Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maltz

The Slavers and the ancient humanoids

6 posts in this topic

There's an episode of the Animated Series called "The Slaver Weapon", which states that about a billion years ago, the galaxy was ruled by something called the Slaver Empire until a massive war wiped out virtually all intelligent life for aeons. But then there's that TNG episode where they discover the first humanoids that existed billions of years ago and who seeded many worlds in the galaxy with their own DNA. If we discard the "one billion years ago" line in the TAS episode, is it plausible that the first humanoids and the Slavers were contemporaries, and possibly wiped one another out in the conflict? The hologram recording of the humanoid doesn't actually state that no other life apart from themselves existed in the galaxy in their time; just no life similar to themselves. And the TAS episode shows that the Slavers were distinctly non-humanoid.

I have yet to see the animated series but I am tempted to. This sounds pretty interesting! I do wonder what type of aliens/factions existed before the UFP.

I believe that TAS writer Larry Niven (known for the classic novel, "Ringworld") adapted his own short story, "The Soft Weapon" which included the Kzinti, who were also used in his TAS version ("Slaver Weapon").  So technically they were Larry Niven's canon before they became a part of Star Trek's.

12 minutes ago, The Founder said:

I have yet to see the animated series but I am tempted to. This sounds pretty interesting! I do wonder what type of aliens/factions existed before the UFP.

The animated series is pretty entertaining if you go in with the right attitude.  It is genuine Star Trek stories, albeit shortened for time and presented with admittedly cheap animation...but you get to hear the original cast reprising their roles (in the case of Doohan, a multitude of roles) and you get some far out aliens and some pretty solid storytelling. It is not without its flaws and quirks, but there are episodes of Voyager I find less canon that TAS. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

The animated series is pretty entertaining if you go in with the right attitude.  It is genuine Star Trek stories, albeit shortened for time and presented with admittedly cheap animation...but you get to hear the original cast reprising their roles (in the case of Doohan, a multitude of roles) and you get some far out aliens and some pretty solid storytelling. It is not without its flaws and quirks, but there are episodes of Voyager I find less canon that TAS. 

That's exactly why it sounds so appealing to me. :D Original cast. New episodes (for me at least) and some cool new alien designs.

25 minutes ago, The Founder said:

That's exactly why it sounds so appealing to me. :D Original cast. New episodes (for me at least) and some cool new alien designs.

It's available on Netflix, time give it a whirl!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0