Me, later on tonight...

crying-gif-11.gif

49 minutes ago, Space Elf said:

I'm sorry but the truth must come out

tumblr_nam0pt8gzd1smrflxo4_250_zpsm8edqm

So cruel... :P

tenor.gif

Corylea   

To me, those seem so minor as to not be worth mentioning.  The miracle of TOS is always how well they did with how little they had, whether that be time, money, or support from the network.  They were all working insane hours, a lot of scenes only got a single take, they had a tiny handful of producers and story editors overseeing the whole shebang, and yet it started a phenomenon that continues to this day.

A hint of plywood or a glimpse of microphone means nothing to me.  Besides, my aged eyes probably can't see those things, anyway. :P

6 hours ago, Corylea said:

To me, those seem so minor as to not be worth mentioning.  The miracle of TOS is always how well they did with how little they had, whether that be time, money, or support from the network.  They were all working insane hours, a lot of scenes only got a single take, they had a tiny handful of producers and story editors overseeing the whole shebang, and yet it started a phenomenon that continues to this day.

A hint of plywood or a glimpse of microphone means nothing to me.  Besides, my aged eyes probably can't see those things, anyway. :P

As a member of the glasses-wearing community, I agree; a few of those I'd been aware of but most I hadn't.   One I remember spotting as a kid (when my eyes were much sharper) was a shadow walking across the set in "Space Seed" when Khan hears that Kirk is coming and walks up to a doorway to surprise him.   You can SEE the head and shoulders of a man's shadow walking across the foreground of the set...and I spotted that one on my parent's crappy old 25" Zenith! :laugh:

But yes, I agree; technical gaffes mean little in the service of a good adventure, and ST certainly succeeded in that.  I'm also a fan of the classic Doctor Who series, and that one also has its share of gaffes as well.  But honestly, they rarely (if ever) bothered me.  The fact that I only noticed them on repeated viewings is a testament to the ability of these classic shows to cast such a powerful spell over their audiences. 

I equate them with a good magic show; you're show busy watching what you're supposed to watch that you don't notice the slight of hand or the hidden compartment...

My favorite goof is from the end of my favorite episode, The Lights of Zetar.  If you look just below Spock's right elbow you will see a discarded newspaper laying in plain sight on the floor. As many times as I've seen this episode over the years, I had never noticed that until I read about it online.  When I watched it again and saw that I thought, "Holy cow!"  :ohmy:  I don't know how many takes this scene got, perhaps only one, but even Nimoy apparently didn't notice, even though it was in his peripheral vision.  Fascinating......

thelightsofzetarhd1552.jpg

54 minutes ago, TLOZ Lover said:

My favorite goof is from the end of my favorite episode, The Lights of Zetar.  If you look just below Spock's right elbow you will see a discarded newspaper laying in plain sight on the floor. As many times as I've seen this episode over the years, I had never noticed that until I read about it online.  When I watched it again and saw that I thought, "Holy cow!"  :ohmy:  I don't know how many takes this scene got, perhaps only one, but even Nimoy apparently didn't notice, even though it was in his peripheral vision.  Fascinating......

thelightsofzetarhd1552.jpg

^
Um... yeah, maybe that newspaper was taken from the uh... the ship's library, yeah...

Yeah+that%2527s+the+ticket.jpg

.... maybe McCoy had to look up some uh... 20th century research on er, um... exorcism, yeah, yeah, that's it..

These are not really goofs to me. The old show was replete with interesting nits to pick.Maybe in the TOS universe they also keep newspapers.

Not to mention using those old spool tape computers and sounds from them clicking away in the background. Ha.

And McCoy's handheld round scanner is a salt shaker, hence the hilarious blooper from the classic gag reel where Kirk jumps up to rub his eye. He got salt in it.

And in Arena when they go to the colony planet, the background of the model set miniature (of the destroyed base) is peeling off and you can see the sky is rumpled and looks like aluminum. Heh. In the remastered version they removed the tinfoil backing and redid the shot.

Also in Spectre of the Gun you can kind of see the Malcotian head is a puppet with a human arm in it.

In an early shot of the Abrams Trek bridge, circa 2009, there is a clearly evident spool of gray duct tape on the Helm console next to the Apple scanners. It is in the movie! Well even in the future, they are still using duct 'duck tape' tape. It is versatile and useful.

Edited by Chimera82405