people who haven't played Dying Light can imagine what it's like in Harran. Here's one:

(Just skip first minute or so.) As you can see it's rather unwise to be out and about at night in this game. :laugh: 

I couldn't resist having that fanboy joke in there, I'm as sick about people being all like "why does he have a British accent when he's French" argument as he is, haha. And yeah, you have to be careful with these kinds of jokes, if you overdo them, they derail quickly.

Thanks again, I'm so glad you like the story!

12 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I keep thinking maybe I should post a gameplay video so that people who haven't played Dying Light can imagine what it's like in Harran. Here's one:

(Just skip first minute or so.) As you can see it's rather unwise to be out and about at night in this game. :laugh: 

I couldn't resist having that fanboy joke in there, I'm as sick about people being all like "why does he have a British accent when he's French" argument as he is, haha. And yeah, you have to be careful with these kinds of jokes, if you overdo them, they derail quickly.

Thanks again, I'm so glad you like the story!

I do, and your video game primer of the environment pretty much matches the dystopia I had in my mind's eye; well done.

And yes, your use of that British-French quip reminded me of DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" when Worf is confronted with smooth-headed Klingons from TOS and he simply says, "We do not discuss it with outsiders...and it is a long story."  :P

10 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I do, and your video game primer of the environment pretty much matches the dystopia I had in my mind's eye; well done.

And yes, your use of that British-French quip reminded me of DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" when Worf is confronted with smooth-headed Klingons from TOS and he simply says, "We do not discuss it with outsiders...and it is a long story."  :P

Thank you! I'm glad I described Harran's Slums adequately. There are two more locations, Old Town and The Following's The Countryside, but I left these out because a) you start out in the Slums, b) they are my favorite location and c) the zombies in Old Town and the Countryside are even MORE vicious than the ones in the Slums AND there are a LOT more of them in one place - neither Jean-Luc nor Q would stand a chance there. The game doesn't let you go to Old Town from the start either, which is wise, you're not strong enough to handle it.

Yes, that's how you handle this thing, acknowledge the fanboy whining but don't go too much into detail, all that usually accomplishes is aggravating the fanboys even more, haha. I also doubt Jean-Luc would explain to a stranger just how he manages to sound British while he's actually French. :laugh:

"You're really hopeless at this whole climbing thing," the man said and looked at Q, who had just been pulled onto the roof's balcony by Picard and was now lying on the floor, panting.

Q shot him a glare, slowly got up and was just about to say something when the balcony was suddenly drenched in blue light.

"The UV lights," the man remarked. "Finally."

"You mentioned they've been put up to keep Volatiles away," Picard said. "What exactly are Volatiles?"

"Mutated infected that can literally rip you apart. They only appear at night." The man pointed at a nearby open hatch in the balcony's concrete floor. "That's your home for tonight. You can stay out here as well if you want, but I'd recommend going in - we sometimes get heavy thunderstorms at night, and the rain that comes with them drenches everything in seconds."

He turned away, walked up to the edge of the balcony and looked at the house across the street whose shape was only a vague shadow in the semi-darkness. Then he took a few steps back, clearly preparing to jump.

"Aren't you going to stay?" Picard asked.

"I've got something to do."

"What about the Volatiles?"

"I'm used to dealing with them."

"You haven't even told us your name."

The man glared at him and then sighed. "For whatever it's worth - my name is Kyle Crane." He focused his gaze on the balcony's edge, then ran up to it, jumped off and into the darkness.

"I'm glad he's gone," Q remarked from behind. "He's incredibly rude."

"You should be grateful that he chose to help us," Picard countered. "He could just as well have left u-"

A bright lightning bolt followed by loud thunder interrupted him, and then, only a few seconds later, heavy and thick raindrops began to fall.

Q rolled his eyes. "Great."

"Let's go inside."

Picard walked up to the hatch and only now did he see the stairs that led inside the building. He carefully went down and found himself standing in another living room that looked a lot better than the other on the floor below: The windows had been sealed with wooden planks, the lights were on and the couch had no blood whatsoever on it. The small couch table in front of it was loaded with canned food and heavy water bottles, and two mattresses with sleeping bags on the floor emphasized the fact that this place was intended as one to stay in for a while.

"Cozy," Q remarked sarcastically and slowly closed the hatch behind him.

Picard walked further into the room. "I'd say this is the best we can get under the circumstances."

Q stepped off the wooden stairs. "There isn't even a real bed, and I'm still terrified of sleepi-"

Picard turned around and glared at his companion. "If complaining is all you're going to do in here, I promise I will not be as pleasant a company as you seem to think I am."

Q returned the intense gaze, and for a second Picard thought he looked actually hurt, but then the moment was gone again and the look on Q's face was replaced by his usual attitude. "You might be used to being human. I'm not."

"Then get used to it," Picard snapped. "I won't have you whine and complain all night."

Q pouted but said nothing while Picard sat down on the couch.

Silence.

"Look, Q... I understand this isn't easy for you, but please, could you at least try to pull yourself together...?"

"That's easy for you to say," Q shot back. "You're trained to handle unusual situations like this. I'm not even used to unusual situations - they don't come up very often when you're omnipotent, you know?"

Picard sighed. "Unusual situation or not, we've both got to eat something. Come on, let's see what we've got here, shall we?"

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

"You're really hopeless at this whole climbing thing," the man said and looked at Q, who had just been pulled onto the roof's balcony by Picard and was now lying on the floor, panting.

Q shot him a glare, slowly got up and was just about to say something when the balcony was suddenly drenched in blue light.

"The UV lights," the man remarked. "Finally."

"You mentioned they've been put up to keep Volatiles away," Picard said. "What exactly are Volatiles?"

"Mutated infected that can literally rip you apart. They only appear at night." The man pointed at a nearby open hatch in the balcony's concrete floor. "That's your home for tonight. You can stay out here as well if you want, but I'd recommend going in - we sometimes get heavy thunderstorms at night, and the rain that comes with them drenches everything in seconds."

He turned away, walked up to the edge of the balcony and looked at the house across the street whose shape was only a vague shadow in the semi-darkness. Then he took a few steps back, clearly preparing to jump.

"Aren't you going to stay?" Picard asked.

"I've got something to do."

"What about the Volatiles?"

"I'm used to dealing with them."

"You haven't even told us your name."

The man glared at him and then sighed. "For whatever it's worth - my name is Kyle Crane." He focused his gaze on the balcony's edge, then ran up to it, jumped off and into the darkness.

"I'm glad he's gone," Q remarked from behind. "He's incredibly rude."

"You should be grateful that he chose to help us," Picard countered. "He could just as well have left u-"

A bright lightning bolt followed by loud thunder interrupted him, and then, only a few seconds later, heavy and thick raindrops began to fall.

Q rolled his eyes. "Great."

"Let's go inside."

Picard walked up to the hatch and only now did he see the stairs that led inside the building. He carefully went down and found himself standing in another living room that looked a lot better than the other on the floor below: The windows had been sealed with wooden planks, the lights were on and the couch had no blood whatsoever on it. The small couch table in front of it was loaded with canned food and heavy water bottles, and two mattresses with sleeping bags on the floor emphasized the fact that this place was intended as one to stay in for a while.

"Cozy," Q remarked sarcastically and slowly closed the hatch behind him.

Picard walked further into the room. "I'd say this is the best we can get under the circumstances."

Q stepped off the wooden stairs. "There isn't even a real bed, and I'm still terrified of sleepi-"

Picard turned around and glared at his companion. "If complaining is all you're going to do in here, I promise I will not be as pleasant a company as you seem to think I am."

Q returned the intense gaze, and for a second Picard thought he looked actually hurt, but then the moment was gone again and the look on Q's face was replaced by his usual attitude. "You might be used to being human. I'm not."

"Then get used to it," Picard snapped. "I won't have you whine and complain all night."

Q pouted but said nothing while Picard sat down on the couch.

Silence.

"Look, Q... I understand this isn't easy for you, but please, could you at least try to pull yourself together...?"

"That's easy for you to say," Q shot back. "You're trained to handle unusual situations like this. I'm not even used to unusual situations - they don't come up very often when you're omnipotent, you know?"

Picard sighed. "Unusual situation or not, we've both got to eat something. Come on, let's see what we've got here, shall we?"

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm glad you enjoyed the latest chapter! I briefly considered having Jean-Luc grab Q and shove him up the stairs and back onto the roof but then naaah, that sounds more like something Sisko would do. :laugh:

Just now, Mr.Picard said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the latest chapter! I briefly considered having Jean-Luc grab Q and shove him up the stairs and back onto the roof but then naaah, that sounds more like something Sisko would do. :laugh:

Yeah, Sisko would've been a bit more... forceful. He even shook the bejeezus out of his own dad (!). :ohmy:

tumblr_m2mzqqI22y1rs2d8bo1_500.gif

Personally, I prefer the diplomatic approach; Picard could certainly force & shove Q if he chose to do so (he's kicked leather-bound Klingon butt on occasion), but that's just not his style.  Mine neither.  To quote one of my favorite little '70s movies ("Time After Time"): "The first man to raise a fist is the man who has run out of ideas."  ;)

And I can't wait to see Picard & Q giving domesticity a try...  :giggle:

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, Sisko would've been a bit more... forceful. He even shook the bejeezus out of his own dad (!). :ohmy:

tumblr_m2mzqqI22y1rs2d8bo1_500.gif

Personally, I prefer the diplomatic approach; Picard could certainly force & shove Q if he chose to do so (he's kicked leather-bound Klingon butt on occasion), but that's just not his style.  Mine neither.  To quote one of my favorite little '70s movies ("Time After Time"): "The first man to raise a fist is the man who has run out of ideas."  ;)

And I can't wait to see Picard & Q giving domesticity a try...  :giggle:

I don't think Sisko/Q would be half as fun to write as a pairing as Picard/Q is (which is why there is no Sisko/Q fan fic). Picard/Q means fighting with words, Sisko/Q means fighting with fists, and I know which one I prefer, both as a reader and a writer.

Jean-Luc and Q will have to give living together a try, absolutely - although things won't be as argument-filled as it might seem. There's a side to Q that we get a glimpse at in "Deja Q" and this story expands on that rather than having him and Jean-Luc constantly at odds with one another. Harran isn't the Enterprise. ;)

Just now, Mr.Picard said:

I don't think Sisko/Q would be half as fun to write as a pairing as Picard/Q is (which is why there is no Sisko/Q fan fic). Picard/Q means fighting with words, Sisko/Q means fighting with fists, and I know which one I prefer, both as a reader and a writer.

Jean-Luc and Q will have to give living together a try, absolutely - although things won't be as argument-filled as it might seem. There's a side to Q that we get a glimpse at in "Deja Q" and this story expands on that rather than having him and Jean-Luc constantly at odds with one another. Harran isn't the Enterprise. ;)

I like Sisko, but in a different way.  Frankly, Sisko being in this zone wouldn't be too different from his time in "Future Tense"'s homeless district in San Francisco of 2024 (save for the ravaging mutants, of course).  It'd be little more than an action story.   Picard gives it a depth because this is NOT typical for him; he's commander of the Federation's flagship.   But that doesn't mean he's any less up to the challenge... certainly more so than a disempowered Q. ;)

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I like Sisko, but in a different way.  Frankly, Sisko being in this zone wouldn't be too different from his time in "Future Tense"'s homeless district in San Francisco of 2024 (save for the ravaging mutants, of course).  It'd be little more than an action story.   Picard gives it a depth because this is NOT typical for him; he's commander of the Federation's flagship.   But that doesn't mean he's any less up to the challenge... certainly more so than a disempowered Q. ;)

Yup, if I had put Sisko there he'd just start hacking zombies into pieces and being like "sort your mess out Q, or I'll throttle you at the next possible chance". It would be a very action-oriented story indeed - something I'm totally not aiming for. And Jean-Luc is VERY much up for the challenge - in his own way. He's used to getting his hands dirty, people often underestimate/misinterpret him there, but... well, let's just say that his skills when it comes to sword-fighting will be very useful, as will the excellent shape in which he keeps himself. Also, a lot of moving around in Harran involves the "ancient technique of Parkour"... which.... was invented in FRANCE. FRAAAAAANCE. :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Yup, if I had put Sisko there he'd just start hacking zombies into pieces and being like "sort your mess out Q, or I'll throttle you at the next possible chance". It would be a very action-oriented story indeed - something I'm totally not aiming for. And Jean-Luc is VERY much up for the challenge - in his own way. He's used to getting his hands dirty, people often underestimate/misinterpret him there, but... well, let's just say that his skills when it comes to sword-fighting will be very useful, as will the excellent shape in which he keeps himself. Also, a lot of moving around in Harran involves the "ancient technique of Parkour"... which.... was invented in FRANCE. FRAAAAAANCE. :laugh:

The proper order of blue, white and red... :giggle: