kc1966

Middle Earth

Better prequel  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which prequel is better?

• The Hobbit to LOTR
    • Star Wars prequels to the original Star Wars
    • original Star Wars to current Disney Star Wars
    • Abramverse (Yeah, I know it isn't technically a prequel but it did bring back the TOS characters and reset them with different back stories.)

kc1966   

Hey, Guys.  

Been a while since I have been able to post.  The last Christmas gift my late father bought for me was the extended editions of The Hobbit trilogy.  I must say that the extended editions of it and the LOTR are much better to me than the theatrical releases.   In fact, I like The Hobbit as much as LOTR (and think it is much better than SW prequels and as good as the Abrams Trek movies.) 

That brings me to two questions: I know that there is apparently tension between Tolkien's son and Peter Jackson so The Silmarillion is out of the question.  But since they own the rights to The Hobbit and LOTR would they not own the rights to the Appendices and the characters there and in The Hobbit and LOTR?  If so, could they not make a movie about the war in the north with Dain Ironfoot?  They could take many liberties since so little is said about it and create new characters.  They could even make a role for the elves since they are not featured in many battles in LOTR.  They could also do films based on the the post-LOTR material in the Appendices and make stories from that material about the Fourth Age.  (They would be able to follow familiar characters and have stories about the surviving villain races and create a new leader - like Sauron replaced Melkor.)  

Now to my Trek question - which prequels are better?

Edited by kc1966

maneth   

This is comparing apples to oranges and kiwifruit.

I would like to see the extended editions of the Hobbit movies, though, as the extended editions of LoTR are much better than the theatrical releases.

Prequels only count as such if they're actually made after the movies they supposedly precede, so the SW original series vs. the Disney sequels doesn't count as such. That said, I really enjoyed TFA and I'm looking forward to episodes 8 and 9.

7 hours ago, maneth said:

This is comparing apples to oranges and kiwifruit.

I would like to see the extended editions of the Hobbit movies, though, as the extended editions of LoTR are much better than the theatrical releases.

Prequels only count as such if they're actually made after the movies they supposedly precede, so the SW original series vs. the Disney sequels doesn't count as such. That said, I really enjoyed TFA and I'm looking forward to episodes 8 and 9.

^
I agree that, as a kid who gore up on the SW OT, I can never really see them as prequels to Disney SW.   But I agree with maneth that Disney has done right by the franchise so far.  TFA and Rogue One really bring back 'that old feeling' that was lost with Lucas' prequels.  The magic, for lack of a better word.

None of the prequels listed above truly surpass their originals; for me, at least.  I've seen a small number of prequels that are pretty good, but I can't think of a single one that ever did that for me.  Sequels yes (Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Bride of Frankenstein) but prequels?  Not so much.

And not to nitpick, but I'm not sure if this topic really belongs in Fan Trek; this is generally a section reserved for discussions or submissions of fan-made stuff, such as art, music videos or fan films.   But I haven't had my coffee yet, and I can't think of a more appropriate section to move it into, so I'll get back to that. ;)

PS: I've moved the topic to the Mess Hall; I was going to move it to the Hollywood section, but the Mess Hall allows for greater flexibility and inclusion of non-studio made efforts as well.

Sim   

Can't really think of prequels which really totally convinced me ... I don't like the Lucas SW prequels, for example. And Star Trek? As much as I like ENT, it never reaches the first three Trek shows in terms of quality, in my opinion. Plus in the first three seasons at least, the producers often ignored the prequel concept and many episodes are not too era-specific.

Only thing that comes to my mind is the AMC series "Better Call Saul" which can be considered a prequel to "Breaking Bad", at least technically, because its story is situated before the original show in the same universe. I like the "prequel" spin off almost as much as the original so far. But then, it's perhaps not a "real" prequel, as it doesn't tell the pre-story of the main characters, but of two secondary characters. It's more like a "spin-off of that accidentally happens to play in the past".

Edited by Sim

Sign in to follow this